FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charter Committee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charter Committee
    Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 6:33am
Today's Journal has an article stating that the Charter Committee started the process of reviewing yesterday. The article had a comment from Les Landen who stated, " only the people can change the charter". It is my understanding that the Charter Committee can make RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CHANGE to the Council, but it is ultimately up to the Council to accept or reject those changes and to allow the people to vote on those changes. Is that not so? I thought there was a roadblock between the Charter Committee recommending changes and the changes being placed on the ballot for the people's approval. That roadblock would be Council. ???? Please advise.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 6:47am
Vet
That is my understanding also
Mr. Landen should have said " only the people can change the charter"...my their vote.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 7:21am
You folks are correct--BUT...

(There's always a "but", isn't there?)...

The citizens can always put ANY Charter amendment on the ballot by "referendum"!  It is a difficult process, though. 

And I see that some folks want to try to make it more difficult for the average citizen to run for City office!  Probably the same ones who want to keep the same folks in power generation after generation.  Thumbs%20Down
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 7:37am
Vet from Dayton Daily News 2-13-09:

Lots for the Charter Review Committee to consider

By Ed Richter | Friday, February 13, 2009, 01:54 AM

The 2009 Charter Review Committee has only been sworn-in and organized for less than a week but the 15-member committee already has plenty to think about just from recent comments by members of Middletown City Council and the city’s Park Board.

Council selected the electors who will review the city’s main governing document, and it will be council who will determine if the committee’s recommendations will get forwarded to the voters for final approval at the November general election.

So much for "only the people can change the charter," not city council."  as Landen was quoted in his statement.

Any bets we get to vote on raising Council's compensation but not much else of Substance.  Their I go again being negative....slap.Ouch
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 8:40pm
Then, given this information, if one was not a fan of the current regime and wanted to try to change the way the city is operated by changing the charter,suggesting any hint of going against the way things are now is an exercise in futility as Council has the right to shoot down any opposition to their little empire. One would be wasting their time to participate. This is another example of offering citizens a chance to be involved on committees and slamming the door in their face when they voice an opinion that is contrary to their beliefs. On the other hand, if you volunteer for these committees just to provide an echo to what Council is saying, why go just to be their little hand puppet? It's amazing how many people just sit in these committee meetings, offer nothing and nod their heads like good little soldiers should. I've seen it in action. Gee, and they wonder why some of us don't buy Council's nonsense. Amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic