FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not Looking Good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Looking Good
    Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 5:53am

I watched part of the School Board Meeting last night and the scores are not looking good again this year. What on earth is going on in these schools?
…or maybe it’s what’s not going on. Even with all of the new extra reading programs the scores have increased very little. And then we have the math scores…these are a total disgrace and falling. The reason given for the declining math scores…”they had put all their effort into increasing the reading scores”. WHAT!! Are they now telling us that these children can’t learn more than one subject at a time?
TIME FOR YEAR AROUND SCHOOLS to save the minds of these children.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 7:18am
Vivian- There are those on the Midd. Journal Message Board under the Middletown Board of Education's blog that would disagree with you as to the condition/performance of the schools. Someone posting as "a teacher", "tutor" and "Smartman" are staunch defenders of the faith over there. Apparently it doesn't matter what the numbers are or how long the schools have been producing the low numbers, according to them, we are all being negative about our "continuing improvement" schools. If you criticize the school system or the admin. or teachers that are a part of it, for poor numbers/performance, you are being negative. The demographics, the excessive number of Section 8 with parents who don't care about their children's education, kids coming to school hungry, the admin. are preventing the teachers from teaching, the pay is too low to attract decent skilled teachers, the public doesn't respect our profession, all reasons are commonly used to explain why the scores are always low. It is a scenario that has repeated itself many times over the years with little improvement. It is sad to see that there is no one in this school system that can or wants to make radical changes to show real improvement. Some just seem to float along toward that tenure and eventually - retirement.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 7:33am
It is business as usual at the MCSD.  In the last 5 years we have heard every excuse under the sun as to why the schools continue to under perform and in some cases fail, except one, "We as the BOE and Admin aren't getting the job done."
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 8:21am
Vet
With scores this low we would be money ahead to buy every child in the school system a new computer and have an on line school system.
I can’t imagine what some of my old teachers would say if they could walk into one of these classrooms today. In the old days they demanded respect and they told you the first day of school that they expected you to succeed or die trying. If I received a “C” on a daily assignment…that day I was given extra homework on the subject to make sure it didn’t happen again…and she also informed you that she didn’t have any “average” students in her classes. Then she would give you the dreaded LOOK.  

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 8:55am
How schools operated in the distant past has little to do with procedures today.
Remember--we had a much higher class of students when hospital, steel and paper industries headquartered within the city and their upper management lived here.
That exodus + the section 8 flood brought on by Council/Admin has seriously altered the face of our student population.

All that being said, we are still not getting the job done.
Obviously Dr.Price sees the writing on the wall, and is trying to land a new position before the next round of scores/ratings become public. Anything less than noticeable improvement pretty much equals failure for the current school admin/system.

MCSD will get no help from Council(iof you remember--their "meeting a couple of years ago resulted in a lot of back and forth finger-pointing). We can remove Ms.Andrews next fall IF someone different enters the race, and we can also replace the board pres(Rev.Tyus) if desired. Despite the Rev. never being elected to his position, I think that he has done a respectable job, in that he does not shirk the issues, does not make excuses, and has always been very open and straight-forward in conversation. He is hardly the problem.

Yes, Vet---those "teachers" on the MJ forum had better get their spin machine in order. The current board might well take action IF the new scores take a drop. Maybe MMF will recruit better school board candidates also, though their main focus seems to be keeping all avenues open for AK,SunCoke and the  Atrium.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 10:53am
Echo from Spider: Obviously Dr.Price sees the writing on the wall, and is trying to land a new position before the next round of scores/ratings become public. Anything less than noticeable improvement pretty much equals failure for the current school admin/system.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 2:22pm
So now they want us to believe that all the dumbest kids in Ohio just happened to end up in the Middletown Schools...What a joke!...It's not the kids that are dumb it's the school system...If they want anymore of my money they better get busy an earn it.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 2:46pm
Vivian why do you think Miller Ridge, use to be Rosedale does and did so well?
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 6:31pm
Hey Vet, I resent the fact that you want to  speak for me! I do not need you putting a spin on what I have said. I am perferctly able to speak for myself! Got it Dude! I am a supporter of the schools. My children have scored high on tests, 2 have graduated with honors, and my last is number one in her class at MHS. An NO I am not a teacher. Is there a problem in the schools, you bet your a#@. My daughters class has a number of parents that are involved in their childrens school life and those students are doing very well. On the other hand there are that many more parents that do not give a s%$#. Those students are failing!

It is not all Dr Prices fault as I have stated before. It is a combination of admin, teachers and parents. If parents don't care then most likely the students won't! And in those cases the teachers feel like they are fighting an uphill battle. It is not just here in M-Town. It is very difficult to teach economically challenged students.

I challenge you to go to MHS and walk the halls and watch the students. You can tell the ones that care and those that don't. If you want someone to hold your hand I will meet you there and point out the good students and the bad.

Going forward do no speak for me!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 6:42am
Smartman-I'm not trying to speak for you. You are a big boy and can manage your own opinions. I am not trying to put a "spin" on what you say. You stated in your post " I am a supporter of the schools" (5th sentence of your post) My post above says that you are a staunch supporter of the schools. What spin would you be referring to? You verified my earlier post. Now, if we're done with the schoolyard talk, I'll congratulate you on your children's accomplishments. Agree- it is not all Dr. Prices fault, but he is the captain of the ship and therfore inherits all that goes with that title, the good and the bad. Don't need to have you hold my hand. Don't need to meet you there to see what is going on in the schools. Had a son in the school system years ago. I know the atmosphere. As for the "Got it Dude" comment- Are we still talking as if we were still in high school after all this time, Smartman? (or dude, whichever you prefer). Oh, by the way, you have no worries "going forward" as to me speaking for you. We're on opposing sides as to support of the schools. I don't wish to lower the bar any further.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 7:02am
Wow dudes--are there REALLY two sides here?
Or just one side with varied opinions?
There is enough truth and common thinking between both of you imo.

Not 2 b butting in or speaking for either of you.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 7:40am
Pacman,
Poor does not equal low IQ...that has been proven time and time again.
However it is more difficult for them to succeed..but they can.
Having well educated parents is an advantage for any child.
I just don't buy the message of the board...it just can't be all the fault of the children that the scores are so bad. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 10:48am
"Having well educated parents is an advantage for any child."  My point exactly.

I never said being Poor equals low IQ, by the way.

Thomas Jefferson
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 10:51am
Maybe we as a Nation need to re-examine our value system.  This was supposedly written by a 15 year old student from OhioClap:

NEW SCHOOL PRAYER :

Now I sit me down in school
 Where praying is against the rule
 For this great nation under God
 Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,
 It violates the Bill of Rights.
 And anytime my head I bow
 Becomes a Federal matter now..

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
 That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
 The law is specific, the law is precise.
 Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
 Might offend someone with no faith at all.
 In silence alone we must meditate,
 God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
 And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks..
 They' ve outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
 To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
 And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
 It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,
 We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
 Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
 But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
 No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,
 When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
 So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
 Should I be shot; My soul please take!
 Amen

Thomas Jefferson
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

TIME FOR YEAR AROUND SCHOOLS to save the minds of these children.

If the kids are in a system where they can't learn what is expected of them in a traditional school year I doubt giving them more time in that same environment would change anything.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 10:59am
I never said being Poor equals low IQ, by the way.

Pacman, No you didn't...but that IS what the school board continues to say the problem is "Low Income". I'm not saying that Section 8 isn't a problem BUT it is not the only problem effecting these scores and our schools.
Thank goodness my children are grown!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 11:08am
"If the kids are in a system where they can't learn what is expected of them in a traditional school year I doubt giving them more time in that same environment would change anything."

Arwendt
Good point and well made and a sad truth for the students.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 12:10pm
Mr. 80Vet, Your post 6th line down states had a son in the system years ago. MY POINT EXACTLY!!! Again I challenge you to step out of your comfort zone and take a test drive in the 2009 model. I can assure that it is quite different than when your son was in school.

Just remember this is the here and now, and we cannot relive yesteryear, no matter how badly we would like to. My oldest graduated in 1998 and the atmosphere at school is totally different than when he was a student.

A student does not have to come from a poor background to do badly in school. Home life and responsibilities taught at home contribute to success. Its called pride in yourself.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 3:32pm
Smartman- Mr. 80Vet???? Good guess, but only a family connection. 80 Vet (te) is another member with negative vibes toward organizations that deserve the wrath of negativity when describing their ineptness. He shows more contempt toward authority figures that deserve no respect than I do. Unlike me, he says things that irritate some people. He wants to live in the past and thinks things were better then - I accept any old crap that comes down the road which is quite popular these days.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 4:56pm
Apoligies to 80Vet. VietVet same comments to you! This is a different generation than the one your son grew up in years ago! Get out of your comfort zone and see for yourself. It is very easy to complain when you are not willing to really go and see what has changed. I can say with great confidence that the atmosphere today is quite different than the days when our kids were there.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 6:28pm
Smartman, please elaborate on what is different now in the say the way High School is now.  My son is not there yet but will be in a few years.

Thomas Jefferson
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 7:25pm
There is a true economic difference, since I was theer, my son's (graduated 98 and 03) and now my daughter (class 0f 2011) That is true in any community so let me clear about that. We are victims of our city's section 8 policy, family problems, and the attitude from parents that what ever the students get is the teachers and schools responsibility. I learned the hard way as a kid growing up in this district. My parents expected me to succeed and there weree consequences if I didn't! A belt and confimed to my room. No cell phones or computers, or cable! Can you relate Vet?

Problem students have the idea that an education is owed them, rules dont matter and they are not to be held accountable. This is not the majority of students at MHS, but the few that bring down test scores and just dont care. I can show you many that do care. My daughter for example has a 4.25 gpa and asked for help for the OGT on her own. As did a large group of her friends.

I know it has been said that I am a staunch supporter and I will wear the tag proud. I dont always agree with Dr Price or decisions from downtown. AQll I know is my child is successful because of her own drive and her mother and fathers involvement in her life. Her friends are successful for the same reasons.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 7:49pm
Agreed Smartman, but hasn't the education system also contributed to much of this problem?  When I was in school discipline was a must and you respected your teachers even if you didn't learn that at home.

One or two students weren't allowed to be a constant distraction in class, after x number of problems you were out the door and into a classroom that dealt with those students.  Today it is lets caudle them and try to understand them and on and on and on.

I live near the High School and see the problems on a regular basis believe me.  Many students has zero respect for their elders, other peoples property etc. and calling the school might as well go out and spit into the wind.  I agree it starts at home but the ones that lack discipline and initiative are just pushed on thru the system.

Thomas Jefferson
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 9:22pm
Pacman, Back in our day we had punishment in school. It was called paddling! I got a time or 2 and I'm sure you did as well. Hands are tied for the schools. Can't paddle, cant suspend without an appeal, and the parents that need to be at conference dont show up! to that, there is nothing that the teachers or admin can do. Maybe it should become a state mandate that parents go to conferences. Problem students and parents meet with the schools administrators, teachers, and the psycologist. This way everyone is affected from the financally challenged to the well doers!
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 10:21pm

Schools should just try to educate all instead of trying to sort.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic