FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying Sorg Mansion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying Sorg Mansion
    Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:10am
Interesting blog on how much it would take to buy and rehab the Sorg Mansion from people who have looked at it. 

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:32am

Pacman

The last time I talked with Harry we were looking at about a million and that was manyl years ago....so I would say about a million and a half now. Lot of work is needed.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:39am
I agree Vivian whatever the figure ends up being add 50%  to that and you might be close.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 11:09am
I think Sorg house should be on councils demolition list. Lets demolish it since it serves no purpose & could be a danger to the public.
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 12:06pm
I would have to agree with Scrapmonkey on this one.
The $$ needed to re-furbish the place far exceeds any value or use of the property.
It is too far gone now--they missed their opportunity long ago.

Buy-it-fix it-then what?
A new home for the Historical Society?

Plus, how can the Admin justify the purchase cost and the necessary fix-ups to meet their code violations, then tell everyone else that they are stone broke?

Finklemens should part it out, then sell the property for demolition.
That whole cornershould be changed towards the future.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 12:54pm
I would like to know where the money is coming from? If they buy this then they had damn well better fix up the cemetery. Right is right and wrong is wrong. It is wrong to spend that kind of money and not fix up the cemetery.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:29pm
Is it possible she was referring to the Sorg Paper Plant? 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Interesting blog on how much it would take to buy and rehab the Sorg Mansion from people who have looked at it. 

Pacman: thank you for that link!!  I noticed something very interesting in one of the posts by someone who calls themself "MADCOW":
"The house is over priced given the restoration costs.  I am currently restoring an 1870's, 6,000+ sf house that was used as a nursing home for the past 40 years that has seen extensive abuse and remodelaing.  In my perspective, the Sorg Mansion is in pretty good shape.

What the property needs is a great business plan.  Several years ago I spoke with a potential buyer that wanted to use the carriage house as a micro-winery and bistro.  The house would be a B&B on the upper floors with the main floor for receptions & events.  The owner would live in the 3,700 sf. servant's house.  The property needs a plan that would generate the cash flow to pay the operation and maintenance expenses.  (the house is horribly inefficient for energy consumption in its current state).

The property is eligible for state and federal tax credits for historic rehabilitation.  There is also a possibility for City financial assistance.
I guess that we all know who owns that "1870's, 6,000+ sf house that was used as a nursing home", so tell us, Mr. Kohler...oops...I mean MADCOW:

1.     Since "There is also a possibility for City financial assistance" for restoration of the Sorg mansion, why isn't there "City financial assistance" available for the restoration Pioneer Cemetery???

2.    How much "City financial assistance", if any, was used in the restoration of the "1870's, 6,000+ sf house that was used as a nursing home for the past 40 years"???

3.    How many federal dollars,if any, were funneled through the city's administration of programs such as Community Development Block Grants to end up being used in the restoration of the "1870's, 6,000+ sf house that was used as a nursing home for the past 40 years"???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 6:03pm

Years ago when I talked with Harry, we were talking about making the Sorg Mansion into a B& B with a German Restaurant downstairs.

Mr. Kohler did receive CDBG money to help fix up that little house of his and it's all a matter of public record.

scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2009 at 11:17am
I don't want to see Sorg torn down it's historical value & decor is much to important. I think it's a shame that the city let whoever turn it into apartments and destroy it the way they did. That goes beyond pathetic.
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2009 at 10:48pm
You can thank Mr. Finkleman for that. The so-called "savior" of Middletown's treasures.

Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 11:58pm
Let's have a much improved voter turnout this year from Wards 1, 2 and 4.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 1:47am
Demolishing this marvelous part of our history shouldn't even be considered.  Shame on anyone that wants to tear it down!

Isn't it protected?  I thought it was on the national registry or something?
lewcrippen12 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewcrippen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 4:14am
I took tap dance lesson in one of the apartment & the walls have hand curved faces in the cherry colored wood.

Thanks

Regards
Lew

Outsource Telemarketing
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by lewcrippen12 lewcrippen12 wrote:

I took tap dance lesson in one of the apartment & the walls have hand curved faces in the cherry colored wood.

Thanks

Regards
Lew

Outsource Telemarketing
Lap dance lessons you say ?
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 10:17pm
When a few of us toured the property with Mr. Finkelman several years ago, he explained that the interior walls, doors, woodwork, built-ins, etc., were as they were when his father purchased it from Mr. Sorg, with the exception of the old garden/green house. The rooms had been rented as apartments since sometime in the late 30's or 40's, if I remember correctly.  The building's integrity was maintained throughout the years, including many of the original fixtures and stained glass. I even noticed that the antique curtain rods hanging in front of the sliding doors on the first floor were still in place. This is not a property to be demolished, but one to treasure and be thankful that it is not in worse shape or the condition that so many seem to think that it is. From the recent pictures posted on the on that Facebook site,  it seems that much has remained the same since we toured. 
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 11:09pm
I agree. I wish I could check the place out myself. From what I understand it isn't in bad shape at all. It isn't perfect, but all old houses, even the Sorg house, will need some TLC. I have seen many less grand houses with a lot of the original stuff taken out go for a LOT of money. This place deserves to be saved.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 1:19am
I always wonder why, if such structures were such treasures, lovers of them do not raise the necessary funds, purchase them, and tenderly care for them.  Why do they always want the taxpayers to do the purchasing and caring, and leave only the using and enjoying to the purported "lovers" of the buildings, at which time the taxpayers are barred from entering.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 1:19am
Did they already start fixing it up? The guy buying it used to post on here then disappeared. I was talking to someone the other day that told me they heard a person from either Kentucky or Tennessee was buying it now. Too many stories to keep up with on that property!
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 11:47am
Well I am fixing up my house with no taxpayer help. Usually that is what people do. Just because a few people im Middletown may do it, doesn't mean all us old house lovers do it. The best I could hope for is some kind of tax credit. If I had the money I would buy the Sorg house and fix it up. I would most likely make the main house into a museum, and live in the guest house. There were a few houses like that in Abiline Kansas I toured. You pay a couple bucks to get a guided tour of a place, and sometimes the tour guide lived in the house. If that could happen to the Sorg it would be great. Then everyone could see the place. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 12:02pm
Knock down the city building and move city hall into the Sorg mansion and guesthouse. Would go with our arts center/art studios/olde tyme theme for the downtown area and allow some of the city leaders who want this for the downtown to participate in it's theme.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 2:31pm
What is funny is if the Sorg mansion was in any other city it would be a huge tourist attraction. Probably a center piece for any downtown setting,but only in Middeltown could it be considered an eye sore or rental property.

I am very surprised it is not section 8 with alcoholics,hookers and drug addicts renting rooms. That would make a great tourist attraction with beer cans all over the lawn and hookers standing out front.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 2:48pm
Hermes, may I remind you who lives right down the street from the Sorg? Mr. Kohler. Mr. Mulligan and other prominent city leaders who live in this area would never allow the section 8, hooker, drugs, beer can thing to transpire in their area. The S. Main St. Historical Society would never let this happen.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 3:57pm
Maybe we should have a toast on the corner using our beer mugs.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 4:22pm
Hermes, not sure if that is sarcasm or not, but to those new to this forum, the Sorg did have Section 8 renters & drug dealers (according to the Journal a drug bust happened there a couple years ago). Officially we can call the Sorg a former "crack house".

Yes, only in Middletown would such an incredible looking building be nothing but a joke. I thought Finkelman was supposed to be some great real estate investor all these years. If that is so, how come so many of his properties are in shambles? Buildings don't fall apart that fast. It takes years and years for the type of decay his properties seem to have. I know some people want to give him credit for saving the Sorg, but it was never in danger of being demolished during his ownership. He didn't save it, he milked it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic