FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Obama Keep Us Safe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Obama Keep Us Safe?
    Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 3:55pm

He has told our enemies that we won't torture them for information, will our enemies do the same?

Sure, they won't torture us, they just cut off our heads. That's not torture.
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 4:27pm
What a crock !! Bush jr started this crap of democrats not protecting the people cause he knew that if a dem got elected his barbaric ways would be found illegal & pathetic. Do we really need to stoop to a lower level to protect this country ? NO ! Torturing people will not protect a country. It's pathetic & goes against everything this country stands for.
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 5:05pm
Actually torturing people DID protect our country.
The initial group of higher-level Al Qaeda captured revealed much info about the next wave of attacks, names and locations of other terrorists. This happened very quickly after 9/11.This info probably saved thousands of lives. I believe waterboarding and other drastic measures were used. Nothing short of those methods has been nearly as successful.

Ya just do what ya gotta do sometimes, scrapmonkey, and it don't matter at all on which side of the aisle you cherish.

War is not pretty, and often there are no good alternatives other than those that produce the desired results.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 5:48pm
Agree Spider.  If waterboarding is what it takes go for it.  Funny we don't hear the Dem's wailing about chopping off heads, torture and killing of American Soldiers in Iraq  and other countries in that region of the world.  It was all a 24 hr sound bite for the news and the Dem's.  But they are ready to hang people in the U.S. Government that protected us for 8 years.  Absolutely no logic to this farce that is about to be played out, for absolutely no other reason than to satisfy some rabid obsession against Conservatives.

ScrapMonkey you invite the terrorist over for a cup of tea and make sure it is not to hot and burns their tongues god forbid it might be considered torture.

I'll go for the Waterboarding if it means protecting American lives and this country.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 7:40pm

Churchill historian, automotive and travel writer

Obama, Churchill and Torture

30 April 2009

in In the News, Quotations, Red Herrings

In his press conference of 29 April, in response to a question on the disclosure of top secret memos on the use of “enhanced interrogation methods,” Mr. Obama said:

I was struck by an article that I was reading the other day talking about the fact that the British during World War II, when London was being bombed to smithereens, had 200 or so detainees. And Churchill said, ‘We don’t torture,’ when the entire British—all of the British people—were being subjected to unimaginable risk and threat….the reason was that Churchill understood — you start taking shortcuts, over time, that corrodes what’s best in a people. It corrodes the character of a country.

While it’s nice to hear the President invoke Sir Winston, the quotation is unattributed and almost certainly incorrect. While Churchill did express such sentiments with regard to prison inmates, he said no such thing about prisoners of war, enemy combatants or terrorists, who were in fact tortured by British interrogators during World War II.

The word “torture” appears 156 times in my digital transcript of Churchill’s 15 million published words (books, articles, speeches, papers) and 35 million words about him—but not once in the subject context. Similarly, key phrases like “character of a country” or “erodes the character” do not track.

Obama seems to have been misled by Andrew Sullivan’s recent article in The Atlantic, “Churchill vs. Cheney,” which calmly urges that Vice President Cheney be prosecuted. The British, Sullivan wrote,

captured over 500 enemy spies operating in Britain and elsewhere. Most went through Camp 020, a Victorian pile crammed with interrogators. As Britain’s very survival hung in the balance, as women and children were being killed on a daily basis and London turned into rubble, Churchill nonetheless knew that embracing torture was the equivalent of surrender to the barbarism he was fighting….

“Churchill nonetheless knew” appears suddenly and with no evidence to back it up. Sullivan makes no other reference to Churchill, or to how he divined Churchill’s views on torture.

Sullivan likely picked this up in a three-year-old article about Camp 020’s chief interrogator, Col. Robin “Tin Eye” Stephens. In “The Truth that Tin Eye Saw,” by Ben Macintyre (London Times Online, 10 February 2006), Stephens is identified as an MI5 officer who extracted confessions out of Nazis: “a bristling, xenophobic martinet; in appearance, with his glinting monocle and cigarette holder, he looked exactly like the caricature Gestapo interrogator.” Stephens was terrifying, Macintyre wrote:

Suspects often left the interrogation cells legless with fear after an all-night grilling….he deployed threats, drugs, drink and deceit. But he never once resorted to violence….This was no squishy liberal: the eye was made of tin, and the rest of him out of tungsten. (Indeed, he was disappointed that only sixteen spies were executed during the war.) His motives were strictly practical. “Never strike a man. It is unintelligent, for the spy will give an answer to please, an answer to escape punishment. And having given a false answer, all else depends upon the false premise.”

Nowhere does Macintyre mention or quote Churchill. Incidentally, Stephens was cleared of a charge of “disgraceful conduct of a cruel kind” and told he was free to apply to rejoin his former employers at MI5.

The CIA argues that “enhanced interrogation” works, Obama and John McCain say it does not. Whomever is right, the “Tin Eye” Stephens story is just another red herring—because according to recent research the British did use such methods: in the “London Cage,” a POW camp in the heart of London, where SS and Gestapo captives were subject to beatings, sleep deprivation and starvation.” *

Churchill spoke frequently about torture, mostly enemy murders of civilians. His daughter once told me, “He would have done anything to win the war, and I daresay he had to do some pretty rough things—but they didn’t unman him.” But if Churchill is on record about “enhanced interrogation,” his words have yet to surface.

The nearest I could come to his sentiments refers not to terrorists but to prison inmates. In 1938, responding to a constituent who urged him to help end the use of the “cat o’nine tails” in prisons, Churchill wrote: “the use of instruments of torture can never be regarded by any decent person as synonymous with justice.”**

If that line appeals to Mr. Obama, he can certainly use it with confidence.

Endnotes

* Ian Corbain, “The Secrets of the London Cage,” The Guardian, 12 November 2005. The Cage was kept secret, Corbain, wrote, though a censored account appeared in the memoirs of its commandant, Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Scotland. Corbain does not mention Churchill, but to believe Churchill wasn’t aware of this activity would be asking a lot.

** Martin Gilbert, editor, Winston S. Churchill, Companion Volume V, Part 3: Documents: The Coming of War 1936-1939. London, Heinemann: 1982, 1292. n.2.

Grateful acknowledgement to Alex Spillius, “Obama Likes Winston Churchill After All,” Daily Telegraph, 30 April 2009, and to Telegraph readers responding to his article.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 6:19am
Will Obama keep us safe:

Since taking Office:

North Korea has waived the Middle Finger at the world and  started up their Nuclear Program once again.

Iran continues to waive the Middle finger at the world and continues to play the Obama Admin for time to complete its Nuclear aspirations.

Pakistan a Nuclear Power is on the verge of collapse, it seems the Taliban and Al Qaeda have moved on from Afghanistan, a less than Third World Country, to one that opens up a whole new world of opportunity to them to totally destabilize the region and the World.

Obama has basically been told by the EU you are on your own and he has now moved on to try and make friends with Chavez and Castro, two Non-World Powers that to me are Insignificant at this time.

We are closing Gitmo and Gates just asked Congress for $50 Million to build a Prison in America to house up to 100 Gitmo Prisoners....whoops I mean detainees, logic on this one escapes me.  It has also been suggested that the Obama Admin is going to have to pay other countries to take some of these detainees off our hands and that we will be paying welfare and support to some of the ones that will be allowed to move to America and settle down, yeah the good old American way, put them on welfare, don't you love it, isn't there a vacancy near the White House somewhere.  Next step is probably the USA will be sued by these detainees for Millions and the sad part is they will probably win.  From now on all detainees must be taken to McDonalds for a Happy Meal and be put up in a Motel 6, wait holy crap that might be torture.

Clinton asked Congress to appropriate another $100 Million for North Korea, so that we can once again be duped into paying them to come back to the Table for talks.

It seems the Obama strategy is to spend money we don't have in order to save the World.

We now also have Congress foaming at the mouth to go after some Bush Admin Officials to Pacify the Liberals for Obamas plan to keep and increase troops in Afghanistan and for not pulling out of Iraq as quick as the liberals would like.

Ah yes we can all feel safer, as Obama, Soros and MoveOn.org are on the job.

Thomas Jefferson
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 7:31am
As my favorite Billy Cunningham would say, "Pacman, you are a great American!"
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 9:27am

History clearly tells us that George Bush Jr. wasn't the first and he will not be the last to use ANY and ALL means possible to keep us safe...

Are you willing to strap a bomb to your sister, wife or child so we can have and equally fair war? I think not.
WAR AIN'T PRETTY!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:01am
Well I feel sorry for everyone who supports torture. So tell me,during Vietnam our soldiers were tortured by the North Vietnamese,did any of you support that since it was WAR ? And how come you don't support the beheading of soldiers today in Iraq since it's WAR ? That excuse is just as pathetic as "it keeps us safe". You can fight a war without torture,torture is not about fighting a war. Torture results from hatred. Torture is a morbid procedure for gaining control. I'm not ignorant,I know torture is as old as the ages itself,but in this modern day why do we,as the most civilized nation in the world,need to do it ? Not one of the replies here has a good explanation for using it.
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:51am
"Not one of the replies here has a good explanation for using it."

Preventing the death of Americans is a good enough reason for me or an eminent attack on Americans. 

"And how come you don't support the beheading of soldiers today in Iraq since it's WAR?"

Your idea of what torture is and enhanced interrogation procedures are two different things.  You would let Amercians die to preserve your idealogy about torture, I and many other Amercians wouldn't. 

Thomas Jefferson
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 1:38pm
"Not one of the replies here has a good explanation for using it."

Scrapmonkey
My only son is now serving and has been sent to the Middle East four times.

Maybe when your son is in the line of fire we will talk again.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 1:45pm
ScrapMonkey you and Obama should make this required reading for all terrorists and enemies of the US of A, as if it isn't already mandatory reading for all terrorists.

Like I said take them McD's for a Big Mac and then to Motel 6.  Wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 4:44pm
Don't care about people's rights in war, just survival. I'm not convinced that waterboarding was effective on all terrorists. Saw stories where individuals were waterboarded many times and they still didn't get the info out of them. A stronger, more effective method should be used on some of them. We also need to televise these methods as they do the beheadings and send them to all terrorists cells including them thare Taliwackers. What do they fear the most that will prevent them from meeting their maker? That's what we need to do- play to their fears of not fulfilling the Koran and televise it. Deny 'em those virgins! Show them we can be brutal too if need be. I have no compassion for anyone who doesn't value life so why show any? The US cares too much about it's image in the world as it relates to brutality and is too careful not to anger the Muslim world. The terrorists could care less about the brutality thing and use the Muslim anger card against us. Maybe it's time we stopped caring so much and stopped being so selective on who's a-- we kick.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 8:01pm
Vivian,I can appreciate what your son is doing,there is nothing as sacred as serving your country,like so many I too served for 6 years. I think what everyone is missing here is that TORTURE is a lot different than INTERROGATING. You can interrogate without using the barbaric ways of torture,two totally seperate things. How would any one of you feel if you were to be arrested for a crime (and being possibly innocent) and instead of being interrogated you were tortured ? Everyone of you would be running to a lawyer so fast your head would spin. And why is it ok to torture suspected terrorist but it's not ok for them to torture your loved ones ? Anyone here ever hear of the Geneva Convention ? And no the terrorist are not going to live by the convention rules,but we have to ! We are the example,if we do not want to turn the entire Muslim world against us then we must exercise what we have preached for decades. We as a nation and people are above this type of treatment. If we stoop to the level of the terrorist then we become what they claim we are,we become terrorist ourselves.
scrapmonkey

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 8:28pm
Scrap Monkey -

How would you feel if you'd worked for the City of Middletown and performed your duties at or above required standards only to be forced out the door because you knew too much about mismanagement and waste of Federal funds.  To me, that was torture of an emotional kind that sent me twice to Atrium Hospital.  Needless to say, there are negative financial aspects as well.

The emotional part was mostly verbal and as mean, sadistic and humiliating as I could ever imagine.  So, in my humble experience, I'e experienced torture here on the home front in Middletown, Ohio courtesy of the "suddenly recently retired" and current municipal government elitists!

Nelson Self
CD Administrator ("RESIGNED??")
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 1:51pm
WARNING THIS POST CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATTER ABOUT A SERIOUS ISSUE.

ScrapMonkey Says:

"How would any one of you feel if you were to be arrested for a crime (and being possibly innocent) and instead of being interrogated you were tortured ?"

ScrapMonkey you seem to be confused.  We are not talking about being arrested for Shoplifting here or Mugging someone, we are talking about terrorist.  Terrorist who attack innocent people, Terrorist who are captured on the battlefield.  We are not talking about Uniformed Soldiers in a declared War.  We are talking about People who capture civilians and cut their heads off for the hell of it to make their convoluted and perverse point.  The last time I checked I didn't see any Americans flying planes into Mosques with the intention of killing thousands of people or blowing up embassy's with innocent civilians at work, or driving boats up to Naval Ships and blowing themselves up, or hijacking airliners, or shooting up an airport, or walking into a coffee shop and blowing themselves up.  These are Muslim extremists, i.e. Terrorist.  So your getting arrested and interrogated argument just doesn't hold water.  We are not just willy nilly pulling people off the street for the hell of it and interrogating them in this manner.  And before you go there Timothy McVeigh if he had been caught prior to the Bombing in Oklahoma I would be all for enhanced interrogation on him also.

Terrorists

Innocents

Daniel Pearl

Nairobi Embassy Bombing

Oklahoma City Bombing

More Confusion from ScrapMonkey:

"And why is it ok to torture suspected terrorist but it's not ok for them to torture your loved ones?"

Where have you been Living under a rock.  You don't remember the beheadings, you don't think the few U.S. Soldiers caught in Iraq weren't tortured.  Torture is a way of life in the Muslim world.  Here let me refresh your memory.  This is graphic and not even the most graphic part of the tape. 

Torture in the Middle East

U.S Soldiers Tortured in Iraq then killed

And More from ScrapMonkey

....if we do not want to turn the entire Muslim world against us.....

Until such time as the Muslim world stands up to these home grown terrorists groups and denounces them and actually makes a concerted effort to kill them or bring them to justice and stops harboring them, I don't really care if the Muslim World likes it or not.  95% of The Muslim world in the USA sits by and does nothing and says nothing.  In the Middle East it is even worse.  Until such time as they step forward and actually take a more active roll in this issue, what they think of our handling of the Terrorists matter is of little concern to me personally.

Now in the Muslim Mosques in the USA Muslims are actually encouraged to hate Americans, the infidels.  They are taught this by Church leaders and literature supplied by the Saudi Governement.  In the mean time we will sit by as usual and then it go on until there are more attacks and them we will react.

SAUDI PUBLICATIONS ON HATE IDEOLOGY
INVADE AMERICAN MOSQUES

Thomas Jefferson
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 7:17am
Hmmmm who knew what about EIT and when they knew it.

So much for Pelosi's "I knew nothing".

Thomas Jefferson
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 7:36am
I find it hard to believe that waterboarding has only been used 3 times against 3 Al-Qaeda terrorists and not since 2003 and the Liberals are going to drag this country Thur this mess to satisfy the Dem's lust for revenge and disdain for Conservatives...unbelievable.

Be Careful what you wish for as it appears that some Liberals may end up with more dirt on their hands that originally thought.

Obama is an intelligent leader and he should have put a stop to this long ago, but he is being manipulated by the far left in his party and constituents, Moveon.org, Soros, etc. to let this play out.....SAD. Thumbs%20Down

Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic