FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What a difference...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a difference...
    Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:20pm
What a difference a month makes (and a year)!!!

Council comments, 3/18/08:

Mr. Marconi -- stated the news media is doom and gloom sometimes, talking about the economic meltdown. There is no economic doom in the City. Planning staff is assisting with five home purchases in the City. People are moving into Middletown. During the month of February, twenty-two home owners have been helped in the City.

Council comments, 4/18/08:

Mr. Schiavone -- Looking at the quarterly that he received right before the meeting, we don’t have any extra money. We are already in a deficit . . Mr. Schiavone said we are putting a lot of time into the financials this year to make sure we address on a monthly basis what’s going on. In the CIP Fund, the $1.8 million is a drop in a bucket for a city of this size. We don’t have any extra money. If you cut from one area, it’s a domino effect. Additional revenue is the only thing that will get us out of this dilemma.

Mr. Becker – Said he is very concerned about the budget.

Mayor Mulligan Talked about the good things that are going on in the City. Our financial condition needs to be kept in mind. There is some important work ahead of the Financial Committee. There is no extra money in the budget.

Mr. Marconi – He just enjoys walking his dog.

Mr. Armbruster – He encouraged people to come to Smith Park and walk around the track at least one time.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Go Buckeyes! View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 9:16pm

Mr. Marconi -- stated the news media is doom and gloom sometimes, talking about the economic meltdown. There is no economic doom in the City. Planning staff is assisting with five home purchases in the City. People are moving into Middletown. During the month of February, twenty-two home owners have been helped in the City.

Mr. Marconi -- a close and respected friend of mine tells me that you know the most about the HUD mess in Middletown of any elected official.  They tell me that you encouraged a former employee to file a lawsuit and to inform HUD officials in D.C. about the sorry state of affairs here.

Now, you are handing out compliments to the very people that you wanted removed from our City Hall.  Kind of contradictory isn't it??

Go Bucks!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 6:28am

Yesterdays meeting was even better Mike during Council Comments:

5-19-09 Armbruster: "No Comments"

5-19-09 Marconi: "No Comments"

5-19-09 Schiavone: "No Comments"

5-19-09 Becker: "No Comments"

Since they had no comments they could of at least taken some time to acknowledge and answer the questions of the Citizens who came before them, rather than give them the, "Get the Hell outta here stare."

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 6:39am
Once again Mr. Marconi is ill-informed!! (Or perhaps he has "mis-communicated" to you.)

Most of what I know about "the HUD mess" I either read right on this very board, OR by being copied on the VERY SAME EMAILS to which Mr. Marconi WAS COPIED!!  I have been to absolutely NO clandestine meetings, as Mr. Marconi and other "elected officials" are reported to have been (with numerous participants, including local realtors and HUD officials.)  I CERTAINLY have NOT been involved in any City Hall meetings regarding HUD, CBDG, nor any of the other "alphabet" housing programs being run in our city and regularly attended by "elected officials."  I do believe that this WOULD make Mr. Marconi, and probably others, better informed on "the HUD MESS" than I am.   Of course, Mr. Marconi may disagree, and he is entitled to his opinion...even if IT IS WRONG!!

Next, I did NOT "encourage" ANYONE to file a lawsuit.  IF I want a lawsuit filed, I am perfectly capable of filing it myself, and will not hesitate to do so if I feel that the citizens of Middletown will benefit.  I did, however, comment to a "fomer city employee" about the attorney that he had selected WITH ABSOLUTELY NO INPUT FROM ME, and without my prior knowledge!! 

I would be pleased to discuss these issues, or any "public business", with Mr. Marconi, or any other elected, appointed, or employed public official at any time ON AN EQUAL BASIS.  I will NOT engage them as a citizen while they have a "bully pulpit" where they make the rules for the discussion and I cannot respond from equal footing.

Regarding your comment about "compliments" and being "contradictory", you will have to be a little more specific, please.  We must have very different ideas of what "compliments" are, but if you will be so kind as to point out exactly where you think that I was "handing them out", I will do my very best to either explain why they were NOT compliments, or to retract them!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 6:49am

Mr. Presta -

My comments were directed 100% towards Mr. Marconi and not at all towards you.  It's Mr. Marconi who now is doing an olympics gold medal performance in political backflips!

Mr. Presta, you're always a breath of fresh air.  Your commentary is ALWAYS right on the button.  Keep up the good work!  As for Mr. Marconi, you can't have it both ways Tony!

Go Bucks!

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 6:50am
Mike after reading this a few times I think Go Buckeyes is saying that Marconi is the one that is all knowing about the HUD Mess and encouraged the lawsuit.  Not sure, but the first time I read it like you did, that he was talking about you.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 7:00am
I like Mike and I am very disappointed by Tony!

Mike, Pacman is correct.  My comments had nary a thing to do with you.  It was all about "circle the wagons" mentality of the City Council and senior City staff.  My friend the former City employee was "railroaded" as Mr. Richter said.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 7:10am
Go Bucks:

I am so sorry!!  I truly misunderstood!!  No wonder I couldn't figure out the "compliment" thing!!! LOL  Please accept my apology!!! 

I can either delete my response to you...or I can let it stand as a pre-emptive strike in case someone else is thinking of taking a shot at me over this.  You make the call!!
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 8:16am
All is well between us Mr. Presta.

Middletown needs more patriots like you!

Someday, it would be a pleasure to speak with you or to meet you in person!

Keep up the good fight.

You represent the very best interests of all of us who wish for our town to be a great place again!

I agree with Viet Vet ................ clean house in November.

And, don't be surprised if the city leaders spend that $490,000 of energy conservation "stimulus/bogus" money on the bike trail.

Go Bucks!
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 8:24am
Mr. Presta & Pacman -

I was introduced to Vivian Moon recently.  How sad that the City Czars can spend oodles of the HUD dole on other questionable projects and then tell her that the kitty is empty?  Repair the historic cemetery vault!  We have Revolutionary War, Civil War, World War I and World War II heros buried there.  So much of our town's history is being shamefully ignored.  What a disgrace not to honor those of us from Middletown who have bravely served our country.  Viet Vet, can we get local military veterans organized to storm the ramparts in bringing this matter to the city council?

Fix the Vault and use the Kommandant's slush fund to pave the bike path.

Go Bucks!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Go Buckeyes! Go Buckeyes! wrote:

And, don't be surprised if the city leaders spend that $490,000 of energy conservation "stimulus/bogus" money on the bike trail.
YEP!!  They are already discussing it!!  It boggles my mind how that bicycle trail can be considered an "energy conservation" measure by any stretch of the imagination!!!  Well, I guess the same way that it could be considered an appropriate use for CDBG money!!!

They ALWAYS find plenty of money for ANY of their pet projects.  Those NEVER want for a dime!!!  But it is the money for things that we actually NEED that there is never money for, unless we pass a tax increase!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 8:35am

I agree the Bike Trail got a good chuckleLOLout of me last night.  I think a better use for those funds would be fixing or even putting the money toward the replacing of a fire station or two.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 9:21am
My friend the former city employee advised me that the Kommandant spent CDBG dollars on bike path extensions past years.  Maybe our city staff figures that all of us will be riding bicycles instead of driving cars to and from Hamilton and Cincinnati in the near future??  And, as Miss Moon says, they will surely find a way to buy the Sorg Mansion with newfound money.  Better check the Evidence Room a second time for a potential windfall.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 9:22am
The whole cemetary thing is overblown imo.
Fix the vault , though probably not restored perfectly to origunal standards. Clean the place up and maintain it weekly monthly annually.

It is hard to take Council and Admin seriously any more.
Their whole situation has crumbled.
We must starve them financially until the budget $$ is laid out clearly and openly prioritized.
Probably nothing overly changing should happen until we elect the next round of ward reps, which would constitute a new Council majority.

jmo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 11:39am
Go Buckeyes- There certainly are enough VFW's, the DAV and other service connected groups around to organize and storm city hall, especially when it comes to honoring the vets around here. Even with a healthy veteran representation packing council chambers, we still must recognize who we are talking to. Realize that the current council members aren't the sharpest knifes in the drawer. We are dealing with self absorbed people who don't know what the correct thing is to do in any given situation. CLEAN HOUSE IN NOVEMBER!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 11:48am
Bike path!!!! What kind of worthless money wasting crap are they talking about now???? If they would drive down by the river along Carmody to the West Middletown bridge, they would find the path empty at any given time. I never have seen that path with more than two people jogging or riding a bike. It's like several other recreational destinations in this town (the pool, the golf course) when measuring the cost against the usage. It just flat out isn't worth the cost to satisfy the recreational habits of less than 10% of the population. How can they justify that and turn around and complain about money being tight??? Here's a clue council- when money's tight, spend it on NECESSITIES- just like any logical common sense budget would require. Mercy!!!!CLEAN HOUSE IN NOVEMBER (and run 'em out of town)
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 1:48pm
woow
I would imagine that more people use Sunset Pool annually than frequent the bike path.
The bike path should probably be put way back in priority
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 4:50am

Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones voted against the amendment, saying she didn’t like government encroaching on what people do on their own property.
    “I thought we were going to discuss this further and to extend some of the time limits,” she said.

PARKING IN YOUR FRONT YARD   
    Anita Scott Jones is the only council member that showed any common sense on this issue.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 5:31am
Mike Presta
YEP!!  They are already discussing it!!  It boggles my mind how that bicycle trail can be considered an "energy conservation" measure by any stretch of the imagination!!!  Well, I guess the same way that it could be considered an appropriate use for CDBG money!!!

CDBG Funds...Keep a sharp eye on these funds

BIKE PATH
    This was all part of the Lake Mistake Money Pit. I believe they have been requesting money for the completion of this bike path for years. Again this is project for the benifit of a few...another PET PROJECT? How many people use this path in a 30 day period? How many people have you seen at the Commons?
How on earth could this be an "energy conservation" project.
I thought this was for Green Upgrades or new windows or heating & cooling systems to reduce the cost of current energy being used by the City....and therefore help REDUCE the City Budget and our taxes.
Ms Gilleland & Council Members, please tell us how the bike path will reduce
our Duke Enery bill and save a few tax dollars. Angry

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 5:50am

Vivian -

You speak the plani simple truth once again!

It remains my hope that others will join you in ACTIVELY seeking a commitment of CDBG or other funds to restore the historic Pioneer Cemetery!  If the bosses at Silly (City) Hall can spend $490,000 on a bike trail, or $1.0 million for an east side VISITOR GATEWAY (?) or God knows what else, how in the world can they tell you there's only $11,000 for the resting place of Middletown's many military heros?

I urge any self-respecting City Council member to take a quick drive through the historic Pioneer Cemetery to see how poorly our ancestors are remembered.  It is disgraceful.  I wonder if similar facilities in PICKERINGTON are equally ignored???

Go Bucks!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 5:54am

Middletown Cemetery
    This cemetery was established May 30, 1827
    The last time I looked “Memorial Day” only comes once a year and this is the only cemetery that belongs to the City. A day set aside to honor those that that have served our country.
So Ms Gilleland & Council Members, please tell me why the City hasn’t had time to get the cemetery ready for Memorial Day this year? Didn't the "Good Fairy" show up this year to do your job? Tell me again how much you reeeeally care about those buried at this cemetery.

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 6:03am

Maybe Cincinnati’s mayor will have better luck in Vegas....than Judy and Larry did last year???

By Ed Richter | Wednesday, May 20, 2009, 07:14 PM

According to media reports, Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory was in Las Vegas this week at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention, one of the largest gathering of retailers and developers in the world.

Mallory was there to talk with developers about The Banks project. Hopefully he’ll have better luck than a group of Middletown city and business officials did a year ago when they met with developers and retailers about coming to the city as well as to the Towne Mall.

Granted the economy experienced the huge downturn later in the 2008, but a year later, no real movement has been happening at Towne Mall.

While there is some traffic there thanks to a few stores that are still left, the mall is still struggling. Hopefully if the economy picks up, the contacts made by the city last May will pay off with new stores and development at the Towne Mall.

Stay tuned.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 6:18am
Siderjohn
"We must starve them financially until the budget $$ is laid out clearly and openly prioritized."

Spider
Over the years these CDBG FUNDS have been used as a WISH LIST not a NEED LIST and were under the total control of Mr. Kohler and special friends. If Mr. Kohler spends half a million dollars on a corner downtown it's for the good of the comminity and if I ask for money to fix the vault...I will be putting poor people on the streets? How can that be since it's the same money and fund? They have been using these CDBG funds for their own pet projects.
SPIDER, THEY WILL NEVER LET US HAVE A VOICE IN HOW ALL THIS CDBG FUNDS ARE SPENT IN THIS CITY....
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 6:33am
It sure sounds like the Queen of Middletown and her bureaucrat subjects have abolished true citizen participation for HUD projects.  It will be interesting to see the cast of characters that will be hand-picked by her and the power brokers to replace the former HUD Consolidated Planning Committee.  After all, city staff and use of HUD money is monitored by the City Manager and City Council and HUD who visits here every umpteen years??????ConfusedConfusedConfused

Go Bucks!
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 9:00am
GO VIVIAN
You and others (Perplexed) have discovered the missing CDBG money. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The millions of dollars in the auto and gas fund plus 1 mill of our property tax that can only be used for street repair, disappear every year. Even the street repairs for this year are paid for with stimulus dollars, not out of the auto and gas fund. Thirty or thirty-five years ago we started paying more for sewers than we did for water. This started out as a ten year $75 million project. Today the sewers have not been separated and the city told the EPA that they did not have the money to separate them. EPA will soon force the city to do the job and the city will put a $50 to $80 monthly charge on everyone's water bill to pay for it. They will blame the EPA for this charge instead of being honest a admitting that at least $7.5 million per year (and after all the increases about $30 million) are missing. How do you think council keeps hiring and giving raises when everyone else is cutting jobs and pay?  
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic