FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8 & Middletown Housing Authority

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Section 8 & Middletown Housing Authority
    Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 8:16pm
In going thru the workbook for tonights City Council meeting I came across the Housing Committee Meeting minutes.

For the past few years now the drop dead number for the number of Section 8 Vouchers allocated to Middletown has been documented at 1662 by the City, by the Middletown Journal, etc.  In todays workbook I notice that in Sept. 2008, in the midst of Councils Section 8 Marathon, the number of Section 8 Vouchers in use was 1698, what happen to 1662?  There are numerous months last year where the Number of Section 8 Vouchers in use is above the 1662 number that Middletown has supposely been issued.  So far for the first 5 months of 2009 the number of Section 8 vouchers in use in Middltown is running above the average for each of the last 3 years.

On another note the Middletown Housing Authority, which is made up of the City Council Members is suppose to be meeting monthly, yet I can find no minutes for their meetings, has anyone seen the meeting minutes for any Housing Authority meeting?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 8:28am

Pacman
I will make a little bet that twelve months from now the number of Section 8 housing will be a lot higher than it is now. The City will need to increase the Section 8 in order to fill all the empty housing that will soon be coming on the market as rentals as they start spending all this CDBG money and all these bank owed properties go to the block. This is the only way that they can solve the problem of all these 1,000 plus empty properties. Keep your eye on all this CDBG money and the Section 8 numbers. If you think it’s bad now…..ya ain’t seen nothing yet.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:48am

I have to agree with Ms.Moon.

I took an extended tour of the area from Shafor St. west to S.Main and south to where Roosevelt runs into University. I was looking for some missing items from my businesses, so I made my tour of the usual side streets and alleys(where few people ever go). I do this regularly, so I have a pretty good idea of how things look. I have NEVER seen this area in worse shape than yesterday. Even with my familiarity with the area, I was stunned to see the # of boarded up properties, dilapidated FOR RENT properties, orange-tagged empty homes and un-marked empty homes. Drive down Central Ave.to Garfield and hang a right turn. Count the vacancies and housing conditions. I looked at a reasonably nice two-story home that was being offered for $12,000!!

This housing issue is a monster, and maybe too big and complex for local officials.
Smokey has laid out many amazing facts and stats as to how this has mushroomed out of control. Mr.Adkins seems to be tackling the issue with his un-realistic stimulus requests, though as Ms.Moon mentioned, I don't see any way this can be remedied and these homes refurbished and occupied without a tremendous increase in Section 8 activity(are you reading this, pacman, my friend? Maybe you should ride with me for a serious backstreet tour).

This activity will further stress the police, fire school,social systems and city admin to sevice this social group that contributes little to the tax base or business economy outside of subsidies from assistance programs.

In other words, our city will be further and more drastically divided between the east end "haves"(fewer all of the time, and mass exodus from our school system and business centers) and the southwest "have nots"(who will multiply rapidly, coming in from everywhere to take advantage of the huge increase in subsidized housing). 

Those buying up these foreclosures, fixing them up slightly and throwing them in to the subsidation process will continue to profit, while hopelessly dragging down our fragile demographics.

I hope Mr.Adkins is up to the task, because we have MAJOR issues ahead, FAR beyond the scope of what we see now.

jmo 
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:50am
Earlier this year City Councilmen Becker, Schiavone, Marconi and Armbruster voiced concerns about the City of Middletown getting so deeply involved in the real estate business!

What ever happened to Doug Adkins promised "Market Based" revision to the original $2.144 million HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) grant application filed late last year?  Well more than the 90 days have passed, so where's the Revised Round One Plan?

With all of that uncertainty, the City Council predictably "swallowed" the $25+ million NSP Round Two application for funds that Mr. Adkins presented last night?  With the fiascos of the FHA Dollar Homes Program, etc., the City of Middletown now embarks on a multi-million dollar undertaking?  What are the qualifications of those driving this high-speed housing express passenger train?

Miss Vivian, I agree with you.  If these grandiose plans are not well thought out and carefully implemented, the current Section 8 debacle will seem minor by comparison!Angry
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:01am
Miss Vivian, Etc. -

Have you heard anything about former high-risk, sub-prime mortgage lenders possibly being involved in these HUD-funded foreclosure prevention programs here?
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:04am
Please keep in mind, I personally think the housing Mess in midd. is going to get much worse as time passes. All the over development of the past decade has left us with countless empty new homes. How does that effect all the older, outdated Houses in Middletown?

It is going to get worse!

Drastic action will no doubt have be employed.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:26am
Spider you know where to find me just come on over lets set up a time I will bring a camera and some extra batteries and lets do it.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 12:37pm
Pacman
    Spiderjohn is being really kind…the entire area that he is referring to looks like a war zone. Over the past several months I have driven up and down all these small side streets and they all look the same…empty houses, trash everywhere, everything overgrown and then you have the high grass and weeds. It’s a TRASHY sad sight to see.
    I have been working on cleaning up the empty house next door to me for the past month and when I called the City to see if they would pick up the truck load of trash where I cleaned the lot they refused. This house can be seen by everyone that drives down
University Blvd….and yet we have NO support from City Hall to help us clean up some of this mess.
    I have been in construction for many years and this problem can be solved with some good old common sense and a good block by block plan that keeps the neighborhood charm in mind.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Smokey Burgess Smokey Burgess wrote:

With all of that uncertainty, the City Council predictably "swallowed" the $25+ million NSP Round Two application for funds that Mr. Adkins presented last night?  With the fiascos of the FHA Dollar Homes Program, etc., the City of Middletown now embarks on a multi-million dollar undertaking?  What are the qualifications of those driving this high-speed housing express passenger train?

Miss Vivian, I agree with you.  If these grandiose plans are not well thought out and carefully implemented, the current Section 8 debacle will seem minor by comparison!Angry
This is exactly what I was thinking as I watched Mr. Atkins's presentation last night!!!  This is quite a large undertaking for a city of Middletown's size.  Something MUST be up!!!  There MUST be more to this than they are sharing with us bagholders who are footing the bill!!!  There were NO questions from coucil--have they been briefed behind CLOSED DOORS???  If not, why aren't they questioning these moves???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:08pm
Think about it!!!

City council gets their knickers in a knot over every little thing that happens on our private property!!!  What kind of driveway are we adding??  What are we using to re-side our home??  What color are we painting our small business??

Yet Mr. Atkins presents a few sketchy details about some TWENTY MILLION DOLLAR project, and NO ONE on council asks ANY questions???  Still, they tell us they believe in OPENESS, and that they do NOT discuss city business except in public meeting!!! 

ANYONE who believes THAT, please see me for a great deal on some prime swamp land!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:25pm
Because all City Council sees is 10% for Administration of the program and that adds up to $2,000,000.00 if they get the full amount.  I guarantee you the city will squeeze every dollar out they can for salaries of current employees.  "What you filed a HUD paper today, that's $10.00 for the city.  You shredded 5 pages of HUD docs oh that's good for $25.00 and so it goes.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:26pm
Hmmmmmmmmm so no one has seen any Middletown Housing Authority Minutes, are they even meeting or was that a bunch of BS to make us think they are working harder?  Also is Section 8 growing rather than shrinking?  Anyone................
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:46pm
Can anyone shed light where and how the funds appeared for the Senior Citizens Group/ Center and what on earth are they doing?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 6:41am

Mike
Do you remember the comment “This is a fifty year plan for
Middletown
”?
It made my blood run cold. This big chunk of federal money WILL forever change
Middletown. Mr. Adkins said “No strings attached to this money”…Really?...I don’t believe this line for a moment.

With few comments from any council members and no fanfare the vote was taken and Mr. Adkins has now become the CZAR of Section 8 & HUD.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 7:30am
"Forever change Middletown..." he said!!!  "Fifty year plan" he said!!!

But he announces it with little to NO details, and NO ONE on city council bothers to ask any questions???

This is the very same council that hems and haws for YEARS about Section 8.
The very same council that discusses for weeks parking and driveways or a new gin mill.
The same council that went on for months about leash laws and swimming pools.

But propose a TWENTY MILLION DOLLAR, FIFTY YEAR PLAN that will CHANGE MIDDLETOWN FOREVER...
...and these same people don't even raise an eyebrow????

Anyone who believes that this has NOT been "pre-discussed", please call with your credit card number handy...I have a sure-fire "get-rich-quick scheme" that we should talk about! LOL LOL LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 3:08pm
Now, now Mike, you know the City is working on a wonderful plan as we speak however they just can't be rushed. And you should remember that they are the smart people that know what is best for the rest of the community. Just think of all the poor people that can be helped with all this money...(this is the biggest joke of all) They are working overtime at City Hall trying to see how many more employees they can move over to the CDBG-HUD side of the books.
Yep Mike these are the same council members that told us several months ago they were REALLY concerned about the number of Section 8 housing in Middletown...hmmmm it seems they aren't concerned about that number anymore...the new number is now $20 Million. 
I'm sure all those smart people at City Hall are working on one of those large low income housing communities that will bring some really big bucks to Middletown (if you own the land) and we should be hearing about this great plan within the next 6 months. (this little project will double the current number of low income families in our City and schools)
However Mike I'm sure NONE of this was discussed behind closed doors before the council meeting. Wink
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 4:00am

HUD Conflict-of-Interest Requirements: Regulations (Excerpts) -- The City Council is the "Official Applicant" for the City of Middletown!!

- -

- -

When implementing Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program grants, Participating Jurisdictions-PJ's (including the City of Middletown) must adhere to the following Conflict-of-Interest regulations:

• 24 CFR Part 92.356: HOME Conflict-of-Interest Provisions
    These are the Conflict-of-Interest regulations that govern financial Conflict-of-Interest provisions for HOME PJs. The HOME regulations state that no person:
    • Who exercises or has exercised any functions or responsibilities with HOME activities or
    • Who is in a position to participate in decisions or gain inside information may obtain financial interest or benefit from a HOME activity or have an interest in any contract, subcontract, or agreement for themselves or
    • For person with business or family ties.
  • 24 CFR Part 85.36: Procurement
    In the procurement of property and services by PJs, the Conflict-of-Interest provisions of 24 CFR Part 85.36 apply. These regulations require PJs and subrecipients to maintain written standards governing the performance of their employees engaged in awarding and administering contracts. For more general information about procurement requirements, see the Contracting and Procurement subject area within this training module's Employment and Contracting topic.

• 24 CFR Part 84.42: Codes of Conduct
    Part 84.42 mandates that recipients of Federal funds maintain written standards of conduct that govern employee actions as they relate to awarding and administering contracts. Essentially, these standards should state that no employee shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract if there is any real or apparent Conflict-of-Interest involved.
Specific Conflict-of-Interest requirements and guidance for the HOME Program include:
  • 24 CFR Part 92.356(f)
    This section of the rule addresses the HOME Conflict-of-Interest provisions that apply to State recipients, subrecipients, CHDOs, and other owners/developers that receive HOME funds for the development of HOME units. While 24 CFR 92.356 covers financial Conflict-of-Interest provisions that apply specifically to PJs, this cite discusses situations in which there is an appearance or actual instance of conflict or preferential treatment for other recipients of HOME funds.

• HOMEfires Volume 2, Number 2
    HOMEfires is the official HOME policy newsletter published by HUD. This issue of the newsletter addresses the HOME Conflict-of-Interest provisions that apply to people serving on CHDO boards and the boards of other nonprofit organizations that receive HOME funds. While 24 CFR 92.356 covers financial Conflict-of-Interest provisions, this volume of HOMEfires discusses situations in which there is an appearance of conflict or preferential treatment for CHDOs on whose boards PJ staff may serve.
%20

Content current as of 25 October 2004     
----------
FOIA Privacy Web Policies and Important Links  Home %5blogo:%20Fair%20Housing%20and%20Equal%20Opportunity%5d
%5bLogo:%20HUD%20seal%5d U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
Find the address of a HUD office near you
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 5:55am
As the Council is also the Middletown Housing Authority who can make Administrative decisions and recommendations to themselves and then vote on them, maybe they did meet as the Housing Authority and discuss some of these issues.  Since we can find no minutes of any of these meetings so far who knows what has gone on with the Housing Authority.   Or is the Housing Authority soley in operation to deal with Section 8 Housing?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:00am
Simply put, no member of the Local Governing Authority (City Council) may benefit directly or indirectly from any HUD funded activity during their respective terms of office or for 12 months immediately following their vacation of said position.  Keep this in mind.

NRS
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:04am
Who knows????
Of course, Council is IN VIOLATION of law by even BEING ON the Middletown Housing Authority!!!  (ORC 705.12:  Members of the legislative authority of a municipal corporation shall be electors of the municipal corporation. They shall not hold any other public office...)

Of course, Middletown's City Council has never let a little thing like THE LAW stop them from doing what them want for the eleven years that I have been back here!!

Being a member of a "Municipal Housing Authority" is indisputably a “public office”!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:20am
MIDDLETOWN JOURNAL:  SOME READER RESPONSES TO $25+ MILLION HUD STIMULUS, SCHMIMULUS MANNA FROM HEAVEN

19+ million dollars of our tax money (and others throughout the nation) to add to the federal deficit, increase the probability of a lingering economic malaise with more job losses, high inflation, and perhaps even a total economic collapse. And they're worried about a facelift for neighborhoods. With unemployment high, how long do you think it will be before they need more $ for another facelift, just like a 2nd Stimulus package. We need to vote short-sighted politicos out of office ASAP.
Gregg Nicholl
6:07 AM, 7/10/2009

While I understand Middletown and Hamilton desiring a facelift, are they one bit concerned that it is at the expense of their children and grandchildren? "No permanent jobs will be created through this program." Could be said about the whole "stimulus." OPM - other peoples' money.
Roger Titkemeyer
5:50 AM, 7/10/2009

I wish our CITY could find some money to fix all these roads...the bolts on my cars have to be tightened at LEAST once a month from driving on those disgrace they call roads ....
dj
7:59 PM, 7/9/2009

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:00am
Time for a visit to the next Council meeting to seek details/explanation of Mr.Adkins' stimulus fund request. 25 million for exactly what, as many are beginning to ask?
Any program of this magnitude must surely be laid out in detail, so let's show it all to the public.

Also--Section 8.
It would seem that any property manipulation through demolition, "land banking", re-construction et al would dramatically increase the Section 8/assistance demographics two-fold to tripling at a time where Council/Admin has pledged to downsize these programs.

A companion to Mr.Adkins' explanation should be comments from police, emergency and schools as to how they are prepared to deal with this project in a time of down-sizing, loss of tax base(long-term possibly by Mr.Adkins' "agenda").

As Ricky might say, "Doog, yu gotta lot of "splainin' to do!".
And let's hear Council's take on this also.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:26am
"We are not setup at this time to answer questions."  Thank you for your comment.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:33am
LOLLOLLOLYep Pacman..that would be the 20 Million Dollar answer from the CityLOLLOLLOL
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:39am
Good Morning Pacman, Viet Vet, Miss Vivian, Mike Presta, Etc. -

Earlier this week I submitted a posting about an elderly Ward 2 homeowner who received one of the 2,300 housing code violation "love letters" from the Community Revitalization Department.  As you may recall, this fixed-income African-American resident was cited for the crime of peeling front porch paint.

In retrospect, it's good that I mentioned he was an active member of the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee and still a personal friend.  Could it be that some of the folks at One Donham Plaza caught wind of this as rumors of potential litigation continue to swirl?

Well, I have good news to report.  My friend from Ward 2 was contacted by a Diversity Specialist and told that his little problem would be taken care of at no cost.  In fact, he might even get his entire house painted to boot!

I should point out that civic-minded people like John Soppanish and other members of the 2nd Ward Community Council have talked about taking care of this problem for my friend without dipping into the large HUD kitty of funds.  They are to be commended for this expression of neighborly self-help.

How does all of this strike you?  If you know of anyone with similar problems please tell them to call City Hall and say that they are friends of mine.  Maybe more freebies will be on the way for them too?

Nelson Self
Community Development Administrator
January 2007 - January 2009

P.S.  I wonder if a local newspaper will look into this??ConfusedConfused 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic