FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School Board Goes Too !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School Board Goes Too !!
    Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 10:22pm
$30,000 to search for a superintendent by an out of state agency ?!!! What is wrong with the people in this city ? I guess the school board will just add a levy request to the ballot to cover this expense. No big deal. The citizens of Middeltown are an unending supply of tax money. The economy is good and we can all afford it, not a problem.
When council goes in November I say the school board members go right along with them !!!!!!!!!!!!
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 6:25am
I agree with you Hermes. The only member that seems to have gotten with the program is John Sauter and that has only been recently with the discipline issues connected with the schools. Katie McNeil has been a career member and has accomplished very little, refusing to tackle the serious issues IMO; Tyus, who always seems to find a seat on the board by appointment and not election, seems to be a non-contributor, as does Fiora. Andrew has, in the past, written scolding articles to the community that allows the citizens to know where she is coming from on the issues and demonstrates her elitist attitude. She is a liability, not an asset to this board. I see keeping Sauter, but cleaning out the rest. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 6:53am
Fiora may surprise some of you.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 8:57am
Pacman,
      Yes, I believe Mr. Fiora, Mr. Sauter and Ms. Andrews surprised us all last night. They stuck to their guns and insisted on a proactive search for a new Superintendent, rather than, a passive search by the Ohio School Board Associaiton.  They were determined to find someone who would successfully raise grade scores and bring a new image to our school system. Even though the discussion got quite personal they held their decorum and showed their first priority was the future of our students. I believe  history will show our school system changed dramatically for the better in this meeting and this was their finest hour.
        Mr. Tyus, who disagreed with them, showed incredible leadership by insisting on respect for each other instead of personal attacks even though there was strong disagreement. It was his finest hour also. I learned a lot from him about leadership and decency in those moments. I salute their efforts in behalf of our students, school system and community.
         Paul Nagy
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Paul Nagy Paul Nagy wrote:

Pacman,
      Yes, I believe Mr. Fiora, Mr. Sauter and Ms. Andrews surprised us all last night. They stuck to their guns and insisted on a proactive search for a new Superintendent, rather than, a passive search by the Ohio School Board Associaiton.  They were determined to find someone who would successfully raise grade scores and bring a new image to our school system. Even though the discussion got quite personal they held their decorum and showed their first priority was the future of our students. I believe  history will show our school system changed dramatically for the better in this meeting and this was their finest hour.
        Mr. Tyus, who disagreed with them, showed incredible leadership by insisting on respect for each other instead of personal attacks even though there was strong disagreement. It was his finest hour also. I learned a lot from him about leadership and decency in those moments. I salute their efforts in behalf of our students, school system and community.
         Paul Nagy
Applauded ? For what ?? Spending $30,000 of tax payer money ?? What if they don't find a replacement the first time ? Do they spend another $30,000 to continue ? If you people "applaud" this type of spending then YOU should pay for it !! I for one am sick of the tax and spend of this city. There are other ways to search for a superintendent without playing the money game. Absolutely ridiculous !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 9:18am
What other way is there Hermes run an ad in the Middletown Journal Help Wanted Section?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 11:57am
Pac- Fiora better be a "surprizen'" soon as he ain't done too much since he's been a sittin' in that school board seat, has he? Can't think of anything he's offered of any significance as to direction or change. Could be wrong. Anybody?

As for the method used for the super search. What method is used by the successful districts on a new super selection? How do some districts manage to make a great selection on a competent, get things done,upgrade the schools type of super when others (Middletown) seem to choose losers each and every time? Do the school board's do all the legwork on the selection, do they do it by hiring a company to recruit the selections or do they do the "stick it in the help wanted ads" and hope for a bite?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 11:59am
What you see on TV is not always what it seems.  Sometimes it is behind the scenes that the job is getting done.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 12:31pm
What no outrage about this:

Board approves raise for administrators

The school board approved a 2 percent raise in the base pay of administrators for the upcoming contract year, which begins July 1.

Administrator salaries had been frozen for at least a year and possibly two years, Tyus said.

He said discussion of the raise began earlier, but the board wanted to wait to hire a new treasurer to look at the numbers before making a decision.

accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 12:41pm
Tactic: Cut them off at the knees. Rescind tax levey and mill below what it is today. Board wasted $200 Kk on the ill advised land grab, and Andrews called it; "gotta spend money to make money." $30,000. wasted to have a firm find a replacement? Advice to school board: get an assistant super that wants to gain a name and reputation, stay 5 years, turn things around, instead of another "visionary" making excuses on a daily basis. 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

What other way is there Hermes run an ad in the Middletown Journal Help Wanted Section?
Well Pacman how do you think this company is going to search ? They will post ad's in newspapers,trade magazines,radio spots,etc,etc. They are not going to just say "Ally-oop" and a superintendent pops up. I'll bet if you watch the Journal there will be an ad in there.

What steps did the board take prior to hiring this company ? Is there no one inside the school system qualified to be a super ? Did the board even look ? Yes they placed Brown in the position temporarily,is he the only qualified person ? And what kind of deal did the board sign with this company ? We know it's $30,000 now,but what about later ? Is this a one time fee and they search until a super is found ?

You should know better Pacman,why do you trust the school board to make these decisions without public opinion ? You don't trust city council to do that and they are all in the same.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by accuro accuro wrote:

Tactic: Cut them off at the knees. Rescind tax levey and mill below what it is today. Board wasted $200 Kk on the ill advised land grab, and Andrews called it; "gotta spend money to make money." $30,000. wasted to have a firm find a replacement? Advice to school board: get an assistant super that wants to gain a name and reputation, stay 5 years, turn things around, instead of another "visionary" making excuses on a daily basis. 
Thank you accuro !!!!! Excellent statement !!! Clap
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 1:37pm
I had the same feelings about Mr.Fiora after watching parts of meetings and following the press releases. However another friend of mine(very close to the situation) had the same comment as pacman, that Mr.Fiora was doing most of his activity quietly. Knowing Mr.Fiora somewhat, I would agree, as that approach being consistent with his personality.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 1:55pm
Hermes I think the $30k will be well spent if a qualified turn around candidate is hired.  Now personally I would not have hired a Temp Super.  I would have given the Job to the next person below Price for the 3-5 months or so it may take to hire a new Super.  This alone would have re-cooped the $30k.

The New Super is going to have his hands full with multi Levy's expiring in 2010 and it looks like another Bond issue is in the making for the High School and Junior High.  Personally I think it is important to get the best candidate and to look than further Dayton and Cinci for that person.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 6:54pm

Interim superintendent pay released

By Meagan Engle | Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 03:26 PM

Middletown City Schools will pay incoming Interim Superintendent Norris Brown $4,700 biweekly while he is with the district.

Brown has an open-ended contract, with the understanding he’ll be on board until a permanent superintendent is selected.

Brown’s pay includes Medicare, retirement and worker’s compensation.

Rocky2023 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky2023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 9:03pm

I just finished watching the school board meeting regarding the $30K decision to hire an outside firm.  

Way to go Katie, unfortunately, you are up against the majority (click).  Just watch the body language; it is clear these individuals had a strategy.  I am polite in my statement, John’s physical response when Katie challenged him: head went down, no eye contact, pen was in hand and he maintained this demeanor for the remainder of the meeting.  I guess the best was to articulate the situation was “caught red handed”.  I found it pathetic in his attempt to offer a compliment to Katie after they executed such tactics.

I found it quite interesting to observe the unified response and how the three systemically delivered an alternating response to drive the final decision.  Again, I became confused from time to time as I watched tonight thinking this was a city council meeting.      

I am so very disappointed with the board President, it is apparent his role in the community is a significant hindrance to effectively execute this school board responsibility.  "Lame Duck Syndrome" in his leadership of this group.

I agree, come the school board election, boot them out, except for Katie.  They will ultimately break her down just like the city council did to Laura Williams.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 10:38pm
$9400 a month ?!! Even with my motherinlaw being a teacher I have to argue that. Again,wasted tax payer money !! What is Brown going to do in the next month or so to garner that kind of a check ? Now I can see paying half of that,but not 9400 a month. Time for a change on the school board.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 10:43pm
Viet, They use the same system that Newwark must be using, thinking Price is quite a catch.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 11:25pm
$4,700 bi-weekly = $122,200 annually !
About the  same as Price?
I know who won't get my votes!
Hmmm....What a bargain! Confused
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2009 at 11:33pm
School Board Meeting that originally discussed Search Firms:  http://blip.tv/file/2330354
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 6:52am
tomahawk35- As I said before, if Price is the man for Newark, it won't take long for the people to react to his methods. Dr. Stevie will think he's back in Middletown as Newark folks are the spittin' image of this town. He won't have anymore success there than he did here.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 6:59am
NorrisBrown already retired from one school district didn't he? So this guy is double dipping on the retirement scene now? Isn't this pay a little high for an INTERIM (as in fill-in, as in temporary, as in part timer)??? Think, as time goes by, that they'll give us one of those "he's done such a great job in the limited time he's been here, we'll just make him our new super" routine??? After all, old Norris was "in the Middie family" at one time and you all know how we feel about bringing back the retreads.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 7:11am
Rocky Katie was ticked off because she did not get her way and felt that OSBA was the better and cheaper way to go.

If you watch previous Board meetings you will see that John almost always has a pen in his hand and is constantly taking notes, shuffling papers, etc.

So what if Katie was offended because comeone went to the Chamber and voiced their opinion on a search firm and Bill came and expressed the Chambers thoughts, that is his job.

The bigger outrage to me is that they hired an interim Super at about $9500.00 a month when they could have gotten by with someone that is already working for the school system and if it takes 3-4 months to hire a new Super the Costs would have been 0, as it stands now a new Super is going to cost probably $60k+ between a search firm and a Temp.  Actually more because come August 1, 2009 Price still gets his salary for upto one year while looking for a new job. 

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 7:36am
I'm more upset that the Board hired ANOTHER psychologist, and voted RAISES across-the-board for ADMINISTRATORS, but "regretfully HAD" to lay off seven librarians!!!

I guess they HAD to do it for the KIDS???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Rocky2023 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky2023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 9:02am

Yep, $ 9500 per month is quite pricy.  Obvious, these board members are missing a critical cost-management skill.   You know – cost vs benefit analysis.  It would take all of 3 minutes to capture this in a business model and show this was not a good approach.  Oh, that’s right, we have business entrepreneurs on the committee who know all this, they let us know that last night.  Just how many of these individuals really perform at an executive level in a business.  I think we already know the answer.  

Just how effective, proactive, aggressive and self challenging will a retired double dipping pinch hitter perform in the position.  Sounds like a 9am-2pm position with golf scheduled after 3pm. 

I agree, not sure what these board members are thinking.  

Correct about Katie, she is a dominating individual.  She was more effective and there was a better board member balance with the Board Members we had 3 yrs ago.  Just look what that group executed, all new schools, and many other improvements.  The momentum is gone!  There is certainly an unfavorable dynamic with this group.  Doesn't appear they will be effective to deliver the results we need to realize. 

We require a board that approaches the situation as if we were in a crisis, not passive with petty disagreements.  You heard one member last night very clearly articulate she has a threshold for her time and commitment to the process.  I understand, although, maybe she is not the right person for this responsibility at this critical time to represent our schools.  

Again, as I said earlier, there exist a common theme between the City Council and Middletown School Board.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic