FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Highlands Historic District

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlands Historic District
    Posted: Sep 06 2009 at 5:46am

Mr. Wood has written a wonderful article on the new Highlands Historical Districit. I just can't believe that the City Council is going to approve this large an area as a historic district since clearly one-third of these homeowners do not want to be in this new HHD...but were told the majority rules.

Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2009 at 1:35pm
Thank you Vivian. I would like it understood that I am not against the declaration of a reasonable amout of houses that merit true historic designation. I was just trying to point out there could not possibly be 66 true historic houses within the proposed Highland's District. I don't blame anyone for wanting to have their voice heard about what will radically change a neighborhood, I just feel that declaring historical status for the first time in the history of the neighborhod is not about historical preservation, it's only about property value preservation. Finally anyone who writes a MJ column has no control over the title they choose. I wish my column had not had a title that seemed to imply that there should be no consideration for any kind for the neighborhood historical status. Obviously there should be, if it turely merits it.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2009 at 4:16pm
Mr. Wood, I'm not against the HHD either...however...I have never seen the 50 year rule used in a residential historic district of this age span 1898-2002.
Mr. Kohler also stated that only 40 of the 66 homes had paid their yearly dues to this new HHD. I'm not sure that these 26 residents really want to be included in this historic district.  
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2009 at 4:19pm
Yes I agree with Vivian,excellent article Merrell !

I'm also in agreement that if I read you correctly is the fact that it is more about property values than a historical recognition. If there are only two homes that meet the historical standards then why not declare only those two as historical if it has nothing to do with property values ?

Again I feel that the good ole boys club are promoting one of their own perhaps ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2009 at 11:19pm
Doesn't the gentleman that started the petition about the wards live in this area? if he does then it could make one wonder if there was some type of deal cut.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic