FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An open reply to Ms. Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 12:20pm
Mike what good were the references on Martin's Resume?  He made the final 3 even with all of his baggage.   The BOE leadership states,

"Both Andrew and board member Greg Tyus said the board had been made aware of some of Martin’s issues, but wasn’t able to sift through the rumors and fact; therefore, they decided to select Martin based on his qualification and speak to him directly as part of the interview process."

So they put him on the finalist list anyways.  WHY?  Even if it was all rumors, which I doubt, this district does not need anymore baggage to deal with from a Leadership position. The search firm couldn't clarify the rumors?  So now we are going to possibly give them a second chance.  Which will what drag this out until late Spring early summer at the rate the BOE moves. WHY?  Very poor judgment by all involved in this matter.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 11:31am
Good eye, Pacman!!  but it does beg the question of why a Boston firm with Boston telephone and fax numbers assigned this search to a Senior Search Consultant who apparently operates out of Toronto.

Also interesting is the fact that only Mr. Martin, out of the three finalists, bothered to comply with the last sentence of the Position Description:

"Qualified candidates interested in this opportunity are invited to submit a résumé, and the names

of five references in electronic [WORD or PDF] format to:"

Would this consultant and our esteemed BoE choose someone for this impportant position without checking references?  I am sure that Ms. Andrew will clear this up when she responds to my post.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 9:55am
Mike that Fax Number belongs to, check the bottom of this document:

BARRY ROWLAND

Senior Search Consultant

Carney, Sandoe & Associates

E-mail: barry.rowland@carneysandoe.com

Tel: 416-656-6415; Fax: 416-651-8531

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Mr. Presta, you are reading too much in to the date on a letter. Greg Rasmussen was one of the 30 candidates the School Board reviewed and discussed with the search consultant, and he was one of the 8 we selected for initial interviews. He flew to Middletown for an interview December 11 or 12th. The Board then selected him as one of the three finalists to bring back for a more in-depth round of interviews, including the community forum last night.
Marcia Andrew

Ms. Andrew:

First, let me thank you for addressing our concerns.  However, although you state that I am “reading too much in to the date on a letter”, you add nothing to assuage those concerns.

Certainly you can understand how the Board of Education (BoE) contributed to the public’s skepticism by choosing to conduct the search for a new superintendent under a cloak of secrecy. The BoE continually asked us to believe that you had no knowledge of the identities of these candidates.

Perhaps I “read too much” into Rev, Tyus’s words in his letter-to-the editor dated 12/16/2009 wherein he wrote:

“CSA made over 80-plus contacts, of which they then screened over 60-plus applicants, and then presented 30 resumes to the board. Like any employer, the district wanted to have the largest possible pool of candidates from which to choose.”

Somehow, I “read into” that exactly what it says--that the MCSD BoE had, in their possession “30 resumes…of candidates from which to choose.” prior to your interviews with the “short list” of eight candidates on December 11th and 12th!

Need I remind you that not only Rev. Tyus, but also you and the other three BoE members signed that letter-to-the-editor?

In summary, Rev. Tyus’s letter (signed by the entire BoE) clearly states that the BoE had the resumes of the top THIRTY candidates in their possession not only PRIOR to December 11, but with enough lead time to narrow the THIRTY down to EIGHT with enough additional lead time for those eight to arrange trips to Middletown for interviews over the weekend of December 11. According to The Middletown Journal: “Board members Monday night, Dec. 7 said they have not received from their consultant the names of the candidates they will interview this weekend.”

Am I “reading too much” into this to wonder aloud, if the list had NOT been narrowed down yet from 30 to 8 by the night of December 7, and there were NO MEETINGS of the BoE between the December 7 meeting and the December 11th and 12th interviews, how in the world did the list get narrowed down from THIRTY to EIGHT???

And with all of these apparent conflicts, improbabilities and impossibilities in mind, what would you expect a reasonable person to “read into” the facts that:

1. You had in your possession the resumes of the top 30 (of over 80) applicants (apparently including those of Mr. Rasmussen, Mr. Sommers, and Mr. Martin) on December 7, but you did not know their identities.

2. The BoE somehow narrowed this group of 30 down to a shorter list of eight top candidates (apparently including Mr. Rasmussen, Mr. Sommers, and Mr. Martin) WITHOUT a BoE meeting in time for arrangements to be made for travel and scheduling to interview these top eight over the weekend of December 11 and 12.

3. On December 16, in a letter-to-the-Editor signed by the entire school board, Rev, Tyus announces the new, shorter short list consisting of: Mr. Rasmussen, Mr. Sommers, and Mr. Martin.

4. On January 6, 2010, the letters-of-interest and resumes of the three finalists are made public. Two of the three (those of Mr. Sommers, who later withdrew, and Mr. Rasmussen) are dated December 15, 2009, well AFTER the BoE were reported to have had same in-hand and just one day before the shorter short-list was revealed. The third letter-of-interest, that of Mr. Martin, had a header indicating that it had been faxed on December 19, 2009, from an unlisted telephone number in Toronto, Ontario, Canada..

5. On January 9th, 2010, someone purporting to be Marcia Andrew posts on MiddletownUSA advising that I am “reading too much in to the date on a letter.”

You see, those five items are already a part of the "record"!  Please tell me, Ms. Andrews, what possible explanation is reasonable and plausible; is consistent the above facts; and does not involve miracles nor Santa’s magic sleigh!

Please lay out for me some scenario that would not require a child-like disbelief of reality to accept.

Please, Ms. Andrews, I want to trust Middletown’s public officials, but in order for that to occur, somehow the facts and what the public officials expect us to believe must somehow be reasonable.

The “record” is the “record”! Please go over the record of what has occurred and provide some logical, plausible explanation that makes everything fit together in a way that a reasonable person would conclude that everything on “the record” is true and above board, and all that follows is logical.

I really do want to hear it. I will try hard to believe! I will try very hard, but you have to give me something to work with!

Regards,

Mike Presta

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic