FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City and Problematic properties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City and Problematic properties
    Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 3:35pm
"Commercial Property Maintenance

Staff is continuing our work of ensuring that commercial properties are maintained. Some issues are easily resolved while others take a great deal of time. A few problematic properties on our list include: Rose Furniture on Main, several businesses on Central Ave. and Weekend Outlet Mall on Breiel."

I had to chuckle as I read this.  Why should "other take a great deal of time."  You are going after the elderly, people who can't fix their properties and have even stated that you will take those to court that don't tow the line.  What is different about Commercial properties, other than they are not elderly, on fixed incomes, out of a job, etc. and oh yeah have the means to fight back in many cases.  The commercial properties that is dis-repair and look like they came out of the early depression are what is a major draw back to the city. 

The best they can do for problematic properties is Rose Furniture, several businesses on Central and the Weekend Outlet mall on Breiel......give me a break.

Maybe it is time that we assist the city in this endeavor and help them with some photographic assistance posted on this web site as to the many commercial eyesores in Middletown.  Anyone want to take a ride around and assist our fine CD Chief in this task.  I am sure we will come across many city properties as well as business properties that have maintenance issues along the way.

Anyone............

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 3:42pm
I am willing to drive (my car is a smoking car), but I am not a good photographer, nor do I have a camera.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 5:21pm
Sounds like a deal.  I have a digital camera that will surfice.  Anyone got any particular eyesrores they can nominate to be photographed to assist the city in this problematic issue.  PM me Mike.
NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 5:32pm
Be certain not to overlook the City's recent $1.00 acquisition of the former Strand Theatre on Central Avenue!!

What are Doug's plans to fund the demolition/asbestos abatement of this distressed historic landmark now that his $19,000,000 consultant-assisted Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round Two application was rejected by HUD recently?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2010 at 9:41pm
The city is needing to tear down many buildings which are dangerous and unsightly. That doesn't mean I agree with the funding nor understand how it is used, although apparently Mr. Self has the figures which refelect about 1/2 of one portion went to salaries and benefits. I still don't have an answer as to who pays that money back---Middletown, state, or its just a big gift from the next generation or two?

Middletown's problems are so deep and wide, it will be impossible to dig itself out of the whole. The first step is the cleanup, the demolishment of decay downtown and elsewhere. I truly believe the city made such a fuss over the building at the cemetary because while they have the wrecking ball, just destroy it all.

Secondly, the city thinks its going to brownfield as much as they can of downtown. They then hope they can attract business that wants to build or reclaim the area, but that will never happen.

As usual, the city leader shot themselves in the foot. That campaign when they said it would take >50 plus years to do the streets was such a duration and lengthy period, no one will have serious interest in Middletown for 60-100 years. The damage has been done folks, its simply too late to save. Think of the oxymoron: city builds bike path, but 50 years to repair roads by its own admission. City closes city historic pool, while going bananas in naming a historic area by the hospital, and thinks it will be great for dogs. So, brownfields, a dog playground, and bike paths, compensate for an inability to repair roads until 50 years, or a half century passes!

There was an article two days ago about Youngstown Ohio. About trying to turn the corner. The pictures were bad, but I don't think even Youngstown, one of the most deplete areas in Ohio, is as ruin down as Middletown.

Its over folks, the fat lady has sung in Middletown. Its best days are not going forward, in spite of the cleanup and brownfielding. Step 2 is building on the land. It won't ever happen.     
NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2010 at 1:51am
Acclaro -

At the second City Council meeting last month it was Doug Adkins who presented his proposed FY 2010 CDBG budget.  He noted that $130,000+ was for Program Administration, $17,000 was for Housing Rehab (program delivery -- salaries/fringe benefits), and $221,000 was for Housing Code Enforcement (mostly program delivery -- salaries/fringe benefits).  If you add the above totals, it comes out to more than 50% of the $685,000 that the City will receive this year from HUD via the CDBG Program.

To answer another question, CDBG funds plus the HOME Program as well as the Neighborhood Stabilization Program are Federal grants.  They are not repayable unless the City fails to comply with HUD rules and regulations.

In any event, all of it comes from the pockets of taxpayers.  It is not free money.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2010 at 6:35am
is it that unusual for salaries to make up over 50% of the budget?  I think that is true for most service businesses...but is what Adkins doing a service!?  haha.
NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2010 at 8:06am
Bill -

Twenty-six of my 38 years of work history involve HUD-funded programs.  The amount of capital allocated for personnel costs here exceeds anything that I've ever seen.  And, salary ranges/fringe benefit packages are among the very best in the country.  So, yes, $0.50 of every dollar is spent on staffing.

Of course, this percentage rose greatly when Housing Code Enforcement personnel were transferred five years ago from the public safety area and first paid with HUD funds.  Three years ago two of three Nuisance Abatement (tall weeds/grass and trash containment) personnel were also transferred and now paid with HUD funds.

Interesting??

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2010 at 10:09am
Mr. Self, I understand your logic and knowledge and it is commendable what you have shared. I use a saying often, sometimes people can't see the forest for the trees (caught in the details, not the big picture), or can't see the trees for the forest (tactical details seen but not the big picture).

What intelligent and organized citizens need to grasp is as follows. Middletown's main employer is 1) AKS, Atirum, MCSD, MUM, and the city of Middletown. Of those five entities, and there are a few smaller ones (Akers Packaging etc), three out of five are union associated or public service entities. Why do you think there is such an allegiance between the city and Dean Cowan, because they are in the protected public sector.

Your point is symbolic of the bigger problem, spiderjohn calls it the feeding the beast, at city hall. So while the HUD issues are real, and problematic, and obviously, monies are taken to just keep people on payroll, that is why city hall is such a problem. There is no down-sizing, no attempt to get efficient, its all those entitled people awaiting retirement and taking $100 Kk worth of vacation and overtime pay with them. Look at Bill Becker. Police Chief behind many controversail issues, taping privileged phone calls of those in jail and attorneys. Man on watch when much of section 8 spike started. Goes from mid $80 pay range thanks to his friends at city council to $102,000. for a increase in retirement. Contributions as city manager, in my opinion, few. Then gets a gig as a Warreny Cty Township interim city manager, sets him up nicely for next gig, emergency response.

This is why Middletown is doomed, and its too late to alter its course. The beast at city hall is too large. What you keep exposing is a few trees (thank you) for the forest of large ineffective local government, filled with cronyism, excuses, and feeble attempts to justify its furture direction. Don't you just love that slogan!     
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2010 at 10:34am
Bill if you are a small business and your payroll is about 54% of your gross revenues you are in serious trouble and failure is coming your way. 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2010 at 3:06pm
Why would the city even consider down-sizing when the scam they are running works so well ? As long as the DC money tree keeps growing & shedding those free dollars the city will continue to pick the green fruit until the tree is dead and no longer produces. You don't see the good citizens of Middeltown marching on city hall and making demands so the system keeps running.

It's amazing to me that the city can pick and choose who they want to force the issue with on housing code enforcement. I always thought an ordinance applied to everyone but not in this town. The city can knock on my door and suggest/demand that I repair something but yet right across the street an absentee landlord runs what appears to be a half-way house violating every code ever written and the city doesn't say a word.

Go ahead Middeltown....make my day. Angry
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2010 at 10:16am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

associated or public service entities. Why do you think there is such an allegiance between the city and Dean Cowan, because they are in the protected public sector.

Dr. Cowan is no longer Dean, acclaro. Dr. Jeanne Hey has been interim Dean of MUM since last year.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2010 at 10:56am
Marianne, I am well aware of the status of former Dean Cowan, currently on "interim assignment" as the MUM liasson to Middletown and community affairs and such. Isn't that akin to Animal House's "double secret probation"?  Or does that give her a year to decide if she wants to teach microbiology or interview elsewhere? 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 7:29am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

The city is needing to tear down many buildings which are dangerous and unsightly.
I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you would even suggest such a thing!!

Didn't you read the "Downtown Assessment Resource Team" (DART) Report???  Allow me to quote from that report:
"Tearing the old buildings down, just continues a cycle of decay. Rehabilitating –rejuvenates."

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic