FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tax levy story input

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mrossiter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrossiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tax levy story input
    Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 9:35pm
I am in the process writing a series of stories about the upcoming levy. Last Sunday's story gave the district the opportunity to present its case on the importance of the levy. The next two stories center around community thoughts on the district's spending/savings/fiscal responsibility, as well as the major reasons why people will vote for against the levy. I am looking to get community input on both sides.

If anyone is interested in talking to me about either of these issues within the next day or so, please contact me off list at mrossiter@coxohio.com. I am looking for representation of both sides and people having strong opinions with examples that support their opinions.

I look forward to hearing from you and look forward to sharing what I find out in upcoming editions.

Marie Rossiter
Education reporter
Middletown Journal
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 6:27am
Mercy!....have you opened a can of worms on this one Ms. Rossiter. You can get a good idea from the community by reading some of the comments in your Journal on Ms. Andrew's article about the levy. From the jest of the comments there, it looks like it's a 3:1 ratio against the levy for a multitude of reasons. There's 198 posts on the subject as of this morning.

During the last levy, Channel 5 came to the house to ask me about my no vote and why. We talked for 15-20 minutes. They showed one question on the evening news, yet they gave the pro-levy people more time. They called again wanting to talk and I told them no. They asked why..I gave them this scenario. The reporting is not balanced.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 8:42am
Hey Vet we are always complaining about the Journal not doing indepth Journalism, well here we go and now no one against the levy wants to go on record..........hmmmmmmmmmm.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 10:33am
Not true- I'll talk to the lady anytime she wants to talk. My only reluctance comes from the fact that she may do what Channel 5 did if you have an opposing point of view from the "popular viewpoints. In all cases so far, I have been given the short end of the stick as to opinion exposure time (like Channel 5 described above) or was demonized by the old "you only want to hurt the kids" crowd for my views. As soon as I get home, I'll contact her and volunteer. Can't do it from here. Anyone else want to join me? To get a good cross section of the community's views on the levy, all she has to do is read the comments on the current article by Ms. Andrew.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 10:52am
Vet, why waste your time, you have a wife whom needs care, and the Journal will endorse the issue. What needs to be said' opposition- too much overhead, waste, and lack of performance: those in favor: keep payroll up, keep up overhead, and lets keep on the path to conintinuous improvement (and we have a new superintendant after wasting $250,000. on the Franklin issue, then the search firm). We ar taxed to death. A non brainer. Noting more needs to be said. Don't waste your time. I think this one will fall in the ;no' category, having no cap in duration and the overhead just too much to bear in a dying town. You owe the Journal nothing and their audience has shrunk considerably. Ms. Andrews gave up trying to sell it, why should you bother with stating why you oppose it. Let the numbers at the poll do your talking. Vote No.   
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 11:05am
acclaro so what if the Journal endorses the levy, if you read their editorial page they already have.  If the Levy fails as you predict it will be back in August and then November and then February until it passes or the BOE will do as Price did last time and cut as much as they want until the residents capitulate.

The point is you who are against this levy have a chance to voice your opposition which is what we have talked about many times.  So do it.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 11:27am
Returning levy requests to the ballot multiple times in one calendar year should be stopped by adopting legislation to limit multiple levies in an attempt to "drown" the taxpayer into submission. Schools who have levy failures should have to wait until the next calendar year to initiate another levy and make do with the money they have on hand until such time. They may place a levy on the ballot once per year- their choice on timing. No more of this overwhelm the taxpayer/ multiple attempts in rapid fire succession in a given year. JMO
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 11:35am
acclaro- it's alright. Won't take long. Ms. Rossiter already knows the responses she will get on this from the opposition. She just wants to make it official I guess. Might be a simple phone interview. Knowing the Journal and the history they have had in the past, I doubt if they will give the opposing camp a fair amount of coverage anyway. They never do. It appears they are bought and paid for by city hall and the school board anyway. It is a shame that they have adopted that stance.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 12:29pm
I agree with the multiple levy attempts Vet.  Once a year is enough. Running a levy into the ground should be outlawed.

mrossiter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrossiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2010 at 10:16am
I realize I've opened a can of worms--which is part of my job, I'm afraid. I plan on covering both sides of the issue, but have not heard directly from anyone from either side from here. I can't promise to put everything in print. I do have limited space in the paper. However, I am more than happy to put in what I can't get in print on my blog. If you are interested in going on the record, please email me at mrossiter@coxohio.com. My deadline is Thursday and time is running short. I'm at the point where I'm going out on the street and asking for people to talk. Was hoping I'd get some people here whom I know discuss this issue a lot and have strong opinions.

I wish it were as simple as taking comments off our web site, but I need to verify identities, which is difficult since there isn't a lot of personal information available to contact posters on the boards. I'm open to talking with anyone.

Thank you and I hope to hear from some of you very soon!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2010 at 12:43pm
Verify sources? Hmmm.....sounds more like a documentary than attempting to gauge the outcome of an election. Doesn't US, People, and OK! just cite "a reliable source"? As for me, I used to put my Ltrs Into The Editor column until the Journal limited it to about two paragraphs which no meaningful thought could be captured in such limits space. Maybe Mr. McNeil can tell us in your column how many tens of thousands of workers he will be hring at the Atrium?   
mrossiter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrossiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2010 at 12:55pm
I do not use unnamed sources. If I can't verify and specifically name my sources, then I do not use them. That's pretty much our policy, with few exceptions--and certainly not on education stories. It's also my policy as a reporter.

I invite anyone to share their opinion and suggestions. I look forward to hearing from forum members here.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2010 at 10:52am
ms. rossiter- I was occupied with a home project last night and in taking care of my disabled wife. I haven't forgotten your Thursday deadline and am unable to respond via computer from my employment. If you would call (937) 255-3108, I would be able to respond to your questions today if you are still looking for someone on the "no" vote side of things. Thank you.
mrossiter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrossiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 7:41am
VietVet, I called you yesterday afternoon, per your request. Left a message and didn't hear back from you. If you (or anyone else) who opposes the levy would be willing to talk to me this morning, I would appreciate it. I am already over my deadline. I haven't found anyone against the levy who is willing to talk to me at this point and I can't file my story until I hear from both sides of the issue. Please send me an e-mail at mrossiter@coxohio.com with contact information and I will get back to you immediately. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic