FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So Spider.....Just Curious....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 12:30pm
[QUOTE=acclaro]spider, I didn't vote yesterday, and would not have voted for CC. 

Acclaro - if you did not vote yesterday - you have no right to complain.

My daughter also has a 4.0 GPA at Middletownas a freshman, and I see what she does.  There are always going to be good and bad at every school.  But there is no reason to go on like you have making it sound like any kid that goes to Middletown is a failure.  I have nieces and nephews that have received scholarships based on their GPA at Middletown.  I also graduated from  a private school - that does not make someone a better person or guarentee a better score on a test.  

The kids in Middletown need to see the parents get involved in their kids academics.  I know alot of kids that have great support and do well.  However with the amount of Sec 8 in Middletown - you tend to see that their are a lot of students that do not have the same support.  But that does not mean that you have any right to downgrade all the kids that are in that school. 

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 12:43pm
Bobbie, your logic and comment is flawed. I did not vote as I knew the levy would pass. You are also flawed what the levy was about. It is not about getting standards up, but protecting the AP, extra curricular programs for the top 10%. The drop rate has been 20% for years, and the levy will do nothing to improve performance. The focus is on the 1) sports program 2) extra-curricular activities including AP. You made the distinction of section 8- how will that continuation and increase in numbers positively affect the school? It won't. And the irony of your commentary is its exactly the rationale the school district has been using for its failure- the lower demographics you state they don't get the support. So the cycle continues, as the two are intertwined. You also missed my other point---there are bright kids in every school district in the US. We aren't debating the top 10%, which is pretty easy to obtain in MHS, didn't AJ Smith pull a 3.76 and why is he not in college? The debate is the other 90% which are impacting the CI rating. That's what the issue is, but the focus is really on the AP classes, sports, and protecting union wages. That's ALL this levy was about. Nothing more, nothing less.  
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 1:38pm
Acclaro - I really do not know what school you went to - but you can not comprehend what you read.  My point had nothing to do with the levy.  My point was to you, about dismissing everyone because of bad.  That is not the case.  You basically said that if you went to Middletown your 4.0 was really only worth 3, and that is how colleges perceive it.  Bring out your proof of this statement (not your assumptions) then we can battle points here.  You have no right to dismiss these kids that have  work hard. 

As for I did not vote because I knew it would pass.  This really shows ignorance beyond belief.  You can stand up for what you think here on this forum - but you will not take the time to stand up an vote for what you believe.  What is that teaching your kids.  That their voice does not matter. 

I think you are the one that is flawed.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 1:53pm
Gees...I'm always a day late and a dollar short.

Everyone could have voted the way I did, straight democrat (and I'm a registered republican) and thats another argument altogether.

acclaro...I wish you had voted but I understand why you didn't. My moto, "Just Say NO !!" (special thanks to Nancy Reagan) If the echelon want it I say no, if they don't want it I say yes.

Did my vote even count since they didn't ask me to sign a party pledge statement ? Ermm
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 1:57pm
Bobbie, I do not comprehend your point, and I'm not certain you do as well. For voting- I have never missed a vote in my life; I knew 1) the levy would pass- read my posts a month ago saying so 2) I knew who would party primaries. Therefore, there was no value in voting. The next vote to be passed will be the 2.25% tax increase, that will pass, maybe they'll ease it just to 2.0%. As for proof, 96% of Fenwick kids go to colege, 98% of MVS kids go to college. Neither has a dropout rate. Of those who go to college, >80% graduate, and with a 3.0 GPA or better. How many 3.75 GPA MHS grads 1) graduate from college. You miss the point of debate, and I don't have time to argue. As for the schools that know the difference at the admissions ofice level between MHS and a college prep school, try calling Williams College, Middleberry, Swathmore, Davidson, The University of the South, Furman, Lake Forest College, Rice, Dule, Vandy, Princeton, Washington and Lee, Wahsington University (to name a few). Sorry Bobbie, you argue, I debate. Point made- levy was about the top 10% keeping extra curricular activities to be competitive, not about improving the school for all those attending.   
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 2:47pm
hey---acclaro is just another piece of what makes this site the place to be!
He has a lot of good concepts and insight.
Don't always agree with each other, however we don't have to always agree.
We can learn a lot more from our "adversaries" and differing opinions than we can from our similar-thinking friends.

Acclaro ain't going anywhere any time anyway because he won't be able to sell his home either.
He should probably buy a fire sale home on Curryer or Shadow Hill.

Come on--the levy passed.
Appreciate the majority thinking, and make friends with everone who lost as a part of the minority.
Now is the time to win them over instead of driving a stake through them.
Besides--all that happened was a renewal levy was passed.
Discipline has not improved, test scores have not improved, and public opinion is no longer needed by school admin. I spent time with them. If you REALLY think that they are wide open to differing outside views on THEIR system--think again. The gun is now to THEIR heads. Produce quickly or be quickly replaced.
The public has come through--now time for the system to follow through on their end of the situation.

A teacher pay freeze should only be the beginning of long range changes.
Benefit changes should be the trade-off for any future pay rate changes, which should also be determined by drastically improved results.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 3:11pm
sj, keep me advised if you know of a good fire sale on Thorn Hill. Listen, I'm not upset at all on the levy, as we said, this was predicatbble, we know that. I've got nieces and nephews that teach. I was simply advocating the business and rationale point of view, not the emotional "Middle Pride" thing. No harm, no foul. The beast feasts. Next comes the 2.25% increase. All the pieces together; at large council, apathy among the voters, "bundling of votes". It will pass easily. Memo to Ms. Gilleland---Get the 2.25% on the November ballot. It will pass easily. Heck, the library levy passed with flying colors. No surprises on my end. sj, tell John to let me know when a nice fire sale comes up on Thorn Hill. A few on DaVinci or maybe the one next to Laura could be bought for $225,000. BTW, Marty Stewwart wil be great at MUM this week!  
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 3:31pm
I wonder if the pay freeze will actually occur since it sounded like a simple verbal agreement.  Probably followed by a wink wink and promise to make up for it with a 6% raise in year 2.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 4:12pm
lol acclaro--Marty Stuart should be excellent, though not creating much buzz.
Not my thing, but might go.
Am working with the new man taking over the MU-M series next year.
Same person who runs the enormously popular MU-H series.
First two shows so far will be Doc Watson and Arlo Guthrie.
Hoping to liven it up with a few things from this century to follow:
Blues?
DEVO?
Bela Fleck?
Chris Thile?
What would everyone like?

if I ever move, it would probably be to another spot on my same street.
One place on Shadow Hill that I like(nfs), and two on Curryer.
A friend just bought a fire sale home on Da Vinci.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 4:47pm
sj, the house on the corner is pretty nice (Curryer). I know he started around $375 Kk 5 years ago, and is probably around $240KK, but right on WWGC as you know. I like the white one one the left near Pratt's old place. Did the saltbox on DaVinci finally sell (right side? I'm waiting on Dr. Scott's place, with the tennis court built in. Strange layout (narrow, but a nice home. 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 5:59pm
Spider - you missed something when you said "come on-the levy passed" this was 2, and I repeat,2 levies bundled into one. I think a lot of people over looked that point. Had it been one levy renewal it probably would not have been a big deal, but 2 in one ?

And Bill I agree with you, I think the pay freeze was a gimick and I think I stated that once. The tactic there would be to agree with it until fall then pass out a really nice raise and a really nice bonus to the new super.

We only need to look at Lakota and see that things are difficult for everyone. Lakota voted it down because they knew they couldn't afford it, and if they can't afford it neither can we. (yes I know the setup there was different than here)

Like a lot of people in the Lakota district said, "these levies have to stop or at least be brought under control".
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 7:18pm
Hermes--I had dinner at Dewey's and dessert at Graeter's in West Chester last night.
Place was packed and traffic was at a standstill.
If that is "having it tough", then we are having it "REALLY TOUGH" around here.

I understand your thinking and "feel your pain".
I hope that the annual 3% raise pattern is broken.
If I was wrong on this issue, I will say so, and work harder to make it right somehow.
You didn't see or hear about me out partying and celebrating at any victory party.
Just a short break from "starving the beast" and please don't think that my contradiction doesn't bother me.
I came out of it all thinking that the BOE and new super actually will listen more than the Admin.
Pat View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 2:21am
Acclaro, you're too easy to debate...you shoot holes in your own arguement and make my point!

1.APclasses-do u even know what they are?  How much do they cost the district?

2.Twenty yrs. ago u predicted M-town's demise and u want outta here and your rationale for staying is so u're kids could stay in the same place for K-12.  Thought they went to private school.  So why did you stay?
Let's see 20 yrs. ago and your kids are in college or graduated..let's do the math..thought u took statsIII and calclll...but guess u don't know basic math!  And ur thinking of buying another house here. 
save yourself.  WC or Springboro would love another resident.  So what if it takes 10 yrs. to sell the house. Quality of life is more important and u are one unhappy person with a self esteem problem.

3. Fenwick, Miami Valley= higher ACT/SAT scores.  Wlhy?  Going to school with docs, CEO's kids...hmmmm, so socioeconomics does matter.  Glad u saw the light

4.  A self-proclaimed expert on the  schools, politics, the city...hey, u've got all the answers.  M-town needs nothing more than u!

5.  Oh, and by the way, my child got accepted at 3 of the schools on ur great school list and in their honors programs,too, along with their top academic scholarship offers!

6.  Do u have any idea why the private schools have a higher college acceptance and college graduation rate?  And, no it is not what u have stated previously.

7.  Rule #1 if ur gonna debate, know ur subject inside out and clearly by reading ur posts u give urself away!

8.  Sorry bud, M-town is too full of  people like you, the know-it-all types and self-proclaimed experts.  Think about putting the 'ol house up for sale.  5 yrs or 10 yrs to sell and take a little loss on it...sure u don't need the proceeds to buy ur next house in your nirvana WC or Springboro.  U'll be a lot happier!!!

9.  You can't even get the MHS dropout rate correct!

10. Smartman, Bobbie and myself have kids at MHS and know the quality education they receive there, are involved in our kid's education and frequent the school regularly.

And, then there is you...........

Who knows when u've been in MHS,  I'm sure it's beneath you,but somehow magically u know exactly what goes on there and what the problems and solutions are....................

Very interesting, very, very interesting................................................................................................................................................................................
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 5:15am
My question is, My daughter get info from all the schools on acclaro's elite list except 1. acclaro can you tell us where Dule University is?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:30am
I DOUGHT (lol) IT is in Raleigh, its in Durham SM. They require a 30 or above; others need not apply- same with Vandy.
Clown
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 12:19pm
So what is your connection to know that these schools are not excepting Middletown students, or are saying they are less qualified as a 4.0? 
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I doubt that Mr. Allen will be chosen, despite him being a very nice/cool guy(don't y'all love it when I say that?). We don't need him quickly rolling over to support the dark side, which I would expect him to do. Mr.Barge probably won't get it either because of his leanings the other direction. I doubt that Mr.Hoffman is that interest, but why would he apply?
Maybe the other fellow is worth a look--remember it will take 4 votes to get the job, so someone is going to have to jump ship. Actually I prefer the 6-member Council, which requiares a clear 4-2 majority to pass anything. Anyone who watches or attends the sessions of the current goup can detect the obvious-------
these people actually don't like each other. And the Admin and citizens are being held hostage.

"4 seek open 1st Ward seat” the headline in The Journal sez.

No one will actually get a real look.  The so-called "movers-and-shakers" have already decided who they want, since their preferred puppet (the widow of a councilman) delined.

If the truth be known, who actually did “seek” the seat, and who did the local power brokers themselves seek out to “install” into the seat? Who was “sought out” but had the integrity to refuse to take part in this fraud? Will that person (who had the integrity to refuse their pressure to “volunteer”) have enough character to “blow the roof” off this fraud, Mr. SB?

How about it, AJ, Josh and ASJ? They need at least ONE of your votes to pull off this possibly felonious con job. Which one of you will sell out?

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic