FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BROAD STREET BASH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlayne Skeens View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlayne Skeens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BROAD STREET BASH
    Posted: May 20 2010 at 9:44am

If you didn't get down to THE BROAD STREET BASH last night, You missed out ~

You still have time to Enjoy the Community & The Music
Every Other Wednesday Night Downtown through the Summer
Good Food & Good Times

THANK YOU JIM WENDEL, TIM LEWIS & ALL their VOLUNTEERS Smile
I offer Professional, Ethical Service and a Smile,
while Following The Golden Rule ~ Thank You :-)
*For ALL Your Real Estate Needs Call Marlayne with Real Living Realty Services @ 513-465-6747
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 10:24am
Hmmmmmmmmm why don't you try a Bash out in the Towne Mall Parking lot one week and see if it generates more visitors? 
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 10:31am
^^^^^
Because the objective of the Bash is to get people downtown, not out by the mall.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 11:49am
I am well aware of what the objective is.  What this is the 3rd year now and they managed only 500 or so last night, that is 1/100th of the population of Middletown.  Maybe a venue change would bring in more people, and being closer to the, dare I say, dreaded I-75 would help.  Plus you have room to try different shows or acts.  The town needs to get out of this, it has to be done downtown or not at all attitude that revails over every festival or show they do.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 2:07pm
^^^^^^

You are missing the point.  The objective of the Bash is NOT to necessarily draw big crowds at any given location in town.  The objective of the Bash is to bring people downtown.  That’s what the organizers have set out to do.  They are attempting to accomplish this objective by providing a mixture of live musical entertainment and food.

Unless you are an organizer or sponsor who is unhappy with the return on investment, it really isn’t up to you to decide whether or not a crowd of 500 is meeting the objective of bringing people downtown.

As long as organizers can line up financial support and feel like they are making an impact, I see no reason to move to another venue.

If you want a festival or bash on the east end of town, I suggest you:

1.)    Come up with the idea

2.)    Form a committee to discuss logistics

3.)    Find financial backers

4.)    Implement

That’s exactly what Mr. Wendel and Lewis did.  There was at one time a very successful 4th of July event on the east end of town known as All American Weekend.  It kind of feel off the face of the earth. 

As the east end hopefully grows and develops with more business and residents, I foresee a time when there may be events after hours during the week for the employees and residents living in that area.  But I don’t think we are there yet.  There isn’t really a central gathering area or “square” east of 75 at the moment, but again, I do foresee it in the long-term future.  And no, the Towne Mall parking lot isn’t exactly a community gathering spot.  At least in my opinion.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 2:55pm

correct swohio--the BSB is primarily to bring people to that area for a good time and to showcase the area.

Would be nice if there were actual attractive businesses open(or ANY businesses open) and there was actually something to showcase other than the entertainment. The Bash has continued and grown. It will do better as we move into better warmer weather. Unfortunately, the area formerly known as downtown has not prospered, and is probably more vacant then it was a year ago. At least we had an attractive 56 Degrees functioning last year.

As for something similar at the site formerly known as Towne Mall, why not try something to attract people? While the mall interior is only slightly more functional than the Broad St.area, the surrounding businesses would get a bump, and should be co-sponsors.  Remember though--the Towne Mall area is privately owned.

Hey I love music and these get-together events. I have had a great time at every occasion. And YES--I would love to hear more local talent and definitely a more diverse assortment of musical styles. But this is not my event, I sincerely appreciate the hard work of the Bash founders, and am extremely greatful to have the opportunity to enjoy it at NO CHARGE. Honestly--WHAT MORE CAN WE ASK FOR AND EXPECT?

Thanks Mr.Wendel, Mr.Lewis, Ms.Shearer and EVERYONE involved!

jmo
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 3:02pm
Hahahaha SW typical Middletown head in the sand thinking.  Whooopppeee you bring 500 people downtown and to do what.  Shop at a High End Consignment shop, shop at Beauverre or maybe Waldon Studio's is making a killing from this Bash.  You people must get past the East End of town against the Downtown mentality.  This mentality is detrimental to the City overall.  It is not a matter of East End vs. downtown to me.  It is a matter of drawing more than just a few people that want a beer and a dog and watch a guy running around dressed up as a woman on stage.  If all you are going to do is draw the same crowd for a few weeks downtown, I see little benefit.  Excluding Pawn Shops, Second Hand stores, Consignment shops and the like I doubt many of the higher end businesses rely on Middletown Residents for their bread and butter.  But hey lets not pull together as a City.  Lets have the Downtown against the East End and you all wait holding your breathe for the train to come and the East End will pass you buy.   No wonder other Cities dislike working with this city and it has the Reputation that it does in the area. 

Gee SW cities around the country use Mall parking lots for fairs, carnivals, art shows, etc. all of the time, you don't need a square to have a get together.     I think the people in that area are more than ready and don't want to truck downtown every time there is a Bash, Party, Festival, etc. especially when there is little else there.

You people are to close minded for your own good.  It was just a suggestion to maybe include more people, obviously you and the businesses downtown don't need additonal people.  Fine by me.

I love the it isn't up to you.......part.  Wouldn't want to have any new ideas floated.  God forbid.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 4:26pm
The BSB is great to bring people downtown every other week - but are those same people utilizing the downtown at any other time.  It is a successful bash, but not successfull to promote downtown. 

PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 10:27pm
Thank you, Marlayne, for your nice words about the Broad Street Bash! I, for one, am very supportive of any venue that brings together people for a sense of community, light-hearted entertainment, and positiveenjoyment! I will attend every Wednesday I can!! There can never be too much effort to bring joy back to the fine people of Middletown!
"Because nice matters..."
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlayne Skeens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 11:15pm

Boy Did I start a Conversation or what???????????

I am NOT a Middletown born and raised person, but I want to say that there are a lot of born and raised Middletown people that are so negative ~ I married a Middletown man and I LOVE MIDDLETOWN !!!
I have been here for almost 25 years and seen better days here;
 however, every town goes through peaks and valleys
It's not about the East vs. the Downtown ~ It's about Community!!! AND YES, Middletown has problems AND YES, it is going to take more than The Broad Street Bash to solve the problems; however,
I still say THANK YOU JIM WENDEL, TIM LEWIS and anyone else that has a hand in this event ~
 Yes, it would be nice if there were more shopping, restaurants, etc in the area; however,
there are a few that are doing their best to bring more to Middletown ~ In Downtown and in the East ~ Instead of complaining and making things worse by your negative words, change your tune and look to what good there is ( even if only small things )  Where Negative Thoughts are ~ Negative things will only come ~
Where Positive Thoughts are ~ Positive things can come from Positive Brainstorming.
Middletown is a diamond in the rough right now ~
We can be part of a Positive Jeweler or we can be negative and have Fools Gold !!!
 What do you want???

*For ALL Your Real Estate Needs Call Marlayne with Real Living Realty Services @ 513-465-6747
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 7:25am
Well I think we all know that downtown will never be what it use to be.  The BSB is great event for people to go to relax and have some fun.  However, a lot of people hate to see money wasted downtown when all areas of the city are dying.  Ultimately we need more business (not just small retail), to bring more jobs, to bring more income into the city.  Then and only then will you see Middletown start to grow again.  But what it looks like to many is that the powers to be are spending to much time on lands swap deals downtown, so certain individuals will make a big profit.  In return, what did we create that was a good for Middletown? 

You will see people gripe on this site.  However if you read it you have good ideas as well.  Very few city management has ever came on here to correct something, add their 2 cents, or just ask for ideas.  They would rather say those MUSA bloggers don't know what they are talking about.  I would challenge any one of them to come on here and discuss where they want the city to go, and how they want to get there. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlayne Skeens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 2:45pm
Bobbie ~ You are correct when you say Downtown Middletown will never be the same ~ Most Places will never be the same ~ we all have memories of yesterdays gone by.

You are also correct, that some of the people that make comments on MiddletownUSA.com have Wonderful Ideas and I so wish their ideas would take place.

Until then, we still need to leave the negativity behind.

I for 1 do not think that the money that is spent on The Broad Street Bash is wasted. I'll be back to listen to the music, eat dinner from the vendors & donate to Hope House. Again Thank You to Jim Wendel & his gang!

The few businesses that are downtown still have to pay taxes and they are banking that Downtown has the possibility to come around. Thank you to the few that are trying.

I for 1 would love for the Downtown to make it. I use to come to the resturants when they were open and I hope that 56 Degree reopens. I shopped the few stores when it was a Covered Mall & I will shop the few now.

If every business leaves Middletown, then I'll shop elswhere, which saddens me. If the shopping leaves, then we need to have plenty of greenspace and a Peaceful place to come home to. Middletown is peaceful compared to many cities and the traffic is lower. Middletown is the Perfect Bedroom Community for people to live and still be close to Cincinnati and Dayton. Let's clean up the city, bring up our school scores and invite the public to see just how Grand Middletown is. Where is that Middie Pride? Let's STOP the negative and look to The Positive. I believe The Broad Street Bash is Positive and we need more positive Community functions ~
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 7:17pm
Ms. Skeens,
I agree, in principle, with much of what you say.  I, too, shopped downtown as often as I could.

However, I disagree that we can "stop the negative" by looking to the positive.  Ignoring the negative will NOT make it go away.  We cannot solve our problems until we first admit they exist.  Ignoring problems simply will not help, and usually is the fertilizer that makes (or at least allows) them to grow.

To solve problems is to examine them, understand them, address them, and prevent them from recurring.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ringmaster View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 5:08pm
thats a great idea i allways wanted to see that done
ringmaster
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:39pm
Great Job Jim and your group! Once again you have brought an amazing variety of music and people to the downtown area.

One giant step in the right economic direction.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 2:17am
Plus you have room to try different shows or acts.  The town needs to get out of this. While the mall interior is only slightly more functional than the Broad St.area, the surrounding businesses would get a bump, and should be co-sponsors. However if you read it you have good ideas as well.  Very few city management has ever came on here to correct something, add their 2 cents, or just ask for ideas. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic