Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unspecified Sutphin Street Project Problems??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
High Speed Rail?? View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unspecified Sutphin Street Project Problems??
    Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 9:19pm
A familiar MiddletownUSA contributor advised me tonight that the Sutphin Street Project has encountered some major unexpected problems that may expand the scope of work and taxpayers costs??  Anyone??
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2010 at 8:41am
Dont know if it's true or not, but I don not doubt. I live right there, in fact one end of my street is closed as it ends in to Sutphin St. They do have the road tore up, but I have not seen any work done this past week.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2010 at 10:38pm
Does anyone know about a rumored emergency gathering of City staff, elected officials, etc. to discuss this alleged little problem??

If the rumored emergency is factual, has anyone heard that up to $200,000 in CDBG funds will be transferred from the proposed Lafayette Avenue repaving project??

At the next meeting of the City Council on July 6th, will emergency legislation be presented for an alleged Sutphin Street project change order??

Randy, keep us posted as to the number of additional days that work is halted on this STIMULUS Project.

Anyone??
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 7:02am
Pretty much as I heard it, except the meeting might be earlier(don't they meet this Tuesday for Housing?).
I asked to use the end of the alley behind my business to access exiting there quickly onto Central.
Wanted to use this harmlessly during first of month and holiday business while NO work is being done.
My request was denied.
Asked 2 Councilmembers(1st ward and 4th ward)--no reply from either.

Business friendly and economic retention need to be more than feel good buzz words around here.

So--we can seriously over-pay for worthless real estate that we can't afford to demo, but we can't perform basic obligations like simply fixing a street, or actually completing one street project before tearing apart another busy intersection.

Priority/leadership problems maybe?
Wonder why our retail areas are dead or dying?

Stimulus project--lol
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 8:08am
SpiderJohn -

Thanks for this morning's post about the Sutphin Street problems and special thanks to Miss Vivian who first informed me.  Thank you both for caring about what goes on behind One Donham Plaza closed doors.  Maybe more Middletonians will someday pay notice to these types of little secrets?

Randy -

Please let us know when any construction may start again on this STIMULUS project.  Your post was also much appreciated.

We badly need much, much more TRANSPARENCY plus ACCOUNTABILITY in local government !!
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 8:14am
Spider John -

How disappointing that a long-standing business such as yours is prohibited from utilizing an alley because of this little Sutphin Street project.  I agree, it shows how UNSUPPORTIVE our local elitist City Hall decision-makers are.  And, shame on the two City Council members (Picard and Allen) for failing to answer your inquiries.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 8:59am
Will this area become the latest long-term intersection boondoggle similar to the corner of Shafor and University? How long has that vital intersection been shut down, and when will it be repaired and re-opened?

No visits to any of the affected businesses in any of these areas, just like during the extended Yankee Rd.shutdown after the disaster caused by Air Products and AK(oddly both responsible parties were allowed access top the closed road, as were SCHOOL BUSES).  No letters, no phonecalls, no ED updates or newspaper releases clarifying anything.

If you remember this project was emergency legislated early in the year, even though there were still many ?s regarding the scope and expense of this project. Another example of hastily approved and un-necessary emergency legislation. If the project had been researched properly and gone through 1st and 2nd readings, it probably would have been completed without disruption in LESS time than it will take now after the original and ANOTHER round of hastily organized emergency legislation. Is there a lesson here?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 12:39pm
"I hope Tuesday's session will be televised."  

It will be televised Mr. Spider, MUSA will be there getting some video. It is time to put our leaders back in the spotlight.

This Sutphin street project is a mess, as I am sure most of you can see as you drive past. There has been no work in weeks. I do have one question that may sound odd. Were are all those people that live there on Sutphin parking ? I put in a call to the Funeral home there and was informed that they are open and you can get to their building from Woodlawn and Wicof (but that is subject to change).

I have always said that Sutphin street need fixed, but as this price I say it should have been left alone.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 1:08pm
So Randy what is the deal on tomorrows meeting glancing briefly at the Middletown Home page saw nothing there?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 1:27pm
Pac, the next meeting is July 6th. Nothing happening tomorrow
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 2:44pm
Ok, I stand corrected!! There is a meeting tomorrow, I just got a call from the one of the two council members I still trust. Tomorrow's meeting will be asking for more money for the Sutphin street project. Word I got was dont count on it.

Again if you cant watch or attend the meeting MUSA will be there and will post the video first thing in the morning.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 2:57pm
To Joshua Laubach -

As a constituent of yours, I sincerely request that you won't continue going along with the dictates of the old boys and girls club at City Hall, etc. and stop voting to confirm their frequent emergency legislative items.  We hope that you'll be a voice for transparency and accountability in municipal government as you promised.  The option is yours.

To A.J. Smith -

Ditto what I said to Joshua.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Ok, I stand corrected!! There is a meeting tomorrow, I just got a call from the one of the two council members I still trust. Tomorrow's meeting will be asking for more money for the Sutphin street project. Word I got was dont count on it.

Again if you cant watch or attend the meeting MUSA will be there and will post the video first thing in the morning.
What time?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 3:22pm
I should have asked....What time is the meeting tomorrow?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 3:52pm

5:30 pm , this will be a special meeting to discuss the Sutphin street project and there will also be a a meeting on Middletown Public housing .

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Just for my own edification we would vote "NO" on this issue........why?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 4:59pm
Pac, If I understood my phone call, it's not there will be a no vote. It's that that is no more money to give to this project. when this money was put aside for the job it was done so on the numbers that were submitted to council at the time. Now more is needed but there might not be more to give.

I guess we will se tomorrow wont we.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 5:03pm
I repeat, don't be surprised if the budget shuffling routine of City Hall is engaged another time as CDBG funds may be utilized to cover/help cover the cost of this project change order.  JMO.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 9:03pm
I just took a walk down down Sutphin Street and I must say that the street is a mess. I dont know how long or what the cost to fix it will be but man o man is it gonna be a task.

I cant wait for tomorrows meeting to hear someone explain how this job has turned into what it is now.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 10:25pm
So if the city got money to do the street why did they run out of money ? (if thats the real problem)

Maybe playing the shell game and transfering it into other fund accounts ?? Which wouldn't shock me. 
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 11:11pm
Tomorrow night many Middletonians will look on with interest as City Council reviews this little problem.  It should prove interesting as to which members belong to the Old Guard and which are truly independent.

The citizens of Middletown will be listening closely to the word-smithing from Miss Judy G. and her merry band of City Hall underlings.  Whatever you do, be at One Donham Plaza or watch TV Middletown to watch this one.  It may be quite revealing?  We can only hope.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 6:07am
I have walked it also--from Woodlawn to Central.
The city has no option other than to fix it completely now.
Will be interesting to see where the $$ is found, since the project was stopped due to lack of funding.
Since the job must be finished and the $$ must be found--why stop the work for this extended time?
Doesn't the city recognize the hardship to hundreds of residents and businesses?

This project was supposed to be completed by the end ofd July.
Any guess on a new completion date?
End of September would be my guess--long after school starts again.

Old guard--new faces--who cares?
Just get something right.

Thanks to Mr.Adkins for the effort and report.
Seems to say what most around here have been saying for quite a while.
That the Section 8 program has been both detrimental and costly to the city.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 7:31am
Any of you see how quickly and efficiently the repaving work went from the Midd. city limits out to the Speedway at Manchester and Rt. 25? They had all the lanes stripped in a day or two and had the sublayer on soon after that. Next thing you know, they had the top layer on and the road stripping painted.....minimal delays and inconviences. It can be done........unless it involves the city of Middletown of course.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 12:04pm
Here are some pictures I took last night of Sutphin Street.

Sutphin%20Street%20Road%20Repair%20on%20Hold

To it does not look like an easy task to fix.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 7:20am
OK, the article in the Journal tells us that Gilleland says that there might be some more cost incurred with the increase in materials costs with Barrett Paving. Didn't they sign a contract for a specific amount and both Barrett and the city agreed upon that cost? Why the potential increase in cost now, due to materials increases since January? Shouldn't that have been decided and agreed upon before signing the contract? The article also mentioned that the work stoppage was because the concrete curbs were in "worse shape than we anticipated". What????? Didn't Barrett look at Sutphin BEFORE signing the contract to see what was needed both paving and concrete-wise, to have prevented this from happening? Did they bid on this without actually looking at the job first? Why is it always a cluster when the city is involved in anything they attempt to do?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic