FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8 Report 6/10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Section 8 Report 6/10
    Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 7:57am
Mr. Adkins states,
Quote “I am trying to give them everything they need to make an intelligent decision on the fate of the program,” he said. “Now it is their decision as to what policies they want to enact.”

The information available so far does not provide "everything they need to make an intelligent decision".  This report takes a multidimensional problem and tries to come up with a one dimensional answer.

This problem affects the City, The Schools and the business community and beyond, all economically.  

1)  Where are the other parts of the study?
2)  Where is the part about the impact on our school system?
3)  Where is the study on the impact to our local businesses economically?
4)  Where is the study on the overall impact of poverty on the city as a whole and its residents, home values, etc.?
5)  Where is the study on the impact to the growth of our Retail and Service Businesses which is a declining sector in this city?  Need I go on.

This report leaves out so much  intelligent information, how can anyone make an "intelligent decision" on what the impact of this excessive program is on our community.  We have a Multidimensional problem with a typical one dimensional Government solution, How much it is costing the city directly, and that is it, this study ignores significant issues in this community.

Doug Adkins View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 8:16am
I agree with most of what you have said, but I had to focus on tangible numbers that we had the ability to gather.  The impact on our schools would have to factor in the specific performance of children on the Section 8 program living within the City vs. the population as a whole, and I don't believe those specific numbers could be easily generated.  There clearly is some impact on the school system.  The same with business.  The study showed that when Section 8 exceeds 10% of your housing stock, widespread disinvestment occurs in the area, but it is difficult to separate out the impact of the recession and the foreclosure crisis and the loss of disposable income's effect on business vs. the impact of Section 8 vouchers specifically.  The same with home values.  We can measure disinvestment, and the report deals with home values directly showing a steep drop in surrounding home values when more than two Section 8 homes are clustered together.  It took 96 pages to get to where we can "start" the discussion, this is not meant to be the end of the process, merely the first step.

The journal got it wrong, by the way.  The recommendation is to reduce Section 8 to a "maximum" of 445 vouchers in the City, meaning the recommendation is to relocate over 1200 of the 1662 vouchers operating within the City.
Doug Adkins
Community Revitalization Director
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 8:29am
Now that sounds better,dropping from >1600 down to 445. Thanks for that clarification Mr Adkins.

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 9:23pm
Who has the finle say that we are allowed to reduse the number?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 10:04pm
Mr. Adkins well done report.Thumbs%20Up  After reading the report and watching the Meeting tonight, tough council at times, we are your buddies here on MiddletownUSALOL.  I hope you can pull this off as it is an interesting way of dealing with this issue.  Kudos to Parma for using the system to their advantage. 
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 6:16am
This from today's Middletown Journal:

"To date, 1,662 voucher holders make up 8.6 percent of the city’s population. As the report outlines, the city has a higher percentage of Section 8 residents than Butler, Warren, Montgomery and Hamilton counties combined."

Who in the world is responsible for this city having a higher percentage of Section 8 vouchers than all of Butler, Warren, Montgomery, & Hamilton counties combined?????
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 7:08am
Past and current city councils allowed this fiasco to happen. Self-admitted money losing venture, throwing more pressure on the city's police with the increased calls to Section 8 residences not to mention what it has done to the city's standing in the area. The chart indicates the obvious. More than twice the amount Hamilton has. If the vouchers are based on city population, how did we get more than double what we were suppose to have and who, specifically, was responsible for this number acceptance? Lower the vouchers to less than Hamilton's 732. All of this for the purpose of gaining operating revenue for the city in lieu of job creation. Mercy! And how's that Section 8 program working out for you now, Gilleland and company?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 7:26am

Rhodes it is past Councils and City Employees.  I am still having a hard time believing that any City Employees or elected Officials would OK the escalation in Vouchers just to fill vacant homes.  I don't know of any other  City that would raise their Poverty Rate by 50%+  just to fill vacant homes.  It just doesn't make sense financially, economically and is definitely not in the best interest of the city overall.  I don't get why City Officials can't get the big picture especially in the past 5 years or so although some have gotten better.  The sad part is some of those same City Officials/Employees are still calling the shots.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Mercy! And how's that Section 8 program working out for you now, Gilleland and company?
Gilleland is hardly to blame for Middletown's Section 8 issue.  It was alive and well when she arrived.  And she has done nothing but try address it since becoming city manager.  Remember how she recommended to Council to drop CONSCO?  Remember how several former Council members--Schiavone, Marconi, Armbruster--wanted CONSCO to remain (If it ain't broke don't fix it was one of quotes I believe).  She wanted to move everything over to BMPHA.  And one of her direct reports--Doug Aktins--puts together a very comprehensive report detailing the issues and making siginifcant changes to the program.

She reports to Council and must take her direction from them, even if she believes its not the right thing to do.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 11:46am
Yes, you're right swohio75, but then again, she is the captain of the ship in this town and as such, is responsible for the overall activity. She chose to be a city manager and when you play the role of "CEO", you accept criticism that may or may not be of your own choosing.

You are correct.... to her credit, in the beginning, she did suggest dropping CONSOC and moving it to the housing authority when the three councilmembers you mentioned were here. But Marconi, Armbruster and Schiavone have been gone for awhile. Have you heard of any attempts from her as to a new approach with a new group of councilmembers? I haven't. Perhaps the Adkins report is the start of her attempt at changing this program for the better. I hope so. The Section 8 fiasco is just the tip of the iceberg for me and what she has done since her arrival. IMO, it has not been a performance anywhere close to a satisfactory rating and she is one of several contributors toward this town's potential demise. Look at what she has condoned from Robinette's department toward inactivity, Kohler's agenda of selective business attraction and the downward spiral of the city in general. It is shameful and they are shameless. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 12:15pm

In 2000, there were 767 Section 8 units. In 2004, council capped the number of housing units. By 2007, there were 1662.

High Speed Rail?? View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 12:31pm
Packman -

Bill Becker retired as City Manager in January 2007.  I believe that he served in that capacity for part of 2004 and all of 2005 and 2006.

The escalation of Section 8 units occurred between 2000 and 2005.  I thought that you'd want to know.

Regarding the Historic Cemetery, why don't you give Vivian Moon a call.  She will gladly answer your questions.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 12:38pm
I was just curious about the Cemetery saw it in the City Mangers report this morning, was just wondering if they are going to fix the Vault.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 12:47pm

High one of the Reports I read stated that the big run up in vouchers occurred between 2004-5 to 2007.  I will see if I can dig it up again.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 12:58pm
Allow me to present my "pessimistic" view of WHY the number of vouchers escalated. (And this is only theory because I don't know of any other logical explanation for the increase)

1. The increase happened because a lot of money was to be made

2. I seriously believe kickbacks from landlords played a very big part and or the city received secret money to take on all the section 8.

Do I see crooks behind every tree ? No....just every other tree. The explanation of just filling vacant houses sounds more like an excuse than a logical reason. Do I trust career politicians ? No.

If anyone has better & more logical reasons please feel free to post. Big%20smile
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 1:48pm

The section 8 numbers in Middletown are sickening, I will give credit where credit is due and Mr. Adkins is at least making an attempt to right the wrongs of past city leaders.

I think what gets under my skin the most is the lack of interest shown by Becker and the Mayor and now Picard to have these problems addressed. Lets be honest here, Becker was the city manger for a while and the number of vouchers went up unchecked. Now he site there on City Council with out a care in the world as to how or why it should be fixed.

The People of Middletown should be ashamed of electing such a person to that seat. Someone, anyone name onething he has done to help Middletown??
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 1:51pm
If Bill Becker served as city manager in 2004-05 until 2007, and the ramp up came during this time, what does Mr. Becker have to say as to the reasons for the ramp up? Has he ever been asked why or when asked, avoided giving an answer? Haven't heard any explanation from him as to why this happened under his watch. Anyone?

randy- Mr. Becker was our esteemed police chief at one time, giving years of public service to Middletown. Now, given that, wonder what the officers, detectives and others thought about working for him during that time. Would tell you something about the character of the man, hearing from his subordinates. No one around anymore that would elaborate on this I guess. Seems a bit full of himself at times by his demeanor. Seems a bit "distant" from people. Might be wrong.

Keeps getting elected (or selected- emergency director) for these positions. Name recognition I guess. Certainly not job performance while serving on council. Can't imagine that has impressed many people. Does seem a tad bit disinterested sitting up there at times, doesn't he?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 1:56pm
Well Vet, if anyone can get him to answer a phone call or an email please let me now. Becker is one of the reason we are in this boat, just one of many. But, you cant ask him beacuse he wont talk to you...he is above us.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic