FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A question for Sir Laubach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question for Sir Laubach
    Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 12:31am

“To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Who originally stated this, Sir?
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 2:46am
LOL

Good one.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 7:09am

Cassius Clay circa the Vietnam War.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 7:20am
Who originally stated this? I'm inclined to believe it could have been one of our founding fathers back in the days when there was actually honor, but I'm gonna forgo that and say that I saw this very same wording hanging on the wall behind council chambers as we were saying the Pledge the other night at the council meeting. Certainly words to live by and no doubt sanctioned by all of our honorable city leaders. Yessir, always doing right by the people!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 7:41am
That would be Thomas Jefferson and I believe the actual quote is, "To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 9:00am
I love when people quote the founding fathers as if they are prophets or saints.  Why don't we also quote their opinions on slavery, rights of women, the use of leeches, and medical technology?
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 9:23am
I agree with Bill.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 10:48am
Bill and Gemneye the topic that this quote was concerned with had nothing to do with Slavery, Womens Rights, Leeches, Medical Technology or Bozo Liberal thinking.  But as usual the Libs turn everything around to other topics rather than stick to the point at hand.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 11:02am
What exactly made the founding fathers so great ? I never understood how these men could hold slaves and mistreat them then quote the bible and go to church every Sunday. And don't forget ole Jefferson was playing hanky-panky with one of or all of his slaves. Why do we make hero's of them ?

What about George Custer ? He wasn't a founder but he still rides history as some kind of hero. He murdered women and children just because they were different than he was. Of course he was also under orders but orders can be disobeyed.

Funny how we make these people out to be hero's and do gooders when they were actually muderers and profit seeking self indulgent politicians.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 11:54am
Ahh yes, Jefferson- the original Hugh Hefner playboy. Just as Hef is doing now, I imagine Jefferson threw lavish parties, drank heavily, was surrounded by women constantly, and played the playboy role even as he was wrinkling like a prune and became a shriveled old fart as he aged- just like Hef.

What do you mean "orders can be disobeyed" Hermes? I bet, if you're smart and want to stay in one piece, that you do everything momma says to do at the Hermes estate. You've been around the block a few times and you ain't no fool. Don't give us some of that rebellion crap!

Look at how the word "hero" is used nowadays. It is used so freely, a person is labeled a hero for merely doing their jobs now. The military praise comes to mind here. They are labeling these guys in Iraq as heroes when they were merely doing what they were assigned to do. Takes the importance and honor away from the TRUE HEROES like the Medal Of Honor winners, don't you think? THEY are the heroes, IMO.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 12:25pm
It appears the irony of the post is lost on a few of you.

It's obvious the reason the post was made above is because of what Laubach posted on this forum on August 4th: "I believe in the economic and governing principles laid out by Thomas Jefferson, Adam Smith, and John Locke."

As typical with liberals, they knee jerk react first and then manage to find a way to be offended at the same time!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 12:49pm
Vet - Good statement as always ! Thumbs%20Up 
And I agree that hero is used to often for the reason you state and for the wrong purposes.
But the problem being when a politician creates a mess like Iraq what is the best way to garner public support ? Call everyone a hero ! When the towers fell how did they gain popular support ? Everyone was a hero ! Thats how the cops became hero's,now everyone just over looks the police beatings,frequent tazer incidents,violation of rights because the friggin cops are hero's !!

Rhodes - The irony of the original post isn't lost on us. We know exactly what Mr. Saunders is refering to. The irony here lies with those who support the statement made by a man who supported slavery & on the pretext of that man being some great leader of a democracy/republic who sat in his den sipping wine from his vineyard while his slaves did all the work so that he could sit there in a stupor and think up all these great sayings that he knew would be quoted by someone 200 years after he died. LOL
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 1:30pm
Hermes, all I have to say to you is "Child, please!"
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 1:54pm
Rhodes - All I have to say to you is this quote which exemplifies my statements above.

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus." Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic