FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

National Service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Service
    Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 7:08am
We have had some wonderful discussions on this blog about a wide range of topics but I would like to hear your opinion about requiring every young male 18 years of age that is not attending school to perform 2 years of National Service.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 7:38am
Are you talking about Conscription into the Military or into some thing like the AmeriCorps?  Also why only the Men?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 9:40am
Pacman
Military rules but not military service.
It could also apply to young women however I wouldn'y want them to serve together...
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 9:48am
Since I'm old school I think everyone 18 and up should serve a minimum of 3 years service in one of the branches of military.

As for national service I would need to know what exactly that is.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 10:28am
Vivian- my son was in school and has two years in and quit temporarily to work to start paying on his student loans. He plans to go back to school, just doesn't know when. How do you think this would play out in your suggestion? You mention 18 years old as the minimum age- what would be the maximum age in your program? He is 26 now. He may not even apply because of his age.

Hermes- wouldn't a little basic training and the discipline it provides (or did provide in our day) help alot of these younger people organize and prioritize their lives better than what we see nowadays? Couldn't hurt IMO.

I agree, Pac. Need to include the women also. Why not, they participate now in the war efforts.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 12:41pm
Vet
    We have strong young men walking the streets that have not graduated from high school with no skills, no jobs and no goals. The longer they are on the streets the greater their chance of being sent to prison where we will pay $40,000 a year to keep them locked up.

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 3:26pm
I personally love the military.  I have served and have considered going back.  Being that I was in special operations and having friends that are currently in Special Forces, my wife isn't too keen on the idea.  They rotate to the Middle East every 6 months. 
Having said that, I don't believe requiring all young men/women to serve is the answer.  Look at how many of our soldiers are in prisons.   How many are lost once they get out.  A person has to want to serve.

It was said on other boards that parents need to be more involved.  I believe that.  Kids need strong mentors and people to be involved in their lives.  Told they can succeed.  Even if kids need to take out student loans to pay for school, college is an option for them. Or even the military is an option.  Options need to be pointed out to kids earlier and reinforced throughout school. 
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 11:30pm
You mention 18 years old as the minimum age- what would be the maximum age in your program? He is 26 now. He may not even apply because of his age.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic