FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunset Pool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 6:29pm
I think it would be very nice if the Thatcher estate would donate money for the pool.

Lord knows the Thatcher's made enough money around this town to spread a little butter on everybodies bread.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 9:34pm
I beginnihg to think that someone is trying to jerk our chain with this  vannest posting, The spelling and run together words seems very phony like someone is trying their best to deplict the image of some uneducated poor hillbilly on welfare..  Too much poor stuff is revealed which isn't really in line with the our discussion on city matters. Me thinks I  smell a clown. Like the Great One says,just my opinion.
vannestmom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannestmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 11:51am
tomahawk there it is again. just bc someone dont agree with u u try to make tham out to be phoney!!!!Confused

all i am saying on this site is that not everyone is able to get to a pool and it would b nice if there was a way to open that pool up for the people!! y does that make me a clown? u are just on here just so smart and educated more than others arent u? i hope it makes u feel good to make fun of others. u just seem so insecure making fun and tring to act smart.Tongue
"think before you judge"
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by vannestmom vannestmom wrote:

tomahawk there it is again. just bc someone dont agree with u u try to make tham out to be phoney!!!!Confused

all i am saying on this site is that not everyone is able to get to a pool and it would b nice if there was a way to open that pool up for the people!! y does that make me a clown? u are just on here just so smart and educated more than others arent u? i hope it makes u feel good to make fun of others. u just seem so insecure making fun and tring to act smart.Tongue
Vannest, Did you actually read what I said and if you did how did you come up with your reply ?
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannestmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 9:33am
yes i read it!!! you try and others try to act like people in middletown that arnt like u arent real!! jsut bc my opinions are diff doesnt make me phoney!! u r so smart tomahawk i wish we all could b like u!
"think before you judge"
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 12:06pm

Seems the city can find money to tear down buildings but cant find a way to keep the pool open? Maybe the Mayor could ask his buddy Mr.McCoy to have AK contribute again.Wink

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 11:32pm

yes i read it!!! you try and others try to act like people in middletown that arnt like u arent real!! jsut bc my opinions are diff doesnt make me phoney!! u r so smart tomahawk i wish we all could b like u!
So you would like to be old and overweight?Smile
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 11:43pm

If I was so smart,I wouldn't  still be living in this town. I wouldn't be working everyday plus any weekend or holiday that is offered, but then again I have been spoiled I have got use to using the toilet inside. No need to raise the bar too high in life.Smile
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 11:45pm

Sorry vannest,I am happily married so there is no use in trying to sweet-talk me.Smile
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannestmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 1:22pm
i dont have any idea what u r talking about. Clown
"think before you judge"
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 3:06am
Thanks so much for the wonderful information you provided us.
midres View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 10:06am
Just a thought.  If anyone has ever been to Keehner Park in West Chester, then you know what a really nice venue they have for, virtually, any kind of performance.  The amphitheater is wonderful and quite simple in design.  And... there is a very nice play area for children.  Also, there is very ample parking.  Perhaps the city and our school board could come together and develop something similar utilizing both Sunset Park and the Roosevelt School properties.  This area is really quite central in our city and easy to get to.  When concerts were held there, they were always very well attended -- from all factions in town.  Parking was a hassle but this could be alleviated with the addition of the Roosevelt property.  Like I said, it's just a thought but, perhaps, a land swap or some other deal could be worked out between the city, the schools, and the Parks Department.
midres View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 10:08am
One thing that I neglected to add was that such a large area might provide adequate space for a very nice splash pad.  This would be one way to satisfy the need for a refreshing water play area in the summer time.
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 10:19am
Good idea midres...and thanks to others who actually chose to discuss the pool post...the rest of the bs was uncalled for and getting kind of old.  I hate having to scroll thru 27 posts of rants and raves, name-calling, etc to actually see what those interested in the subject have to say...take the rest to another thread.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 2:07am

Popcorn anyone?LOL

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 6:39am
City mulls razing pool
It’ll cost $70K to remove Sunset Pool as council faces projected $3.7M budget shortfall.

With demolition looming, Wood said it will be “the end of an era” for a city that’s supported public pool access since 1928 when Sunset Pool opened. Douglass Pool was converted to a splash pad in 2008 using an AK Steel grant

THE STATEMENT BELOW IS WHAT IS SAD AND DEVASTATING FOR THE CITY. EVEN MORE DISGUSTING IS THAT MOST OF THIS WAS INVITED IN BY THE CITY LEADERS AND THEIR GHETTO PROGRAMS. WHY? PER CAPITA INCOME OF $19,838......NO ONE CAN LIVE A DECENT LIFE NOR HAVE ANY HOPE AT ALL ON THIS INCOME. THESE PROGRAMS WERE ALL APPROVED BY SOME PEOPLE MAKING HIGH FIVE AND SIX FIGURE INCOMES. THEY HAVE NO SCRUPLES NOR MORAL CHARACTER OR THEY WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THIS TO THIS CITY.

Given that Middletown has a large low-income populace — the city has an estimated per capita income of $19,838 according to the U.S. Census — Wood said he believes City Council is ignoring the needs of its residents

“Hypocrisy is that Weatherwax Golf Course is (out of) town and serves middle-aged white men and is subsidized $100,000 by the city. It is open in good years and bad, rain or sunshine,” Wood said. “As I have said many times it seems the city is more interested in serving people who like to golf then kids who need a place to go for the summer — which is the demographics of Middletown.”

AMEN MERRILL.

JUST LET THE POOL BE FOR RIGHT NOW. IT'S NOT HURTING ANYTHING SITTING DORMANT.

BOTTOM LINE.....THE CITY ALWAYS MANAGES TO FIND SOME "HIDDEN FUNDS" TO START THE PROJECTS THEY ARE INTERESTED IN. IN THIS CASE, WE HAVE TWO MONEY-LOSING VENTURES.....THE GOLF COURSE AND THE POOL. ONE MONEY DRAIN IS OVERLOOKED AND THE OTHER MAY GO AWAY. THEY PICK AND CHOOSE...IT IS NOT UNBIASED. IT IS NOT LOGICAL. IT IS FOR THE "FRIENDS OF THE CITY". THEY ARE DISGUSTING.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 8:03am
The absolute hyprocrisy in having $80k set aside to demolish the pool but not having $20k to operate it. Absolute crap. If you've got $80k, you have money to operate the pool for 4 years!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 9:40am
I am not a lawyer, but I'm wondering if there might be grounds to file an injunction barring the city from demolishing the pool on the basis that the decision to do so is:
  1. discriminatory towards the lower-income residents of the city who cannot afford to build their own backyard pool, join a local country club, YMCA, or waterpark, and cannot afford to travel out of town to other municipal pools (Franklin, Hunter, etc.),
  2. it will cause the surrounding properties to have lower values,
  3. it will cause irreparable harm to the residents of the City by eliminating an option for a service that benefits the well being of the community and its residents, and
  4. it will cause irreparable harm to the City itself as the current state of the city's finances would prohibit ever having a new pool constructed.

Any pro-pool lawyers on here feel like doing a pro-bono solid for the residents? Unfortunately, the folks most affected by this decision are the ones who cannot afford to spend money on legal representation.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 10:26am

Can bitch and moan all we want but till we the taxpayers say enough is enough and get rid of the spineless people that run this city it will and never change.Its funny how they can find money to fill it in but cant find money to operate it.Wink

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 11:06am
I agree totally with Mr. Wood and his reference to "hypocrisy". $100,000 for middle-class golfers but not a dime for kids, while asking AK Steel to allow $18,000. to be diverted from their gift to the city. Perhaps MMF? What sheer madness. When its hot, kids swim, when its cool and overcast, they don't. The tend is simple to figure. I recall swimming there when it was .50, about $2.00 with today's inflation.

Middletown's leadership has shown again what its focus is upon: the existing older citizens, the 'lifers', and not the up and coming young adults. This is a city of 48,000. More imporatnt for the public to have access to Weatherwax while city loses tens and hundreds of thousands annually. With gas $4.00/gal, more kids staying home than driving up and down the highway. It simply shows the horizon for city planners and leaders is about a year or two, to take care of their friends, and no vision for the future. Cincinnati State left for dead, or put on hold at least until next fiscal year for state entities, July 2012, while paying for moth balling, and a failing effort. Pratt making $70,000 to play host for the illuminati of Cincinnati State while they hire a Boston firm to help them kill the deal---enginnering in Middletown, culinary arts, flat growth, but land locked? What a mess.

What a shame city asking nearly 80% of money that would fund a year city with-held, to be diverted elsewhere. Don't tri-atheletes that ride bikes also swim as part of training? Bike path important, pool not, golf couse scared, pool and kids, get lost. Sad.   
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 11:19am
This may still be a ploy to build an $80,000 dog park by Judy and Sam. That would be crap! As stated previously, the Roosevelt/Sunset Park area could be made even better as the economy allows. 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 11:22am
They could easily buy the Roosevelt school property and convert that into their precious dog park. No need to demolish Sunset Pool.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 11:36am
No need but are  "Spineless" council feels the need once again to say hell what the community thinks.I wish at times I was as smart as them.LOL
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 11:38am
I'd rather see a dog park elsewhere. As I stated in another thread, flood part of the football/track area for ice skating in the winter. We used to skate on Smith Pond and later the Sunset tennis courts were flooded in the winter. There could be plenty of parking available. Someone (Spider?) also mentioned an ampitheater. Lots of possibilities as economy allows.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2011 at 6:58am
Journal story......Sunset Pool will 
be demolished

The city will move forward with plans to demolish Sunset Pool.

Bad move IMO. Just store it. It is not necessary to demolish it in it's location. It is not like it is in the way of new housing development. It is not in the way of the Sunset Park functions. It will not cost the city any sizable amount to sit dormant until all scenarios have been explored. It would appear this is a knee-jerk reaction by council as some seem to take pleasure in seeing anything and everything bulldozed with the resulting vacant lot remaining with no potential use on the horizon. If we could start seeing some activity on the buildings that have already been demolished, might be a different thing, but I would imagine that most of what has been knocked down, will stay a vacant lot for years (decades) to come. They are looking for every nickel and dime to offset the 3.7 mil budget deficit. Here's another $70-$80 thou spent that could be added to the pot. JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic