FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roosevelt Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roosevelt Demo
    Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 12:12pm
Demolition has begun at the east end of the building.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 2:03pm
Great Pics !!
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 2:55pm
Whats next on the demo list ?  Ermm

What happens when they run out of stuff to demolish ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 3:37pm
O'Roark and Rausch Demolition ain't worried about what to demolish next. Both of 'em will go out of business after everything is torn down and hauled away in Middletown to allow the owners to retire on the money they've made off the city so far.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 4:46pm
As of this afternoon. Hate to see it go.....went to Jr. High School at Roosevelt.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 6:57pm
409- you can almost see the ghosts of Ralph Rettig hanging around when they were tearing into the gymnasium on the east end can't you? How about Valda Wilkerson, Homer Sorrell, Edith Matson, Kiki Demetrion, JR Line, Mr. Krebs, Ms. Boeke, Harvey Apple and others from the 60's who taught there. Memories headed to the landfill. Guess they call this progress. And all that money spent for the new windows in that school several years ago. Mercy! Would have been nice to take a final tour before this.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 12:41am
Vet....remember them all. Played some ball for Ralph back in those days. I did some digging around and found my 1961 Rotaro (Orator) yearbook. It's the only one from Roosevelt I have left. Don't know what happened to the others. This one has been damp at some point in time and is a little yellowed.
Aside from the teachers info and the usual stuff, I find the ads at the back from mostly defunct merchants interesting. Hagias Candies, Allsports, Wilmer Motors, Union Sanitary, Mayer Meat Co., Sam Bartell's Shoes, Liberty, Greene & Ladd, Revelos Confectionary (formerly Elite), Marconi Electrical Service, Gough-Lamb, Community Store, Burnett's, Davidson Photo, Robersons, Filsons, Borden's Dairy, Dagenbach Shoes, Murphy's, Vradelis, Heber Jones, Lewis Drugs, Osborne Studios, Coca Cola Bottling Co., Dohn's, Ortman-Stewart, C.E. Greathouse & Son, Corner Men's Shop, Chapple Leasing, Consolidated, Gillen-Crow, Office Outfitters, Matthews, Peck's Flower Shop, Frisch's, Buckeye Paper, Baker's Jewelry, L&S Paint, John Ross Store, Parrot, Stokes Dairy, Ross Motors, Tobias Studio, Halsey's Men's Shop, Miller's Jewelry, Middletown Lincoln-Mercury, Schiff's Shoes, John Arpp Co., Norris Music, Hatfield Coal, Miller Ins., Central Store, Worthmore Clothes, Roger's Jewelry, Reed-Klopp Co., Irene's Beauty Solon, Diamond-National, First National & Barnitz Banks. 

TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 2:32am
Can someone please explain to me exactly why in the hell they would even consider tearing down this great building?

Censored
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 6:57am
409- Think I still have the green covered and white covered Rotaro from Roosevelt. 7th grade (would have been 1961) and 8th I think. You remember a kid who played basketball named Jerry Birkheimer. Good friend and ex-neighbor of mine growing up on Grand. Haven't seen him in 40+ years.

Hey- Norris Music on First next to the old library. Took trumpet lessons there on Sat morning. "Shorty" Norris owned the place. Mr. Buck was the trumpet teacher. How about Goldflies (sp?) Music on Clinton by the intersection with 1st Ave? Remember most of the others and their locations that you have listed. There was a large number of shoe stores in the downtown area back then, weren't there?

Hatfield Coal next to Divers on 1st, wasn't it?

Where was Davidson Photo before they moved out to the Midd. Shopping Ctr? Bought alot of record albums there.

Many of these buildings still standing although vacant now.

Where was Matthews, Buckeye Paper, Stokes/ Bordens Dairy?

Remember heading down Central to the Community Store on the corner of Shafor and Central for some after school snacks and to socialize. Got some older kids to buy me some rum-soaked crooks to smoke. Nice sweet cigar.

Good times!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 8:35am
Vet....My 1961 Rotaro has a red cover.
I remember Jerry...tall guy.
Hatfield Coal was next to Diver's. They had their address listed as CENTRAL AVE. & BIG 4!  Phone# GA 2-6386
Davidson's was always in the Middletown Shopping Ctr. as best I remember.
Mathews- 1015 Central  GA 2-7551       -The old GArden exchange!
Buckeye Paper Products- not sure where they were located. Paper, Janitor, Restaurant Supply House.
Stokes Dairy- Meadowgold Products
Borden Dairy- 10 Bellemonte. Was on the west side just off of Central. An apartment building sits there now.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 10:40am
Birkheimer- yep, tall and thin- called him "Bird". Hung around with Danny Strickland.

Remember the Garden prefix when dialing the phone. Also the party lines where I use to interrupt the conversations by making smart a-- little comments while the people talked.

Meadowgold milk delivered in the yellow step vans and placed in the metal boxes on the porches. Had the paper inner/outer caps in the glass bottles.

Now you have me wondering what years my green and white (school colors at Roosevelt (the Teddies)) Rotaros are. ?????
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 4:36pm

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 5:17pm
Little bit of the old track around the football field left. In 9th grade pole vaulted in the area of the infield on your first picture upper left hand corner. Alot of Roosevelt/McKinley football rivalry games played on that field.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 1:44pm

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 9:54pm

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 7:12am
Need to save the cuppola/weathervane on the roof. Put it out by the 75 gateway, place a light in it as a beacon of hope for all the voucher folks! Just kiddin'. Gyms gone- wonder where the backboards and rims are? All those relatively new windows-shattered. So much for the long term use of taxpayer monies. Looks like the auditorium side of the building is next.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 9:47pm

SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 10:55pm

Thanks for the update.

Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 5:12pm
So
Are "they" done gutting the heart out of Middletown?
What's next on the wrecking balls hit list?
Is the old library still standing, or?
Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 5:26pm
^The Studio Theater and old First Baptist on Main will probably fall sometime in the future, I would guess.

The STM site by Bicenntinneal Commons will be demolished very soon through a state brownfield grant.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 5:51pm
Wots, would you suggest that we continue to leave buildings standing that do not have any realistic use and cannot be modified in a cost effective manner because of wiring, etc? 

All these people living in the past.....Confused
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 6:53pm
I have to agree with you Bill i don't get it either.  We complain about being left behind and then every time a useless or a building that would cost more to renovate than to build new is torn down everyone complains about.  Folks just what are you going to do with all of these old buildings, where the remediation of Asbestos and mold and Mildew, etc and updating to current standards is not cost effective?  What use are they?
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 7:34pm
It's like the building of the new elementaries -- some people would rather pay for the constant upkeep of the old buildings and the exorbitant cost to wire it for computers, take care of mold, leaking roofs, etc. instead of spending the same or less for new buildings.  Plus the state kicked in most of the money. 
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 8:52pm
The balcony of the auditorium can be seen in these.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 7:10am
Pac and Bill- I understand your thinking on tearing down all these older buildings with no apparent use. I understand clearing the land for potential new development. One thing that is hard to explain here.

I won't speak for the other "long timers" like Mike or Spider, but as an older long time resident, who was born here, I have a hard time seeing these things go because they represent a better time for me here in town. They are "monuments" of a better time when the town was run correctly. When I drive down Central and glance over at Roosevelt (always was Jr. High to me), I remember good times. Same goes for The Jug, the downtown area (or what's left of it), old Middletown High (Vail now) the Middletown Shopping Center, going past the boyhood neighborhood on Grand around Kensington and Dorset, etc. Seeing these buildings/areas takes me back and (as corny as this sounds), puts a little smile on my face providing a little comfort...something that doesn't happen anymore for me. I realize this doesn't do the town any good, but it sure helps me seeing those when I'm a tad bit depressed. Yep, I admit to "living in the past" at times. That is where the comfort is, if only for a brief moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic