Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Monday, May 13, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Councilman's Robo-Call Alerts 'Folks of Middletown
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Councilman's Robo-Call Alerts 'Folks of Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 10:05am
Tried to create a new topic, however it was "not allowed"--so.....

THE ISSUE

was really a non-issue, and more typical Council theatrics than substance.
Councilman Laubaugh was presenting the far right approach represented by our governor-elect Kasich--Councilman Smith was representing the organized labor reaction to the message.
The rest of Council was un-willingly caught in the cross-fire.

This issue will be debated and addressed at a much higher level.
Also, this issue becomes moot when the deficits increase and the cupboards become empty.
Sooner(as opposed to later) aribiters are going to rule for zero pay increases, benefit contribution increases, and more municipal control of their own finances. In essence---everyone will lose.
Until financials stabilize, wages, manpower and services will all suffer unfortunately.
This is far beyond our local level--it is statewide, nation-wide and global.
If Mr.Laubaugh's petition was funded by anyone, that should be disclosed.
If Mr.Smith's "robo-calls" were funded at the cost mentioned, the source of that funding should also be disclosed.

Councilman Laubaugh simply brought this gorilla to the table for attention, since everyone responsible continues to ignore the situation.
No one is at fault or overly responsible--and no one will be spared.
Still--Mr.Laubaugh set himself up for the show, and Mr.Smith's co-ordinated response was far over the top.
Once again--our Mayor failed to control the situation.
Easy for me to say--he was put into a very difficult position(though it comes with the job).

So--nothing has changed--nothing was accomplished.
The same issues exist, with little discussion on up-coming direction.
Hopefully labor and management can come up with a plan to make things work more cost-effectively.
The pie plate will be empty--few crumbs to share with anyone.
The fed funny money will be another huge weight on the system, dragging down govt.investment in progressive and constructive direction. The spending spree is over, and the long, painful process of paying the piper will begin. It ain't going to be pretty for anyone.

Most disappointing is our Council's/Admin's refusal to deal with the financial issues.
They keep spending like they will have a good income stream in the next few years.
I don't see it.
State and national fundings are going to be cut drastically, as mandated in the last election.
Schools, cities and govt.funded entities will feel the pain, and pass it on our way.

Maybe I am being far too pessimistic--I sincerely hope so.

Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
Happy Holidays
Have a great day
Have a great weekend
We will make it better somehow, as soon as we tear down the self-created barriers and finally join together in the band.

cya at Blue Christmas!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:19am
c'mon, he's just trying to share the news that the "people have spoken".  The fact  that the "people" are union thugs from out of town if irrelevant.  After all, this city is used to catering to out of town interests and not our own.  Unhappy

I'm still not sure why the rest of council is so intimidated by the thugs that they hastily drop the issue altogether.  Wimps.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:12am
Good question for a councilman that doesn't have a job as far as I know.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:01am
It would appear that looking on the net 10,000 calls goes for about $4-500.00, gee I wonder who picked up that tab for Robo-Smith.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:53am
From the Middletown Journal

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 2:20 AM Friday, December 10, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — Councilman A.J. Smith wanted to make sure residents knew City Council voted to table a resolution on collective bargaining as he sent out an automated phone call to 10,000 residents Wednesday.

The message rang out around 1 p.m., telling residents “the folks of Middletown have spoken, and we at City Council heard you. We have decided not to pursue the resolution presented to council that would put our city services and citizens at risk.”

Smith added that while he has been supporting the fire and police departments and public employees, council voted 6-1 to table the resolution urging the Ohio General Assembly to change laws regarding collective bargaining.

After using the robo-calling system during his campaign for City Council, Smith said he thought it was a good way to spread the message to the public.

Full Story At MiddletownJournal.com
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic