Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, April 23, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Councilman's Robo-Call Alerts 'Folks of Middletown
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Councilman's Robo-Call Alerts 'Folks of Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Councilman's Robo-Call Alerts 'Folks of Middletown
    Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:53am
From the Middletown Journal

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 2:20 AM Friday, December 10, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — Councilman A.J. Smith wanted to make sure residents knew City Council voted to table a resolution on collective bargaining as he sent out an automated phone call to 10,000 residents Wednesday.

The message rang out around 1 p.m., telling residents “the folks of Middletown have spoken, and we at City Council heard you. We have decided not to pursue the resolution presented to council that would put our city services and citizens at risk.”

Smith added that while he has been supporting the fire and police departments and public employees, council voted 6-1 to table the resolution urging the Ohio General Assembly to change laws regarding collective bargaining.

After using the robo-calling system during his campaign for City Council, Smith said he thought it was a good way to spread the message to the public.

Full Story At MiddletownJournal.com
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:01am
It would appear that looking on the net 10,000 calls goes for about $4-500.00, gee I wonder who picked up that tab for Robo-Smith.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:12am
Good question for a councilman that doesn't have a job as far as I know.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:19am
c'mon, he's just trying to share the news that the "people have spoken".  The fact  that the "people" are union thugs from out of town if irrelevant.  After all, this city is used to catering to out of town interests and not our own.  Unhappy

I'm still not sure why the rest of council is so intimidated by the thugs that they hastily drop the issue altogether.  Wimps.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 10:05am
Tried to create a new topic, however it was "not allowed"--so.....

THE ISSUE

was really a non-issue, and more typical Council theatrics than substance.
Councilman Laubaugh was presenting the far right approach represented by our governor-elect Kasich--Councilman Smith was representing the organized labor reaction to the message.
The rest of Council was un-willingly caught in the cross-fire.

This issue will be debated and addressed at a much higher level.
Also, this issue becomes moot when the deficits increase and the cupboards become empty.
Sooner(as opposed to later) aribiters are going to rule for zero pay increases, benefit contribution increases, and more municipal control of their own finances. In essence---everyone will lose.
Until financials stabilize, wages, manpower and services will all suffer unfortunately.
This is far beyond our local level--it is statewide, nation-wide and global.
If Mr.Laubaugh's petition was funded by anyone, that should be disclosed.
If Mr.Smith's "robo-calls" were funded at the cost mentioned, the source of that funding should also be disclosed.

Councilman Laubaugh simply brought this gorilla to the table for attention, since everyone responsible continues to ignore the situation.
No one is at fault or overly responsible--and no one will be spared.
Still--Mr.Laubaugh set himself up for the show, and Mr.Smith's co-ordinated response was far over the top.
Once again--our Mayor failed to control the situation.
Easy for me to say--he was put into a very difficult position(though it comes with the job).

So--nothing has changed--nothing was accomplished.
The same issues exist, with little discussion on up-coming direction.
Hopefully labor and management can come up with a plan to make things work more cost-effectively.
The pie plate will be empty--few crumbs to share with anyone.
The fed funny money will be another huge weight on the system, dragging down govt.investment in progressive and constructive direction. The spending spree is over, and the long, painful process of paying the piper will begin. It ain't going to be pretty for anyone.

Most disappointing is our Council's/Admin's refusal to deal with the financial issues.
They keep spending like they will have a good income stream in the next few years.
I don't see it.
State and national fundings are going to be cut drastically, as mandated in the last election.
Schools, cities and govt.funded entities will feel the pain, and pass it on our way.

Maybe I am being far too pessimistic--I sincerely hope so.

Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
Happy Holidays
Have a great day
Have a great weekend
We will make it better somehow, as soon as we tear down the self-created barriers and finally join together in the band.

cya at Blue Christmas!
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 11:04am
I agree with the above post, with one exception. AJ Smith using this mechanism, was demontsrating he had moved away from a position of interest of the people who elected him, to the union. You just cannot tell me, with the last election on spending, the pork in the job creation bill, that creted no jobs, but protected the union workers, including teachersand the union construction and auto industry, Smith was simply expressing the will of the city of Middletown?

Sorry, don't but it. This action is over the top, pandering to the union, and from what I have read, a clear attempt to set himself up for a job. About as subtle as standing out by the interstate with a sign that says, "WILL WORK FOR FORRD." In Smith's case, it was "Will Support the Union For A Fire Job." I find it really unreal.

Sorry, just can't let this action go as "no harm, no foul." Lambuagh wasn't saying the process needed to change, that he wanted a freeze for 10 years on worker's wages, he said that he supported a motion that the city council send word to the state that there needed to be a little more freedom in municipalities to make cuts. Unfair to charcaterize Lambuagh's motion with Smith's pandering actions.

Look what happened in Britain with the raise in tuition from $5000 annually to $14000? Amazing Charles didn't have his head cut off. You have no idea those with entitlement will go, to protect their entitlement. And with the robocaller, all Smith was doing was saying, get ready residents, we'll raise taxes if needed to keep these unions friends fat and fed. So much for starving the beast.

I think the guy should be petitioned to be removed, a real self ecntered jerk in my opinion, more interested in the union than the residents. After Laura Williams left, I thought the clowning would end. Smith sure made Middletown look like a Bozo to surrounding communities.  
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 11:37am
Final note- I too, was not too keen on the removal of the ward system as it was trumped to give the city the power to dictate who they wanted in council to push theor agenda, not residents. But after Smith's actions, with no tact, no subtlety, man, am I glad this clown hasn't a chance of being re-elected. Self promotion has no place in a public position.   
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 11:40am

I would love to know who payed for the robo calls that was made.Him without a job makes a person go hmmmmm.He reminds me of Laura Williams,just talks making no sense whatso ever.A.J. do us all a favor and resign.If you do please feel free in taking a few with you.Big%20smile

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 12:50pm
Letter to A.J. Smith:
Dear A.J.,

Your antics at last Tuesday nights council meeting were childish. Your applauding and facial distortions  while union speakers were threatening and bellowing looked preposterous in the light of your associates (other council members) dignified manner. You shamed the city of Middletown!

You were a total embarassment to council, the ward you represent and the citizens of Middletown who you are supposed to represent and didn't. You blatantly represented the unions who were discussing their interests instead of the real issue at hand. You ignored the real issue that you were supposed to be dealing with  -  How is the city  going to pay for police and fire protection in the future? Your avoiding the issue was as obvious as your lack of knowledge (ignorance ) of the issue. Since taking a place on council you have demonstrated by your continuous unrelated questions on issues that you aren't doing your homework. The whole city has continuously commented about it and so have your fellow council people.

Your condescending and insulting comments to Josh Laubach were totally out of line. For you to say that his resolution was a subversive tactic is sinking to an all-time level of low. How disrespectful! 

Then you had the utter audacity to initiate your robo call that said, "The people have spoken". That was just plain stupidity. The people hadn't spoken, council hadn't even spoken. You weren't paying atention as usual. What happened was council pulled the  resolution.

You should resign immediately and allow the second ward to replace you with someone who will make them proud in this last time of ward representation. There is not much time left and things still need to be done in the second ward before the system is changed. 

Paul Nagy

Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 1:02pm
Ibid.   
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 1:14pm
Well said Paul!!!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 1:15pm
I've been calling out this clown since he was elected, much to the chagrin of many on this board.  I'll take your apologies now.  LOL
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 1:27pm
Hmmm....I don't recall many defenders of AJ Smith, with the exception of Ms. Scott Jones. Was't he the guy that had that remarkable 3.78 GPA with a free ride to EKU that ended up bypassing it to become Chief of Staff for Obama? My fondest memory of him was leading the students on the march down to the super's office. What a rebel WITH a CAUSE young Smith has tuned out to be His cuase is clear. Its the AJ Smith cause.

Womder if he used campaign funds to pay for the robocall, or if Steve Hightower floated him the cash?

Just when we thought it was safe to go outside after Schiavone decided he'd get trounced in his election bid, we have his clone. AJ, get lost, wrap it up, shut it up.      
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 1:44pm
Did anyone else actually see a Saul Alinsky tee-shirt on several union members?  I had a few poeple call me this is a Sal tactic- use miscommunication to solidify your position. "The people of Middletown have spoken."  Dead
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 1:51pm
Bill,
     I apologize.LOL
     Paul Nagy
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 2:08pm
Bill, I'll be second in line to admit I was wrong in my support for Mr. Smith. My apologies also. He sure had me fooled into thinking he was one of the good guys. Completely misjudged his character. Will no longer support the man.

On the other side of the fence, I have also said that I was no longer a supporter for Josh Laubach. I'll also apologize for that mis-step and say that he is the only one that I would want to see return, and build a new council with him as an anchor. Anita would be another if she had used her "feistiness" she is known for on Tuesday to protect the city from eventually being financially ruined and supported Laubach. How about Mayor Laubach? Might be too soon for that, but seriously, can he be any more ineffective than our current mayor? Mayor Mulligan doesn't have a strong enough personality to take charge in situations like we had on Tuesday. Too complacent and too easily run over by stronger influences imo. We need a General Patton type to run the ship, not a "gentle as a lamb" type.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 2:17pm
You should resign immediately and allow the second ward to replace you with someone who will make them proud in this last time of ward representation. There is not much time left and things still need to be done in the second ward before the system is changed.

Paul Nagy

Good point....talking about his second ward representation, I wonder what the people of the second ward think of his antics? Are they as in tune and as observant as we seem to be as to his motives? How 'bout it second warders. Is AJ still well-liked in your area of town or are you folks ready to make a change?
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 2:29pm
Give Smith a break. Young kid just doing exactly what Maslow reasoned in hierarchy of needs. The school system is filled with the union, so is AK, Smith does speak for Middletown, because Middletown is a union town. City is a union. MUM has a union, Professors have a union called tenure. So the young kid is right. 

If he doesn't look out for himself and set himself up for a job, who will? He's not the first. There's Judge Powers, Treasurer Nix, restaurant owner Schiavone, Warren Cty Emergency Director Becker. They all do it. Use the job for their gain. Wasn't Sonny a union guy? And JC Shew, endorsed by John Sawyer, and who got hammered by Tim Reynolds with 72% vote. Middletown is a union city, so the kid got it right.   

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 2:36pm
What a clown you are AJ you showed what your true agenda is.Why don't you come on these forums and defend your pathetic self maybe you can get some one to write you a hit piece on all of us.Wonder how he would like 10,000 robo calls? 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 3:10pm
AJ Smith has accomplished much in his young tenure on city coucil (and his only job).

1) He has justified the need to get rid of the ward system! Right on, bravo, fantastic, now smart people run the show.

2) He has convinced me and others, its time to drop the local line line, and just use my cell number, so I don't get a phony "the people have spoken" robo-call!
Thanks AJ, you just saved me what I figured was $650.00 annually in my land-line phone. BUT, probably added a few $ Million to the city deficit. Maybe they can drawl down the General Fund to 0% reserve to pay for fire and police. What a swell guy this AJ Smith is.

Or maybe the city will just fire about 50 workers, just like Cincinnati is doing.    
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 3:12pm
Spider- "the rest of council was unwillingly caught in the cross-fire?...Nevertheless,imo, they approached the situation poorly by "hiding under the desk" and cowering down when the union mouths were "talking rough to them".

"once again-YOUR mayor failed to control the situation"- a continuation of many problems with this council.

"easy for me to say, he was put into a very difficult position (though it comes with the job)- yes it does and if he doesn't have a "kick-a--" personality that would have allowed him to take charge, he became a part of the problem, rather than the solution.

"so nothing was changed- nothing was accomplished"- but it could have been if 6 of the council members would have forced the issue instead of sitting on their hands, afraid of becoming "argumentative" and opposing the union boys by sending it right to Columbus.

"Hopefully labor and management can come up with a plan to make things work more cost-effectively"- It will probably stay as is--ie. the unions acting like money is free and flowing in the city coffers and the city putting up a token attempt to stem the flow of demands that the raises, benefits packages and all the union perks be maintained with business as usual, eventually breaking the bank. The city just needs to say no at the bargaining table. Better yet, HELL NO.

"Schools, cities and govt. funded entities will feel the pain, and pass it on our way"- Even more reason to vote against the safety levies, school levies and every other money demanding scheme to get in our wallet. As you have said many times.....STARVE THE BEAST (into submission)- bring 'em to their knees- make them learn a hard lesson about frivilous spending in poor economic times-make them stand up to union demands by telling them no for once.

"Ain't gonna be pretty"- (but it might straighten their attitudes out.)
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 3:23pm
AhhhVet, dear man. Simply write the state, Kasisch, Boehner, Reynolds, wwhom you may chose, including your Dem favorite. This was nothing but a letter of TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, WE NEED TO MAKE CUTS AND HAVE THE FREEDOM TO DO SO.

Nothing more, nothing less. Lambaugh took his beating. A levy will not be passed, the ,25% will be rolled back, and the union spokesmen, Mr. Smith, will be working on Obama's next losing attempt to get re-elected.

Unless it harms the city employees, Larry Mulligan is never going to go against the grain. And why should he. This was nothing but a Dear Abby letter to the State, saying, we need to be able to make cuts. General Patton was elected. He comes in the form of John Kasisch. Trust me. Patton has been reincarinated.  
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:33pm
Get out of the way AJ Smith, there is a fire strom coming, and you might be run over. Here's the solution to the problem you are trying to avoid rectifying. But, we understand, you want to be the National Union Chief of Professional Fire Fighters.

Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:06pm
My God, how many RHINO'S sit there on city council? Would have been a joy to have had Patton as a guest speaker addressing them. Have a feeling here's what he would have said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZJcAeJ8YRo&feature=.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:08pm
Guests says "General Patton was elected. He comes in the form of John Kasisch. Trust me. Patton has been reincarinated."--Excellent, and I wasn't necessarily a Kasich fan. Will be if he starts fixing some of the loose pocket spending done in this state and does something about the out-of-control double dipping public employees/office holders, public union demands draining city accounts, and does something about the lousy school system we have had for 30+ years.
Did the city have to contact Columbus to start making the cuts it needs to remain solvent? Couldn't we have done that ourselves (assuming council had the spine to start the process, which, apparently, they don't with the exception of one). Council- afraid to start telling Gilleland and other city hall nimrods the way it is, afraid to tell the public unions the way it is, afraid to tell the powerbrokers in Middletown that the game is over for them and the emphasis is now on serving the public by delivering what they want for their city. Wishful thinking.

"Larry Mulligan is never going to go against the grain. And why should he."- Well, it's called pride. It's called "I'm not going to be a doormat for anyone" It's called standing up and having principals and doing the right thing by the people. It's called taking the moral high ground instead of being associated with the scumbags that have overwhelmed the leadership roles. It's called BEING A MAN and being able to look at yourself in the mirror and like what you see. Can any of these clowns honestly do that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic