FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"I Am the Law"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "I Am the Law"
    Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 12:41pm

When I saw the headline I knew who it was.....

Councilman caught in brouhaha over beers

MIDDLETOWN — A misunderstanding regarding a city councilman and an unpaid bar tab led police to be called to the Applebee’s on Towne Boulevard Wednesday night.

According to Middletown police, the dispute happened around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday after Second Ward Councilman A.J. Smith allegedly left the restaurant without paying for a beer he ordered.

When confronted by his server in the parking lot about the bill, the woman told police Smith cursed at her. She then told the first-term councilman she would call the law, to which he answered, “I am the law,” before speeding out of the parking lot in his car, according to the police report.

Smith, 21, said he went to Applebee’s with Economic Development Director Mike Robinette following an Airport Commission meeting. Smith said while at the restaurant, Robinette opened a bar tab and purchased him a beer. He said he also believed the second beer he ordered was going to be covered by Robinette’s tab as well.

After a confrontation with a female acquaintance inside the restaurant, Smith said he was asked to move or leave Applebee’s. It was while Smith was heading to the parking lot that he was accused of stealing the beer.

Smith admitted to cursing at the waitress, but denied claiming he “was the law.” In fact, Smith said he encouraged the waitress to call the police if she wanted.

“I am certainly not going to steal a drink that is $2.50,” Smith said. “I certainly didn’t make any threats to anybody.”

Restaurant employees told police Robinette had instructed the server not to place Smith’s second beer on his tab. However, when he learned Smith had neglected to pay for it, he did settle the bill.

Robinette said he did instruct the server not to place the beer on his tab, but said Smith may have been confused.

“I don’t think he heard what I told her,” Robinette said. “After he left, I was still there finishing my drink and the server asked if I was going to pay for that beer she didn’t put on my tab, so I paid for it.”

No criminal charges were filed in the case.

This is the second time Smith has been involved in a spat that resulted in police being called. On July 14, Smith was involved in an altercation with three other women. In that case, Smith requested all parties be charged with disorderly conduct; however, those charges were dropped in August 2010 prior to a trial.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 12:59pm
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:08pm
I can help you out, which one you need removed. I also made your youtube video viewable here
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:09pm
This article is just too funny, I am not sure what to say. I may need to give Aj a call get his side myself.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:16pm
Thanks Randy,You can delete the non youtube post if you want.LOL
midres View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 2:51pm
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!  What is with this character.  First, it's apparent that his being a councilperson has gone to his head!  He must feel that he is above the law.  To make a statement the he "is the law" illustrates gross imaturity and a disrespect for others.  Also, note that this is another incidence in public where he is involved in a confrontation with a female.  I am a Third Ward resident but would hope that his constituents in his ward are all over him.  He sure wouldn't be my rep to council!!!  This behavior is disgusting!!
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 4:20pm
LOL!

Nuff said.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Grandmother Calhoun View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandmother Calhoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 4:59pm
mr. smith was framed by city administration, middletown p.d, the middletown journal and Mr. Robinette because he called them out in the last meeting.

What a shame, what a shame........
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 5:35pm

And so the conspiracies begin, well at least you didn’t say it was because he is black. I wonder if that “tab” there were running at Applebees will turned in as a business expense and paid for by the tax payers??

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 6:15pm
Some observations concerning this dastardly deed in public.

1. Perhaps AJ has a problem handling his alcohol. Article says that he had one beer and walked out on beer #2. One beer and he's hard to get along with? Intolerance to any alcohol at all perhaps?

2. At what time does the Airport meeting usually end? Does it end within the confines of a business day for Robinette or is this an "after working hours" meeting. I wouldn't want to see one of our esteemed city officials boozing it up on city time. I wouldn't want to see Mr. Robinette in a compromising position. He's one of my favorites.

3. Story seems to be one-sided and reported from the information from the restaurant and heresay from the server on what Smith said. Perhaps before reporting this, the Journal writer could have followed up with Smith's side of the story and made the comparison. Did we have any witnesses that Smith said he was the law or did the reporter assume he said it?

4. Mr. Smith, right or wrong, is digging himself a nice little hole to dig out of as to any future in politics around this area. It may already be too late, but if he intends to make politics any part of his future plans, he needs to stay on the path and out of the negative limelight. This is strike two. We all know what happens with strike three. You should too AJ.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 6:59pm

Hey Robinette, isn't keeping your cushy city job worth two beers, not just one??  LOL

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Hey Robinette, isn't keeping your cushy city job worth two beers, not just one??  LOL

Hes a tightwad for sure LOL
stewieboy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 10:50pm
This guy is a joke. Just so immature. Even if he didn't mutter those words, his behavior just shows he has lots of growing up to do.
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 11:42pm
The only thing funnier would be to here AJ tell a couple of Middletown's finest that "I am the jail" in response to them telling him that he is going to jail.
Chief Whatdahey View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Whatdahey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 12:42am
Mr Smith is proving to be a real douchebag... and a bully. Seems to have a lot of trouble with ladies either fighting with or over him and getting him to trouble with the real "law." Save yourself some trouble Mr Smith and resign and save yourself some embarassment. Maybe you can go get a job with your hero, Comrade Obama.
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 4:13am
Maybe AJ was just in a rush to leave Appleby's to get over to Take-a-Break so he could protect his sister during "Girls Gone Wild?"
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 7:18am
Nice comment Guest!!! Clap
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 7:29am

I have had many one-on-one dinners with AJ Smith over the last 3 years. Usually in a bar or local restaurant.

1. He never follows any of my thinking or advice.

2. I have never seen him drink alcohol at any time. I didn't think that he drank at all, and remember him   saying that he didn't drink. None of our dinners or meetings have ever included alcohol, other than "No-thank you" to the server. I have never seen him drinking or intoxicated.  

3. I have never seen or heard him disrespect any waitress or server at any time.

4. IMO 2 beers would be enough to have him buzzed, and who can tell what might happen when a non-drinker gets slightly loaded.

5. No issue whatsoever with buying anyone a drink with the proper intentions. Council and Admin should probably run separate tabs, with no chance of taxpayers picking up their bar tabs. Has this been going on?
With AJ's direction towards admin, why would he and Mr.R be drinking together late at night? Why didn't AJ simply pay the small tab(he is very tight!)?

6. I thought that Les was "the law"?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 7:46am

I am curious on why was he asked to leave or move - what was the other issue. 

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 9:38am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I have had many one-on-one dinners with AJ Smith over the last 3 years. Usually in a bar or local restaurant.

For much of that time, AJ was under 21 and would have been drinking illegally if he had anything to drink.

Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

1. He never follows any of my thinking or advice.

Maybe AJ is smarter than we thought.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 9:57am
Trust me I have a long history with AJ. He is a man child that listens to no one. He thinks he has akk the answers. This City has been going through tough times and at times show signs of maybe getting better. With that being said AJ needs to go away, just resign. But in true AJ style he won't. His sole purpose in life is to see his name  in print and be the center of attention. God help us all if he keeps hanging around. Unhappy
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

I am curious on why was he asked to leave or move - what was the other issue. 

That is a great question Bobbie, according to the journal report,

"After a confrontation with a female acquaintance inside the restaurant, Smith said he was asked to move or leave Applebee’s. It was while Smith was heading to the parking lot that he was accused of stealing the beer."

What was this "other" confrontation? Why is it not being talked about, why did the Journal not report it? Looks like selective journalism to me.  

midres View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 10:47am
I agree with most here except Viet Vet who really needs to get a life.  He is being quite petty.
That being said, AJ really has a lot of gall criticizing City Admin.  When he, apparently, doesn't know how to conduct his own life, does he really expect anyone to listen to him when he criticizes the way City Admin. condusts City business???  He is an absolute joke and should resign to stop his continually being an embarassment to our city.  Our City admin may not always get it right, but AJ is the last one who should ever open his big mouth about them.  Stay away from the ladies, too, AJ!!!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by midres midres wrote:

I agree with most here except Viet Vet who really needs to get a life.  He is being quite petty.
That being said, AJ really has a lot of gall criticizing City Admin.  When he, apparently, doesn't know how to conduct his own life, does he really expect anyone to listen to him when he criticizes the way City Admin. condusts City business???  He is an absolute joke and should resign to stop his continually being an embarassment to our city.  Our City admin may not always get it right, but AJ is the last one who should ever open his big mouth about them.  Stay away from the ladies, too, AJ!!!
But he is the law! LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 11:48am
[QUOTE=midres] I agree with most here except Viet Vet who really needs to get a life.  He is being quite petty.

Thank you Dr. Phil. So nice to hear from you on your opinion of my lack of a life. Amazing since I don't know you and you know little about me to make that evaluation. Mental telepathy on your part I presume. I'd like to meet with you and you can explain to me how to get the life you think I lack. I notice in your post that you seem to lean toward making excuses for the city leaders we currently have by stating Smith 's criticism about the "way the city admin. conducts city business", as you state. Would take a very gullible person to make that statement, given the cluster this group has made of our city. I'm anxious to hear more from you, oh guru of life's requirements. Mercy!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic