FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monroe Schools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 12:27am

"We could use some help with people not spreading false rumors (like the one about the gun incidents that never occurred). If you or anyone hears about something, please call the school or a board member to find out what really happened or is going on before you start talking about it as the truth"

If people call the school and or the board will they be told the truth ? Had the truth been told and been reported via the media in some way THERE WOULD BE NO FRIGGIN RUMORS !!! And it's a little late for damage control because Ms. Andrew admitted a threat was made at the school thus the call for extra security and a police presence per her posting on this very forum,but now all of a sudden it's a rumor ?!! Gees,now we know what is wrong with the schools.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 6:43am
Ms Andrew states...."Vet, you imply that the elimination of corporal punishment was a choice by the school district. It was not. The courts have decided that it is illegal. I have posted that information several times here and you keep bringing it up. Suggesting remedies that are illegal and therefore unavailable is simply not helpful".

My original statement was....

"Perhaps you could tell us why the district didn't develop an alternative program (after being intimidated through the legal system by parents of the thugs and removing corporal punishment) to combat the behavior of the new type of "rogue" student the schools must try to educate nowadays".

Perhaps taking a page out of the military methods of motivation of proper behavior would work for a district that has so many behavioral issues. Ever think about contacting the military element for some suggestions? Not necessarily corporal punishment and certainly a "no touch" method to motivate, but amazingly has everyone on the same page and functioning under rules and guidelines.

I asked if the schools developed an alternate program to combat the behavior of the "rogue" student and mentioning the removal of corporal punishment, making it clear that I was aware that corporal punishment was bannished. Ms. Andrew, is it not true that at least part of reason why the schools dissolved corporal punishment is because of the potential lawsuits from parents who didn't want the schools touching their little angels, as well as the courts deeming it illegal?
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 6:47am
Ms. Andrews--In reply to the libraries:

First of all, Middletown City Schools is NOT John XXIII.  That is like comparing apples to oranges.  Just because something works or worked there does not mean it will work at MCSD.

Beside the background check, won't those volunteers who are in Title 1 buildings need to be "highly qualified" by the Ohio Department of Education in order to work directly with students?  I called the ODE and the answer is yes.  With No Child Left Behind this became mandatory several years back.  I believe that will include most buildings, right?  They specifically quoted the following:

"According to NCLB guidelines, an instructional paraprofessional provides one-on-one tutoring; assisting with classroom management, provides computer assistance, provides support in the library or media center; or provides instructional services under the direct supervision of a teacher is considered an instructional paraprofessional and must meet the requirements required. Those qualifications include either two years of higher education or a state assessment (Parapro Assessment).  Praxis test given 4 times a year.

This is required if the district is receiving Title 1 Funds.  If not done the school district is in violation of state law.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Middletown scouter,

As a school board member, I do not micromanage the process of covering the functions of the library managers. I can tell you that you are correct, the plan is to handle this with volunteers. Each building may have a different approach. All volunteers with the potential to have one to one contact with kids must pass a criminal background check. It will not be easy but it is do-able. John 23 has had an all-volunteer library for years.

You are also correct about the difficulty of the task we face. Everyone wants us to reduce our expenses, but the minute we suggest cutting a position, someone wants to say, no not them!

Thank you for the response. I am somewhat confused though. I realize that the school board doesn't micromanage all jobs in the district, but if you are voting on whether or not to approve a change that include eliminating a paid position, wouldn't you want to understand the process behind why that position can be eliminated and how those job duties will be handled effectively going forward? Also, wouldn't the process for ensuring that volunteers managing the library are selected and trained properly be best handled by central administration rather than the individual buildings? You posted earlier about the need to standardize curriculum amongst all the same grade level classrooms around the district to ensure that they are teaching the same things at the same time, why would administration of our school libraries and the tens of thousands of dollars in inventory (or more) not be something that should also be standardized?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 11:34am
Middl

DAYTON — The number of tuition vouchers parents could use to move their children from chronically low-performing public schools to private schools would quadruple under Gov. John Kasich’s proposed budget.

The state is approaching the mandated 14,000 cap on vouchers, with 13,062 students already enrolled in the program this school year. The number of publicly funded vouchers would expand to 30,000 next year and 60,000 students by 2013 under the governor’s plan.

There are 110 students in Middletown City Schools who use private school vouchers to opt out of attending public schools designated as “academic watch” or “academic emergency” for two of the past three years. Of those 110 students, 61 are using the scholarship for the first year and 49 are considered renewals.

Four Butler County schools are designated for the EdChoice scholarship program, all of them in Middletown. Those schools are Amanda, Creekview and Rosa Parks elementary schools and Verity Middle School.

Five private schools in Butler County are registered to participate in the program. There are two such schools in Middletown — John XXIII, a Catholic elementary school serving preschool through eighth grade, and Middletown Christian Schools, a ministry of Grace Baptist Church serving preschool through high school.

State lawmakers have spent recent weeks hearing testimony on two separate bills that would expand the program in Ohio, including the governor’s budget proposal that would raise the number to 60,000 available vouchers by 2013.

House Bill 136, introduced in March, would create two new statewide voucher programs — one for K-12 students that would replace the EdChoice and Cleveland scholarship programs, and another for special education students.

“We’re not opposed to choice, but we do believe private schools should not be paid for with public money,” said Damon Asbury, director of legislative services for the Ohio School Boards Association in Columbus. “We believe the focus of the General Assembly’s attention should be on children in the public school system of Ohio,” Asbury said.

But Chad Aldis, executive director of School Choice Ohio, disagrees.

“The dollars we spend on education are to educate the kids,” he said. “Our position is the money should follow the child to where the parents believe they can get the best education.”

Staff Writer Eric Schwartzberg contributed to this report.

Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 1:46pm
Tony B, the school district has no present plans for those properties, due to state of the real estate market. If you want to make an offer, contact Milt Thompson, business manager.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 1:53pm
Vet, thanks for the suggestion, but we will not be turning the public schools into a military academy anytime soon. A couple reasons why what works for the military is not appropriate for MCSD:

1. The military deals with adults; MCSD deals with 5 - 18 year olds.

2. The military is molding soldiers to follow orders quickly and without hesitation or question, to prepare them for battle.  The schools are teaching children to learn a base of fundamental knowledge and also how to reason and analyze, to prepare them for college and/or the work force.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 1:58pm
JSmith, since you are so knowledgeable about public school libraries, maybe you should volunteer to help the district devise a  plan for managing the school libraries with volunteers. Or, if federal law does in fact require college education to help a child pick a book, the classroom teachers could supervise their own students while they are in the library.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 2:02pm
Ms Andrew, thank you for the info; I have no interest in the properties other than curiousity about future plans by the School Board.  Unless, of course, you're willing to part with them for a dollar!!! lol
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 2:09pm
Middletown scouter,

The school board hires, evaluates and fires the Superintendent, and the Treasurer, and sets policy goals and direction for the district. Implementation of policy and operation of the district is the responsibility of the Superintendent and the Treasurer and the employees they hire. 

We gave the Superintendent direction to balance the budget without a new levy. He engaged in the extensive budget process I have previously described, and brought back to us a recommendation to cut over $5 million, with a broad outline of how those savings would be achieved. We approved his plan.  Specific positions to be RIF'd came back to us for a vote. As to library managers, the general answer was the district planned to manage the libraries with volunteers and potentially high school business students. We approved the RIFs and left it to the Superintendent and his staff to work out the details. He wants to include others in the decision as to how specifically it will work, including principals.  It may or may not be handled the same in all buildings.  Some may have a stronger volunteer base to help than others.  I take your point about uniformity, but this is not really the same as fourth grade math, is it? there is not a state standard curriculum for library, nor is there a state test.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 2:20pm
You bet, Ms. Andrew, you wouldn't want to make the Midd. schools into military academies which are role models for behavior/discipline/academics/character building, organization/ living by rules and following directions, now would you? All that discipline and rule following would be a bad thing for the Midd. students to learn, now wouldn't it? C'mon Ms. Andrew....you know as well as I do that most of your chronic and more serious discipline issues occur in the older student populations. Obviously you can't come down on a 3rd grader as hard as you would a junior or senior in high school. Gotta use logic here. The military methods would obviously be too harsh for the younger students, but would apply to the high school problem students in the 17 to 18 age range. They are, after all, closer to military eligibility age, aren't they? They're not angels to be protected and to be cottled are they?

2. Thank you for reminding me what the military was all about. Never knew what occured in the military. Guess you did with your extensive background going through basic and all.    Following orders quickly and without hestitation can occur on the job and in civilian life also, Ms. Andrew. Doesn't always have to be a "battle" scenario to get people to know the rules and to follow orders. The schools are teaching the children to learn a "base fundamental knowledge" and "how to reason and analyze". True.....they better also be telling them what to expect about proper behavior in the workplace and in society along with their parents. Can't just pour book knowledge into them. Gotta teach them the other side of the coin as to proper conduct to succeed in life also. Mold the total person, Ms. Andrew, mold the total person.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 2:45pm
Vet, MCSD sadly, is NOT Phillips Academy Andover, where I attended. My father didn't mind his all male education at Wabash. Take note: EdChoice had only schools in Middletown in the entire Butler Cty, participating in the voucher program. I'd definately recommend John XXIII, maybe not quite as strong as when Sister Namcy was there, but still a good prep. Ohio school systems don't focus upon the individual, they focus upon the school rating. Any teacher in the system will openly tell you the number 1 priority is elevating the annual scorecard, the grades, the person as a whole, not even a distant 3rd in prioritzation. With 4 times the vouchers by Kasisch, will that correlate to > 400 students leaving MCSD for JXXIII, others? Probably. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 6:55am
acclaro, if there was any school system that needed orderly structure, hard-nosed discipline and a crack down on behavior, it's the Middletown schools, IMO. Because of the sterotypical element that we got when council decided to open the floodgates to low income, Section 8, inundating this town and overwhelming the schools by literally dumping major behavioral issues on the schools, it is an even greater urgency that the schools do anything and everything within the current guidelines, to control the disruptors. The lack of control in the schools by the authorities has festered for too many years and we see the students reacting to the current rules as a joke. There is absolutely no intimidation in the current program whatsoever. In-school suspensions, expulsions, parent/student meetings and counseling.....all proven to be worthless and in-effective or the same behavior would not have continued. It should be somewhere between no nonsense/serious and hell. Instead,it's like candyland.

Time to get tough while listening to the parents of the troublemakers whine and cry about how their little angels are being treated. Too bad people. Time to start using the law hauling parents into court, slapping some wallet-hurting fines on the parents, jailing them and taking the kid down to jail for some "tough love" exercises. Time to get military on these people with no forgiveness. Time to start intimidating the problem children again and reverse the current "it's a joke, what do they think they can do to me" attitude. How did we get to the place where the children are intimidating the adults? What in the he-- happened?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 7:16pm
Ms. Andrews- Cold day out there, came home to veggy soup and got warmed up by your post. Don't worry, love my wife but your interest in this site is quite fascinating to me.  Stay the course, leaders are hard to find these days.
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 2:51pm
Ms. Andrews I never pretended to be "knowledgeable" about public school libraries. All I did was visit an elementary school library in our school district and then make a call to the Ohio Department of Education when I found out that the current library managers were required to have an Aide Certificate from the State that includes a background check and be rated highly qualified by taking a state mandated test.

You "do not have to have a college degree" to check out a book. You DO have to be highly qualified AND under the supervision of a certified staff member (as is currently done in the school district) to interact with students in the library setting. So, the idea to have classroom teachers supervise their students in the library is already required along with the state requirements.

Makes me wonder if the board made this decision without knowing all the facts. I asked the principal in the school I visited what will happen if they cannot find volunteers who fit the criteria that is required by the State of Ohio (because you can be sure parents are going to ask if these volunteers have fulfilled ALL the requirements) and I was told by the principal, "if it doesn't work out then the libraries will be closed".

Which leads me to another question....Several years ago I remember there was an issue about volunteers in the buildings needing to pass a background check BEFORE they were allowed to tutor or help in any capacity that involved interacting with students in the school district. Why wasn't that followed thru? I asked a volunteer who was in the building I visited if they had to do that and they laughed and said no and that they were in the building quite frequently but that had never been mentioned.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 6:27pm
JSmith,

I do not believe that the "highly qualified" requirements for employees are applicable to volunteers. If your point is that volunteers will not be as qualified as volunteers, I would have to agree, but also don't think that means they couldn't effectively staff the school libraries.  If your point is that because volunteers may not have the same qualifications as the former library managers, that they are prohibited from helping in the libraries, I don't think this is correct.

My understanding of the laws on background checks for volunteers is that they are required if the volunteer will be having one-on-one interaction with a student -- and MCSD does require these be done. We actually have some donors who have picked up the cost of the background checks for those volunteers who can't afford them.  One-on-one means a situation where an adult would be alone in a room with 1 child. "Interacting" with a child, for example by helping that child choose a book or check it out, while there are other children and/or adults in the same room, does not require a background check.

Criminal background checks are not required by law for other volunteers.  We want to encourage more adults to volunteer in the schools, not discourage them. If we required a criminal background check of every mom, dad or grandma who wants to help out in the schools or the PTOs, we would have many fewer volunteers.  However, in most situations there is oversight of volunteers by teachers or other adults, and common sense prevails.

I have tried to explain how the board made its decision, and why we don't always ask for the level of detail you are suggesting we should have asked for.  I and my fellow board members do the best we can, and recognize that not everyone will agree with everything we do (and, conversely, that no matter what we do, at least some people will disagree with it).  All I can say is, if you think that you can do a better job, run for the board this fall. Just get your flak jacket out.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 6:33pm
Ground swat, thank you for your post.  I have to say that a number of people have told me I am crazy to post on this blog under my real name.  I just feel that most people do not know the depth and complexity of the issues the schools face, and that if they knew more they might understand better. I'm not expecting to convert people to my point of view.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic