FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monroe Schools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monroe Schools
    Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 7:00pm

There is an article in the MJ about Monroe schools getting a lot of Open Enrollment interest from Middletown and Lakota parents. It then ends with:

"The district recently made $890,000 in budget cuts that includes eliminating four educational aides, three classroom positions by attrition, one assistant principal, two central office positions and not filling a vacant custodial position.

Athletic Director Dave Bauer agreed to take a salary decrease of 17 percent to $65,308 from $78,684 annually, said Broc Bidlack, Monroe Schools director of personnel and business affairs."

---------------------

Hmm, when's the last time we read about anyone in MCSD giving up ANYTHING!?   Cry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 8:37pm
I agree Bill. Middletown seems to have two doors to their district. One door marked out is for the school employees that we hear are retiring and occasionally read are leaving the district. It is located on the front of the building for all to see. There also seems to be another door, apparently located behind the building, out of sight and not publicized as much, that is for new hires to the district and for those who we are told are leaving but are really not leaving but have been provided a different job.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Alberico comes to mind with her position recently eliminated and the last I heard she was possibly being rehired in another position. This is the old peanut/shell carnival game of deception isn't it?

Could be wrong but I can't remember an announcement from the schools that anyone has taken a salary decrease like the AD did in Monroe. The schools are operated like the city. Fat, bloated salaries/bennies/ retirements eat up most of the budget money and, like the city, the people don't get much for their money. The schools performance is as pathetic as the city governments performance and we're paying top dollar for this crap. Frustrating.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:55pm
Vet - I asked someone I went to high school with about some of the issues you bring up here. He told me a few things and also told me that he relocated from the area because of the deteriorating quality of education. He said that the MCSD has the highest overhead adminstrative costs in the state. He also said that gross mismanagement is what caused Monroe to split off  into their own district and that it was the first time it had ever happened in the state of Ohio. He also was of the opinion that the death knell for Middletown was when Armco first moved it HQ out of town. You and he seem to bear each other out that the decline started in the mid 80's and has continued now for over 25 years.It also doesn't seem like much is changing over at the Board of Education.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 2:27pm
All Middletown City Schools employees, including administrators, have been on a pay freeze this year.  The contracts expire June 30th and are currently under negotiation. We have to negotiate despite SB5 because that bill won't take effect until after the referendum in November (if then).

MCSD is making over $5 million in reductions to its budget for next year. This includes closing school building and repurposing another to be a 6th grade center. It also includes RIFs. So far, about 30 administrators and support personnel have received RIF notices.  The administrative positions cut include 2 directors (Debbie Alberico, the district communications director, and Gary Canterbury, the technology director). Their positions will not be filled and they are not being re-hired in other positions. That is an empty rumor that has no basis in fact.  Both of these directors performed important jobs whose work still needs to be done, but it will be re-allocated to other central office employees, who will all have to do more. Other positions cut include a principal, at least 4 assistant principals, a number of secretaries and others that support the delivery of instruction.  These cuts will be felt, but we have tried to keep the impact on students as small as possible.

There is quite a bit of information about these budget issues on the district website and in the Journal and all our meetings are aired multiple times on TV Middletown.  I have no problem with people criticizing the schools but at least make an effort to inform yourself.

Tony B, you say it doesn't seem like much is changing.  Well, let's see...we have a new Superintendent, who has been with us for just a year. New CEO seems like change to me.  Last school year, 2 additional elementary schools moved up to a rating of Effective on the state report card, joining Miller Ridge, which was already Effective. So now, 3 out of 8 elementary schools are Effective.  Seems like change to me.  No one on the school board or the central office thinks that is good enough, but we have to start somewhere.  Other buildings moved up a rank as well.  The buildings that improved their score did not happen by chance. It is the result of an intense focus on improving the level of instruction and targeting the extra help that is provided to the many students who need it.  The teachers and other staff are working very hard and provide a good education to students who meet them half way with a little effort.

"he said that MCSD has the highest overhead administrative costs in the state" -- I believe this is false, but will consider any citation you can provide.  2 or 3 years ago we requested an audit of our personnel costs, including administrative, from the state of ohio. The results said that overall we were in line with other similar districts, although we had more of some positions and fewer of some others.  That is what local control is about. Each district decides what is right for their student population. There is no formula (x number of special ed teachers per 1000 students, y number of secretaries, etc) that is right for all communities.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 2:46pm
Ms Andrew - thank you for your post. I re-read the post from my friend and his statement was that admin overhead had consistently been among the highest in Ohio. He did not provide figures and since I had asked him for his impressions about the district, so I provisionally stand corrected about the "highest in the state' admin  overhead. As to changing; different faces doesn't necessarily mean change. I received my public education from the MCSD (1976, Monroe High) and while I'll admit that 3 out of 8 is better than 1 out of 8, by any stretch of the imagination or grading, that would still be an "F". I would hope that no one considered that "good enough". I for one have little faith in testing as a measure of quality education; yes, I know; it's the law. Education is much more than what you learn, it's developing the skills of how to learn so that you can apply those skills throughout your life. I certainly am not implying that I don't think teachers work hard or don't care.

Let me ask you then, why are other districts in the area outperforming ours? I would be interested in any insight you could provide and, in your opinion, what we can and should be doing  to improve the quality of education provided. I look forward to your reply.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 3:38pm
"Let me ask you then, why are other districts in the area outperforming ours? I would be interested in any insight you could provide and, in your opinion, what we can and should be doing to improve the quality of education provided. I look forward to your reply".

TonyB, you have just asked THE question that has been asked since the 70's through many different school boards, many different supers, many different school administrations and many different curriculum changes/ teaching methods. Most of us believe we have never received an answer that has really addressed the question. Rather, for years, with many different school people, we have received denial or the standard, canned answers that talked all around the subject, but never hit the target. Don't know if the school folks all these years really don't know the answers or if they are talking all around the subject to keep from indicting themselves with the truth about why this district has suffered through such a long stretch of poor performance.

All I know is that this school district is a shadow of it's former self in performance and reputation among the surrounding communities. Sad.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

...Let me ask you then, why are other districts in the area outperforming ours? I would be interested in any insight you could provide and, in your opinion, what we can and should be doing  to improve the quality of education provided. I look forward to your reply.
I think that we all know "why are other districts in the area outperforming ours".  What we disagree on is what can be done to improve the situation.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 4:52pm
Ture MP. My solution: vouchers giving parents a choice so property tax is applied to the privates, and then the public system becomes competitive. Of course, I know the other rationale its the "composition" of the student, which may be true to some extent.  
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 4:56pm
Acclaro, are you talking about a program like the Ohio EdChoice program, but rolling it out on a larger scale with less restrictions?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 9:37am

I'm sorry gentlemen, I don't understand why you would advocate taking tax dollars and giving them to people to pay private schools. I do not want to pay money to both a public school system and a private school support where my tax dollar goes into someones pocket as a profit!!! I have nothing against private schools; they are private because they support themselves. This is one of those "economy of scale" moments also, because public education is about trying to educate as many as possible with the resurces made available by the public. Taking resources out of the public system isn't the answer; it's doing our best to ensure the quality of public education.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 9:50am

oh no, here it comes.....

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 10:03am
Ms. Andrew states "The administrative positions cut include 2 directors (Debbie Alberico, the district communications director", .......

"Their positions will not be filled and they are not being re-hired in other positions. That is an empty rumor that has no basis in fact. Both of these directors performed important jobs whose work still needs to be done".......

I hope the school district is not done cutting. What about all the assist. principals, assist. to the assistants, etc. The schools are top heavy like the city building is, isn't it Ms. Andrew?

With all due respect Ms. Andrew........The fact of the matter is that in the case of Ms. Alberico, as "communications director (a fancy title to a school spokesperson on behalf of the superintendent), we taxpayers received very little from her services for her salary of $98,000 I believe) The fact is that she would be quoted on occasion, offer a quick blurb of what we already knew and retreat back into oblivion until the next standard line from the schools needed to be spoken. Her job could have easily been incorporated into another's job at half the cost. Why do school people want to embellish the importance of some of these positions when they could be incorporated into other jobs and not miss a beat? It's like the President having a spokesperson, drawing a high salary at the taxpayer's expense, fielding questions from the press. Why? Just eliminate the position and march any lying, full of bs politician out in back of the podium and start spewing the horsecrap they are trained to spew. It doesn't matter what they say. We don't believe them anyway. JMO
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 10:25am
Thanks for you well thought out post Marcia Andrew. I appreciate the clarification of issues. I feel really bad for Debbie and Gary, I know them both personally and they both did a fine job for Middletown Schools.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 12:19pm
Mr. Beagle, thanks for your post. I also feel bad for the 2 individuals who lost their jobs. I can't comment on the job they did and I don't know them but I don't like to see it and I hope they find success in their next ventures.

I would like some clarity of issues as well. I see the story about the audit and I applaud the attention to detail that this demonstrates. This is the kind of thing that builds trust with the public which I perceive as somewhat strained. Let me also state for you that I have no personal or professional interest in this. I have read numerous threads on this blog about citizen dissatisfaction and the perceived decline in the quality of education. I've always heard the phrase "the children are our future" since I was a child. The issue to me becomes are we providing the children in our school district the best education we can with the resources provided by the public.

As I pointed out above, while 3 of 8 is better, it would be even better to understand why the other 5 schools did not achieve. What did the 3 schools that succeed do that the other 5 did not? Why are children in neighboring districts achieving better results? It's quite true that the same solution doesn't work in all situations, the fact that others are succeeding while we are merely improving upon failure should give some pause. It was state above that we all know the answer as to why we're not succeeding. I don't or I wouldn't be asking. Ms Andrew, I'm making the effort to inform myself, enlighten me to the questions above. I can watch TV and read documents. If the public can understand what the School Board is doing, you might be able to gain more support. If my education has taught me anything it's to have an open mind and listen to all arguments. I've said it before, multiple perspectives lead to a clarity of vision. As a community, how do we get to where we want to get?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 2:19pm
"Let me ask you then, why are other districts in the area outperforming ours?" Tony B, you ask what seems like a simple question, but I am going to give you a very long response.  I am not trying to evade the question; it is just that educating low income urban kids is a very complex problem.  If there were an easy answer, MCSD would have done it, and so would the thousands of other similar school districts across the country struggling with the same problem.  While some public schools and charters have found success with one building, no one has come up with a model that will work across a whole system, when you have to be successful with EVERY child.

I would also like to state up front that I am speaking only for myself, as a 5.5 year member of the school board and a parent of 3 kids in MCSD schools for the last 11 years.  I am not speaking on behalf of the rest of the board or on behalf of MCSD.

First, I don't believe that other districts in the area are actually outperforming MCSD, if we could compare apples to apples.  Some people will say it is a cop-out, but the absolute truth is that the single most predictive factor of how kids will perform on standardized tests is their socio-economic background.  Generally (of course there are exceptions), if they live in a middle or upper class household, they will tend to score better than if they live in a poor household.  The state report card just tells you the total percentage of kids in each grade who pass each test. On like the 5th page, the report tells you the percentage of students in the district who are on free/reduced lunch, the proxy used for economic disadvantage.  What it doesn't tell you is the percentage of kids from each income level who passed.  Over 70% of MCSD students are economically disadvantaged. None of the surrounding school districts comes even close to this percentage of poor kids.

The closest the state report card comes to some type of comparative score that takes into account where the kids started from is the value added measure, which uses a secret formula (not kidding; it is not disclosed to the school districts) to determine whether the students in a district achieved a year's worth of academic growth in one year, or more or less.  2 years ago, MCSD achieved more than a year's growth overall. Last year it met but did not exceed a year's growth overall (some buildings did exceed).  Again, not perfect, we need to repeatedly see more than a year's growth each year to catch up, but if the students who attended MCSD learned a year's worth of academics in a year, I don't think its fair to condemn the schools as terrible, or the worst in the state.

Also, MCSD has a higher percentage of students with special needs than surrounding school districts--almost 20%. These kids are expected by the state to pass the standardized test for their grade level. To earn an indicator, 75% of the students in that grade have to pass the test. This is a hard bar to reach if you start with 20% of the kids off the top struggling to overcome a disability, which may range from dyslexia to ADD to severe mental retardation.

All that said, it is probably true that MCSD was slow to react to the dramatic change in the demographics of its student body, which went from around 40% free/reduced lunch to over 70% in about 5 years in the early 2000's thanks to the city's Section 8 policy and more students leaving the district. (The students who leave are usually the ones who would have scored better on the tests, no matter what district they were in).  Kids from poorer homes can learn, but it requires a more intensive effort, and the school is put in the position of having to teach many basics, including behavior, that it didn't used to have to teach.  When a child enters kindergarden never having even SEEN a book (no kidding, this happens often), you can appreciate the extra effort it will take to get that child up to grade level.

It is also probably true that MCSD was slow to accept the reality of standardized testing and to change the way instruction was delivered.  While I share your view, Tony, that today's standardized tests are a poor measure of academic quality, that is the game mandated by the federal government and if we don't accept the rules, we are going to lose the game.  The state has established content standards for each of the tested subjects as to what students are expected to learn in each grade. This may seem obvious, but we have to teach the students all of that content if we expect them to pass the test. We can't let each teacher teach whatever she wants to in her own classroom.  We need a centralized effort to align the curriculum to the content of the state standards, and then we need to monitor the teachers to make sure they are staying on track and covering all the material. [Vet: like it or not, this requires administrative personnel, even though you believe them all to be completely unnecessary]. We have a lot of kids that move several times during the school year between different schools, so if a teacher at Amanda is covering the material in a different order than a teacher at Creekview, when that kids moves, he is going to cover fractions 2 or 3 times and never long division.  You may not be surprised to learn that many (not all) teachers did not appreciate being told what to teach and when to teach it, and did not appreciate having principals and central office administrators showing up in the classroom to make sure this was happening and to try to suggest alternative  ways the teachers could teach the material if the students didn't learn it the first time through.  All of this has changed, and the central office is working harder to support the teachers on the front line, but it takes time. The fact that some buildings have improved faster than others is something that is being examined. Why? was it the leadership in the buildings, the staff, the makeup of the student body, or a particular program or initiative?  The district has also been slow to teach test taking skills. Some deride this as dumbing down education. But its not fair to the kids to have them take these high-stakes tests and not give them the tools they need. Many kids weren't even told, if you can't finish at least guess. There should be no blank answers. You wouldn't put a basketball team on the court without making sure they knew the rules of the game.

I have written a book here, and could go on and on. I'll stop with the comment that education is not passive.  It is not the teachers' job to pour knowledge into an empty vessel.  Learning is interactive, and requires active participation from the students.  Many (not all) students in our district do not put forth the required effort.  I don't know the students in other districts, so I cannot say, but if they are putting forth more effort (due to self motivation, parental involvement, or whatever reason) than Middletown students, then that would account for a difference in results.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 3:32pm
Thank you for your service Ms. Andrew.  Serving on school boards is a difficult task, especially in Middletown.  Sadly, through the efforts of the Section 8 slumlords, their ENABLERS on council and city admin (you know who you are), and even the stubborn old time teachers who failed to embrace new ways of teaching, our student population is now comprised of kids with many hurdles in front of them.  This doesn't necessarily mean that the district's methods are poor, but it does mean that continued effort is required.  unfortunately, we're not Mason or Centerville here and can't pat ourselves on the back for a job well done.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 3:56pm
Vet, in my first post on this thread, I stated that 4 assistant principals were among those RIF'd. That leaves assistant principals only at the high school (1800 students) and Vail (800 students). There are no "assistants to the assistants"; I don't know what you are talking about. And no, the school district is not top-heavy with administrators. The school district is a large operation with approximately $90 million in revenue from many different funding sources coming in and being spent; approximately 750 employees (full and part-time). Can't run a business that size without some operational people handling purchasing, accounts payable and receivables, compliance with all the state and federal laws, etc., and management and leadership. See my response to Tony for part of the role of central office in aligning teaching methods and substance. You need an HR function. You need buildings & maintenance functions.

Ms. Alberico's salary is more in the range of $65,000, not $98,000. And her job involved far more than giving quotes to the Journal (although she does respond to requests from the media almost every single day).  She also is the person who responds to public records requests, is the central point for all questions and complaints from students, parents, community, media, whomever, either finding an answer directly or directing the inquiry to the person with knowledge/responsibility.  Multiple requests every day. She writes newsletters and other communications to parents and taxpayers about what is going on with the public schools.  She keeps the website current. These are just some of her job responsibilities, there are others.  Similarly, someone has to be in charge of technology when you have hardware and software in 12 buildings, internal and external networks.  Both operational software and educational software.  Doesn't maintain itself.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 3:58pm
Mr. Barille, thank you for your post. I agree that significant continued effort is required. I did not mean to imply otherwise in my post.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 4:11pm
Ms. Andrew - Thank you for your post. I appreciate your insight and perspective on this situation. Your comment about socio-economic background as a predictor of standardized test results was something that I had suspected. i agree that it would be more beneficial to the district if the breakdown in test scores by income level.

I agree with you that even the most effective teacher can't make a child learn. It is a two way street, desire by the student and an emphasis on education in the home can greatly improve this situation. Something else struck me about how students are "mainstreamed" now. In your opinion, is this a detriment to teaching? I've had comments from others that because you have classes with wide disparities in abilities, it causes the entire process to slow down. Back in my day (God I hate that phrase), classes were separated by abilities so that the needs of individual students didn't impede the progress of others. Somehow, that seems to have been interpreted as discrimination instead of what it is, teaching to the abilities of the student. If a student can't read, there's no reason for him to hold an entire class back. Students learn in different ways and if one method is not having good result another can be employed. That option seems to have been eliminated with the current system.
I do find it odd that there are standards for what should be learned. In  certain subjects like math, reading or writing I see the logic but in other subjects like history, science and government you get into the opinion problem. Whose version of history, what constitutes science fact from religious dogma are much trickier areas to determine content. I agree that test-taking skills are essential if the success or failure of the entire district rides on these tests. I never have liked the testing idea as the measure of quality education but as you say, you've got to play the hand that's dealt you.

I appreciate your time and the information you've shared. This kind of dialogue is essential to inform and educate the public about our school district and the challenges it faces. My hope is that as a community we can overcome the challenges and have a school system that we all pe proud of.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 5:24pm
Amazing a group of three young black high school students from the inner cities, that had never ridden on a horse before, with just a little bit of nourishment and support, became the Nationa Polo Champions for 2011, earned a $40,000. scholarship to a top prep school, and then the Ivy leagues, when "handicapped" from socioeconomic disadvantage to national champions, through mentoring. Of course, in Middletown, the results are attributed to:

1) Section 8- the parents just don't care and the kids just cannot compete.

2) Poor parents who just don't care.

Brick and mortar does not make for an education, and what a shame those vouchers aren't available yet for privates to be used an an alternative to underperforming publics. The newsletter will be sorely missed. What a struggle we have in Middletown. And just imagine how any potential resident must think about Middletown as a school system from the above. I always was interested to statistically correlate Middletown's 4.0 student and ACT with Oakwood's 4.0 student and ACT score. Swathmore says otherwise as to equal footing on competing. 
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 5:46pm
Well like with anything theres multi-levels of issues that need to be seperated and dealt with one at a time which in this "I need it now" world is difficult.  Ms. Andrews states, which I agree, you need participation from the student. More importantly you need the parents to help backup the teachers. The general public has very little idea of the "layers" of what can or can't be done to enforce a student to simply attend school and learn. We have allowed the state to take it's eye off the ball of education. I will have to make a choice within the next two years on the school we will send a child to, drop $7500 a year at Fenwick, drive to Monroe or send them to MHS which I've been told and if wrong please correct me had over 250 arrest last year with not one student expelled. This was told to me and backed up by several police officers.  Ms. Andrews thank you for taking time to provide the few of use with info. The thread began with a school system cutting cost and a AD taking a pay cut, should our system and it's employees do the same? I would hope not but until the gallery is full during each school board meeting with interested parents and tax payers asking questions and showing up to school to find out whats happening within the school I guess we will continue to chase our on tail. But If in fact I'm correct about the arrest rate why do we continue to allow these so called students back in?  Thank you 
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 8:42pm
Middletown City Schools say they are trimming the budget, making cuts and are not top heavy when it comes to administration.....Look at the MCSD website. 20 years ago, when Middletown and Monroe were a combined district,  larger, there were 4 departments in the administration building. Today  I counted 8 departments.  I understand that a business needs someone to run it but this is ridiculous.

At one time there was a Facilities Department, staffed with one manager and several others who were classified employees.  Now there is a Dept. of Business Services staffed with a Business Manager, Manager of Operations, Transportation Coordinator (why wasn't that position cut if Peterman Bus Service is taking over?), an Asst. Supervisor (doesn't say to what) and several others (and there are less buildings now). 

In the Dept. of Learning  there is a Senior Director (I believe this used to be the Asst. Superintendent  until taxpayers complained when they were passing the last levy) so they changed the title of the position and hired someone else.  There are 4 Curriculum Coordinators, Data Specialist and a Curriculum Consultant (this position was listed in the Journal in the salaries as $75, 000.00 a year).  There is a Data Specialist in the Dept. of Learning and in each elementary school there is a Data Manager.  These are former classroom teachers making $75,000.00 or more a year but instead of teaching, they are crunching numbers to make the data look good.  So, what does the Data Specialist do?  Does this give you some idea of what I'm talking about?

These are 2 of the departments in the administration building, there are 6 more and they all have Directors, Coordinators, Assistants and Specialists. 

To add to all of this Middletown has a job opening FOR A NEW POSITION in the administration building for a "Senior Director of Instructional Leaders".  This too will turn into its own department and have assistants, coordinators and of course, everyone has their own secretary. 

The Department of Student Services has a supervisor, a couple coordinators, attendance officers and 7 secretaries.

A football coach was recently hired.  He will be making about $60,000.00 (plus another $20,000.00 in supplementals) to check attendance.  A job that was once held by a classified employee.  This stems from the last football coach, who I believe wasn't certified to teach high school (is this one?), so they created this position for him and the new coach slid right into it.

You asked about the students at the high school?  It's a terrible situation.  There is no control, no respect.  Students taken out in handcuffs before the day even begins. Some of the students are sent to an area called A+. This is used for some students instead of being suspended or expelled as a way to make up their work. By the way, there are several full time certified staff members in A+ making $70,000.00 a year (or more) with 2 or 3 students in their room at a time.

Recently there were cuts made but  they cut the positions of the staff who are there for the students such as the hall monitors in the high school, the aides and the library managers along with other classified positions that are low pay who assist the students.  Recently, the headlines in the Journal have been about gang fights at the high school, parents who are suing the district and showing up at the school tossing "holy" water at the students and the hall monitors are cut who are out there with an eye on what's going on.  The elementary schools had classified, low paid library managers who ALL lost their jobs.  The libraries will be staffed with volunteers.  Will the volunteers have background checks?  Will they be rated "highly qualified" by the Ohio Dept. of Ed.?  No they will not but the library managers were.  There were 2 positions cut from the administration building and that is supposed to be something for us to praise the school board about?  Give me a break. 

You can show up at the board meetings, ask all you want, it's all smoke and mirrors.  You will never get the entire truth. 

Keep an eye on it all and you will see....Next year they will hire the administrators back and say, "We found a grant to fund that" or "The cuts from the state weren't as bad as we thought".
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 9:01pm

Ms. Andrew:

Thank you for the above post!!! I am in complete agreement with 95% of it, as are probably a host of others that have been perceived as opponents.

Even more unfortunately, we have been aware of that information for years and if that would have been the gist of the District’s case for passage of levies, we would’ve been much more supportive.

Instead, we were handed garbage such as: “Vote for this levy! Kids can learn in old buildings.” which did nothing but alienate and enrage those of us who knew better and were insulted by such drivel (since we received fine educations in “old buildings”.)

The truth always works the best. The truth is your friend!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 9:26pm
jsmith....as I suspected, Middletown really runs a lean and mean shop huh? I have generations in my family that teach/ taught, and have always been appalled by the supers who double dip, and the enormity of the overhead that has been created, and tenure, as if a school teacher was a doctorate whom wrote 30 books on relativity and was published in scientific magazines. I doubt if you could find a more bloated entity, including federal government, or waste, with the exception of federal contracting for Defense spending.

While appreciating the openness of dialogue by Ms. Andrew, the sad reality is the fact that 70% of the student population is within the band of "poverty". What does that do to getting more students to enroll in the district, increase or decrease? What does that accompanying result do to your property valuation; increase or decrease? And Mr. Presta, from your previous posts a year ago on the levy, who will be making up the difference in the dollars spent per pupil with such facts revealed? The state, the city, or the local property owner? Therein lies the cycle. How is Middletown doing in open enrollment; increasing or decreasing?
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 9:34pm
I agree with Ms. Andrews' assessment of the MCSD performance -- actually it's pretty much common sense and most in town can point to the reasons given for our testing performance.  I also agree with her premise that the quality of education may not be that different than other districts, espcially if the student is engaged.  

So why does the person posting above talk about sending their child to Fenwick?  The same reason many would -- too many reports of the high school resembling a zoo.  It's one thing if I know there are many kids in that building who don't care about their education...as long as they're not affecting my kids. But when you allow them to poison the environment with outrageous behavior, threats, blatant disrespect and abuse of staff, drugs, incidents requiring police involvement...well now you're making Fenwick or Mid Christian look mighty attractive.

Ms. Andrews, I agree with your point that many of the students lost in the 2000's were middle class and up and they normally did well on tests.  Well, your current regime is not helping matters by allowing Vail and the High School to have reputations for lack of order, accountability, etc.  That rep will surely drive more students away.

I'm guessing the answer is cost and legality, but can't Verity be turned into a day care for the troubled students that seem to have a future consisting of at best a McD's hat and at worst either a jail bed or a coffin?  If you can thatch your lawn, the remaining grass will flourish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic