FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8/Rental Testimony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2012 at 7:46am

"Serious crime in Middletown hits six-year high"

No word yet on how City Hall will try to seek retribution against The Journal for violating the City's "good news only" policy.

DesiSmileys.com
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2012 at 9:47am
Journal should have followed up the Mayor's comments with a comment from the Lt. about his opinion on if the vast majority of criminals are mid to long-term Middletown residents or interlopers from out of town. That would have been interesting.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2012 at 10:31am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

No...you got it wrong Vet IMO.All the Journal and Mayor Mulligan are doing are tethering it together so they can show minor crime is up, and use it as a selling pt for an unjustified tax levy attempted to be hammered through in August. Its about the levy, not about the non-sensical notion Dayton and Cincinnati meet in Middletown.In fact, isn't that what the housing and commercial development market was supposed to do---15 years ago and counting?. 

I was referring to the levy when I started my post by saying....

"And again, to re-enforce the topic of too much Section 8 in town......today's Journal follow-up.....(this story is also a plug to entice you to support their safety levy by the mention of the lack of manpower on the street to combat this increase in crime)"

You know, when the crime crap starts and the "we're hurting for manpower" theme is unleashed, it's levy time.......Imagine that......right before the levy push to justify their need for our money. It is so blatantly apparent and a repetitive tactic used. It is also apparent that they could care less about the amount of crime in this town or they wouldn't bring their "let's create a ghetto" mentality to the table. Ya can't intentionally invite the problem to the city and then whine and cry at levy time how the crime is running rampant. Kinda takes the credibility out of the need for your levy passage. The only sad part about this is that there will be some people who actually believe their nonsense and will vote for this cluster.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2012 at 12:15pm
vET...YOU ARE RIGHT. LETS MAKE THIS JEFF FOXWORTHEISE.

YOU KNOW THERE IS A TAX LEVY IN MIDDLETOWN WHEN THE JOURNAL PRINTS INFORMATION AS TO HOW CRIME HAS RISEN AND SOMEONE ON CITY COUNCIL STATES ITS ALL ABOUT MANPOWER.

YOU KNOW THERE IS A  TAX LEVY IN MIDDLETOWN WHEN YOU SEE THE MIDDLETOWN STREET SWEEPER SWEEOPING THE CRUMBLING ASPHALT UP ON YOUR CUL DE SAC.

YOU KNOW THERE IS A TAX LEVY WHEN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT BRINGS OUT EVERY VEHICLE IN THEIR ARSENAL TO SHOW THE WORLD, THEY ARE PREPARED TO MAKE RUNS FOR ALL THE OLD FOLKS, THE 75% THAT MAKE UP MIDDLETOWN'S POPULATION, 65 AND OLDER, TO THE HOSPITAL.

YOU KNOW THERE IS A TAX LEVY WHEN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT TURNS ON ITS FLASHING LIGHTS AND SIRENS TO MAKE THEIR RUNS TO THE ATRIUM FOR A MINOR ISSUE, TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS, THEY ARE INDISPENSIBLE.

YOU KNOW THERE IS A TAX LEVY WHEN YOU ACTUALLY SEE A POLICE CRUISER IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD MAKING ROUNDS, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A YEAR.

YOU KNOW THERE IS A TAX LEVY WHEN ALL THE BUZZ BY CITY COUNCIL IS ON CINCINNATI STATE, AND WHAT YOU SEE IS NOTHING BUT FOR LEASE SIGNS ON BREIEL BLVD

YOU KNOW THERE US A TAX LEVY WHEN YOU SEE FOR SALE SIGNS POPPING ALL OVER IN EVERY MAJOR NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE CITY.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2012 at 12:04am
I have suddenly seen police on my street just sitting in front of homes. This has not occurred in many years and even I have call the police and was told that they don't have the personnel to spare to watch for speeders. This is nothing but a pr tactic to try and sell their safety levy.
Remember,according to State law this type of levy doesn't have to be spent on police or fire dept, of course we have already seen this scam. OuchOuch
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 11:52pm
VietVet,

I agree with you that Middletown has more than it's share of problems but I must disagree with you on the connection that you are making between Section 8 vouchers, poverty, and crime.

You state that, via the Section 8 program, the city has created the poverty and crime problems that we are currently dealing with. However, this is just not factual. Section 8 did not cause the poverty, the poverty within our city was already here and qualified for the Section 8 vouchers. The Section 8 program pays almost $900,000.00 into Middletown's economy each month. Without these subsidies, the less fortunate citizens in our city would have to spend what little they make toward their housing needs instead spending it in our local economy. You state that Middletown's Section 8 program is attracting poverty and crime from neighboring cities like Dayton & Cincinnati. Again, this statement just isn't factual. Middletown's Section 8 program has a "locality preference", which means, for the most part, you can't get a voucher unless you are already a Middletown resident.

With that said, I hope that we can take the steps needed to turn things around for our city. I am all for the current strategy of tearing down what needs to be torn down, to hold banks accountable for all of the vacant homes that they are responsible for, and for making landlords more responsible for the properties that they own & lease. It will take many years to turn things around (even if we do it right), hopefully, during that time, we can improve our poverty levels so that so many aren't reliant upon it to survive. Only time will tell.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic