FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend a Good Shed Builder?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend a Good Shed Builder?
    Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 1:11pm
We are in the market for a new garden shed. 12 x 16 at least. This is in Warren County (south of Dayton).

I've looked at many local shed places. Clabo in Waynesville... that's the shed place along Rt 73 in Harveysburg - they have a huge inventory on display, but I didn't care at all for the owner. The Wooden Branch near Caesars Creek seems like a good choice, but many of their products are fairly expensive. Duracraft LLC's sheds (there is a display along Rt 48 near Miami Valley Memory Gardens) are a bit generic looking and fairly expensive (they seem to be more for the commercial market.)

Any experiences to share?

PS: apologies if this is posted to the wrong section. Mods, please move if necessary. Thanks.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 2:43pm
Had a shed built by two laid off AK workers in 2006. 10' x 12'....small as we have a smaller back yard and I didn't want a building taking up a large chunk of it. Good enough to store garden tools, wheelbarrow, lawn mower, deck furniture, etc. Cost was $1900 with ramp, sub floor, shingles and hardware. A little steep IMO but a decent job constructing it.

The places you have checked out appear to be custom shed dealers. I would suggest Lowes or Home Depot also. Might get it cheaper there as they are large box stores and not speciality shops which always seem to be more expensive. I got a good deal back in 1995 at Lowes on a 10 by 16 footer at the old house. The subcontractors did a decent job of installing it.
Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 6:42pm
I already have a small Lowes shed, that was constructed in 2000 by that kind of team. I've already replaced the doors that rotted out (had to build them myself from lumber), and now the side is rotting out. Aside from crappy site prep which this guy said nothing about (the shed sits directly on the ground), I don't think the materials were that high quality. And I have priced the Lowes and Home Depot shed kits - they are VERY close to the prices that the regular shed building places charge for the shed on your site. The kits are overpriced for what they are.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 6:11am
Sorry you had some bad experiences with Lowes. My shed was off the ground, is still standing in the backyard of the old house and is 16 years old. Appears from the street to be in decent shape for a shed that age. It has been painted at least twice since I had it installed in 1995. Must be the difference in the quality of the installation crew that would explain the differences between my experiences and yours. The shed in the backyard of my current house has been stained twice since 2006. Looks ok. Gotta have air flow beneath the floor/gotta be off the ground at least 6-8 inches or rotting will occur.

Was merely suggesting some alternatives to you as you had asked for feedback.
emilysoft11 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilysoft11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 5:40am
You check the place of to seem dealer's run off that orders to make.I will also suggest a little bit low or go home warehouse.May chase its lane cheaper take them for big box stores and isn't a specialty to always seem to become more expensive store over there.I in 1995 at a little bit low backward and very get at an on 1016 walk in the old house.Outsourced a company to do to install its fairly good work.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 8:48am
Sears also sells steel buildings (including sheds) that show up in kits you can assemble fairly easily. Or at least they used to, it's been a while since I looked.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic