FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AJ Smith = Fool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Summerrain1957 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 7:40pm
I am all for CCW also but was wondering if AJ was carrying that when all the trouble happened at Applebees last year since they do sell alcohol in there and he was drinking????  I think it is his time to go  what an embarrassment to the rest of Council.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 10:09pm

The embarrassment of a city giving an estate $200,000 when the estate had a value greater than $15 Mm is a far greater embarrassment than a private citizen wearing a gun concealed in a bad neighborhood for personal safety. Most would not think the rationale for carrying his gun was to pull it out timely, when the Duke guy came around to ask "pay up friend" or we're cutting you off the grid.    
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:51pm
For Those Who Don't Know The Story....

Councilman's behavior in spotlight; antics a 'disappointment'
A.J. Smith has been in four police reports since July 2010.

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer
12:39 AM Wednesday, August 3, 2011
MIDDLETOWN — After reading report after report of Councilman A.J. Smith’s personal troubles involving police, Herman Denlinger said he could sum up his feelings in one word: disappointment.
“I know he’s young, but he had to know what was expected of him as a councilman. He’s supposed to be better than the rest of us — set an example,” said Denlinger, a resident in the 2nd Ward, which Smith represents.
Smith, 22, had a run-in with Middletown police July 11 after reportedly confronting a Duke Energy employee with a handgun who came out to shut off electricity to a house Smith owns. According to a police report, the utility said electric service was “illegally reconnected” to the Sixth Avenue home.
Smith, who said he would not be available Tuesday, could not be reached. On Monday, he declined to comment.
This was Smith’s fourth incident involving police since July 14, 2010. No charges have been filed against Smith.
These continued issues involving police are likely negatively impacting his influence on City Council, and may lead Rosa Lean Lindsey, also a 2nd Ward resident, to not vote for Smith in the next election, she said.
“I was hoping when he was elected that he would make our younger people want to be involved in the community,” she said. “It’s changed my opinion on that because (those) people in the younger age group are looking to him as an example.
“Us older ones, we want to be proud of him,” she added.
Marie Pendergrass said she’d “rather not make a comment” on Smith’s actions, but noted she did not vote for him in the last election and felt the 2nd Ward should put up better candidates.
“It’s a sad situation,” she said.
Never one to “run people out of town,” 2nd Ward resident and Health Commissioner Jackie Phillips said she prays for Smith but has “mixed feelings about his extracurricular activities.”
“I think his age has a lot to do with it,” she said.
It’s up to his constituents, Phillips said, to decide whether to begin a petition to oust Smith. However, Phillips said she still respects him stepping up to serve the community — an action few city naysayers do, she said.
“I think he is making poor decisions but I support him totally because I respect what he is trying to do for the community,” Phillips said.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 12:15am
Folks, This is what you get when you vote for the wrong person for the wrong reasons; being young and invigorating, having the ability to talk in public, race, education, religion, etc., etc. There is but one reason to vote any elected person into office and that is you believe they will do the best job possible for the seat they are elected too.

AJ has been an embarrassment since day one and was praised by many on the board for being the next great elected official in Middletown. Personally I would not have voted for him even if he was the only one running.

AJ has went from one embarrassing situation to another and totally embarrassed this town with his lack of leadership and self control.

I have to also say that Mrs Phillips has also left a sour taste in my mouth with her comment, “It’s a sad situation,” she said. Never one to “run people out of town,” 2nd Ward resident and Health Commissioner Jackie Phillips said she prays for Smith but has “mixed feelings about his extracurricular activities.” “I think his age has a lot to do with it,” she said. It’s up to his constituents, Phillips said, to decide whether to begin a petition to oust Smith. However, Phillips said she still respects him stepping up to serve the community — an action few city naysayers do, she said.
“I think he is making poor decisions but I support him totally because I respect what he is trying to do for the community,” Phillips said.
This comment does not reflect well of her judgement of people as a city leader.

Personally if I were Mayor Mulligan I would seek legal counsel on having AJ removed from city council.

John Beagle - You say bad Guys watch out - I say Good Guys Watch Out if he is packing during the council meetings. PSSSST Mr. Becker, between you and me and the fly on the wall for protection of your fellow council members? A person such as AJ, who tends to act on the spur of the moment and with high passion should not be permitted to carry a gun during council meetings or even when in the city building. To the 2nd Ward; considering AJ only got 1200 votes when he was elected (if my memory serves me correctly) you should be able to get him on a recall ballot with 150 signatures and about 30-40 signatures as backups.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 12:32am
Personally if I were Mayor Mulligan I would seek legal counsel on having AJ removed from city council.

John Beagle - You say bad Guys watch out - I say Good Guys Watch Out if he is packing during the council meetings. PSSSST Mr. Becker, between you and me and the fly on the wall for protection of your fellow council members? A person such as AJ, who tends to act on the spur of the moment and with high passion should not be permitted to carry a gun during council meetings or even when in the city building. To the 2nd Ward; considering AJ only got 1200 votes when he was elected (if my memory serves me correctly) you should be able to get him on a recall ballot with 150 signatures and about 30-40 signatures as backups.

Pac,couldnt agree with you anymore.There has to be a way to get this young thug off of council.Since he just wants to keep on dragging this "DEAD City" down  in the ground some more. We all know that he cant get it through his head know one wants him around anymore.So A.J. do something right for one time in your life and leave council.Enough is enough already.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 4:00am
Pacman, while I agree AJS has shown an abundance of immaturity, and poor judgment, it is simply undeniable the hyperbole and exaggeration (well, they mean the same anyway) on his antics has been a gross distortion in my opinion. I never supported him nor any re-election (it is quite evident he would never carry an at large position), you cannot seriously be suggesting he got a pass on the Duke employee situation because he was packing heat legally? If he had pulled a gun, and the Duke cut-off employee thought he was in any danger, charges would have been filed.

For years. Mr. Becker was the most outspoken council member on the downtown area not coming back nor the benefit of putting $$$ into the area. Why then, is the money being spent on it now? The Manchester Inn isn't even a part of any deal with IRG nor State, but the Middletown's Journal rant and gross inflation of what transpired takes AJ Smith to front and center over the antics of the council? Not in my book.

I concur with your point of Jackie Philips. From my understanding, she is the only chief remaining in the Health Department with nurses hired as contractors. She is placing her bet STD's and that hype will carry the day on rasing about $500,000 with the levy. In Middletown, statistically, STD's account for about 1 case per every 10,000 in population, or 5 per month, in a city Middletown's size, treated by antibiotics. That is not sufficient to justify a levy of any sort and they should merge with BCHD. She makes her comments IMO, because she wants AJS to help get the votes.

Say what you will about AJS, and I never voted for him and am a strong fiscal conservative, he does know how to campaign after working for Obama and seems to be a target of inflated hyperbole for being Dirty Harry one day, and a carzed alcholic another. To me, he seems like a young kid in a public forum and position bringing baggage to the table illuminated deliberately, when others are buried under the carpet. Where;s the Journal's scrutiny on the Manchester investment, and downtown, a year after State has been playing around with some idea of putting a class somewhere in Middletown?   
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 5:52pm
AJ is a FOOL....
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 7:18pm

Not charging AJ is an injustice.  He walked outside to intimidate someone with a firearm.  It was daylight outside. He heard a noise.  Look out the damn window.  

People are charged in this town for offenses all the time that have more plausible excuses than this clown. 

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2011 at 6:56am

Superb point, Mr. Acclaro. 

Consider the Mayor’s mother’s twenty year dream to have the period street lighting, and the City’s willingness to provide it at the taxpayer’s never-ending monthly expense.  The Journal had no comment on that.

We should be grateful that the Mayor’s mother’s twenty year dream was not an aircraft carrier or a Taj Mahal type mausoleum.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2011 at 10:11am
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2011 at 11:42am
When can I use my handgun to protect myself?
  • Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
  • Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.

Using or displaying a handgun in any other circumstances could result in your conviction for crimes such as improper exhibition of a firearm, manslaughter, or worse.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 6:59am
More AJ from the Journal......

Councilman criticized for disparaging remarks about governor

MIDDLETOWN — Councilman A.J. Smith has been criticized for remarks he made about Ohio Gov. John Kasich on his personal Facebook page.

With the defeat of Issue 2 in Tuesday’s general election, the city’s outspoken 2nd Ward representative called the GOP governor “an arrogant little man” and another disparaging name.

NOT A FAN OF SMITH'S ACTIONS AS MOST AREN'T AND DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE "OTHER DISPARAGING NAME", BUT I REALLY DON'T SEE WHERE HIS "ARROGANT LITTLE MAN" COMMENT CAN BE CATEGORIZED IN THE NAME-CALLING BRACKET. SOMEWHAT DEROGATORY PERHAPS. WE'VE ALL HEARD WORSE, HAVEN'T WE?

Butler County Treasurer Nancy Nix, a former Middletown City Council member, responded on Smith’s Facebook page saying he represents “more than just yourself, you represent Middletown. Please remember that. It’s okay to have an opinion, but please be professional...”

Nix, a Republican, believes council members should “behave in an appropriate manner.” She understands Issue 2 was a very emotional issue for people.“Some may be glad he’s speaking his mind, but when you’re an elected official, you’re held to a higher standard,” she said. “Name-calling is inappropriate.”

NIX'S USE OF MIDDLETOWN, REPRESENTING MIDDLETOWN AND THE WORD PROFESSIONAL SEEM TO CONFLICT. HAS SHE SEEN THE WAY THE TOWN HAS BEEN RUN LATELY? PROFESSIONAL WOULD ALUDE TO COMPETENT WOULDN'T IT? DO WE HAVE THAT IN THIS TOWN AS TO LEADERSHIP AND REPRESENTATION? WITH THE REPUTATION THIS TOWN HAS HAD IN THE LAST 20+ YEARS, IT'S A LITTLE LATE TO WORRY ABOUT REPRESENTING MIDDLETOWN IN A POSITIVE LIGHT, ISN'T IT?

I LOVE THE COMMENT "WHEN YOU"RE AN ELECTED OFFICIAL, YOU'RE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD". COMICAL NIX. I HAVE HEARD/READ ENOUGH ON THE FED, STATE AND LOCAL SCENE TO KNOW THAT MOST POLITICIANS ARE LOOKED UPON WITH CONTEMPT AND ARE RANKED RIGHT ABOVE A FELON AS TO STANDARDS AND MORALS. WHO'S FOOLING WHO HERE NIX?

IF NIX IS GOING TO SCOLD SMITH ABOUT "BEHAVING IN AN APPROPRIATE MANNER", WHY DIDN'T WE HEAR NIX SCOLDING PICARD WHEN HE TOLD LAUBACH TO SHUT UP IN A COUNCIL MEETING. AT LEAST SMITH HAS HIS YOUTHFUL INDESCRETIONS TO USE AS AN EXCUSE(OR DID ABOUT FIVE EPISODES AGO) PICARD IS OLD ENOUGH AND A SO-CALLED "PROFESSIONAL" TO HAVE KNOWN BETTER. WHY WASN'T HE PUBLICLY ADMONISHED FOR HIS COUNCIL BEHAVIOR BY NIX, MULLIGAN OR THE OTHER "BEHAVIOR POLICE"? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE SCHIAVONE/LAURA WILLIAMS TANTRUMS THAT EVENTUALLY GOT TO YOU TUBE? WAS NIX AROUND THEN? IF SO, WHERE WAS THE CONCERN THEN?

FURTHERMORE, WHO ANNOINTED NIX THE ETIQUETTE CZAR OF MIDDLETOWN? SHE PLAYED THE GAME OF USING MIDDLETOWN AS A SPRINGBOARD TO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS. SHE DID THE REPUBLICAN COUNTY SHUFFLE TO MANEUVER TO WHERE SHE IS AT, CHOOSING TO DISENGAGE HERSELF FROM MIDDLETOWN POLITICS. SHE SHOULD TEND TO HER BUSINESS IN HAMILTON AS SHE HAS CHOSEN TO DO AND STOP PLAYING MOTHER HEN WITH THE LECTURES.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 7:24am

Agree with you VV, but you have to admit, AJ is the ever ready bunny, he just keeps going and going
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 8:26am

Nix wants someone else to “behave in an appropriate manner”???

This from someone who is listed in a newspaper ad one day as supporting my opponent when I am running for public office, and then mails me a letter the very next day asking for my support when she seeks the Central Committee’s endorsement for reelection. 

Does she think THAT is “appropriate behavior” … or does she just have unmitigated gall???  LOL LOL LOL

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 9:36am

I feel this article is more appropriate in a first grade year book than a newspaper. Really silly. He expressed his opinion of a public official, whom has no immunity from an opinion. Nancy posted her opinion back. In essence, the same concept as stated below, by O, you respond and create dialogue in that forum, like a blog, which others agree, disagree, or have no opinion, nor post anything. As a newspaper, how is that fact, how is it newsworthy? Perhaps printed in the opinion side of the paper? I feel I am in grade school even discussing this issue, not remotely newsworthy. Perhaps the paper should take point/ counterpoint here and put it in as news. Well, it takes off the glare of Herman Cain.

Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 10:40am
I consider Nancy a friend and this morning she posted on her facebook that the comment she was responding to on AJ's page wasn't even posted in the Journal.  She says she was responding to AJ referring to the Governor as a "flaming douchebag."  I see political coversations everyday on FB and AJ can state his opinion and Nancy can say hers but don't post something and then not expect to have people respond (isn't that the point of posting!!) The Journal does have a facebook page so it's not out of the question that they saw AJ's post and called them both for comments on their conversation.
GLM View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 10:48am
A few weeks ago I was having lunch in a local restaurant and AJ was seated near me.  He was a bit loud and couldn't help but overhear some remarks he was making to his lunch companion on his prominence in the community, saying things like "it is not arrogance because I can back it up" and "when I walk into a room I command respect from everyone". 

I know he is still a young man but someone needs to explain to him how to look in the mirror and do a reality check.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 11:18am
Again A.J. needs to go .He is a disgrace to Middletucky.Where has he been at the last 2 council meetings? Im guessing he thinks the budget isnt important.
GO AWAY A.J. we wont miss you at all.Smile
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 11:27am
Any one have a link to aj or nancies facebook ?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 4:33pm
Aj is a fart in the wind. Knowing Nix is not hourly I still hope she not wasting time during the workday on facebook. Who gives a sh t what Aj does. Nix needs to worry about her on world of public life and focus on the pending down turn of property values. Facebook good god lets tell everybody what we had for lunch today and if the sky is still blue.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 5:38pm
Another misunderstanding!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 6:55pm
Ok, that's it! As a resident of Ward 2 I for one have had enough!
I am going to organize a petition drive to recall Mr Smith.
Who is with me?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 10:05pm
Judge Judy moment. Maybe a tv show after office or on HLN for the M. I find the Commissioners in Hamiltion 1000x more clowns than Smith's destructive actions.
Voleye View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 7:38am
they didnt embarrass themselves.   The court and city did what they had to do.   It would be a lot worse press if they give special treatment to someone on council and let them slide by without paying and no fine.   The court had to treat it as if it were Joe Normal.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 10:46am
Mr Smith is an embarrassment to young men and the community.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic