FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A dire warning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A dire warning
    Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 4:30am

Friends, citizens, Middletonians, lend me your ears!

You are about to embark upon an election season of paramount importance, not only to you but to your children and their children, and to our entire city.  We are perched upon the edge of a steep cliff, about to plunge over. The importance of the upcoming election cannot be overstated.  We were warned three years ago that we are among the fastest dying cities in our whole nation and that has not changed.  If anything, it has gotten worse.

Our city’s debt has grown larger every year, but our leaders have not mentioned it to you.

Our existing businesses are struggling mightily, yet our leaders look the other way, and even find more obstacles to put before them.

Neighboring communities have landed businesses and industry.  They grow, prosper, and begin to climb out of this recession while we languish and decline since no one wants to deal with our tyrannical city hall.

We would be laughing stock among our neighbors, save the fact that they mostly have come to despise us due to the heavy-handed, hard-headed manner in which we have dealt with them.

Our city, which once grew rich with the roar of great steel and paper mills, with their world headquarters, and with respected engineering and construction companies, now looks to pizza places and hamburger havens for “job opportunities.”

Our roads are crumbling and our streets stink, actually stink.

Our current so-called leaders talk of our so-called “historic” areas, but our true historic areas are now gone, vanished, mostly due to poor leadership and lack of common sense by the sad lot now entrenched in city hall.

The future is now up to you, my friends and neighbors and fellow Middletonians.  It is up to you, good citizens and compatriots!

This election will likely be your last chance.

Do not be led over the edge of the cliff by the false music of the Pied Piper of Main Street.  Don’t be fooled again by the Dandy Dan.  Mr. Mulligan and Mr. Picard have gotten you nothing these last years but more debt, and they won’t even admit to you how much.  They get streets paved in their own neighborhoods, but not yours. You must pay to pave your own streets.  Mr. Picard can’t even decide in which neighborhood he wants to live, and he is using this as an excuse to run for a four year term while he still has over two years remaining on his current term.  Throw Ms. Mort in with them and you will have three of a kind, three triplets, if you will.  She has made a living in the business of fooling people.

Three people who will tell you that there is nothing wrong with Middletown!  Are they blind?

Don’t be fooled, my fellow citizens.  The first two have done nothing the whole time that they have been in office.  To reelect them, and throw in their cohort Mort, will be the death knell for our city.

It will guarantee you the very same as you have been getting.  It will guarantee that millions more of your children’s money will be wasted on the wants of two or three hundred of their friends.  Everything will be decided behind closed doors.  You will be told as little as possible, and only after the fact.

Think even now how many things would be glossed over if the good patriots that post here did not bring it into the open before the meetings, things that would be routinely passed with no discussion if the flags were not raised right here.

Watch how much money they spend on this election.  Watch how much money they receive in donations.  Watch where those donations come from.  Follow the money.

If Mulligan and Picard are reelected, and their triplet sister is added to council, there may as well never be another open meeting.  Middletown will be doomed.

Do not say that you have not been warned.  I have sounded the call.  I have rung the bell.  The rest is up to you and your neighbors.  Register to vote.  Get your friends and relatives registered to vote.

Then use your vote wisely, and heed my words.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 6:07am
Sounds good Richard! Kinda sums it up. A suggestion..... take the master copy to Kinko's and make 10,000 copies,obtain a list of registered voters in Middletown, take them to the post office and ask for a mass mailing to those addresses.....not yet.....too soon. Wait until the day before the election so it will be fresh in the minds of the voters. I will donate some money toward the cost at the post office for the mass mailing and printing. Perhaps the folks here could throw in a dollar or two to help with your cost. Let us know if you would be interested in doing this. Perhaps we have people here who would like to help with the cost.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 6:36am
In short form:
yep
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 10:18am
And the choices are:

Ann Mort- aka Pinnochio, a David Blaine with phony numbers at event planning
Larry Mulligan- "if you don't like, get the hell out of town"
Dan Picard- following the orders of MMF, whom placed him on the ballot

As Richard says, this band if placed in office, would be analagous to giving Obama a second term, with control of the house, Senate and Congress! There must be balance between those who seek the coin for themselves and those whom seek equity for all in Middletown.

Hearts should be on fire in this election, or its over. Step into the kicthen and turn up the heat---see who likes the fire:

etmoore View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 11:13am
Please visit votetoddmoore.com or join our campaign at facebook.com/votetoddmoore.  Todd Moore for Middletown City Council. 
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 12:02pm
Maybe all the candidates should have a web site here and express their ideas and plans about the issues that face Middletown. Randy, perhaps you could invite all the current council candidates to participate in an on-line debate. Worth a try!
etmoore View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 2:15pm

Everyone,

In deciding to run for Council, I wanted to offer creative policies that would rebuild our economy and improve our city’s image.  I’ve tried to do more than just create an agenda—I’ve tried to create an economic model. While we see things happening around town—Pendleton Art Center, VA, Atrium, Greentree Health Academy, Sun Coke—we have not seen significant economic growth.  We must, therefore, stimulate the economy by adopting specific, targeted programs.  The model that I’ve created will: (1) stabilize housing values and broaden the middle-class, expand our tax base within 2 years and (2) create targeted programs to stimulate business attraction-retention, retain the middle-class, increase post-secondary educational attainment, decrease unemployment, build assets in the community, build a new workforce and overcome our “skills gap,” foster collaboration, and reduce Section 8 housing.  More details will follow, but if we adopt sensible policies we will overcome our economic stagnation and become a vibrant, productive city.  Let’s make great things happen in Middletown! 

I look forward to your comments. 

Thanks,

Todd Moore

Visit: votetoddmoore.com or facebook.com/votetoddmoore

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 2:54pm
etmoore.....

"I look forward to your comments" (and I hope questions)

Ok, Mr. Moore, here goes.......since I believe the upcoming forum questions will be screened and these types of questions will be omitted by the forum friends of the MMF and city because they are incriminating...

1. How would you go about the task of making this city friends with neighboring communities since the damage has been done with the Towne Mall area episode with Franklin and Franklin Township and Monroe not wanting anything to do with us any longer?

2. What kind of jobs would you be in favor of bringing into Middletown and how would you go about drawing them to this town?

3. What do you see happening in the downtown area in the future? Do you think the PAC and this "arts theme" was a good idea and a wise use of taxpayer money? Why? Why not?

4. How do you feel about the city purchasing the downtown Thatcher buildings PRIOR to any signed deal with Cincy State to locate here? Wise use of taxpayer money in your opinion and why/why not?

5. How would you "broaden" the middle-class segment in Middletown? What would you do to attract people to live here again instead of finding ways to leave town as they seem to be doing at this point?

6. How will you help business owners, both large and small, recover from the neglect they have endured in receiving city support?

7. Prioritize for us, your focus if elected....IE. 1. streets and infrastructure. 2. job opportunities.....etc.

8. How do you feel about all the demolition of buildings and the seemingly endless numbers of empty lots being created around town?

9. How do you feel about what is thought to be excessive Section 8 in the city? Has it hurt or helped the city....how? What would you do to reduce the number if excessive?

10. Unlike the current council, will you help work with the schools to relieve them of some of the burden of the problems created by this "ghetto" mentality of the current council direction for the city?

11. Would you like to see people (other than Section 8) start streaming into town again? How would you attract them?

12. What would you do with the airport? City oversight or totally private and why?

Alot here. No pressure. Answer if you choose to.

Thank you in advance.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 3:16pm
Mr. Moore, I took the time to review your website and was impressed with your academic background and focus upon Habitat for huamnity, volunteer work, et al. I suppose you are one I assume from your web evaluation, you believe taxes need to be lowered in Middletown, to perhaps 1%, not increased to 2.25%, as Larry Mulligan, Dan Picard, and about every current council member supports, and city leadership, with the exception of Mr. Laubach. Can you provide specifics about position on the reversal of the tax ordinance, such as getting dedicated funds back to where they were in 1986, that no council member has touched since that period, why the city staff has grown since 1986, while revenues have shrunk, on a relevant (net present value) CPI basis at city hall? Do you support outsourcing certain departments---if so- WHY? if not---WHY NOT?

I know of no city in Ohio with taxes at 2.0% or above, that has a thriving economy and a growing population base, these include Hamilton, Youngstown, the dying "dogs" within Ohio, while the "stars" such as Mason and West Chester (with o% tax or 1%) accelerate in grwth and performance in all areas.

As you deal with economic restructuring and counseling, I would assume you agree section 8 and its use to mitigate hosuing stock, leads to other inherent problems which undue any advantage associated with its growth in Middletown, other than providing a paycheck for the Community and Stabilization Development Department . You are spot on with your point of the excess amount for utilities Middletown "hammers" its citizens, ergo, sewer, water, etc.

Very nice web presentation, strong on issues, a most credible candidate from my reading. 
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 4:33pm
While you usually make some sense acclaro, your evaluation of cities and their tax rate is misleading.  The affluent suburbs thrive largely because they were once greenspace near a population center and the housing boom brought affluent families, then in turn good schools and higher end amenities and stores, then some corporate office development, and then more families, etc.  They could keep the tax rate low because the growth, based on sheer luck of greenspace and proximity to a major city, made it possible. 

Aging urban cities have none of the above characteristics or advantages....at least not in the last 40 years they haven't.  So they keep tax rates at 1.75 or 2.0 to simply survive and provide a subsistence level of police/fire plus throw in a few street sweeps, pothole fillers, and of course 5-10 overpaid admin.  If they went to 1.0% the Mtowns, Mansfields and Y'towns would have something approaching anarchy with 20-30 cops patroling a whole town and someone just out of college playing role of City Mgr. for $70k.

Do you think a drastic reduction in our rate would cause business to flock here?  I doubt it.  Just like I doubt AK's leaving was PRIMARILY a tax rate issue. Your point is to try to establish causation, like Clinton-lovers did in mid to late 90's with the economy, and say that low taxes = success.  Not so fast my friend.  Just because Steelers, Patriots and Packers play in cold weather and win Super Bowls does not mean the two criteria are necessarily related.

Should our rate go to 2.0 or 2.2?  No.  But I also think 1.0 would be disastrous.  But maybe you, like many GOP'ers in the deficit talks, are looking to "starve the beast", results be damned.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 8:35pm
Has anyone worked with the city or state on a project?  You get a great view of work habit.  Those that write the checks and those that spend them.  NO words can cure this illness.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 9:04pm
Neil, I take comfort in knowing you occasionally find my opinion to be accurate. Lebanon, Franklin, and Monroe are hardly "new" cities, both quite historic with both being founded before the state in 1803, yet both have low tax rates, 1.5% I believe. Middletown's only hope for luring any business in, other thn the "baby step" initiative with State, is with abatements, competitive with other "greenfield" areas you state, or through bringing in non profits, which is where Middletown focuses so much energy, which don't pay property tax.

I dsiagree respectfully on the "greenfield" advantage, that is a feeble excuse to argue Middletown's problems are attributed to its inability to be attractive to industry in a mixed portfolio development sense, because it was old industry, industrial, and there was just no space. hardly true in the city which has property and buildings available and has for many years. I surely don't see an explosion out by the Renaissance, on the scale of the Teradata/ Kohl exit near Miamisburg and Springboro where CS&H are moving. What's not attracting those to the east end "greenspace" when the building model is "green"?

The point to be made was every council member and city leader wants Middletown's taxes to be 2.25%, which will put Middletown in the class of Youngstown, Mansfield, and the final death nail. The question poised to Mr. Moore and other candiates, was: are they on board with MMF's agenda to raise taxes, to make this area into Youngstown and Detroit, or lower the rate?

Middletown is not attracting growth in business nor newer residents. That is the tipping point of this election in 2011. You cannot have a bedroom community and taxes at 2.0%, you cannot have a mixed community of bedroom residential and business, at 2% taxation. Lower taxes mean growth. Take note of how many millionaires are leaving New York City because of taxes, and Chicagoland, (Illinois in general). Higher taxation, correlation direct- loss of tax revenue, loss of population, outflux, not influx. .  
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2011 at 10:53pm
I also would donate for the mailing.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 7:03am
What about an "Art tax", specifically in the area formerly known as downtown?
And/or small admission fee to first Fridays?
Anyone splurging on the expensive items in this publicly-subsidized area surely can afford an extra few % to help pay for these projects.
An additional 1% or greater sales tax on purchases?
An "event tax/charge" for banquets/meetings held in these subsidized buildings--by the head count or size of the event?
An additional fee for those using the taxpayer-owned former bank structures/Masonic or the Manchester?
Events at Smith Park and Governor's Square?

A building usage fee/tax for those using city-owned or purchased/sold properties?
An additional charge for property owners enjoying the more expensive decorative street lighting?

Come on--you have to pay to play in today's world(at least in most places).
If you want something extra, the user pays extra.
Those not reaping the extra benefit don't pay or pay far less.

Airport sur-charches--golf course sur-charges etc.
User fees are obviously most fair.
Since the city wants to fee the rest of us for virtually everything, maybe we can apply the concept to our most expensive ventures.
Pretty simple.
etmoore View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 1:09pm

Everyone,

Thanks for your questions.  You have given me a great deal to consider.  If anyone else would like to ask questions post them soon.  I’ll post responses within the next few days.  Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your remarks. 

Thanks,

Todd Moore

votetoddmoore.com
facebook.com/votetoddmoore
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 6:00pm

Are we out of the "City is dying" scenario yet?  Please clarify.  Are you comfortable that our current city manager is meeting or exceeding thier job description?  Please clarify.  Please clarify your vision for increasing revenues that will benefit the city and small business owners.  If it's already part of the "Master Plan" that was created,  please just tell me the page number.  Thanks

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 8:05pm
This so called master Plan would not earn a passing grade in a planning graduate program in urban planning or an MBA program in marketing. The answer is in the chapter dealing with economic development and its so macro oriented, this is nothing but a Mission statement throughout. That's how the Cincinnati State was "formulated".

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 10:27pm
No intent to make Mr. Moore  answer a trick question or look silly.  Just interested in his non-political view of the direction this city is heading.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic