FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kiwanis Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiwanis Forum
    Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 4:20am
I have not yet been able to watch the forum.  I hope that it will be available on BlipTV.

I understand that Mr. Nagy challenged the Mayor to a head-to-head debate, and that the Mayor accepted.  I was shocked, and doubt that the Mayor will actually agree to such a thing.

The Mayor has about as much chance of besting Mr. Nagy in a debate on the issues as Ms. Mort would have against Mr. Presta.

I would pay for a ticket, though, if it was for that double-header!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 6:43am
If true on the Nagy/Mulligan debate challenge, am surprised Mulligan accepted. In the past, he gave me the impression that he didn't have to do things like that, being so assured of his winning the election on MMF money backing and name recognition each time he ran. Wonder why he changed his mind this time. Wonder if it will really happen or is just some passification rhetoric on his part?

Now, I would really like to see a Presta/Mort debate. Would shed some light on how much Mort really knows about the issues as opposed to the PR gibberish/rose-colored crap we often hear from her about the city. How about it Ms. Mort. Are you prepared to debate the issues of the city?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 10:07am
A word of caution to Mike Presta, Paul Nagy, others whom have not heald office in Middletown. Of course it is self evident, you have to state a position and make points of differentiation. My cautionary words are to the heart of any small town campaign. Debates are not going to get alot of cloverage, I doubt if there are ever 1,000 people who watch TV Middletown. The debates got absolutely no coverage in the Journal, and you can bet the Journal will also give their endorsement to those who they have been told, are better known in town. They play it "politically correct."

Don't let the clock run out debating when few are tuning in, get out the playbook that gets out 10,000 voters who will vote for you, and get them to the polls. The debates will not do it. Maybe in a national election, but never in a local one.

Read where Weatherwax has lost > $ I Mm since the a990's, and averaging about $150,000 a year through 2016, beyond. What are they doing about it? Nothing. Where are the solutions, why not pay Greg Pratt another $80,000 to have AK pay a coprorate membership for all workers for $250,000, the Atroim and Premiere for $50,000, Magnode, $10,000., SunCoke $5,000, etc.

It is so obvious the speacial interests are getting the attention. Memo to ASJ: When and why is a top 10 Gold Course such as Weatherwax a benefit to Middletown, when it isn't bringing in buisnesses, and it is not a 'brand'. This is the problem with council, city leadership, and the team that runs the city. They just don't understand business, what drives it, how to turn it around.

Stay on message, its simple. Acknowledge Middletown has problems, and these notions that Cincinnati State are going to turn it around, are bogus. That's more than your incumbant opponent will ever concede, and that's your point of first differentiation. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

... get out the playbook that gets out 10,000 voters who will vote for you, and get them to the polls. ...
Hmm...perhaps I'll talk to my campaign manager about getting a van to make shuttle runs between some of the local taverns and the polls??? LOL LOL LOL

On a serious note: I like the idea of "corporate memberships" to Weatherwax. I don't know if it will fly, but it is certainly worthy of consideration!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 2:55pm
No offense intended. Simply meant better to campaign and get out your voters, than to rely on TV Middletown and a few venues to move up to grand heights in the polls. Unfortunately, Charlie Rose and Meet the Press aren't covering Middletown this election cycle (unless AJ Smith doesn't pay his $40,000 fine for campsign law violations). There is a fire sale on buildings downtown, why not throw in Weatherwax? Great drawl for MUM and C State faculty recruitment and retention.  
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 4:17pm

I attended the debate yesterday evening took some video that will be posted later.

My thoughts are that all the candidates did a great job. Mr. Nagy brought up a couple of good points about two brothers running and possible being on council together. I am sure there is nothing legally wrong with this, but to me it just doesn’t look right. I read that the Mayor accepted the invite to debate Paul, but actually what he said sounds like a good idea, I will think about that. That means no I think. I would love to see it and MUSA would be there for sure.

A few of the questions were pointless; issue 2 was a waste of 10 minutes as no one really answered the question. The section 8 talk was, just what it always has been from current members …talk. I do agree with Mr. Pickard that there is no easy fix, none that will save the city over night. I also agree with him on the downtown topic. Certain nights you drive downtown and it is jammed packed with people. But it doesn’t change the fat that on the same street or over one street is some of the biggest crime areas in town. I drive Central almost daily and see some strange things going on.

While I do think there should be a time limit on responses, some of the issues being addressed cannot be answered in such a short time. Not sure how you fix this, but I would really like to hear more from each person running. I would like to see people ask questions direct to a candidate fill out a card walk to the podium and ask away.

In my opinion there are some really good candidates running, and some that have no business being up there at all. I am hoping that at the next forum the questions asked will be tougher and get to the heart  of what is wrong in this town. 

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 5:14pm
Acclaro,

Absolutely no offense taken!!!  I was just trying to lighten things up by introducing a little levity (apparently very little) at my own expense.

But I was serious about thinking your suggestion regarding corporate sponsorships for Weatherwax having merit.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 5:28pm
Mike, when I saw the fact it had cost the city about $1.6 Mm, it just seemed the city wasn't looking at ways to mitigate their finnacial exposure. I comprehend the legal aspects Mr. Adkins made reference associated with a public entity getting the property tax break, but between Miller Brewer in Trenton, MUM, AK Steel, the Atrium, all those businesses in West Chester, I would think there is a manner to unloaf Weatherwax and at least recover the debt service and income lost. Goodness, AK used to have a park, maybe have it bought by them for their employees in Middletown and West Chester, great recruiting tool. It surely isn't benefiting the city and only a handful of its citizens. Perhaps Butler Cty would want in the action---a county public course, not a city? Where's the creative thinking here?

With the debt service at Weatherwax, airport, Cincinnati State, and Atrium (as well as Neyer), that tally is up north of $5 Mm, pretty hefty. Too many $$$ going out, too few $$$ coming in.

Maybe they could lease it to HEP, who packages to to C State? Thinking out of box, instead of inside it, always helps.   
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2011 at 1:15am
Mullethead Mulligan wont debate Mr. Nagy,he knows his goose would be cooked.Big%20smile
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2011 at 11:11am
With absolutely no disrepect intended to Mr. Mulligan, as he is a bright man, and all, why would a debate be necessary? If you read his campaign literature done in the Notre Dame green (go Irish!), it says he is a man with standing in the community, he is educated, he comes from a good fa,ily, and he cares about Middletown. But what has in he done in four years that is not addresses in his campaign literature? He says nothing about an accomplishment of any sort, but vote for him because he has standing and is educated.

Agreed, he has an honorable family. Agreed, Miami U is a fine school, and got to love the top 20 ranking in accounting and finance. Agreed his family is well known in Middletown. But what has he done?

By his own brochure, he has indicated he has accomplished nothing. A nice man, but he is also educated. He is a commercial banker. Do commercial bankers give loans without doing due diligence, checking the income level and crdit score, Moody's rating? I don't think so. Why then, did he not apply that knowledge in the Cincinnati State dealings, with the airport, with the golf course, and so many other financial decisons he has specific and notable epertise to bring to the table?

Mr. Nagy doesn't need to debate Mr. Mulligan, he just needs to have considerable name recognition, and say, if elected, unlike the present Mayor, I promise you I will work for the people, all residents, and I will have a few significant accomplishments at the end of my term.

That statement and campaign promise, is more than Mr. Mulligan delivered in four years on council and as Mayor, and his own campaign material confirms such.

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2011 at 9:24pm
Lets not forget these folks stepped up.  I didn't see a line of folks waiting on seats last Thurs. night when I watched the forum on TVM. Change the world in 4yrs?  7 people making everyone happy ?  Caught up in the machine of "Making everyone happy".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic