FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMF and the "opera" house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
VictoiranLover View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMF and the "opera" house
    Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

No tunnels connect any of the structures on S. Main for human travel. There may be old sewer lines, but that's it. As far as tunnels on the Sorg Mansion property connecting the 3 structures there, I don't know about that. As for skipping to my lou down Main St... it never happened.

I checked with the City Engineer about the tunnels and the reason the house was taken off the market the end of March 2013, the flooding and burst pipe, and he also had heard of the rumored tunnels but had no drawings or any proof of such.  He doubted they still exist, if they ever did, due to all the utility construction over the past 125+ years.  Regardless he did not think they would add to any flooding issues.         In regards to the flooding he also had not heard of any recent flooding issues.  There are combined storm/sewer lines in that area but he said it would take a monumental rain to cause any backup issues. These storm/sewer lines are NOT made for travel.  Also, the downtown is protected from the river by levees built after the great flooding of 1913.  He assured me that any downtown flooding would be something of a very rare event indeed.
     If you are an elite member of society, as Paul Sorg was, I highly doubt you would travel underground. Even if entertaining, Paul would be proud to show off his city. He would travel above ground. Paul also died before completion of the renovations of the Mansion in 1902, and Jennie barely used the house and chose to use her son Paul J Sorgs house when she was in town.  If said tunnels exist how would you get the horse and carriage above and below ground once you get home, to the bank, to the opera house? It is highly unlikely that such folklore is evident.
     I have been in the house after it went up for sale, I spent time in the basement and no where did the stacked stone foundation show any such proof of a tunnel that was covered over.  The 2 boilers in the carriage house are the size of a train engine. The second boiler was NEVER fired it was there for redundancy. The boilers sit below ground level and have an 8-10 inch main that lead into the main house for heat. I was told that the snow never accumulated over the area that the pipe ran. The steam from the pipe kept the ground from freezing. The house has a complex amount of chimneys, cold air returns, and heat ducts. They work in combination with the steam heat, radiators, and multiple fireplaces. There was a separate smaller boiler in the house that was installed for the conservatory that Mrs Sorg had, and was removed at a later date after the sale of the house. I have also read that there was a power station in the carriage house that powered the Sorg Estate, the US Hotel, and the Sorg Opera House. That is another part of Middletown folklore. 
VictoiranLover View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 9:07pm
     I checked with the City Engineer about the tunnels and the reason the house was taken off the market the end of March 2013, the flooding and burst pipe, and he also had heard of the rumored tunnels but had no drawings or any proof of such.  He doubted they still exist, if they ever did, due to all the utility construction over the past 125+ years.  Regardless he did not think they would add to any flooding issues.   
     In regards to the flooding he also had not heard of any recent flooding issues.  There are combined storm/sewer lines in that area but he said it would take a monumental rain to cause any backup issues. These storm/sewer lines are NOT made for travel.  Also, the downtown is protected from the river by levees built after the great flooding of 1913.  He assured me that any downtown flooding would be something of a very rare event indeed.
     If you are an elite member of society, as Paul Sorg was, I highly doubt you would travel underground. Even if entertaining, Paul would be proud to show off his city. He would travel above ground. Paul also died before completion of the renovations of the Mansion in 1902, and Jennie barely used the house and chose to use her son Paul J Sorgs house when she was in town.  If said tunnels exist how would you get the horse and carriage above and below ground once you get home, to the bank, to the opera house? It is highly unlikely that such folklore is evident.
     I have been in the house after it went up for sale, I spent time in the basement and no where did the stacked stone foundation show any such proof of a tunnel that was covered over.  The 2 boilers in the carriage house are the size of a train engine. The second boiler was NEVER fired it was there for redundancy. The boilers sit below ground level and have an 8-10 inch main that lead into the main house for heat. I was told that the snow never accumulated over the area that the pipe ran. The steam from the pipe kept the ground from freezing. The house has a complex amount of chimneys, cold air returns, and heat ducts. They work in combination with the steam heat, radiators, and multiple fireplaces. There was a separate smaller boiler in the house that was installed for the conservatory that Mrs Sorg had, and was removed at a later date after the sale of the house. I have also read that there was a power station in the carriage house that powered the Sorg Estate, the US Hotel, and the Sorg Opera House. That is another part of Middletown folklore. 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 5:44pm

Tony
    I haven’t been in this building for several years so I would say the 2.5 million would just bring it up to code and bring it to working condition so you could rent the space. I believe if you did a complete restoration you would need another million and also hundreds of hours of volunteer labor. As you know when you start getting in custom work you pay the big bucks.
    It is now owned by the company that is listed on the
Butler County web site. So what they are going to do with is unknown at this time.
    Tony I had a conversation just the other day about this subject and suggested that all the Arts Groups should go together in one building so they could pool their resources (like the Sorg Opera House) and I was told point blank that it would never work…that each group deserved and wanted their own space. So if that is the mind set I don’t know how one Art Group could restore and support a building as large as the Sorg Opera House.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 4:00pm
Vivian,
I wonder if the estimate was just to restore the theater portion of the building and not the "commercial" front part. Either way, $2.5M is what I've heard for a while now. I would be interested in what that estimate entailed. Is it a complete restoration or just a "working" i.e., profitable, restoration? I also wonder if someone else might now bid on the building. Time will tell. Does seem a little short-sighted to have an "arts" district and not have a venue for the performing arts. JMO.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 2:49pm

Here is the latest info on the Sorg Opera House that has been confirmed by City Hall
MMF received an estimate of 2.5 million to restore the Sorg Opera House so MMF removed their bid. To be honest I'm surprised it wasn't more.
I believe it will cost about a million dollars to demo this property.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 12:57pm
Vivian,

I would like to believe that a new organization will have success with a new image of downtown. However, wait and watch would not be my first choice. If Downtown Middletown Inc. gets the support of the property owners, they stand a fair chance. To that end, I would encourage them to engage in some outreach to those owners and to investors who could purchase the city owned real estate in the downtown area. It might also behoove them to have a series of public meetings to get citizen input and mobilize non-profit participation and coordination in the downtown. A plan that the public can support that is financed by private interests would be the best hope to a revitalized downtown.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 10:54am
Tony
Downtown Middletown Inc., is now in charge of changing the image and selling downtown. I guess we will just need to wait and watch the majic happen.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 8:24am
Vivian,

What, city leaders saying something and then not following through? Who could ever imagine that?

Once again, say something, throw out a little smoke screen and then hope that everyone forgets about it. MMF obviously has its own timetable, plans and doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag until it's ready for their "expert" analysis. At that point, they will declare the building "unprofitable" and move to demolish. The longer they conceal their intent, the less likely anyone else could interfere. I'll say it again, whoever does the public relations for the city and/or MMF needs to be fired!!!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 6:15am
Gentlemen
In January we were told that we would know the fate of the Sorg Opera House in February. Well February has come and gone and
we still have no answers about what will happen to the Sorg Opera House.
On
January 26, 2012 the City wrote a $75,000 to Middletown Moving Forward and the check cleared the bank February 3, 2012

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 2:30pm
acclaro,

I guess someone should tell MMF that they are not a CIC so they can remove that designation from their website!!! As for other non-profits in the city, I can think of a few more than you mentioned who might be interested in getting some money from the city. This whole "are they or are they not" mess demonstrates yet again the "half-a**" approach our city seems to take concerning economic development. Does anybody on council pay attention to what the administration is doing?

On another note, they want to use the Opera House as a dormitory? If they had any brains, they'd rehab the Commercial Building portion to make the building at least revenue neutral. There were plenty of businesses in the building before!!! I believe that was the whole purpose for putting office and commercial space in the front portion of the building. Does anyone have any idea who is putting together the estimate for rehab of the building? Once again, to many unanswered questions and very little due diligence being done.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 1:59pm
At the risk of being repetitive, I offer the following. There is a MAJOR distinction between a CIC and a simple NFP. A CIC is a legal entity which is a NFP, but which focuses solely uoin economic development and betterment for a county or municipality, or city, village, etc. The sole missions and charter of a NFP is based upon two prongs: 1) social advancement (arts, quality of life, education, et al 2) charitable giving.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 12:17pm

In December 2011 when I did the research on the new “Downtown Middletown, Inc.” they told me if I needed more information that I should contact Mike Robinett. So how many NFP’s do we need for the downtown? This entire story is beginning to smell like our sewers.

Now we are being told that Middletown Moving Forward is not a CIC but a NFP
While all research and the City web page indicated that MMF was a CIC.

Sit back and watch the City Council meeting again because it is clear to me that the majority of the City Council Members believed that MMF was a CIC. Anita Scott Jones clearly states that she has did research on “OTHER CIC’s”.  Mr Mulligan, Mr Becker, Les Landen nor Ms Judy corrected her statement.

How can the council memebers vote on the important matters that come before them if the City Manager withholds such important facts from them?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 12:14pm

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 11:53am
sj, when you add living accommodations for students, student financial aid greatly increases in comparision to the added expense, but a state school under a Pell Grant, can only authorize a defined amount as determined by the fed. It is less for a freshmen than a senior, but it would still force a student to borro more money, that would not be covered by a grant. In other words, a community college or regional, has a mission that it is a commuter school, with limited or non existent housing facilities. WSU has a very limited facility for married students. One could argue there may be a need for married student housing for C State, but they have several hurdles before them. Firstly, the state AG has to make the determination the % service fee is legal with State and HEP. Secondly, State has to define its curriculum, which they are no where near beginning. The State/ city fascination is all hat, no cattle.

As for CIC vs NFP, as a NFP can be sued, I really see no benefit for the entity not to be a CIC, as either way, the individuals are protected from personal liability. At the end of the day, Downtown Middletown Inc., Middletown Inc., MMF, offer tax advantages, protection from liability, but will have limited impact upon Middletown as a whole.     
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 11:26am
We also have MORE than enough vacant buildings in town
Particularly in the area formerly known as "downtown".
Which causes more problems and expense?
Empty buildings or empty lots?

Suppose that the former Sorg Opera House is purchased--extensive architectural re-model plans are drafted-the fix is made at a VERY high cost to the taxpayer
Who then owns the building?
What would go on there that is cost effective justifying the entire project and expense?

Mr.Cohen mentions dormitories for Cincy St students(primarily a commuter schoolmade up of older less-advantaged students). Does the large primary campus have adjacent "dormitories"?
MU-M is much larger, and has been established much longer, yet nothing similar exists or seems to be necessary for that successful campus.

Hopefully the next Council session will address the confusion surrounding the MMF CIC situation.
Maybe Mr.Cohen, Mr.Martin and Mr.Sawyer can return to give us their own explanation of what has occurred during the life of this organization.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:40am
Mr. P,

I disagree with you about the historical significance of the Sorg Opera House but that is really a trivial argument (imo). You do correctly point out that the Opera House was built with private funds. It was a "gift" by Mr. Sorg to the citizens of Middletown for the cultural enrichment of the town; something that the philanthropic wealthy of the time did for their communities. The Opera House and the Sorg House are the only tangible legacy left by Mr. Sorg to the city.

I've made no secret that I thought the Opera House should be purchased as part of the "arts community" theme that the city has for the downtown area. Unfortunately, the city has once again put the cart before the horse. Why would the city give $75k to an organization that didn't even know if it was feasible and "cost effective" to rehab the building?!!! Plus, if they determine that it isn't in the best interest for the city to do the rehab, why the rush to tear it down? I'm sure that the city could find an interested buyer and give them the same deal they gave the Moorman's and Verdin if they made an effort. Of course, "making an effort" doesn't really seem to be this city' strong suit!!!

The real kicker in all of this is that MMF is actually the right group to do this if they were actually a legitimate organization. Because they are not, I see another expensive mess for the taxpayers unless some private entity steps in and takes over. While I don't see that happening at the moment, my hope is that someone will see the potential in the building. Mr. Finkleman ran the building for profit for many years and while some didn't always agree with his approach, it can't be denied that he was responsible for keeping the Opera House a going venture. There has been enough demolition of property in this town. It's time for MMF and the businesspersons involved with it to live up to the words on their website and work toward economic development instead of demolition. We have enough vacant lots in town!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:35am
I remain a bit confused on this whole issue of a CIC vs a NFP. A CIC is a NFP entity, it simply states as a mandate and focus, it partners a municipal government with the private sector for funding and other activities that churn economic growth. Since that is the mission of MMF CIC, or MMF, Inc, or is it now downtown Middletown, Inc., it would seem logical they would need to be a CIC when they pass money to invest or loan.

I recall the Atrium arguing as a non profit, they did not have to pay property taxes to Franklin, which impacted schools. What LL apparently was stating was a non profit entity still has to pay property taxes, so the city is on the hook for property taxes for the Manchester, and the other buildings. But, that runs in contradiction to what the Atrium was stating about its own property taxes. I believe and will do due diligence, a non profit pays payroll taxes, but not property taxes. That was the position of the Atrium. Mike, I call your attention to the following regarding NFP status and ramifications for property taxes:State
  • The Secretary of State’s Legal Guide for Nonprofit Organizations provides information on how to obtain corporate income, sales, and property tax exemptions for your nonprofit corporation.
  • To Obtain Ohio Franchise Tax and Sales Tax Exemptions: Nonprofit organizations (except agricultural and consumer cooperatives) are exempt from the corporation franchise tax.  501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations are exempt from sales taxes. Sales and use tax blanket exemption certificates (form STEC-B) are to be provided to vendors.
Tax Commissioner’s Office
30 East Broad Street
22nd Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Information: (888) 405-4039
Fax: (614) 466-6401
Web Site: tax.ohio.gov/channels/other/business.stm
c)    Local
  • Your nonprofit organization may be exempt from paying property taxes on property it owns or leases. Such exemptions vary widely by location; check with the tax assessor of your local government (town or city hall, or the seat of county government) to find out how to apply for applicable exemptions.
viii)    Register with the Ohio Attorney General
a)    Within 6 months of creating a nonprofit organization, all organizations must register with the Ohio Attorney General by submitting Form CFR-1 and copies of the 501(c)(3) Determination Letter from the IRS, Articles of Incorporation, and Bylaws to:
Office of the Attorney General
Charitable Law Section
150 East Gay Street, 23 rd Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3130
Information: (614) 466-3180
Web Site: www.ag.state.oh.us
Filing Fee: $0

b)    In order to solicit contributions in Ohio, nonprofit organizations must first register with the Ohio Attorney General by submitting a Charitable Organization Registration Statement along with copies of the 501(c)(3) Determination Letter from the IRS, Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, and a copy of IRS Form 990 to:
Office of the Attorney General
Charitable Law Section
150 East Gay Street, 23 rd Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3130
Information: (614) 466-3180
Web Site: www.ag.state.oh.us
Filing Fee: $0-$200 depending on contributions received
Note:    If contributions < $5,000: Filing Fee = $0
If contributions >= $5,000 but < $25,000: Filing Fee = $50
If contributions >= $25,000 but < $50,000: Filing Fee = $100
If contributions >= $50,000: Filing Fee = $200
Filing must be notarized.

The registration of an article of incorporation may materialize before a CIC, but if operating as a CIC, the statutes covering the CIC must be adhered, that is, keeping records, filing annual reports (even when no funds are accumulated, et al).

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Crazy
A CIC incorporates as a non-profit.

You better explain that to Law Director Landen.  That is definitely NOT the way he explained it to City Council at the December meeting. LOL LOL LOL

I sit corrected!!!  Mr. Landen explained that the payment of PROPERTY TAXES was not dependent upon whether or not they were a non-profit or for-profit corporation.

My apologies to Middletown29!  Embarrassed

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:11am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Mike, you mentioned LL stated they had to set up what was oce MMF CIC as Middletown, Inc. as a non profit. ...  

Acclaro,

In fact, MMF did file their “Initial Articles of Incorporation” as a NON-PROFIT under ORC 1702 with the State of Ohio on May 31, 2005, and was certified as such by Secretary of State Ken Blackwell on June 7.  Les Landen accepted the appointment as the original statutory agent at that time.  Landen was succeeded by Mike Robinette in a document filed March 17, 2010.

I cannot answer the rest of your questions, nor can I find the answers anywhere else.  Perhaps we could file a request under FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) if only we knew who the statutory agent is.  By doing so and getting a copy of the articles of incorporation and by-laws, perhaps we could better understand their purpose or what sort of “opportunities” they plan to “exercise”.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 9:39am
Mike, you mentioned LL stated they had to set up what was oce MMF CIC as Middletown, Inc. as a non profit. Are you suggesting they did this based upon first becoming a registered non profit? Then, is the assertion they would file as a CIC? MMF is not registered anywhere within Ohio as a CIC, they have no record of such filing.

The big question is why did the city state they were a CIC if they were not for 6 years. Why did they only generate $10,000, and where and when did those funds appear? More importantly, if this is just a non profit now, they can't make a net return, and why are they )city) giving money to buy property when that is the function of a CIC? Why did the city name as its agent, an Economic Development Director, if they had no intention of being a CIC? Finally, why did the city initiate this NFP as it causes the perception of a conflict, as providing funds to a NFP has no more validity to Middletown, Inc. than writing a check on behalf of the city and giving it to the United Way Campaign. Did the city take the remaining balance of about $16,000 that AK Steel gave for the pools, and give it to the newly discovered NFP?

I'm sorry, but I see this waffling from a CIC to a NFP as a means to avoid certain aspects of transparency of a CIC, although as a NFP, the scrutiny and open minutes is even more strict than a CIC.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 7:51am
Agreed, Spiderjohn!!!
The most historic aspect of "Sorg" was in the industrial buildings and machinery that have been demolished with nary a whimper out of the the local "historians".

The most "historic" thing about his opera house???  It was the first in Ohio in a town of this size.  Nothing more, nothing less.  (Unless you count that it was built and maintained with PRIVATE funds, and was NOT a burden to the taxpayers, nor was it intended to be...at least until now.  Paul Sorg is probably rolling over in his grave.)
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 7:23am
Historic

imo there is very little "historic" about the remaining structures lining a two-block area in the formerly downtown area of S Main St.

The "history" lies within the visions, efforts, businesses and patrons of the long-gone individuals who made this area a retail/service/entertainment mecca DECADES ago. The "history" lies in the PEOPLE, their ideas and success stories.

Well--those people are long gone--along with most of the former large employers who paid far above a living wage to high-school educated citizens, who in turn, were very able to provide for their families and support these economic engine businesses. This former system has since been replaced by govt.-driven and subsidized "businesses" and citizens who are neither profitable, successful or even functional without regular and large bureaucratic funding(hand-outs).

You cannot revive a dead entity.
You can praise and mourn for it.
Eventually you must bury it.
Then you must replace it.

So it goes for our aged, disfunctional buildings in the former downtown area.
They have been kept dormant and dead beyond their lifespan and usefulness.
They have not been properly maintained, and any "fix" is probably cost-prohibitive for any truely constuctive and contributory use IMO. They can also be dangerous fire hazards and invitations for criminality. Just this week, a prisoner escaped from the local jail. He was quickly found hiding on the citizen-owned property of the former Manchester Inn.

Should we finally move ahead by "selling" these buildings for an even or profitable financial situation, leaving the privare sector to deal with the probable levelling of these structures, and opening the way for a move into the future?

Our local govt. has not been able to create a self-supporting economy in that area. I assume that EVERYONE can grudgingly agree to that. Time to quit clenching to some past legacy and move on to the possibilities of a new modern beginning.

end of morning rant
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Crazy

You better explain that to Law Director Landen.  That is definitely NOT the way he explained it to City Council at the December meeting. LOL LOL LOL

Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 6:19am
Crazy
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 6:22pm
crazycatcher,

If you'd read any of the 75 posts up to this one, you'll see that I am not a lawyer. I can, however; read. I suggest you read the law concerning non-profits that acclaro posted. You might also try reading statute 1724 regarding CIC's. Once you've done that (it is no fun trying to digest all that legal terminology which is why I'm not a lawyer), go back and examine the facts involved here. There is a serious attempt here to obfuscate what Middletown Moving Forward is and whether they are, in fact; a legal entity and a city board. They are attempting to take control of a 120 year old building with absolutely no idea of what they are going to do with it!!! Furthermore, they have just received $75k of taxpayer money to do this!!!

Law is open to interpretation but that interpretation has little to do with "feelings". How things should be and what they really are bear little resemblance with each other. The people involved in MMF are business people, city administration and elected officials. According to the website for MMF, which is listed as a City of Middletown document; they are supposed to be responsible for directing the city's economic development priorities. If they can't follow the laws and reporting requirements, they should not be given city funds. Since they have never registered with the state Auditor's office as a CIC, our city has given an illegal entity taxpayer funds. That you would come on here and try to explain it all away with bs seems (to me) like a smokescreen to hide what has been done. As for knowing something, it's pretty obvious to me you know a lot more than what you're telling us with your posts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic