FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMF and the "opera" house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 10:47am
acclaro,

I've been asking that question for a while now and it seems you've confirmed my suspicions. I'm wondering will the Secretary of State have the political will to declare this organization null and void. That's when things will get very interesting!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 11:13am
Cities of the underworld

Underneath Historic Middletown, Ohio lies an underground world of tunnels from the Sorg era.

It would be great if we could get Don Wildman to do a story in Middletown. I'd love to see those tunnels.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 11:22am

Gentlemen
It seems that MMF received a $10,000 grant when they went to the “Place Matter” conference in
Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 2009.
If in fact this is the case then MMF should have been filing with the state every year…OR were these funds being held in the City coffers?

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Cities of the underworld

Underneath Historic Middletown, Ohio lies an underground world of tunnels from the Sorg era.

It would be great if we could get Don Wildman to do a story in Middletown. I'd love to see those tunnels.

This is hearsay and has never been proven.  George Crout was notorious for quoting this in fact, when in fact, it's my understand he had never seen the tunnels.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 12:21pm

Years ago Harry told me that the tunnel from the Sorg House to their daughters house across the street (Rachel I) had been sealed off many years ago.

NOLA View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 12:27pm
I've looked numerous times through the building; in the basement, under the stage which still has charred wooden joists from the fire years ago. there is some repaired brick in the front of the basement foundation however this is more consistent with alterations for utilities. Ive never found anything I would consider a possible tunnel entrance.   I have been told the old Sorg Paper did have utility tunnels that provider steam heat to buildings on Main St.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 1:17pm
Vivian, there was a book in the Ohio History Room at the library which had the address of 211 South Main for the Sorg's daughter's home. It sits right across from Sorg Mansion and almost looks like it is on Yankee Rd. I never heard of the Sorg's owning Rachel House I. I wonder if Harry got these two mixed up.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by NOLA NOLA wrote:

I've looked numerous times through the building; in the basement, under the stage which still has charred wooden joists from the fire years ago. there is some repaired brick in the front of the basement foundation however this is more consistent with alterations for utilities. Ive never found anything I would consider a possible tunnel entrance.   I have been told the old Sorg Paper did have utility tunnels that provider steam heat to buildings on Main St.

Actually there is a tunnel running from the Sorg Opera House to the Sorg Mansion. It was a carriage tunnel.
I worked construction in the summers during college in the early 1980's when then owner Harry Finkleman was still very active in the real estate market and we did work on the Opera House. We did work that had us in the basement frequently and there were indeed carriage doors and a passage way inside the basement.
I didn't actually make the journey from one building to the next, but they were there.
Their purpose could have been for numerous things, none of which had to be negative or sinister. Inclement weather or privacy from the mansion to the Opera House for distinquished guests are two that come to mind.

I used to live in this place. My girlfriend at that time and I rented an apartment there. We had the one that was originally the library. The woodworking and masonry in the place is awesome. Also thought the gargoyles were a nice touch. Guess there used to be more of them, but there was one or two in the basement that had fallen. From what I understand they had tried to put them back up but they fell again. So, they just put them in the basement.

Speaking of the basement, there was a tunnel in the basement leading to what used to be the servants quarters. Never got a chance to check it out cause they had it sealed off and locked. Believe they had said something about bats and I don't know maybe just not structurally sound anymore. Not sure, but never got to venture into the tunnel

Excerpts from www.flickr.com photo sharing when sorg opera house tunnels is typed in google. Just FYI.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 3:48pm
No tunnels connect any of the structures on S. Main for human travel. There may be old sewer lines, but that's it. As far as tunnels on the Sorg Mansion property connecting the 3 structures there, I don't know about that. As for skipping to my lou down Main St... it never happened.
NOLA View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 4:50pm
Nice pics Vet; I also found other Fliker photos (wowWorks) of the interior discussing the tunnels and this person stated the tunnels don't exist; primarily that no preson of the Sorgs promince would want to travel in such a poor enviorment. If it was a carriage tunnel, I'm sure photos of the above ground entrance for the horses and carriage could be located. With the sewer system which had been established by 1890, it would also pose a problem with odors and potential migration into the tunnel.

I never saw the doors in the basement but I wonder if they were utility doors that allowed boilers, equipment etc. to be lowered into the basement from openings that were in the sidewalk.   This would be common practice for the period.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2012 at 8:55am
All MMF actions are null and void due to the lack of public notice of their meeting. A legal action can be filed and MMF would be required to pay for all legal cost. Come on MMF complainers take them on.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2012 at 1:58pm
When I checked out the Sorg house last year, there was a big room sort of behind the carriage house that had contained some huge equipment. You could go down into the pit where the big boilers were located (I didn't though) and the pipes went to the house and also to another location. I don't know if those would be the "tunnels" that people mention all the time. I never saw any evidence of any tunnels in the basement of the sorg house itself. I agree that if any tunnels did exist, they were not for people to use all the time. They would be for running steam pipes or something of that nature. I guess if someone really wanted to, they could use them to get to one spot to another.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2012 at 2:11pm
M29,

According to MMF, they are not a city board so the open meeting laws don't apply to them. The legal action against MMF should be undertaken by the Ohio Secretary of State once the Auditor of State certifies that MMF is non-compliant with the financial reporting requirements of the law governing CICs. I don't know if a complaint has to be filed but I'm sure someone would do it!!!
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2012 at 8:11am
MMF is subject to open meeting and public records law. All of there actions taken without public notice are null and void.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2012 at 9:40am
Middletown29:  You are dull and we are annoyed.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2012 at 6:18pm
Why label yourself (group) a CIC if a NFP?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

It appears MMF CIC is stating that they never existed until recently, after awarding $75,000 to a few people to buy property already bought by another group, and never raised a dime in the 6 years or more it was in existence and advertised on the city website. Amazing---a group with movers and shakers raises no money in 6 years with a focus upon economic development. Hence, no $$$ in, no need to file an annual report, as they apparently indicated they never existed. Up is down, east is west, and on and on it continues the saga of Dorothy and Toto in Oz.

Hard to say you never existed when you have had a website for several years. If they did receive funds into their organization over the years, and failed to report those funds, there must be some legal issues here for failing to report those funds as a CIC, correct? Furthermore, how in the world can you claim to be in the business of economic development and not raise any money to fund that development, particularly for as long as they have been in existence? Wouldn't these be questions the Sec. of State or Attorney General in Ohio need to ask? Seems a bit odd wouldn't you say? Almost seems this Middletown Moving Forward website and member association is a front for other activity (illegal perhaps?) that is the true reason for their existence with perhaps "behind the scenes" dealings with the city leaders. This whole "secretive" activity with a website front just seems "askew". Just speculating here. Hizzoner Lawrence Mulligan the Third will never tell. Just gives us that "Stanley Laurel" smile with no commitments for truth telling. Quite amusing actually. Cohen's the dangerous one.
Dooraghero View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dooraghero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 6:29am
LOL  Maybe the city can build a streetcar to nowhere like in downtown Cincinnati.  It's a pretty quick way to waste funds both in the initial construction and subsequent maintenance and subsidizing.  It's the gift to tax payers that will keep on taking, and taking and taking . . .     Sounds like something Council would be itching to do in order to round out their "historic district."
Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance,just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they'll never take our FREEDOM
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 7:08am
The organization, their actions and members, and the city's responses and involvement are too convenient and contradictory to be explained , believed or taken with any faith whatsoever.

Oz, acclaro?
So---who really is the Wizard around here?
We know that they are all smoke and hype
There is no place like home!

Kinda reminds me of Alice in Wonderland with all of the bizarre actions.
We know the identity of the Queen of Hearts though.

Can it get any more strange around here?
Of course it can.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 7:10am
The idea that MMF never existed until now is absurd!!! Not only do they have a web site with the names of councilpersons no longer on council, there is an ordinance that makes MMF the CIC of Middletown. Who is perpetrating such an outrageous lie?!!! If these "officials" would take a moment to read the law concerning CIC's, they would find that there is a simple remedy to their problem; simply file annual financial reports since their inception!!! Of course, when contempt of the law is such a common practice that those elected to serve the public become the masters, there is no need to follow the law. They have such a fine example of fascism at the federal level that they seem to want to extend its benefits to all of us. Why follow the law? Besides, for the ruling elites, they're just "suggestions"!!!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 7:43am
I just spent a few minutes at the city's web site and went through council agendas on line. MMF is is a documented entity in City Council minutes beginning in 2007. Therefore; the idea that they didn't exist until recently is absurd. The financial requirements for a CIC are such that they are required to file an annual financial report even if they took in no money!!! This organization, in effect, does not exist!!! Now, all that needs be done is have the Ohio Secretary of State decertify this organization.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 4:28pm
It lies within the Auditor's Office, not State.

crazycatcher View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazycatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 5:17pm
OK all of you conspiracy theorists. MMF, INC. DOES exist. It was incorporated 06/07/05 it is not up for renewal until 03/17/2015. On March 17, 2010 they filed for their statement of continued existence. Mike Robinette is their current statutory agent (but that really means nothing.) Oh, all of this is indeed registered with the Secretary of State's office. They are registered as a not for profit Corporation Those of you that seem to have an inside track to what is going on might want to check on your sources.For those of you stuck on the notion or idea of what a C.I.C. is visit this website for more information.
http://www.eco-connect.org/who-we-are/what-is-cic/
I think and please do not quote me when I say the definition and the idea of a C.I.C. was only used in describing how MMF was working not that they actually are one. I really could care less.
As for all the talk about not for profits and what they are required to report, etc.Basically, not for profits are not required to report anything unless asked by the state or you. Organizations that used to publish their minutes in the newspaper did it out of courtesy, I believe. However, with that said all NFP's are an open book. You can request minutes, finacial reports, etc. But those NFP's can charge you a fee to view copies of those documents (making t sometimes very pricey and a nuisannce). Also, NFP meetings do not need to be open to the public unless there is a membership involved and then they are only required to have one meeting a year.
I hope some of this clears up the many questions and concerns I have been reading about concerning NFP's. Many times, NFP's are no different than for profit's it all lies in the by-laws, they can be tricky.
Have a nice day
Smile

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 5:24pm
acclaro,

According to the state law concerning CICs, it's the Auditor's job to inform the Secretary of State that a CIC has been delinquent in filing annual financial reports. It then falls to the Secretary of State to decertify the non-profit CIC. (At least, that was the way I read the law; I'm sure a real attorney could give a proper reading) There is nothing in the law that says just because you didn't raise funds that you don't have to file. Additionally, where did MMF get the $10k? There should have been some filing to reflect that fundraising.

If they're not an active entity, why did the city give them money? How can they claim not to be a city board if they are, in fact; the CIC for the City of Middletown? How could members of city council and city administration not know the requirements of the law? I can think of a number of questions but I have no confidence that any answers are forthcoming; at least, not until MMF decides whether to save or demolish the Sorg Opera House. Then there will be some kind of bs explanation about the whole thing. This whole thing smells of corruption. Where is our newspaper of record? Shouldn't there be some journalistic investigation? Of course, since the inception of "good news only" reporting in Middletown, I doubt that anyone associated with the Middletown Journal will be interested. I wonder if one of the Cincinnati TV stations could be interested in this. After all, the same architect who designed Music Hall designed the Sorg Opera House. Something needs to be done about this!!!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 5:34pm
crazycatcher,

You are incorrect when you state that non-profit's who are the CIC of a city don't have to file a financial report. Go read the statute. It states very clearly the reporting requirements. Plus, you are mistaken when you say the MMF is not the CIC for the city. There website states that they are, in fact; the CIC for the city of Middletown.

I'm concerned that you, sir; are trying to provide a smokescreen for this blatant disregard for the law. I'd be very interested in exactly who you are and why you are trying to do this. Your post seems to be an attempt to divert attention and deny obvious facts. Are you covering up for law breakers or are you following the directions of someone else? Get your facts straight and your answers in order before you try such bs again!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic