FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950 Lustron Home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1950 Lustron Home
    Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 5:47am

We have numerous Lustron Homes in our community. All the interior walls in these homes were porcelain on steel also.

Help furnish ’50s house at museum

Public is being asked 
to provide items for the recreated prefab home

Associated Press 10:42 PM Sunday, January 1, 2012

COLUMBUS — For an upcoming exhibit, the state’s history museum will recreate an entire 1950s prefab home that has an Ohio connection, and the public is being asked to help furnish it.
    “What we’re looking for are hands-on objects, knickknacks, things from everyday life, anything that would have been in your house,” said Cameron Wood, history curator at the
Ohio Historical Center
    The kinds of things the museum is looking for include comic books, toys and games, household appliances, furniture and clothes, Wood told The Columbus Dispatch.
     The donated stuff, which won’t be returned, will be part of an interactive exhibit set to open in the fall inside a reconstructed Lustron porcelain and steel home. It will be rebuilt inside the historical center in
Columbus
    “Our hope is that people that go through this will get a real sense of what it’s like to live in the 1950s,” said Mark Holbrook, marketing manager for the Ohio Historical Society.
     The society will dust off some 1950s artifacts in its own collection for use in the exhibit, including oddball items such as emptied metal tubes of shampoo, hair tonic, toothpaste and other household products.
    Also on display will be museum prizes from the era, such as a Cleveland Indians baseball pennant picturing and autographed by outfielder Larry Doby. He broke a color barrier in 1947 by becoming the first black player in the American League
    The exhibit will mark a homecoming for the Lustron house, which has been on display for three years at the
Museum of Modern Art in New York City
     The prefabricated, modular home was one of many turned out by a Columbus factory from 1948 to 1950 and advertised during the post-World War II housing boom as “The House America’s Been Waiting For.”
    The Lustron company fizzled quickly. It filed for bankruptcy and was liquidated in 1951.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 7:17am

Perhaps we should “donate” many of our city officials to this cause.  The ones who believe that downtown is “the heart of our city” are obviously still stuck in the 1950s!!! LOL LOL LOL

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 9:24am
Perhaps Mike, the spider, 409 and myself could "donate" ourselves as 50's relics. We all know what it was like living in the 50's as kids. The innocence, courtesy toward people and the "leave it to beaver" type of lifestyle were the theme of the day. Black and white TV with the Sat. westerns that seem to be on all day. Bishop Fulton J. Sheen on Sunday afternoon. The early days of the NFL with Jim Brown running over people each Sunday. (Pre-Bengals when the Browns were consistently good.) The Packers were dominate. Cowboys and indians, neighborhood kids dividing up sides and playing "war" running and hiding around the homes on the block. Midwestern Hayride on Saturdays at 6PM, right after wrestling with the Bargain City Kid and Willie Thall advertising things and then heaving them back at the cameras. Wildroot Creme Oil and Lucky Tiger hair lotion at the barber shop. Crewcuts, flat tops as hair styles. Slinkys were a big hit as toys. So were Lionel trains, plastic toy soldiers, Erector sets and Lincoln Logs. Thursday night fights in black and white on TV with Gillette razors as the sponsor. All Cincinnati beers Hudepohl, Weidemann, and Burger advertised and consumed by locals with loyalty to local products. Cigarette commercials on TV. "Pull the bottle out by the neck" vending machines with the door in the middle for a small glass bottle of Coke for 5 cents. Pull knob vending machines in the lobby of Frisch's for cigarettes for 35 cents a pack. Non-filter cigarettes as the only choice. Console stereos- no components. TV's with big wooden cabinets with doors-all tube. Call the TV repairman out in his van with a tube tester or take the tubes out of the TV and go to the local store to "test the tubes". Ahh yes, the 50's......thank God, the innocence was replaced by the rebellious 60's where we stopped believing Washington and the lying politicians and had enough of the standard of the day.... much different than our parents believed in the 40's/50's.

Downtown Middletown stopped being the shopping destination and activity hub of the town in 1958 when Middletown Shopping Center was built and activity and interest started going out east. Why they want to try to make downtown the hub again, I have no clue. All the focus is down there and none toward the east anymore. Changed their attitude of a few years ago about going east with everything. Why, especially with the failed developmental track record on past efforts? Let the downtown go, make it a bargain price to set up shop down there and leave it to private development if it is to happen at all. All, JMO.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 10:51am
It always impresses me how someone can post on any topic (including something a statewide organization in undertaking in COLUMBUS) and the MUSA crowd can do nothing but muster up negativity about Middletown.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 1:37pm
I grew up in a prefab "Gunnison" home constructed in 1950. These used a lot of plywood and were sturdy homes. I believe most of the Gunnisons in this area were built by Fred Bendel Construction.
These homes could be erected in about 4 days, once the foundation was in place and were ranch style homes.
Gunnison link:  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07069/767964-30.stm
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by SupportMiddletown SupportMiddletown wrote:

It always impresses me how someone can post on any topic (including something a statewide organization in undertaking in COLUMBUS) and the MUSA crowd can do nothing but muster up negativity about Middletown.

Hey Support.....it's a simple concept. When the powers that be in this town quit generating fodder that creates negativity, the negative comments will stop. No matter what side of the fence you stand on, we all want to see good things for this town but we are not going to turn a blind eye to the nonsense that is transpiring here. You need people in this town who are watching and reporting the ridiculous actions and decisions of the city leaders. The only problem we have is the general populace doesn't care enough to create numbers to make a difference, invade city council meetings with our discontent and for city hall to take notice. Producing numbers of discontent people at public meetings/voting likewise are the only things that will make a difference.

You've heard this before....

The beatings will stop when moral improves. A copy is in every workplace I've been in. Got a copy in my joke archives.

Similarly, the negativity will stop when the stupidity ends.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2012 at 5:52pm

Perhaps I missed your response to my sincere request for someone—anyone—to tell us exactly what is so "historic" about "historic downtown Middletown".  Would you please re-post your response here???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2012 at 9:42pm
^That comment has nothing to do with anything.

However, I would tell you that there are many reasons downtown Middletown is historic from events that occured there to the architecture. Many buildings along Central are National Register of Historic Places eligible and several on South Main are already within the National Register district.

You don't have to be Colonial Williamsburg to be historic. Local and regional history can be just as relevant and important.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 12:03am

However, I would tell you that there are many reasons downtown Middletown is historic from events that occured there to the architecture. Many buildings along Central are National Register of Historic Places eligible and several on South Main are already within the National Register district.

You don't have to be Colonial Williamsburg to be historic. Local and regional history can be just as relevant and important.

So, in other words, there is NOTHING that YOU can think of that actually happened in “historic downtown Middletown” to make it “historic”!!!  It is simply all in YOUR mind...a figment of YOUR imagination…a handy catch phrase to use when trying to garner taxpayers’ money for special interests!!! LOL LOL LOL

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 1:02am

By the authority vested in me by the above statement, I hereby pronounce every person, every place, and every thing in Middletown to be HISTORIC!!!

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 9:00am
Wait Mike - please don't make me historic yet - I would like a few more years before I have that designation.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

Wait Mike - please don't make me historic yet - I would like a few more years before I have that designation.
No worries, Bobbie, although I am certain that your classy "architecture" will qualify you whenever you deem the time appropriate!!! Big%20smile

In the meantime, Historic VietVet and I will be pleased to divvy up your share of any loot made available. LOL LOL LOL

...Historic Mike
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 12:56pm
Last week I posted an article about the historic “Lustron Homes” that were built in several areas of our city none were located in a historic district. We have numerous other buildings around Middletown that are unique and could be declared historic. We also have homes in the Historic Districts that are not historic at all, they are called infill homes. Not all homes that are located in a Historic District can be placed on the National Historic Registry.
The real reason to declare an area or building historic is for the tax break and or to receive government funding. So that must be the answer to why the City purchased the Sorg Opera House.
Why should one historic area or building receive funding and another receive nothing.
It is clear to me that the City is clearly discriminating against the Middletown Cemetery.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 1:31pm
"In the meantime, Historic VietVet and I will be pleased to divvy up your share of any loot made available"

Mike Presta

Would that be ill-gotten booty or ill-bootin gotty? (Refer to MASH episode-line from Hawkeye I believe)
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 3:38pm
Mr. P,

In the broadest sense, everything is "historic"; about 4.5 billion years to some; to others more or less depending on your inclination and belief system. I was taught that the term "historic" referred to written and recorded events. For instance, the dinosaurs are "prehistoric" because no one was there to write about them. That shortens the "historic" era to somewhere around 4000BC. Since this geographic area was here and pretty much intact, it could be argued that the entire city is historic. If you'd like a tighter definition of geographically historic, it could be argued that buildings of at least 100 years of age are historic because they have lasted longer than the average lifespan of a person. Written records and photographic evidence such as displayed in books and on websites can also add to the historic designation.

I'm all for preserving history; particularly buildings and geographic areas of scientific or cultural interest. It should be of the highest priority to save and pass along that remembrance of those that came before us. It brings a sense of continuity and permanence to our lives which is why it is so disturbing to watch the city I grew up in disappear. I don't believe it's government's job to prevent this; the responsibility for this rests with all of us.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 6:41pm

Hey…don’t shoot the messenger!!!

I am simply applying the definition supplied by that learned scribe SupportMiddletown: 

If “events” occurred, or if “architecture” is involved, then it is HISTORIC!!!

…Historic Mike

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 8:54pm
^Yes, Mike, that is exactly what I said.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 10:04pm
It seems that those who live and breath "historic" are those who already have had their day in the sun, already have made their money or connections or whatever from this town. How about thinking about the FUTURE and what will get people, new people, actually building something out of this wreckage of a town? Do you think a young family, young entrepreneur, or even a national business or chain hotel would look at downtown and give a hoot about how old (or faux historic) it is?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 12:36am

^Yes, Mike, that is exactly what I said.

Yes, SupportMiddletown, that IS exactly what you said!!!

I asked:

exactly what is so ‘historic’ about ‘historic downtown Middletown’?”

You replied:

“^That comment has nothing to do with anything.”

Which can only mean that being EXACT is unnecessary, since YOU continued:

“I would tell you that there are many reasons downtown Middletown is historic from events that occured there to the architecture.”

Those were YOUR exact words.  That IS exactly what YOU said!!!

YOU said that “downtown Middletown” was “historic” due to some “events” that occurred there, and “architecture”!!!

Those were YOUR EXACT WORDS!!!

You didn’t say that Washington crossed the Miami from downtown Middletown to defeat the Hessians at Trenton, OH (he didn’t).  You didn’t claim that Kennedy was killed in Donham Plaza or that Lincoln was assassinated in Sorg’s Theater (they weren’t)!!!  You didn’t claim that Frank Lloyd Wright’s famous home, Smelling (sewer) Water, was a condo in the CG&E building (it isn’t).  You simply said “events” and “architecture”!!!  Those were YOUR EXACT WORDS!!!

So, we can only be left to infer that any person, place, or thing in Middletown--simply by virtue of their having been in Middletown and associated with "events" or "architecture"--are thereby:  HISTORIC!!!  Clap Clap Clap

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 12:44am
SupportMiddletown:  Don't be discouraged!!!  Your definition includes YOU!!!

For being associated with the events that are keeping Middletown in its downward death spiral, I hereby declare YOU:

HISTORIC SupportMiddletown!!!

(Run right over to City Hall and grab yourself a handful of loot!) Big%20smile

Or, better yet, head over to HISTORIC Cohen Brothers, buy a few HISTORIC junk auto hoods, and add a few HISTORIC "architectural flourishes" to your HISTORIC house!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 6:37am
Mike....

You mentioned the car hoods. Don't drive down around Central and Broad much. No need to. Nothing there to go for. However, I really would have liked to have seen those controversial multi-colored car hoods on the side of the PAC. So "artsy" and innovative in idea. Would have livened up the area a bit with a splash of color and vibrance as one sipped on a wine cooler, ate their dainty finger food and gazed fondly on the area, invisioning the activity that is to come in the future as promised by our city leaders. Disappointed that they were not put up for all the world to see. Perhaps we shall see some car hoods above the marquee of the rejuvenated Sorg Opera House in the future or above the Manchester Inn entrance once the MMF sponsored folks put these HISTORIC structures back to their original splender. How about some car hoods lining the plaza as one walks past the Manchester to the city building? Perhaps an artist could take some of the "to be torn down" Riverside Village trailers, paint 'em up real spiffy and put a hunk of 'em down there for ambiance. That's artistic, right?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 8:09am

That’s right, Vet!!!  That would be artistic AND historic!!!

Remember, junk auto parts received the coveted “Certificate of Historic Appropriateness” from those sticklers for HISTORIC accuracy, the vaunted (and highly unconstitutional) HISTORIC Commission!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 1:25pm
Mr. P,

I would tell you that this "historic" argument isn't really about what should be saved but how to about it. On that point, I agree with you. The city can certainly play a roll in development but that's usually more in the form of infrastructure and regulation. The simple truth is there has to this point been little private investment in the "downtown" development. There have been a number of public projects in the area and certainly there has been some investment but with very little assumed risk by private investors.

What would truly be "historic" would be someone to come along and articulate a "vision" or a "Master Plan" and ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH THE TASK!!! There would be a few square feet of "historic" turf to preserve!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 2:50pm
What would truly be "historic" would be someone to come along and articulate a "vision" or a "Master Plan" and ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH THE TASK!!! There would be a few square feet of "historic" turf to preserve
                         TonyB

Tony, IMO there won't be any "someones's" to come along to articulate a vision/Master Plan (except what the MMF guidelines will allow the council/econ. dev. leaders to agree to), much less be able to accomplish it. The city has a reputation of shooting down any and all plans (haven't been many I don't think) to downtown development (or any section of the city for that matter). Kohler, Gilleland and the powers that be see to it that if it doesn't fit their "vision" for the city, they won't allow it to happen. Just wondering how many businesses have attempted to land here and were driven off because of all the business unfriendly attitudes/roadblocks encountered and left in disgust???? The city plays a part in econ. development alright. They are the firewall on the computer. The virus slowing everything down as to progress. They block all ideas that don't conform to what they want the town to become. JMO

Good question......what will become of the $75,000 loaned to the MMF to be used as collateral for them to obtain a loan? It is the taxpayer's money and should be returned by Cohen and company after the loan is approved. Now, what will really happen to the money?   
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 8:06pm
Mike, you really are too much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic