FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Solution For Downtown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Solution For Downtown
    Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 9:31pm
This evenings Journal......

Main Street designation could help revitalization of Middletown

MIDDLETOWN — Becoming an Ohio Main Street community will help Middletown lay the foundation to revitalize and help bring economic development to downtown, officials said.
Middletown will begin the process Friday to become a Main Street community when officials with Heritage Ohio spend the day with officials with Downtown Middletown Inc. to evaluate the city’s core, looking at its strengths, weaknesses and possibilities.
While this status may not mean much for the average resident, the designation can lead to increased property values, more downtown job opportunities and more reasons to go downtown because “it’s a magnet for development,” said Downtown Middletown Inc. Executive Director Patrick Kay.

A MAGNET FOR DEVELOPMENT!! MORE REASONS TO GO DOWNTOWN....MORE JOBS.....INCREASED PROPERTY VALUES....FOR WHOM? THE S. MAIN ST. CROWD? AND JUST THINK, ALL OF THIS FROM A DESIGNATION. KINDA LIKE PUTTING UP A SIGN TELLING PEOPLE WHAT THE SITE WILL BE, BUT NOT OFFERING ANYTHING BEHIND THE SIGN EXCEPT AN EMPTY LOT. HEY, SORTA LIKE THE DUNCAN OIL DEAL.

Kay doesn’t see why this can’t happen in Middletown, but it just won’t happen right away.
“People will have to understand that it takes time to get things moving,” he said. “Middletown has been in a stopped position for such a long time.”

STOPPED POSITION? YEP, SINCE THE 60's. LONG TIME TO GET THINGS MOVING? YEP, SINCE THE 60's.

He said having mixed use is equally as important for long-term sustainability of a downtown as having key anchors, which for Middletown are education and the arts.

THEY ARE COUNTING ON THE ARTS AND A SMALL COLLEGE/EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM TO BE THE ANCHORS? AREN'T THEY THE EXTRA-CURRICULARS AFTER THE ANCHORS ARE IN PLACE? ANCHORS ARE DESIGNED TO ATTRACT THE GENERAL POPULACE WITH A RESULTING HIGH TRAFFIC COUNT SO THE SMALLER BUSINESSES WILL BENEFIT AREN'T THEY? THE ARTS AND A COLLEGE WILL ONLY ATTRACT A SMALL SEGMENT OF SOCIETY AND APPEALS TO A SELECT FEW. IF THEY ARE COUNTING ON THE ARTS AND EDUCATION DEVELOPING A BEEHIVE OF ACTIVITY DOWNTOWN, I THINK THEY WILL BE SADLY MISTAKEN.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2012 at 11:54pm
Oh boy...here we go again!!!

This is the new revised version of the revised version of the updated version of the revised version of the some old revised version of the revised version of the same old FAILED plan that has always resulted in NOTHING but taxpayers' money down the drain the last fifteen times it has been tried here!!

It's the "OLDE TYME DOWNTOWNE MIDDLETOWNE PLAN".

We should all be reminded of Mr. Greygoose's "signature":
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"!!!  
Not only have we "seen this movie", we citizens have paid all of the production costs for the original and all 15 or so remakes.  At some point, we must put our feet down and face the cold hard fact that it always has been (and will be) a box office flop.  The only ones who come to the show are the ones who get complimentary tickets (and refreshments) from the taxpayers, via City Hall.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 5:27am
    MIDDLETOWN — Becoming an Ohio Main Street community will help Middletown lay the foundation to revitalize and help bring economic development to downtown, officials said.

Middletown will begin the process Friday to become a Main Street community when officials with Heritage Ohio spend the day with officials with Downtown Middletown Inc. to evaluate the city’s core, looking at its strengths, weaknesses and possibilities.

DMI will pay Heritage
Ohio $2,500 for its first year in the program and $3,300 every year after. For that yearly fee, the organization will have access to various seminars, discounts on conferences, and technical, training and network assistance, Kay said. But the value is more than just that, he said.

I’m confused…Middletown has been a member of Heritage Ohio for several years. The membership fee was paid from the Downtown Fund.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2012 at 10:29am
Vivian that may be the case.  Perhaps this fee is specific to the Main Street program?  I know that Middletown was not eligilble for the Main Street program because it did not have a formal partnership in place until recently. 
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2012 at 12:11am
From MJ:

Investment in downtown drives slow growth

With some TLC, sweat equity, downtown Middletown can thrive once again, officials say.

By Michael D. Pitman, Staff Writer Updated 8:44 PM Saturday, June 9, 2012

MIDDLETOWN — along with cities like Philadelphia and Albuquerque, N.M. — was one of 11 cities named in 1957 an All-America City. Fast-forward to 2008 and Middletown made the Forbes.com list of the 10 fastest-dying cities in the country.

Business owners and champions of the city said that perception can change with plans in place to make downtown Middletown a thriving part of the city again.

Downtown Middletown Inc. has taken steps for downtown to be designated a Main Street community by Heritage Ohio. The organization touts that Ohio Main Street communities have experienced significant downtown investment and growth.

“(Downtown’s decline) didn’t happen overnight, and it’s not going to get fixed overnight,” said Jeff Brown, owner of MidTown Cabinets. “(The city) needs to stay the course and continue to do what they’re doing — cleaning it up and get these people in these (vacant) businesses.”

The Middletown Journal interviewed several business owners who said they believe the now dozens of empty store fronts throughout downtown will be filled with new businesses and restaurants, and people will fill the sidewalks.

The empty store fronts coupled with the poor economy have potential investors hesitant. But in recent years, that hesitancy isn’t as great, said Jim Edwards, owner of Digital Visual on North Clinton Street.

“Downtown had been on a decline for years,” he said. “But it’s definitely on the rise. I’ve seen new businesses coming in.”

In the last few years many businesses have moved in or relocated, including the last where with the Pendleton Art Center on Central Avenue and UDF on North Verity Parkway. Business owners hope that Cincinnati State Technical & Community College will provide the next bounce for revitalization when it opens this fall.

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else,” said Ron Meadows, owner of Design 2 Wear 2.

The business, when it was under its previous ownership, moved from Middletown to the Cincinnati Premium Outlets in Monroe, and Meadows said business dropped 50 percent. He convinced the then-owner to move back to Middletown, and he’s to the point where any significant boost to his already backed up orders, he’ll have to add staff or move — but he’ll remain downtown.

“I’m 57 years old and I remember when Central Avenue was booming and I think it can be again,” Meadows said. “I think it will be.”

A niche is important to give a downtown an identity, said Middletown Economic Development Director Denise Hamet.

“And we’re about the arts and education as a downtown niche, but you can’t build a downtown just on that,” she said. “We just need balance.”

Part of that balance is filling voids, which Hamet said includes commercial or office businesses and downtown living for young professionals.

The beginning of the spiral downward for downtown Middletown likely happened when Interstate 75 was built and development close to the interstate occurred, Hamet said. Then the boom of malls and outdoor lifestyle centers took away many of downtown’s anchors.

“You lost all of your main elements to drive traffic,” she said.

Then as time passed, downtown stayed stagnant, but many say that perception isn’t completely true now.

One aspect of Downtown Middletown Inc. Director Patrick Kay’s job is to help recruit businesses. He said a key for any successful downtown, no matter the mix of businesses, is quality.

“If you do something well and have great service, you’ll be successful. I want to recruit the certain types of business to be the best,” he said. “My father always said, if you put your customers first, the money will follow.”

He said downtown Middletown businesses are producing quality work.

Hamet said she sees “something very magical” about downtown as she looks over downtown from her fourth-floor office window in the city building.

“You can see its greatness, the way it used to be and the way it can be again,” she said. “It’s still a community that works. People still live here, they play here. It’s not dead, it just needs a little help.”

Hamet said soon people will start to see the turn toward revitalization, “and once you start to see the turn it picks up momentum.”

Downtown’s revitalization started several years ago, Hamet said, when BeauVerre and Better Built Construction opened downtown. It’s continued with the Pendleton Art Center and UDF, which the gas station and convenience store was the first new construction in downtown in a decade, she said.

Jay and Linda Moorman own BeauVerre Riordan and its building, known as BeauVerre at the Square and is home to several businesses.

“We just like to make things better, even on a job site, we leave it better than we got there,” said Linda Moorman. “We have this passion about wanting to turn downtown around.”

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2012 at 12:27am
An interesting article that expresses a lot of opinions. So in that spirit, here in mine:

It was not I-75 that caused the downward spiral in the downtown area, it was the idea to put a roof over downtown and turn it into a mall while a shopping mall was built by the interstate. The local businesses downtown were destroyed because of the construction and access problems and further destroyed by the lack of any real development of new businesses in the Mall. The downtown downward spiral continued with the removal of the roof and demolition of building that could have been used to house new business (Swallens). Add in the city purchase of all the buildings downtown and then mothballing buildings that were never part of the Cincinnati State plan. Signage ordinances, historical "Certificates of Appropriateness", overregulation and overtaxation and hidden fees also play their part.

I applaud those that want to turn the downtown around. I hope that it works out. There is a lot more work to be done and the piecemeal approach that city council has used to date just hasn't gotten the necessary momentum to susstain an upward spiral of growth. I would also offer the opinion that this city is more than just downtown and that while council works on the downtown area, they shouldn't forget the rest of the town.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 9:27am
TonyB, I found your analysis very provocative. To some extent, the distance out to the highway, although not far, is such with the proper downtown core, it did have a chance of making it. But, I also believe if you look at the composition of storefronts from my recollection, it just didn't have the right offerings to attract traffic. I did like a great deal, the hardware store, which was excellent. But, they could not possibly have competed with Lowe's and Home Depot, just like he local grocery store, Dillamn's may be an exception, can compete with Meijer's, Krogers, and Walmart. Think about what is available in 5 minutes, Target, Kohl's, three major national grocery chains, and what was within the Mall. Hence, the bigger failure was envisioning what was to come in the future. The future brought the above, which nothing unique, a difference maker, was established.

But, your point is well taken. However, when thinking about storefronts, nothing would have survived. A water billing station? 95% pay the water bill online. It was the lack of vision which would have yielded the same result, which truly was build it, and they will come. But, that same theory and policy continues. Maintain a golf course, and they will come. They don't....in numbers to sustain it. Buy an airport and they will come...but they don't, in numbers that justify the capitalization.   

Advanace forward to Cincinnati State. What's the theory used for expenditures? Buy it, and they will come. Why would they come, when MUM is here. MUM is leveraging its assets and every weekend has a major event taking place, music, activities, tethering community to it. No game changer for Cincinnati State. So the cycle continues. And....the lack of vision. BV survives because it is unique. Making relaince upon one entity to pull others in, just doesn't make for a successful downtown.

Your pt though, has legs, and merit. During the building and hassle, those that were loyal to the business went elsewhere. However, that aside, if you consider the type of storefront and the lack of differentiation, the end result would have been exactly the same.

Sadly, your pt further exemplifies that no matter what stage in time the city is in, the continuation of the repeat of past failures simply continues. I'm sorry...I just don't see Cincinnati State being a game changer. With culinary----yes, with a sampling of programs, no. Commodity, just as easy to take same class, same program elsewhere, a sub is a sub, a pizza is a pizza. 

The east end is the savior, but they can't get traction. I have opinions as to why---but I cannot effect change, just await the failures.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 12:43pm

Acclaro & TonyB

When you are working to revive the retail of an old downtown area you need to ask yourself this major question..
What can NOT be purchased at the mall or a big box store?
The Mooreman’s have done an excellent job of answering this question plus they use the internet to promote their unique products.
Other items such as…..
• hand made candies and cookies
• custom men’s and ladies hats
• hand made or custom furniture
• Hand made and antique toys
• Custom made and antique jewelry and repair
• Antique stores of all types
• Vintage clothing
• Any unique bakery

• Used book stores & old prints

Then you need to ask yourself…
Why did the city run off all the law offices at the 1st National and CG&E building without offering them another office located in the downtown core? These were PROVEN successful businesses that we should have made an invested with to stay in the Downtown.
Why did we let the Ohio Title Office and several others move out of downtown?
In my opinion the city has made major mistakes dealing with businesses that were once located near or in the downtown area.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 12:44pm
Acclaro,

The east end is the savior, but they can't get traction. I have opinions as to why---but I cannot effect change, just await the failures.

In prior posts, you state that the city is "toast" but now you state that the east end is its savior. Which opinion is your real opinion? I do agree that you cannot effect change. Not because you can't, but because you choose not to.

I have run across your “type” before. For whatever reason, you have this on-going need to be “right”. Rather than offering real, long term, solutions to the cities problems, you are “content” receiving the shallow validation that is typically offered to you by your on-line “flock”. You don’t even attempt to offer anything of long-term value; you are satisfied with the “atta boys” that you receive from the board’s regulars. Although you have the intellect, you don’t take the time to offer solutions or make the effort to confirm that your statements are factual. Criticizing those with differing opinions has become second nature to you. You’re on this board only for the ego boost that it provides you. Unfortunately, your need to be right is more important to you than making a difference.

It’s time for me to take a short vacation from this forum. I look forward to returning so that I can read your “thought provoking” response and all of the “atta boys” that come with it. It looks like the downtown area is gaining some traction. I think that I will make contact with the new Main Street Guy to see if I can be of any assistance. It sure beats the hell out of being a do nothing kind of guy that can’t effect change. In the words of General Douglas MacArthur: “I shall return”.
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 1:16pm
Solution for the downtown is simple.Quit wasting the millions of dollars that only a few want to see happen.
If you need to be told who those few are,then you have had your eyes closed for a longtime.

greygoose.....I think that I will make contact with the new Main Street Guy to see if I can be of any assistance. It sure beats the hell out of being a do nothing kind of guy that can’t effect change.
Me,myself and I think you already have contact with more then the Main Street Guy.But hey that just me,myself and I.Wink
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 3:21pm

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 4:49pm
acclaro,

Thanks for the post. Like you stated, it's difficult to see a future that never materialized. IMO, downtown would still be busy had the roof never gone on in the first place. Hard to say what kind of businesses or development would have occurred in the 35 years between then and now. Suffice to say, it wouldn't be in the mess it is now. Envisioning the future for either the downtown or the East End is difficult because of the shifting priorities and focus city leaders have. It seems that doing two developments at a time is just too complicated for our Economic Development Department. Of course, considering how piecemeal just the downtown development plan has gotten, I don't hold out much hope that the East End will get any plan in the near term.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 4:53pm
Actually, if you had been here for any length of time, you would have realized the downtown's demise started in 1958. 1958 was when the Middletown Shopping Center on Breile and I-75 were constructed and put into use. Middletown Shopping Center offered free parking as opposed to meters, no parallel parking as opposed to downtown and eventually took Davidson Photo Shop, McAlpins, clothing stores, shoe stores out of the downtown and added Albers grocery store to redirect shoppers out of downtown and out to the east end.

greygoose- Been watching your posts. Got an observation for you. You started on this forum asking questions under the guise that you were searching for information. You asked for some participation and the forum folks met your needs and supplied you with opinions, facts and data to back up the posts. You turned on them and started the combative attitude when their responses didn't agree with your preconceived answers. We have city building, MMF, "friends of the city" who post here, solely to stir the pot and to agitate. They do it exactly like you have done. Start slowly and increase the irritation factor. They accuse the forum members of never agreeing with the city, always finding fault with anything the city does, asking for proof when it has been provided, and not wanting to see the city grow. You have done the same. You have stated that you are ready to get away from this, take some time off and return at a later date. I would imagine there are a number of people here that would like you to stay away on a permanent basis. Still your choice. To date, your once honest, inquisitive "I want to know more about this" nature has turned into a confrontation with Ms. Moon, acclaro and others. It is a hope that you will return to your friends at city hall and leave us to deal with the misery they are laying on this city. I'm sure Gilleland and crew will send another agent to this forum to stir the pot again. You have done your good deed for them. Keep drinking their Kool-Aid and believing those that have helped destroy this city. Apparently, you are too blind to see what is really going on here. Not to worry. It is an affliction that infects all who go along with their continued failed policies of running this city. Look at their track record of pathetic failures over the years as proof. Look at the dwindling population, the homes for sale as people vacate the premises, the empty storefronts around town, the lack of decent job opportunities, the anemic economic development, the overabundance of poverty, the lack of enthusiasm for merchants to occupy downtown, the lack of student excitement for enrollment to Cinn. State, the small gatherings for the so-called "arts district" downtown, the state of the streets and infrastructure, the lack of decent shopping and entertainment in town, the reputation as the town no one wants to go to along the I-75 corridor, the image we now have with our neighbors. Still think they are worthy of your praise? All of this is their responsibility. All of this is their contribution over the years. Nothing to be proud of. Change it instead of bitching you say? We've tried to talk to them. We've gone to city council meetings. Our words fall on deaf ears. We've had some candidates run for office. They don't care what the people want. They want the only game in town to be to agree with them. Not allowed to object to their game plan. You are playing that game. JMO   
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

greygoose.....I think that I will make contact with the new Main Street Guy to see if I can be of any assistance. It sure beats the hell out of being a do nothing kind of guy that can’t effect change.
Me,myself and I think you already have contact with more then the Main Street Guy.But hey that just me,myself and I.Wink
LMAO:  I agree.  I think that Greygoose IS the "Main Street Guy": Patrick Kay.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 10:14am
Good cover name if true since the last time I ran into that dope he was -hit faced and beyond arrogant. Evolve??? Never did get a response to that. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

<span id="userPro33384" title="View Drop Down">greygoose.....I think that I will make contact with the new Main Street Guy to see if I can be of any assistance. It sure beats the hell out of being a do nothing kind of guy that can’t effect change.</span>
<span title="View Drop Down">Me,myself and I think you already have contact with more then the Main Street Guy.But hey that just me,myself and I.Wink</span>

LMAO:  I agree.  I think that Greygoose IS the "Main Street Guy": Patrick Kay.

Would this be the same Patrick Kay that the city hired to fix the downtown and has done nothing but say flowery, rose-colored glasses, futuristic crapola so far about the downtown, while drawing a nice paycheck for little to nothing of any substance? This position, so far, has not shown that it is needed to aid downtown development.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 7:46pm
Interesting approach Mr. Kay.  Come on the board and tout what a positive working relationship you've had with the city, solicit opinions, then bail when the mob doesn't offer constructive ideas.  I'm guessing that your sudden hostility to some on here, primarily Ms. Moon, occurred right about the time one of your handlers at Donham Plaza told you (1) good effort on MUSA -- hey you tried; OR (2) egads why have you been on MUSA --stay away from this board at all costs!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 11:17pm
If true, how much of this fiasco took place on the taxpayers dime ? Ouch
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 11:27pm
Be clear..... the taxpayers don't pay me a dime. I will return in the next day or two.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by greygoose greygoose wrote:

Be clear..... the taxpayers don't pay me a dime. I will return in the next day or two.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2012 at 7:18am
mr.goose--thanx 4 the kind thinking my way
I try to be fair and to appreciate everyone on these thorny issues

however it bothers me when you name-call and be-little many of those posting here
I have known most of them for a long time, and know them all from the long-term relationship here
If you are going to draw a line in the sand---I step to their side of that line

not really guessing as to your identity--not that important
we are all equal, though some more equal than others
your message rings clear
u say that u r a landlord who was born here, and has now returned
I take u @ yer word

u seem only focused on your situation regarding the pending rental property situation
those here are hardly one trick ponies. they have been here throughout the dramas and disappointments, and very few of them have an active business stake in our current situation
they are intelligent informed citizens who care about the community that has been their home for decades.

they don't like being ignored and insulted by their govt., and ? many ?able and probably poor decisions made by local govt. The citizens have brought on this mess only by electing the wrong people, and many of these people are put in place by the same senior names that have piloted this Titanic for decades.

I have explained my position and why I take that position--no need to do it again

If you can't respect and understand the core thinking here(I think you can do just that), then maybe you should move on to champion your self-interests. But I don't think that you can or want to do that. And that is not only ok, but a good thing. Do a little more history homework. Be constructive(your tone has changed considerably and very quickly)

this is your space just as much as it belongs to everyone else.
make something good out of it!.

jmo
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2012 at 10:21am
Spider,
I was going to post a response to VV today, but since you made an appearance this morning, I will respond to you instead. For the record, I am not associated with the city in any way. As I stated earlier, I am a local landlord and indeed came to this site looking for answers related to the landlord registration process. Upon, joining the site, I was pleased with the amount of information that could be found. I was a little “disturbed” by the amount of negativity but chalked it up to frustration from those that had lived in Middletown in better times.

I was content with the situation until two events occurred:

1st - I decided to take Pacman’s advice when he suggested that I read some of the history of the board. Although I learned an incredible amount of information, I also started finding factual discrepancies. I was finding information that contradicted what I originally took at face value as fact.

2nd – Not being the type to overlook little items such as facts, I started asking questions. At first, I was polite in my requests. My frustration grew when these questions were either left unanswered or summarily dismissed.

Eventually, my frustration grew to the point that I lashed out. I realized that this board was not what I had hoped that it was. In my opinion, this board is about the exchange of ideas from “like minded” people. There is little, if any, tolerance for opposing opinions. Upon reflection, “that’s OK”; nobody said that it was going to be otherwise. I just assumed that it would be. I want to apologize to Ms. Viv and acclaro. I let my frustration get the best of me and am ashamed of much of what I posted “at” you. I am a grown man and am upset that I let my emotions get the best of me. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with much of what you have to say, but my actions were uncalled for and, for that, I apologize.

I spent almost 25 years employed as a General Manager (problem solver) and am “hard wired” with a positive, can do, attitude. I’m not suggesting that I am right..... just trying to give you some insight into who I am and why I think the way that I do. I enjoy the educational aspect of this site very much but think that it would be best for all involved if I limited my involvement to periodic visits (for your sake, and mine). Although I may be passionate in defending my opinions in the future, I will never, again, strike out like I did a couple of days ago.

For those of you that think this post is just BS, I challenge you to read my posting history. If viewed objectively, I think that it confirms my above statements. For those of you that think that I am someone other than a concerned citizen, I think that I can prove otherwise…… just ask Spiderjohn after reading the following paragraph.

Several posts ago, I mentioned that I was born in Middletown but was raised in a small town just south of Dayton. If Spiderjohn is who I think that he is, I actually worked for his father at one of their “state of the art” stores in this Dayton suburb back in the 70’s. Do you think that AJ or Patrick would know that kind of information? I know that it probably takes some of the fun out of it, but I am truly nothing more than a local landlord who hopes for the best when it comes to his hometown.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2012 at 10:29am
When is a City Employee not a City Employee?
Last year when I called City Hall I was assured that Downtown Middletown Inc. had NO connection to City Hall.
However…I found that almost $15,000 had been given from the city coffers to Downtown Middletown Inc. Then again this year I found that the City had written another check for $25,000 to Downtown Middletown Inc.
Isn’t Mr Kay working under the same type of arrangement that the City has with MMF?

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2012 at 11:51am
While many individual decisions have gone wrong over the years what I would like to know is whether any city matching the age, demographics, and history of Middletown has come out of the pits or avoided the pits in the first place.  Some are probably suffering a little less (Springfield?) and some maybe a little more.

Anyone? anyone? Bueller?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2012 at 12:15pm
Bill, with all due respect, what "pits" are you referring to? Armco and AK Steel have been an excellent financially sound business for over 100 years, with the exception of a few years when China was dumping steel, and Armco entered into its relationship with AK. So, is your point that no company has ever made cuts, improved efficiencies, and had a year or two of economic downturn? Middletown Atrium is a non profit hospital it has been a stable employer since its founding 80-90 years ago.

I am confused by your point. Isn't the real question, has any city prospered when it relied simply on 2- 3 businesses in a 100 years? That's what happened to the city of Middletown. My response would be the odds are in favor few have done well, when their development efforts to make itself better, to industry and residents have failed, for a period as lengthy as Middletown.

Age has nothing to do with it. Demographics? That was an onset of lack of focus. Greatness comes about from focus.Middletown has not had focus for 60 years. I can't address your "history" point as I don't know what frame of reference "history" means.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic