FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HUD FUNDNG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 10:08am

HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Revolving Loan Fund

Thanks to the research of Vivian Moon and the probing posts of Mike Presta, we sadly learned how millions in NSP funds were somewhat wasted by Mr. Adkins and staff.  Over the past 18
months we learned about $220,000+ purchase/rehab/resale projects.  We were told by Mr. Adkins that it was fine with HUD if the City lost as much as $75,000 on any of these sweetheart deals.

Since it is noted by Mr. Adkins that most of his 10+ projects were finally completed, how much money did the City net from these sales?  How much capital is in the NSP Revolving Loan Fund today?
Is not property demolition an eligible use of these loan proceeds?

Lastly, when Mr. Adkins speaks of cost efficiency, does he ever recognize the large amount of taxpayer HUD funds that were so cavalierly wasted by him?

Nelson Self
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 10:25am
When I worked in the Planning Department I had several conversations with Mike LaRiccia and Nancy Petrunak from the HUD Cleveland Area Office regarding Section 8 vouchers.  Never once did they tell me that it would be a simple process to reduce the number of vouchers without:

1)  utilizing millions in CDBG, HOME and NSP funds to the best extent possible to successfully address existing housing and community development deficiencies; and,
2)  documenting that the City of Middletown was/is making significant progress to ameliorate housing and community development deficiencies as stated in both the HUD 5-Year Consolidated Plan plus HUD Annual Action Plans.

Very little if anything has ever been said about the manner in which CDBG, HOME and NSP funds were extravagantly spent (squandered) over the past three years to achieve significant success in remedying long-standing problems.

Also, with the termination of the Inspection Group plus repeated difficulties with Nelson & Associates, it makes one wonder why Mr. Adkins had such a penchant for disposing of CONSOC.  A person I will not mention badmouthed CONSOC incessantly before being transferred to a different position.  One individual in public safety did likewise.

Nelson Self

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 3:31pm
Lets try this one last time....... I understand that 54% qualified the city for the benefits BUT, is 54% the qualifying number? Could a city with 30% qualify? What percentage of low to moderate income families in a city qualifies it for the HUD bennies?
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 4:35pm
GreyGoose - Lets try this one last time....... I understand that 54% qualified the city for the benefits BUT, is 54% the qualifying number? Could a city with 30% qualify? What percentage of low to moderate income families in a city qualifies it for the HUD bennies?

GreyGoose
I do not know of one other City in the State of
Ohio that has declared their entire city a slum using the 54% rule other than Middletown. 
HUD Funds should only be used for high crime high poverty areas of a city or areas of greatest need. If you applied the 54% rule to each Ward of Middletown separately you would find only the 1st and 2nd Wards qualified.
I placed several huge messages with detailed research about this subject last year however I can’t seem to find it at this time.

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 7:15pm
It amazes me that you have the ability to research like a Paralegal but can't answer such a simple question. Never mind; I'll find it on my own.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 8:29pm
Based on HUD criteria, city administrators determined that all areas of Middletown are facing high foreclosure abandonment risk and that NSP programs should be administered on a city-wide basis. The city stated that NSP projects will occur in several different census tracts, with the vast majority of work being completed in areas with a foreclosure abandonment risk score of at least 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I counted 19 census tracts and all but 2 have a risk score of 9 or higher. The only tracts in the city listed with a risk score below 9 are east of Breiel & north of Grand and everything east of I-75. Based on those statistics, it would be irresponsible “not” to offer NSP benefits city-wide.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 8:53pm
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 11:02pm
goose:
imo you should worry a lot less about trusting Ms.Moon's info
and a lot more about trusting the actions coming from the city building
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2012 at 11:51pm

Greygoose and Ms. Moon:

May I offer what should be an easy solution to the “54% question”???

If memory serves (often a risky bet in the case of my memory), the declaration of the entire city as a so-called “Slumville” occurred at a City Council meeting in October of 2009.  All one need do is to pull up the City Council meeting workbooks for that month (which I believe would be dated 10/06/2009 and 10/20/2009) and peruse the staff reports for the appropriate legislative action.  The minutes of those meetings may also yield the information you are seeking.

Normally, I can supply copies of Council workbooks, as I routinely “save” them just to be certain that if I refer to them in the future I am not getting information that may have “accidentally” been altered, and I would be pleased to provide the aforementioned editions.  However, prior to about a year and a half ago, I foolishly did NOT save them to an external hard drive, and my copies of the 2009 workbooks were lost when my old computer “died”.

However, since Greygoose has recently been elevated “Moderator” status (after less than 100 posts) on this board, I feel certain that he has enough clout with Mr. Adkins to obtain copies of these workbooks.

(NOTE to myself:  You have NOT backed up your hard drive to the external hard drive in over two months!!!  Be certain to do so tonight!!!)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 5:13am

GreyGoose

At the last council meeting Mr Adkins stood before the members and explained his plan of using HUD Funds as matching funding for the Land Banking Program.
    Over the next few days I did a little research on the subject matter and placed phone calls to several council members. Mr. Josh Laubach was the only council member that returned by phone call.
    I explained to Mr. Laubach that I had serious concerns about Mr. Adkins plan to use HUD Funds for the Land Banking Program. That transferring HUD Funds to the General Fund and then transferring and using those funds as the matching funds for the land banking is nothing short of Money Laundering. I provided Mr Laubach with the following reasons for why the legislation should be removed from the emergency agenda of the June 19, 2012 council meeting:

1.  The guidelines for the Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program clearly state that
     HUD funds can not be used as matching funds.
2.  Mr. Adkins has not filed an Amendment to the HUD 2012 Annual Action Plan
     stating this substantial change in the use of HUD funds and requesting HUD
     approval.
3.  This major amendment concerning HUD funds has not been before the
      public for
a 30 day Citizens Comment Period.
4.   HUD has not approved any changes to the HUD 2012 Annual Action Plan.

Mr. Laubach stated that “Mr. Adkins has assured us that this is legal”.
He said he was going to contact Mr. Adkins and get an answer to my concerns.
I requested proof that HUD had approved Mr. Adkins plan. I have not received a phone call or an email from Mr. Laubach addressing my concerns.
    So here we are Greygoose the day before the emergency legislation for
Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program in the amount of 1.3 million dollars goes before City Council and the City has not provided me with any information or proof that HUD has approved this plan.
    Yet you come on this blog and accuse me of just sitting around bad mouthing  City Hall for no reason other than I’m frustrated. NO REASON? Then you need to go back and read this message again.
    I’m not frustrated…I’m mad as hell as I sit and watch what is going on at City Hall every day of the week.
    Sooo since you are such a close buddy to Mr. Adkins I'm sure you should be able to provide us with the letter showing HUD has approved this plan.  

http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/commsvc/py2012aapdraft.pdf

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 8:15am
If I may make a suggestion, as I don't study HUD practices in detail, that you may wish to have HUD examine these practices directly if they are wrong? City council members really don't care to put the effort into examining details nor what is what is wrong or what is wrong. other thatn the statement you provided. Monroe made such reliance on the school treasurer as to what was right and wrong and paid the price in having the state run their school district.

If Mr. Adkins is wrong, there will be a remedy, one would assume his job. But to state city council makes reliance on a trained attorney and his interpretation, and that's the end of that...well, that's the end of it. If deemed wrong, request HUD make an assessment.

In my view, Obama and this whole waste of federal funds is appalling, wasteful, and has accomplished nothing. It seems to be the midas touch now is to tear down buildings under some false pretense less capacity inflates and protects property values.

I'm more concerned and bewildered the Moorman's bought the PAC building Jim Verdon received hundreds of thousands to restore, and I thought he was leashing the building from the city. Moreover, I was astonished the forgiveness reference in the agreement was all over the terms.

HUD should have people who know what is right and what is wrong. The city should know what is right and wrong and the PAC situation.

Of course, I am making reliance the Middletown Journal is accurate....that may be a wrong asumption.    
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 10:36am
goose:
imo you should worry a lot less about trusting Ms.Moon's info
and a lot more about trusting the actions coming from the city building

Spider,

Did you read my post? I understand that 54% qualified Middletown but asked if 54% was the qualifying number. Her refusal to answer such a simple question just confirms my suspicion that there is no such thing as the 54% rule. Regardless, the end of my post stated “Never mind, I’ll find it on my own”. In other others, I'm taking your advice.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not believe everything that comes out of City Hall. The problem is that every time that I really start digging, I find facts that are left out of the discussion. Did you know that 17 of 19 census tracts in this city had a foreclosure abandonment risk of at least 9 on a scale from 1 to 10? Did you know that the city stated that they would concentrate their efforts in those areas (in other words, no bennies for the east end)? All that I am saying is it is irresponsible not to discuss both sides of an issue. You lose credibility with those outside of your inner circle if you don’t.

Ms. Viv’s recent post concerning Land Banking is a perfect example. On the surface, her arguments appear very plausible but logic tells me that Mr. Adkins, being an attorney, isn’t going to take steps that will put the city in legal jeopardy. Time to start digging again…………

GG

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 10:52am
Contrary to popular belief, I do not believe everything that comes out of City Hall. The problem is that every time that I really start digging, I find facts that are left out of the discussion. Did you know that 17 of 19 census tracts in this city had a foreclosure abandonment risk of at least 9 on a scale from 1 to 10? Did you know that the city stated that they would concentrate their efforts in those areas (in other words, no bennies for the east end)? All that I am saying is it is irresponsible not to discuss both sides of an issue. You lose credibility with those outside of your inner circle if you don’t.

GreyGoose
Did you even bother to read what was posted at this link?
Do you know how to read the charts?
Are you telling me that you believe the Highland Historic District is a high crime, high poverty area?
http://middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3223&KW=HUD

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 11:53am
goose:
glad that you are here, and find your posted info very interesting and enlightening.
you make a good balancing addition to this forum with your approach and direction.

I don't know the hud or legal definitions, however I remember watching the Council meeting where Mr.Adkins made the 54% statement. He mentioned that this % allowed him to use the fiunding wherever chosen, including the east end and the fprmer Towne Mall area. Then he mentioned that he was going to by-pass the troublesome high-crime, high poverty areas(specifically my business area of Crawford St--Moore St--Supthin St) in favor of the Highlands Historical District, the S Main Historical district, and of course, the area formerly known as our downtown. So--the worst areas were to be excluded in favor of the good ole boy network.

I like Mr.A, and agree with a lot of what he is doing.
He didn't create the Section 8 mess, and has promised to do what he can to fix it.
I take him at his word.
Council/Admin?--another story.

Sorry that I can't tell you more or more specifics, however I did watch this long ago.

Having watched whatever has gone down publicly over years, I see what is said by Ms.Moon, Mr.Self and Mr.Presta as reasonably accurate--like it or not.

Of course--I could have some things wrong.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 1:29pm
greygoose:On the surface, her arguments appear very plausible but logic tells me that Mr. Adkins, being an attorney, isn’t going to take steps that will put the city in legal jeopardy
Sorry but when I read that it makes me laugh.Someone digs deep enough they would find that everyone of our "SPINE:ESS ONES" would have legal problems.LOLLOL
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 1:41pm

LMAO:

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 2:38pm
Come on STINKY I mean Stanky cant you come up with something different? First its my Spelling,and now a pic of you. What does it mean?Big%20smile
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 3:36pm
I couldn't help it. A big heavy lunch from The Meadows and a hot day will do that to you!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic