FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPECIAL COUNCIL MEETING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 10:58am
What those 4 done last night was nothing but another smack in the face to the taxpayers.Just shows people what happens behinde closed doors at the city building.Angry
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 2:56pm
acclaro,

While I agree with others that the city handled this legislation is a very poor manner, I must disagree with your assessment that the land banking provides no solution to Middletown's woes. If I'm not mistaken, the first land bank was established in Genesee County Michigan about 8 years ago and has been so successful, that many states, counties, and minicipalities are scrambling to copy the concept. Below, are exerpts of an article that I found on the subject. As you will see, there are many listed benefits and I can think of others that are not listed.

Land Bank Benefits

While abandoned and vacant properties depress property values, discourage property ownership, and attract criminal activities in the surrounding area, a land bank provides tools to quickly turn these tax-reverted properties back into usable parcels that reinvest in the community's long-term vision for its neighborhoods. Land bank programs act as an economic and community development tool to revitalize blighted neighborhoods and business districts. Land banks can benefit urban schools, improve tax revenues, expand housing opportunities, remove public nuisances, assist in crime prevention and promote economic development.

By transferring vacant and abandoned properties to responsible land owners through a land bank program, local governments benefit because they avoid the significant cost burden of property maintenance, like mowing and snow removal, as part of their nuisance abatement responsibilities. In addition, local governments benefit from increased revenue because the new property owners pay taxes on the property. Also, the local schools benefit because they receive more funding when there is an increase in property owners in their school districts. Land bank programs can increase the variety of mixed-income housing offered and provide more opportunities for affordable housing. Also, land bank properties, which become owner-occupied, discourage criminal activit thereby benefiting public safety and decreasing the cost burden on the local police and fire departments. Finally, the more residents and businesses that occupy property in a neighborhood, the more services and amenities will be needed, which boosts local economic activity.

Case Study: Michigan's Land Banking Enabling Legislation

To better understand how land bank programs work, it is helpful to review a case study. Following is a case study of Michigan's Land Bank Enabling Legislation and Michigan's Genesee County land bank program. It is important to first review a State's particular Land Bank Enabling Legislation because these laws provide land bank programs with the legal and financial tools needed to operate and maintain a land bank.
Prior to January 2004, Michigan's tax foreclosure laws on abandoned properties were ineffective because local governments did not have the authority to effectively manage tax-reverted land and prevent blight. Now, Michigan has one of the most progressive land banking laws in the nation.

In January 2004, Governor Granholm signed into law the Land Bank Fast Track Legislation, Public Act (PA) 258, to provide communities with better legal and financial tools to put vacant and abandoned properties back into productive use. This law establishes a state land bank authority while also enabling the establishment of city and county land bank authorities. In addition, the law permits these authorities to expedite quiet title on properties, which it possesses, and make them available at nominal prices for productive reuse in the community. The quiet title process is a legal action that eliminates all liens and past claims on a property and clears the title so a new owner may purchase the property without worrying about any unresolved claims. In conjunction with PA 258, the Governor also signed into law four other related Public Acts:

PA 259 amends the Michigan Brownfield Redevelopment Act to allow any land bank authority owned property to be defined as "blighted property", which enables a tax increment financing board to provide assistance to a land bank authority with clearing or quieting a title, and disposing of property owned or held by a land bank authority.
PA 261 creates the Property Tax Exemption Act, which exempts property, with titles held by land bank authority, from taxes and exempts property sold by a land bank authority from general property taxes for five years.

PA 260 creates the Tax Reverted Clean Title Act to impose a specific tax, which would have the same rate of general property taxes for five years, on property sold by a land bank fast track authority. While one half of the revenue from this specific tax funds an authority's title clearance and land disposition costs, the remaining half is earmarked for local and state collecting units on a pro-rata basis.

PA 263 amends the General Property Tax Act to permit a foreclosing governmental unit to request a title product other than an unreliable title search to identify the owners of tax delinquent properties at the time of foreclosure and describe a reasonable process for identifying these owners and providing public notice to them.

Michigan's Genesee County Land Bank

In Michigan, Genesee County has been a leader in creating a successful land banking program. Under the Genesee County Land Bank Authority, tax foreclosed properties are held for a period of time before being returned to the market. This allows for the grouping of parcels together to provide a more attractive resale opportunity and the assessment of potential property owners to ensure that they will contribute to the long-term vision of the community.

The Genesee County Land Bank Authority has acquired title to more than 3400 land parcels, including nearly 6% in the City of Flint in the first three years of the program. They have successfully transferred 130 foreclosed tenant occupied properties to non-profit housing agencies, whose goal is to stabilize neighborhoods and encourage home ownership. In addition, the LBA has redeveloped a 30,000 sq. ft. mixed use building in downtown Flint, which has been empty since 1980, and they have assembled hundreds of empty lots for city development projects and local non-profit and community organization projects.

Land Banks as a Smart Growth Planning Tool

While other cities' land bank programs, like St. Louis, have been used primarily as a fiscal tool to stimulate growth in their communities, Genesee County's land bank program has been used as a planning tool to align with their communities' long-term redevelopment plans that provide the greatest benefit. When Michigan's Governor Granholm signed the latest land bank legislation in 2004, she said, "Together these new laws will help local planning officials to look at an entire area or region when developing land use plans." In addition, the Governor said, "To make headway against urban sprawl, we must think regionally and use new tools." Land bank programs are one of these smart growth tools that counter sprawl and revitalize the inner core of Michigan's cities. Based on Governor Granholm's state-wide smart growth goals, it is imperative that Michigan communities focus on city and region-wide planning instead of just fiscal objectives when implementing land bank programs.

GG

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 3:17pm
GG...

"While I agree with others that the city handled this legislation is a very poor manner, I must disagree with your assessment that the land banking provides no solution to Middletown's woes. If I'm not mistaken, the first land bank was established in Genesee County Michigan about 8 years ago and has been so successful, that many states, counties, and minicipalities are scrambling to copy the concept. Below, are exerpts of an article that I found on the subject. As you will see, there are many listed benefits and I can think of others that are not listed"

That's right GG. Under NORMAL circumstances, this Land Bank idea may work for 99 44/100 of the communities including Genesee County Michigan. HOWEVER, keep in mind, this is Middletown and with Middletown you get city leaders who have a track record of screwing up most of what they try. Time will tell how well the city leaders will do on accomplishing success on this program (or where the money actually went when we discover they used it for other purposes) I would imagine most who can evaluate the city leaders and have a knowledge of their accomplishments, would come to the conclusion that, given time, they will add to their mistakes through sheer incompetence.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 3:40pm
GG, I respect your opinion. If I may clarify my point, I'd like to distinguish Middletown for the Michigan case study. My only problem with this investment, is Middletown has enormous other problems it is facing, the least of which is it is running (so it says), near a deficit. Its rainy day surplus used to be 25%, that is now drained to 15%. There are tax levies coming forth, and its infrastructure, road system, and general population appeal, is sinking.

Therefore, it is without justification, that the city will  take $1.2 Mm in capital, and as I understand it, admittedly, I am not a HUD/ NSP expert nor will exert the effort to become one, out of the General Fund, when they openly state they are going broke. If they are going broke, who pays for fire/ police, or do they think the public will absorb that expense, based upon funds they don't have, on some opinion there is leverage?

Granted, if Middletown has $15 Mm in surplus, and a targeted plan, it may be worth the investment, if nothing else, to stimulate the local economy. But they don't. Considering all factors, I simply see no justification for this added capital burden on a strained system, but I also admit, I am relying on the truthfulness of city council. Perhaps that is my error in judgment.

I see no reason for this expenditure when they state they need a tax levy, when they used funds from public safety elsewhere, when the last levy was passed. That is the issue I have with this arrangement. It tends to destroy city credibility when espousing you are going broke, and then vote 4-0 (with 3 members obviously not wanting to be part of this effort), to spend $1.2 Mm you say you don't have.

If you can explain that logic, I am all ears (or eyes). If I am wrong and the city can use federal HUD funds as a match, then why not put those funds to work on roads. This once again, appears on face, to be FIRE, READY, AIM. It would be worthwhile if they had a history of occasionally, hitting the intended target. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 3:52pm
VV,

I'm sure that this is where we differ. Based on my limited amount of time following the city council, I am taking them at their word. They are on record that these funds will "ONLY" be used for this, specific, purpose and that they will only take possesion of the properties for a "BREIF" amount of time. I'm assuming that your experience tells you that it won't happen that way. For everybody's sake, let's hope that I am right on this one..... that stakes are big.

GG
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 5:01pm
greygoose,

Here is the problem with taking this council at its word. The funds that they are transferring were designated for a specific purpose. Suddenly, when something else comes along, the "specific purpose" is shunted aside for the new purpose. That's why there is so much confusion about funding in Middletown and so little trust in government. Funds that are designated for a specific purpose suddenly become available for something else. We play the shell game and transfer funds from one account to another until it no one can decipher which funds are designated for what project. If they tear down 300 homes in Middletown, not only will our neighborhoods look like war zones, but you'll be beat to death traveling on the roads through those neighborhoods. Does anyone realize what Middletown will look like with bare property in the middle of a street? Why isn't this money being used to leverage rehabilitation instead of demolition? Do you honestly think that people are going to want to buy the remaining homes when there are empty lots next to them? You also need to understand that a "brief" amount of time doesn't have any meaning here. Look at all the downtown real estate purchased for Cincinnati State and then realize it wasn't bought for that project at all; it was purchased so city council can determine the "outcome"!!! You bet the stakes are big!!! When every levy goes down to defeat because Middletown was able to come up with funds to tear down buildings but doesn't have the money to pay for public safety, what do you think will happen then?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:11pm
TonyB, you make an excellent point which I want to amplify. The program is targeting for markets that have enormous problems in establishing market demand. Therefore, the solution, which arguably, is not even a band-aid, is to destroy capacity. In turn, some how, the economic theorists like Les Landen, which is not a macro-economist, states destruction of supply will spur elevation of valuation. That point, and fallacy, I have already made, as what remains unresolved, and simply, not properly focused, is the underlying need for demand.

And therein is the problem. Taking down houses in Middletown does nothing for demand, but diminishes  supply. If there was a reduction by 50% in supply, it would do nothing to elevate demand and valuation. A vacant lot isn't going to stimulate demand, in terms of new construction. There is an empty house now for two years, right across from Bill Triik who heads Middletown's Chamber of Commerce. Tearing down that house won't increase his valuation, as there is a glut of stable over-capacity around him.

Until Middletown can increase demand, which is highly unlikely, this program will accomplish nothing. And, it deploys capital that can be used for other purposes, into destruction that impacts only supply, but does not elevate demand. If anything, some % of funding should go to raising demand, but that is marketing, and heavy lifting, that the city cannot seem to ever get traction. The slow drip has become a fast drip, and exodus, with AK, Atrium, and others leaving. There has been no back-fill. Therein is the problem.

You bring up another good point on stabilization, but I am not certain if you mean stabilization associated with helping individuals avoid foreclosure or stimulating demand as you call it---rehabilitation. If I think I comprehend your term, the problem in that regard is quite simple. And that is you are using funds to fix up property that demand is just not there, in spite of the upgrades, and done at a capital loss, as the figures have shown. In reality, the rehabilitation efforts have driven valuation down, because the money put in makes that property, a more appealing acquisition target in a market full of over-supply, and just drives other property down associated with the investment in upgrades which aren't absorbed nor reflected, in higher price point.

This vicious cycle will never cease until demand increases. That is the chronic problem city leaders and council don't comprehend, and they simply don't know how to create market demand. Rather,its their  practices causing just the opposite, by lowering demand through higher taxation, no services, high water costs, and the other problems well documented.

Pushing a ton rock uphill by yourself at 90 degrees is an impossible task to accomplish. That is the demand problem Middletown has, the weight, the anchor, and the incline...just too steep to navigate and make progress and gain traction. One step forward, and four steps back, never gets the city up the hill to the summit. And so it continues.

Ever get your car stuck in snow 12 inches deep, and can't get out, the tires just spinning, going nowhere? That is Middletown's housing market. Demand is the removal of snow and a pull by a pick up truck to get back on dry asphalt. Supply fixation is plowing the main roads and awaiting for the temperature to rise in a few weeks, to melt the snow, to get your car moving again on a side road not plowed. Applying the wrong tool, and wrong use of capital to focus upon the wrong end of the problem.

As Bill Clinton would say, " its the demand stupid."  (not supply) Without demand, there will be a lot of houses being torn down...about 80% of Middletown---or the fire sale, which drives valuation downward. .Snow too deep, or quicksand, but the result is the same. You can't get traction, and just spin aimlessly.      
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:23pm

At the June 19th Council meeting, Mr. Adkins clearly stated that the matching funds would be coming out of the General Fund.

At last evening’s meeting, Les Landen clearly stated that “there will be no transfer of funds” and that they were only “re-allocating” money but that the monies are all “being used from the funds they are in”.

It is perfectly clear that we have $1.1 million in the General Fund that, with a little bit of “shuffling”, could be UN-allocated!!!

Doesn’t anyone remember all of the crying and hand-wringing last fall during the 2012 budget process when we were trying to find money to avoid laying off police and firefighters, yet we had $1.1 million that could easily have become UN-allocated and available to use!!!

Doesn’t anyone remember all of the crying and hand-wringing last fall during the 2012 budget process when we were trying to find money for Councilman Laubach’s Street fund yet we had $1.1 million that could easily have become UN-allocated and available to use!!!

Doesn’t anyone remember all of the crying and hand-wringing last fall during the 2012 budget process when we were trying to find money to avoid deficit spending and to avoid spending down our cash reserves, yet we had $1.1 million that could easily have become UN-allocated and available to use!!!

Doesn’t anyone remember all of the crying and hand-wringing last fall during the 2012 budget process when they discussed adding a FEE to our water bills to pay for STREET LIGHTING (including the power for the 45 new, historically inaccurate lights for the S. Main St. Historic District), yet we had $1.1 million that could easily have become UN-allocated and available to use!!!

Doesn’t anyone remember all of the crying and hand-wringing last fall during the 2012 budget process when we were told that there is definitely a DEFICIT projected for the General Fund for 2013???

Doesn’t anyone remember even the last regular Council meeting on June 19, when our “Tax Budget” projected a 2013 General Fund DEFICIT of $2,176,225, yet we are now told that we have $1,100,000 that could be UN-allocated, and CARRIED FORWARD to CUT THAT DEFICIT IN HALF!!!

In just a month or two, Council and City staff will begin the 2013 budget discussions.  Who wants to bet on when the CRYING and HAND-WRINGING over how broke we are will begin???

Who wants to bet whether we will be told there will be enough money for public safety or infrastructure—the FIRST TWO purposes of municipal government???

Who wants to bet whether or not we will be forced into deficit spending, and must spend down our rainy day cash reserves???

Who wants to bet whether or not there will be additional fees, taxes, increases in charges for City services, Speed Limit enforcement cameras, etc., discussed to increase revenue to the General Fund???

Lastly, even though we will be told that we are going broke, the next time a juicy pet project arises to benefit the “right” small group of “friends of City Hall”, who wants to bet whether or not money will be shuffled and a big wad of dough will be found “tucked away in one of our other funds”???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:36pm

Acclaro,

You are, of course, correct.

City Hall just does not understand supply and demand.

There is a “niche market” in Middletown for arts, antiques, and what I refer to as the “olde tyme high life”.  That niche market is very passionate, and that is admirable.  However, it includes some at City Hall, and a few of their friends, and they think that by keeping ALL OTHER BUSINESSES away, they will somehow be creating a much greater demand, and thereby will follow more of the stuff that they want.  They can’t understand that it just doesn’t work that way and, in fact, keeping other businesses and industry away has just the opposite of the effect that they desire.

Their passion blinds them
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:38pm

Now now Mike

We must have misunderstood Mr. Becker during the December 2011 City Council Meeting when he said “MIDDLETOWN IS GOING BROKE”.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:38pm
Well...not really. Assuredly Larry Mulligan and the council just think the public will approve the unneeded public safety levy, and they'll take that cash or a portion of it, to use for the matching grant, or replace the funds they advance themselves, from HUD. So the shell game fix is taken care of by the levy.

But, the levy goes down, a close eye kept on the HUD funds which HUD audits, and its a perspiration stare down at Donham Abby. Why pass a needless levy when they clearly have the money to waste, and took funds previously from the public safety funds.    
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:42pm
TonyB,

I understand your argument concerning the council’s history of diverting funds from their intended use and I also just witnessed our Mayor reversing a council decision because the result of the vote did not agree with his position. I am, in no way, trying to justify those issues. I am on record that the re-vote was just plain wrong and “if” the funds are not used as promised, I will be at the front of the line pushing for their removal come election day.

With that said, I absolutely disagree with your perception that these demolitions will leave neighborhoods looking like war zones. We are told that they will start with the most impactful properties; the worst of the worst. When I hear those words, I interpret them as properties that are “beyond” rehabilitation. I have been a real estate investor for many years and, since my recent retirement, it is how I earn a living. I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are many dozens of homes in this city that are beyond rehabilitation. In other words, it would cost more to rehabilitate the properties than they are worth. What I envision from this program are blighted homes being demolished and the resulting “land” being split between the adjacent property owners as “side yards”. This process would turn an existing eyesore that was costing the city money to maintain into a property that would be maintained by its new owners who would also pay real estate taxes on it. I, personally, have two properties that are directly adjacent to vacant, “junk”, homes and would be thrilled if the city tore them down and “gave” me half or all of the land. I would be happy to pay the additional taxes in return for the “asset” and overall increased property value. Where there are several blighted properties together, the possibility of new construction is also possible (but much less likely).

If things go as I hope, there will be 300+ properties that that will no longer cost the city money to maintain and, in its place, there will be 300+ parcels in which real estate taxes are collected not to mention the additional real estate taxes collected from the appreciation of thousands of neighboring properties. I know that there are many on this thread that disagree with that assessment but, if it is happening elsewhere, I see no reason that it won’t work in our hometown. At least….let’s hope so!

GG     

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:42pm

If the city is able to match the $1.1 million in grants, Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins said 300 vacant and abandoned homes — about 10 percent of its such properties — would be demolished by Dec. 31, 2013.
Well Gentlemen the Land Banking Program legislation has passed and now it’s time for City Hall to put words into actions over the next 18 months. Mr. Adkins has stated that he will demo 300 homes over the next 18 months.
So that is 100 homes every 6 months.

He said the city is in the process of identifying possible dilapidated homes to be leveled.
Mayor Larry Mulligan said the city will seek the “worse of the worst,” and hopes following the demolition of the homes, property values in those neighborhoods will increase.
WHAT! I thought City Hall said we had 3,000 homes to demo! Do you realize what Mr. Adkins has spent on Code Enforcement over the past 3 years? He has allocated half the CDBG Funds this year to Code Enforcement to the tune of $326,565
. (Oh yes we Feed the Beast very well)
Are you telling me after all this time and money they do not know where the worst of the worst are located?  Confused

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:44pm
Gee, do you mean to tell me that you think there still may be nearly $3 MILLION from the LAST "public safety" levy "tucked away" somewhere???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 6:57pm
Heres a little history lesson about what caused much of the blight in large Cities

REDLINING

Redlining is the practice of arbitrarily denying or limiting
financial services to specific neighborhoods, generally because its residents are people of color or are poor. While discriminatory practices existed in the banking and insurance industries well before the 1930s, the New Deal's Home Owners' Loan Corporation (HOLC) instituted a redlining policy by developing color-coded maps of American cities that used racial criteria to categorize lending and insurance risks. New, affluent, racially homogeneous housing areas received green lines while black and poor white neighborhoods were often circumscribed by red lines denoting their undesirability. Banks and insurers soon adopted the HOLC's maps and practices to guide lending and underwriting decisions. Further, the Federal Housing Administration, created in 1934, also used the HOLC's methods to assess locations for federally insured new housing construction.

Like other forms of discrimination, redlining had pernicious and damaging effects. Without bank loans and insurance, redlined areas lacked the capital essential for investment and redevelopment. As a result, after World War II, suburban areas received preference for residential investment at the expense of poor and minority neighborhoods in cities like Chicago. The relative lack of investment in new housing, rehabilitation, and home improvement contributed significantly to the decline of older urban neighborhoods and compounded Chicago's decline in relation to its suburbs.

Redlining's negative effects remained largely unrecognized by policymakers until the mid-1960s. Banking practices were the first to receive congressional scrutiny. The Fair Housing Act of 1968 prohibited housing discrimination and the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act of 1975 required the release of data on bank lending. Unsatisfied by the practical results of these laws, community activists in Chicago spearheaded further reform, leading the nation in identifying and addressing the redlining issue. In the early 1970s, the Citizens Action Program, a cross racial group of community leaders from the South Side, developed a strategy of “greenlining” by asking residents to deposit savings only in banks that pledged to reinvest funds in urban communities. Chicago organizers were also instrumental in lobbying Congress to pass the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (CRA), which required banks to lend in areas from which they accepted deposits. The law had limited effect until the National Training and Information Center in Chicago, led by Gale Cincotta, put public pressure on Chicago banks to lend to distressed neighborhoods. Cincotta's group successfully negotiated $173 million in CRA agreements from three major downtown banks in 1984, settlements that served as models for other cities.

The extent of progress in ending redlining in the insurance industry remains an ongoing debate. In 1968, the President's National Advisory Panel on Insurance in Riot-Affected Areas found that insurance underwriting manuals explicitly instructed agents to use racial data in determining risk. While states passed laws prohibiting insurance redlining, federal legislation has never directly addressed the issue. Court cases, however, have forced change in both the banking and insurance industries. In the 1990s, prominent banks and insurance firms have settled several major lawsuits, agreeing to change their business practices to remove discriminatory policies and procedures.

D. Bradford Hunt

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 7:00pm

First, the “land bank legislation” has not yet passed!!!  Last evening was just the first reading.  All that passed was authorization to submit a “letter of commitment” to Butler County.  (Of course it will pass, with four MMF-ers firmly on board.)

Next, you people seem to somehow think that they are only going to demolish “houses”.  You obviouly have forgotten that two lawyers from City Hall are involved.  They have included a list of “definitions” for the purposes on this legislation.  As I recall, they have defined “single family residential” as having no more than FOUR residential units.

Hmm…I wonder how many apartments the Studio Theater or the Sorg Opera house have upstairs???

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 7:12pm
GG, I man no disrespect, but you sound like Nancy Nix on your postulation. Do you actually think a property owner would desire to accumulate property vacated, and add that cost to the valuation at 35% from the county? If so, I recommend you find another avenue to supplement your retirement income, but investment strategies is not one of them. This year alone, there are 10,000 cases before the OHIO BTA associated with property tax appeals originating from the BOR in Ohio counties. Simply adding land does nothing to stimulate demand, and therefore, valuation. All one would be stimulating is more artificially elevated valuation by land, but the price point on selling the land, will not rise when including it in the property. 4500 sq ft on 3.5 acres now in Middletown sells for about $150,000., so no one in their right mind, from a business acumen perspective, would absorb land thinking it pumps up their property value. And I assure you, 99% of Middletown home owners, and commercial owners as well, understand that. They would have no interest in absorbing the land, so the city will have it, and pay no taxes on it, and it will sit, and sit....just like the C State property will.

And with land, there is still mowing costs weekly. So, what is gained from the destruction of property? Vandalism reduction? There are more concerns about home invasions in Middletown, than vandalism to property vacated. And the upkeep on mowing will be a city responsibility. While you might buy the property, the vast majority will not, because of the burden of taxation with no upside return.

You need to begin thinking like an economist, not a CPA accountant, with all due respect.

Well, everyone should now know what the MMF business plan would be focused, and that is how to make $$$ off the buildings the city buys, and what return they will get. The cartel that drove the car into the ditch, now is driving your car into the ditch. And no one knows why there isn't market demand in Middletown?       
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 7:49pm
To all,

The following excerpts were taken from an article written in the Pittsburgh Quarterly titled: “The Cost of Blight”. Although Philadelphia is a much larger city, the same principles hold true. Below, is a link to the entire article……. It is a very good read.

Philadelphia is one place that has examined those costs, and the 2010 study it commissioned offers some idea of the economic toll vacant and abandoned properties imposes on communities. The news isn’t good for property owners in the city of 1.5 million people. Vacant property reduces market values by 6.5 percent citywide and by as much as 20 percent in neighborhoods with the most empty lots and structures. The report estimates that 17,000 vacant properties are tax delinquent and rob the city of $2 million in tax revenue each year. Vacant properties also consume $20 million in city services a year, $8 million of which is spent on code enforcement and maintenance, such as boarding up buildings or demolishing them.
The impact of vacant property extends beyond economic loss. Its role in unraveling the quality of life in a neighborhood and dimming the outlook of its residents is well documented. Nothing signals neglect and disinvestment more than a street peppered with empty, overgrown lots and abandoned houses. Not only do neighborhood residents get the message, but the larger community gets it as well. And once that happens, restoring community pride and engagement and convincing others to come in and invest becomes a much taller order.

">http://www.pittsburghquarterly.com/index.php/Region/the-cost-of-blight/All-Pages.html

GG
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 7:52pm
"The cartel that drove the car into the ditch, now is driving your car into the ditch. And no one knows why there isn't market demand in Middletown?"
They think that, by driving everyone's cars into the ditch, they will create a demand for more ditches.
Wink
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 7:56pm
"...$8 million of which is spent on code enforcement and maintenance, such as boarding up buildings or demolishing them."
So, they think that by demolishing them, they will save money by not having to demolish them??? Confused
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 8:14pm
GG, I man no disrespect, but you sound like Nancy Nix on your postulation. Do you actually think a property owner would desire to accumulate property vacated, and add that cost to the valuation at 35% from the county? If so, I recommend you find another avenue to supplement your retirement income, but investment strategies is not one of them . This year alone, there are 10,000 cases before the OHIO BTA associated with property tax appeals originating from the BOR in Ohio counties. Simply adding land does nothing to stimulate demand, and therefore, valuation. All one would be stimulating is more artificially elevated valuation by land, but the price point on selling the land, will not rise when including it in the property. 4500 sq ft on 3.5 acres now in Middletown sells for about $150,000., so no one in their right mind, from a business acumen perspective, would absorb land thinking it pumps up their property value. And I assure you, 99% of Middletown home owners, and commercial owners as well, understand that. They would have no interest in absorbing the land, so the city will have it, and pay no taxes on it, and it will sit, and sit....just like the C State property will.

And with land, there is still mowing costs weekly. So, what is gained from the destruction of property? Vandalism reduction? There are more concerns about home invasions in Middletown, than vandalism to property vacated. And the upkeep on mowing will be a city responsibility. While you might buy the property, the vast majority will not, because of the burden of taxation with no upside return.

You need to begin thinking like an economist, not a CPA accountant, with all due respect.

Well, everyone should now know what the MMF business plan would be focused, and that is how to make $$$ off the buildings the city buys, and what return they will get. The cartel that drove the car into the ditch, now is driving your car into the ditch. And no one knows why there isn't market demand in Middletown?

acclaro,

I retired at the age of 50 and enjoy a six figure income from my real estate investments (90% of which are in Middletown). Unless you can state the same, I don’t need your advice when it comes to making sound real estate decisions. Your economic analysis makes sense EXCEPT it doesn’t account for the increased valuation as a result of removing the blight from your neighborhood. In addition, and over time, the demand that is lacking will come as a result. I said nothing about simply adding land…. I said that I would be adding land while removing nearby blight. That is the part that you obviously don’t understand. With all due respect…. this is what I know and if 99% Middletown homebuyers agree with you, then the odds are stacked in my favor. You should stick to business & leave the real estate to the pros.

GG

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 8:23pm
acclaro,

I retired at the age of 50 and enjoy a six figure income from my real estate investments (90% of which are in Middletown). Unless you can state the same, I don’t need your advice when it comes to making sound real estate decisions. Your economic analysis makes sense EXCEPT it doesn’t account for the increased valuation as a result of removing the blight from your neighborhood. In addition, and over time, the demand that is lacking will come as a result. I said nothing about simply adding land…. I said that I would be adding land while removing nearby blight. That is the part that you obviously don’t understand. With all due respect…. this is what I know and if 99% Middletown homebuyers agree with you, then the odds are stacked in my favor. You should stick to business & leave the real estate to the pros.

GG
WOW
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 9:49pm
GG, having spent 5 years in PWC's Global merger/ acquisition practice doing due diligence on corporate acquisitions, I think I know a few things or two, about how to quantify valuation. I won't boast, but the numbers you reference are not even an associate level within these firms, let alone Partner level in top tier firms, I have been a senior partner at McKinsey and PWC, lets leave it at that on income. As for real estate pro, there is no upscale renatl property in Middletown. You own rentals, most are slum landlords. You aren't the guy who bought the Booth property on Rosedale are you, that's been empty for 3 months. If so, get a paint job on the two story colonial, that house is a mess.  They moved to Springboro and knew when to get out of Middletown.

Wofford is a party school, and anyone can get it with money. Furmon is far superior.  
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 10:28pm
The Top Ten Things You’ll Never Hear A Consultant Say

10.     “You’re right; we’re billing way too much for this.”

9.     “Bet you I can go a week without saying “synergy” or “value-added”.

8.     “How about paying us based on the success of the project?”

7.     “This whole strategy is based on a Furman economics case I read.”

6.     “Actually, the only difference is that we charge more than they do.”

5.     “I don’t know enough to speak intelligently about that.”

4.     “Implementation? I only care about writing long reports.”

3.     “I can’t take the credit. It was Ed in your purchasing department.”

2.     “The problem is, you have too much work for too few people.”

1.     “Everything looks okay to me.”

GG
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 10:36pm
Why%20Wofford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic