FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPECIAL COUNCIL MEETING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 10:57pm
I have just expended the effort to re-read every post that Greygoose has made on this forum, and had concluded my previous conclusion that Greygoose was actually Mr. Adkins was in error. 
When I returned to post this admission, and saw this recent exchange between he and Acclaro, I think that my new conclusion is confirmed!!!  Big%20smile
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 9:42am
Mike: HINT-  Need to build his own legacy, Father in Real Estate and Development, Need to Leave To Build his own Empire. "Blight" was the giveaway word. They just give him the talking points. His motivation- investments, to build what he could not in the south. And he thought Middletown was a better opportunity? I got in with a business partner early in HHI, I know a few things about real estate. DA complicit, but you had it right the first time. Carry on Dr. Watson.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 11:28am
I have just expended the effort to re-read every post that Greygoose has made on this forum, and had concluded my previous conclusion that Greygoose was actually Mr. Adkins was in error.
When I returned to post this admission, and saw this recent exchange between he and Acclaro, I think that my new conclusion is confirmed!!!

MikeP,

I’m most definitely not Mr. Adkins. I am a citizen, like you, that just wants the best for his hometown. Yesterday, I posted an excerpt that I read from the Pittsburgh Quarterly that really sums up my advocacy for the Moving Ohio Forward program.

The impact of vacant property extends beyond economic loss. Its role in unraveling the quality of life in a neighborhood and dimming the outlook of its residents is well documented. Nothing signals neglect and disinvestment more than a street peppered with empty, overgrown lots and abandoned houses. Not only do neighborhood residents get the message, but the larger community gets it as well. And once that happens, restoring community pride and engagement and convincing others to come in and invest becomes a much taller order.

We can disagree on what should be the priority for our city or the tactics used to fund those priorities but I seriously doubt that you don’t see the truth in the above statement. I truly understand that the city has other, pressing, needs. It is just “my” belief that this issue is the priority because, if not addressed, restoring community pride will be next to impossible to achieve and without it, what do you really have.

For the record, I have a lot of respect for acclaro’s opinion’s and have stated so. Yesterday, I felt that his response to my opinion crossed the “courtesy & respect” line and just wanted to remind him of such. Nothing more & nothing less.

GG

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 11:57am
Wofford is a swell school, my son almost went there before hitting Davidson instead. I'd find my fame in fortune down around KI, Charleston, or Corolla on the OB, but not Middletown. There is no place nor respect for a surrogate doing the bidding for DA, especially one venturing from W to seek fame and fortune.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 12:06pm
acclaro,

Are the Wofford comments directed toward me?

GG
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 12:35pm
acclaro,

I get it…. first you thought that I was AJ Smith and now you think that I am Patrick Kay. I’ve been giving you way too much credit. I really don’t know why it matters. Why is it that someone with a varying opinion must be an “insider” or a “plant”? I tried to provide you proof one other time when I stated that I worked for Spider’s father in a south Dayton suburb back in the mid 70’s. Do you think that this is something that Patrick Kay would know? Based on his LinkedIn Profile, he was wasn’t yet born.

I am nothing more than a citizen with strong roots to this city. Almost my entire family worked in “the mill” and I have the old yellow, plastic, flashlights to prove it. This town has treated me well over the years and I only hope that it has a prosperous future. There is no other agenda ……… get over it.

GG
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 12:50pm
Easy "head-fake." Personally, I would have chosen CoC, Citadel, or Presbyterian College.

http://youtu.be/IsXynepjTvc

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 1:06pm
Greygoose:

The cost to the taxpayers EVERY YEAR for extra fake, historically inaccurate lights on South Main Street will be enough to demolish one additional blighted house.  You say that demolishing the blighted houses is more important than repairing our streets.  Do you agree that demolishing blighted houses is more important than fake gas lights on S. Main St.???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 1:47pm

Greygoose:

I think that if you go back through my posts you will not find even one instance where I spoke against removing blight.  Where that activity should rank on our city’s list of priorities is a whole other, lengthy discussion.

My gripe has been that, once AGAIN the same people who say that we are broke and that there is no money available (whether it be for streets, police, firefighters, sewers, or a large vat of hot tar and truckload of feathers) have sudden “found” a big wad of dough when it was needed for something that the “right” people want to do ... AGAIN!!!  That and the fact that, when it happened, NO ONE sitting behind the curvy counter even raised an eyebrow…AGAIN!!!

Perhaps you’ve noticed that I’ve used the phrase “tucked away in one of our other accounts” in quotes.  That is because it actually is an exact quote…of words spoken by the previous Finance Director a few years ago when a previous Council had backed themselves into a similar corner.  He proudly stated during a council meeting that he had just found $350,000 “tucked away in one of our other accounts” and no one in the room batted an eyelash.  (I was watching at home and nearly soiled my pants.)  If I recall correctly, he “found” it right after a tax levy that council was counting on had failed.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 1:49pm
Goose is obviously not one of the city team or a plant.
Obviously I either know him or know of him.
We should be happy that he is sharing his thinking with us.
We should all learn from each other, and we have never had much problem
With disagreeing around here.

Land banking?
I have no clue
Don't understand how tearing down so many old houses and leaving
empty lots will help much in the near future. We have serious immediate issues
that are being ignored conveniently, with land banking being our savior dujour.

Surely would help if we could all get along and work together.
Like Mr.A, but don't know if he can pull it off legally.
The others down there---?????
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 2:33pm
Greygoose:
I think that if you go back through my posts you will not find even one instance where I spoke against removing blight. Where that activity should rank on our city’s list of priorities is a whole other, lengthy discussion.
My gripe has been that, once AGAIN the same people who say that we are broke and that there is no money available (whether it be for streets, police, firefighters, sewers, or a large vat of hot tar and truckload of feathers) have sudden “found” a big wad of dough when it was needed for something that the “right” people want to do ...AGAIN!!! That and the fact that, when it happened, NO ONE sitting behind the curvy counter even raised an eyebrow…AGAIN!!!
Perhaps you’ve noticed that I’ve used the phrase “tucked away in one of our other accounts” in quotes. That is because it actually is an exact quote…of words spoken by the previous Finance Director a few years ago when a previous Council had backed themselves into a similar corner. He proudly stated during a council meeting that he had just found $350,000 “tucked away in one of our other accounts” and no one in the room batted an eyelash. (I was watching at home and nearly soiled my pants.) If I recall correctly, he “found” it right after a tax levy that council was counting on had failed.

MikeP,

I absolutely understand the point that you are making and do not dispute it. If you’ve read my recent posts, you will see that I was trying to support the “cause” but not the manner in which it was being supported (because I don’t). I am just trying to make sure that my viewpoint on the city’s leadership has a strong basis in fact. Keep throwing it out there…… your comments have more effect on me than you may think. Any statement that causes me to “ponder” my current opinion is a good thing and as I have stated before, my opinions continue to evolve because I am fairly new in this arena.

GG

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 2:55pm
Goose is obviously not one of the city team or a plant.
Obviously I either know him or know of him.
We should be happy that he is sharing his thinking with us.
We should all learn from each other, and we have never had much problem
With disagreeing around here.

Land banking?
I have no clue
Don't understand how tearing down so many old houses and leaving
empty lots will help much in the near future. We have serious immediate issues
that are being ignored conveniently, with land banking being our savior dujour.

Surely would help if we could all get along and work together.
Like Mr.A, but don't know if he can pull it off legally.
The others down there---?????

Spider,

Based on past statements that you have made on this board, I am pretty comfortable that you are not hiding your identity to any great degree. With that said, I’ll let you know that we have met but do not know each other. If I am correct about your identity, your father opened a satellite operation in a south Dayton suburb in which I lived in the mid 70’s. The whole community was “buzzing” about a unique industry concept that I believe your father invented that took customer service to a whole new level. I was privileged to work for him.

I appreciate your comments. I enjoy the exchange of ideas that this forum provides and will do my best to keep things civil. Don’t be surprised if someone taps you on the shoulder in the near future and introduces himself as Mr. Greygoose.

GG

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 3:08pm
Acclaro- Nice to here some one local hitting the books at Davidson. Sibling teaches there. I would encourage all to again contact your councilman and let them know that a vote is a vote. Beyond disappointed in this decision to "Vote again". What do you do with empty lots? What do you do with empty housing stock? Magic money!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 3:59pm
The "blight" is but one zit among many on the blemished face of our town (and we also have below the skin conditions and illnesses which are unseen but killers nonetheless).  What no one has mentioned is that while hundreds of abandoned older homes are an eyesore, so are THOUSANDS of the occupied older homes.  If we're worried about outside impressions, there are many occupied homes in dozens of sections around town that do our image no favors.  Unfortunately, getting rid of a few hundred homes is a drop in the bucket in the rehabbing of this town's overall appearance.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 4:22pm
GS, great school, your sibling is smart, Davidson is a tough school, 1000 kids that could have easily gone to Harvard or Yale.

Bill, your point is well made, but again the fallacy here is once again, the lack of recognition it is not a supply issue, and blight, it is a demand issue. But, I think I get your point. And that is removing only part of blight leaves significant more, that hinders interest, and therefore, market demand. In sum, we reach the same conclusion. Net sum gain----a resounding 0.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 4:25pm
Bill,

Stepped up code enforcement is needed but, if it comes to be, it won't be popular.

GG
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 4:33pm
A startling oxymoron.

The worse offender in blight in the city of Middletown, is the city itself, Can it fine itself for its negligence, malfeasance, ineptitude? It is the cause of blight. Yet you GG argue property powners cause the problems. You haven't looked at the roads, the sewers, the curbs in disarray, and the terrible manner the city maintains its own assets.

That is what you continue to miss in your solution, and adoption landlords are the cause of blight. They are a minor problem.

The biggest culprit? The city itself. Lets try putting some asphalt down GG and cure the street blight, and work our way back to paint and a nail that needs to be reset on an apartment, how about it.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by greygoose greygoose wrote:

Bill,

Stepped up code enforcement is needed but, if it comes to be, it won't be popular.

GG

GG...

Code enforcement has already visited us in the form of rusty gutters, paint falling off of garages and more. City even had a low interest loan program for some to fix up their houses. Some couldn't afford that either. Happened a year or two ago, then, as quickly as it was announced, it disappeared. Haven't heard nor read where the city was hammering the people lately.

The city has already demonstrated code enforcement for properties in need of repairs. In the last few years (can't remember when it was implemented) the city had inspectors out in the city and were writing citations for home repair. If interested in this subject, I will direct you to the section of this forum entitled Community Revitalization- page 5. There, you can read all about the program and the reactions. (there are other topics within this section that will give you an overview of what has transpired with code enforcement).
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 6:58pm
GG  You mentioned a while back that your thought process was evolving when it came to the leadership in this town that is the city manager. I thought you had also said you worked with several of the upper management people. My ? is what do you think of the leadership of our town. If you have reviewed this I apologize I have had other issues to attend to and have not been following much of these post. 
   Acclaro- I am being told the Mens B-Ball team is looking very good this year I hope they show again in the finals. I'll message you so your son may avoid my siblings classes very, very tough, only  joking. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 7:15pm
Ground Swat, thanks, he'll be glad to know. Actually, they are all great down there and do a nice job one on one. We watched Seth Curry and enjoyed that. They are really something, they had pulled out the former UVa coach and made him athletic director, and they always play UNC-Chapel Hill tough. It takes a smart sibling to teach at Davidson, you have to be smarter than the student, and those students are pretty darn smart.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2012 at 8:38am

A startling oxymoron.

The worse offender in blight in the city of Middletown, is the city itself, Can it fine itself for its negligence, malfeasance, ineptitude? It is the cause of blight. Yet you GG argue property powners cause the problems. You haven't looked at the roads, the sewers, the curbs in disarray, and the terrible manner the city maintains its own assets.

That is what you continue to miss in your solution, and adoption landlords are the cause of blight. They are a minor problem.

The biggest culprit? The city itself. Lets try putting some asphalt down GG and cure the street blight, and work our way back to paint and a nail that needs to be reset on an apartment, how about it.

acclaro,

I would agree that the city is the single largest contributor to our blight problem. Does that invalidate my argument that landlords contribute heavily to the problem…. of course not. I will say, again, that I recognize the street and infrastructure problems. I would support street repair over demolition if the city was incentivized to do so. As it stands now, I feel that the bigger impact would be the removal of blight. For the record, I am not anti-landlord but the city must reduce its current percentage of rentals (currently 40%) as part of its strategy to get healthy. I am surprised to hear you state that rental properties are a minor blight problem….. we must be viewing different neighborhoods. Would you be OK with your next door neighbors renting their homes?

GG

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2012 at 9:03am
GG You mentioned a while back that your thought process was evolving when it came to the leadership in this town that is the city manager. I thought you had also said you worked with several of the upper management people. My ? is what do you think of the leadership of our town. If you have reviewed this I apologize I have had other issues to attend to and have not been following much of these post.
Acclaro- I am being told the Mens B-Ball team is looking very good this year I hope they show again in the finals. I'll message you so your son may avoid my siblings classes very, very tough, only joking.

ground swat,

As you mentioned, my opinions are still forming. Currently, I would rank as follows on a scale from 1 - 5:

Adkins          5
Gilliland     4
Landon          3
Kohler          0
Smith          1
Laubach          4
Jones          4
Mayor          2
Others          3

It is no secret that that I agree with most of what Mr. Adkins has been doing. I think that his strategies will benefit the city in the long term. My viewpoint on Ms. Gilliland is primarily based on my personal dealings with her. I know that this viewpoint isn’t shared by many on this board and I am looking into her performance otherwise. Landon doesn’t impress me but he appears to do his job of keeping the city out of hot water. Kohler should be fired tomorrow. He has done irreparable harm to the city over the years. Smith doesn’t have enough life experience to be in the position that he is in. Although I didn’t agree with his decision concerning the Moving Ohio Forward vote, Laubach took a step up in my mind by voting his conscience…. what he thought was best for the city. I think that Ms. Jones puts much thought behind her decisions. The mayor took a step back in my mind when he wouldn’t accept a council vote because it didn’t agree with his opinion. None of the other council members stand out to me one way or the other. JMHO

GG

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2012 at 12:20pm
GG thnx for your honest answer- taking a break from cleaning up storm damage on the iPhone so I just wanted to get back to you. At some point I'll message you and explain some dealings with this city manager that I have had.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 10:06pm
From MJ:
Another wrinkle?
Excerpt:

Portman asks EPA to rethink regulation

Sen. Rob Portman last week urged the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to rethink a regulation that demolitions of vacant properties be subject to an EPA rule governing asbestos removal.

Portman, R-Ohio, said the regulation has effectively barred Ohio land banks and others from demolishing vacant and foreclosed-upon homes. The state has some 100,000 vacant properties awaiting demolition, and Ohio groups – led by the Thriving Communities Initiative in Cleveland – argue that the EPA’s reinterpretation of federal regulations governing asbestos removal has gummed up the process and made it costlier for cities and land banks to demolish such properties.

In a letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson, Portman said that the EPA has recently begun reinterpreting federal regulations to require nearly all demolition to be subject to rules on asbestos removal. Starting today, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine is scheduled begin releasing $75 million to Ohio counties and land banks for demolition purposes. Portman said because of the new rules, 25 to 40 percent fewer properties will be demolished with these dollars.

“Given the staggering cost increases and the growing need for demolitions, I urge you to work with the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and local stakeholders to reassess this regulation’s impact on local land banks and the communities they serve,” he wrote.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 7:46am

In a letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson, Portman said that the EPA has recently begun reinterpreting federal regulations to require nearly all demolition to be subject to rules on asbestos removal.

I noticed that the City is paying between $400 - $800 per house for an asbestos survey.  I’m not sure why this would be needed in residential property since most products that contain asbestos are usually easily seen with nothing more than a walk around the property.
    It has been my experience that older commercial properties seem to have more asbestos products that a contractor would need to be concerned about.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic