FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Better Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Better Middletown
    Posted: Jun 30 2012 at 6:36pm
I tried to post the following in the new "A Better Middletown" category, but I did not "have permission" to do so Ouch:

I’ll be the first to post in this new MiddletownUSA category by opining that the most important issue we must solve to lead to “A Better Middletown” is that of crime in our city.

I had occasion to spend the best part of last Friday as an observer in the Middletown Municipal Court room. I was appalled and alarmed to see the amazing number of repeat offenders and their apparent disregard for the law. Especially dismaying was the large number of female offenders.

In my opinion, we can bring all of the arts, fine dining, and community colleges to town and do all the clearing of blight, and property code enforcement that even the most ardent supporters of these activities can imagine in their wildest dreams, and Middletown’s future will not become one bit brighter unless we take prompt and meaningful actions to address the substantial crime problems in our city.

Since we have over a million dollars in our General Fund which is now available to be “reallocated”, I believe that our city and its citizenry will be better served if it is immediately reallocated towards fighting this problem.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2012 at 6:44pm

I am unsure as to the answer to the above problem, but perhaps a good first step might be a “Sheriff Joe Arpaio-type” expansion of our city jail.  Perhaps we need to make it clearly known to all criminal types that Middletown is NOT the place where they want to conduct their activities because they will be very, very sorry of the result when they get caught.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2012 at 11:31pm
Its a joke how easy repeat offenders get off it offers no incintive to not commit crimes.Why do they even bother arresting them hell that would solve the cities financial issues just lay off all the cops errr never mind we need them to harras law abiding citizens that go a few miles over the speed limit LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Its a joke how easy repeat offenders get off it offers no incintive to not commit crimes....
Bocephus,
That is why I mentioned expanding the size (and the harshness) of the jail. From what I could see and hear last Friday, the convicted offenders were getting fined heavily and sentenced to jail terms.  However, they had no assets to pay the fines, and there was not enough room in the jail to hold them all, so they were credited with "time served" and the remainder of the sentence had to be suspended.  I don't believe that we have room to hold everyone that really belongs in jail.  I think that the judges' hands are tied due to lack of jail space.

The unallocated $1.1 million could make a start towards locking some of these repeat offenders up.  If they get locked up every time, for a longer period each time, perhaps they will move away (taking their Section 8 vouchers, if they have them, with them) and practice their criminal activities somewhere that they won't face such harsh penalties.

Then Middletown WILL begin to have a "brighter future"!!!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 8:31am
amen Mr.P and Bocephus
try doing business in my current location
the changing of my neighborhood has been overwhelming
Crime from the rail tracks east to Supthin is skyrocketing, and heading right in to the Highlands(gasp!)
like a Tsunami. Good business owners can deal with competition, however they are up against it vs. a never-ending spiraling wave of criminal activity and poverty.

Which leads to a wonderful 1yo organization called Middletown Business Watch(started by my wife!)
LARGE(and growing) group of local business owners banding together WITH the police dept.and local Chamber of Commerce. No acknowledgement or recognition from Council or Admin though(hmmmmm?)
Only visits from candidates RUNNING for Council, who never re-appear(or give us a mention) after the election.

Ya might want to watch this week's Council meeting for a brief introduction/presentation/message.

We NEED community support(NO--we don't want yer $$!)
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>I am unsure as to the answer to the above problem, but
perhaps a good first step might be a “Sheriff Joe </span><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-: EN;' lang="EN">Arpaio-type” expansion of our city jail.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>Perhaps we need to make it clearly known to
all criminal types that Middletown is NOT the place where they want to conduct
their activities because they will be very, very sorry of the result when they
get caught.</span><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></span>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

That's right Mike. Stick the little problem kids (male-female alike) out under a tent in a fenced-in area of town in this 100 degree weather with one bottle of water to last all day to do their time. Give 'em one Porta-Potty to use. Let 'em learn rationing. No more jail with air conditioning for their pampered carcass. Make them serve every day, hour and minute of the sentence handed down by the judge. Let 'em sweat a little and feel some discomfort. Take 'em out in the heat to pick up trash around the city., and if they complain, tack on an extra day or two per complaint so that they learn to keep their mouth shut and learn the rules. Make it as unpleasant as you can. Maybe some, not all, as some are too ignorant to learn, won't return. Like the schools, the current method offers no effective deterrent to stop the behavior. It is a joke. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 9:37am

Mr. Presta I have the answer to your problem. In fact my answer solves several problems at the same time.
All we need to do is put bars on the windows of the Manchester Inn and we will have new digs for the prisoners. After all it is right next door to City Hall. The prisoners would only need to walk across the parking lot to appear in court. And Ms Judy with a smile on her face can look out her office window and say “this is a good thing for our City.”

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 10:38am
No, you are all wrong.

Recall Judge Wall stated all it took was Cincinnati State coming, and instead of crime, criminals would be pursuing education. There is some truth to that, and perhaps with the money being raised to entice students, and jail time, that's a solution. Instead of six months in jail, you have an option of taking two semesters at Cincinnati State.

I disagree about the jail. Middletown should close its court and jail, but that is the only source for feeding the few remaining attorneys in Middletown, and the public funding they get from the county and state. The question is, what is driving crime, the inability to find work in Middletown? Well, throwing them in jail doesn't solve the problem. It perpetuates a circuitous circle of jain in, jail out, jail in...et al.

Putting $$$ in the jail is a bad idea. Use the money (or a portion thereof), to invest in education for those in crime (low offenders) to get an Associates Degree and then work. Self esteem and a job solves problems, expansion of a jail does nothing.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

No, you are all wrong.Recall Judge Wall stated all it took was Cincinnati State coming, and instead of crime, criminals would be pursuing education. There is some truth to that, and perhaps with the money being raised to entice students, and jail time, that's a solution. Instead of six months in jail, you have an option of taking two semesters at Cincinnati State.I disagree about the jail. Middletown should close its court and jail, but that is the only source for feeding the few remaining attorneys in Middletown, and the public funding they get from the county and state. The question is, what is driving crime, the inability to find work in Middletown? Well, throwing them in jail doesn't solve the problem. It perpetuates a circuitous circle of jain in, jail out, jail in...et al. Putting $$$ in the jail is a bad idea. Use the money (or a portion thereof), to invest in education for those in crime (low offenders) to get an Associates Degree and then work. Self esteem and a job solves problems, expansion of a jail does nothing.  

Interesting thought.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 1:59pm
acclaro:

"Recall Judge Wall stated all it took was Cincinnati State coming, and instead of crime, criminals would be pursuing education"

I doubt it. A rather naive statement to make by Walls. Criminals don't pursue educational opportunities. Criminals pursue "breaking the law" activities. A result of their background and upbringing. It is what they know. They have never been shown that there are more ways to make money than to steal it. Never shown that an education might improve their lives. No role model to follow toward education....just crime. A dad, older brother, mother, best friend to watch growing up....and follow in their footsteps.

acclaro:

"Putting $$$ in the jail is a bad idea. Use the money (or a portion thereof), to invest in education for those in crime (low offenders) to get an Associates Degree and then work. Self esteem and a job solves problems, expansion of a jail does nothing"

With all due respect acclaro, trying to instill self esteem into a person who chooses to steal copper from a construction site to buy their drugs, instilling self esteem in a person who robs or commits armed robbery in a convenience store or instilling self esteem in a person who uses or sells drugs is a bit of a stretch. Offering them classes at CS? Doubt if they have the mindset to take the offer. Not the type to sit in a class and learn the subject matter taught, coming from the background that has lead them to the criminal element in society. Three ways to go to deal with them. The current "no-deterrent" method where they laugh at the system, only to repeat offenses. Do as you suggest and offer them a shot at a better life through education, which most, I believe would not take advantage of, or do as I suggest.....make life so hard on them when they are convicted, that they wish they never chose the criminal life they did.

acclaro:

"The question is, what is driving crime, the inability to find work in Middletown?"

I would imagine a certain percentage of the crime would be here even if the town was booming. I would guess that the city leaders accepting any and all Section 8 candidates has something to do with it. I would also guess that a percentage of crime could be attributed to people from Dayton, Cincinnati and outside the city coming to town and committing crime. According to the Journal and the police, crime is increased by the presence of gangs in Middletown that are now being cleared out. The fact that Middletown has become the SW Ohio ghetto capital and the invited poverty that has become the norm here, contributes also. Finally, your suggestion of a lack of work for the people certainly has a bearing on growing crime as people become more desperate.

All we have to do is put people back to work, eliminate the drawing card for the outside criminal element to come to town and close the door on Section 8, stopping the practice of putting out the welcome mat for low income to make a dent in the crime. Impossible to do with the current mindset of the city leaders. Cleaning council/city building houses and replacing with the right people would start us in the right direction. Also impossible to do with the current mindset of the apathetic citizens.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 5:03pm
I work as a search consultant.  If you have a criminal record, good luck finding a job.  Even with a Baccalaureate degree or higher.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

I work as a search consultant.  If you have a criminal record, good luck finding a job.  Even with a Baccalaureate degree or higher.
Rngermed,
From what I could see and hear (How can I put this sensitively?) for many of these characters, I doubt that finding a job is a high priority.  Many seem to prefer a life of surviving on a variety of government programs supplemented by the profits from their criminal activities.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 6:24pm
I know what you mean.  And I know the type without being there.  I just get frustrated when people preach that education will fix the issue.  Well, maybe education would have fixed the issue prior to them becoming life long offenders. 

It may not be daily, but pretty close, that I talk to a candidate that has no shot of a career change or finding anything because of his criminal record. And most are educated.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 8:09pm
I tend to disagree with acclaro and the Judge on this one.  Maybe they are correct if we're looking long term but not immediately.  For immediate impact I do think a large jail and a reputatiion for maximum sentences would clean up some trashy characters off the street when they do offend and might scare off some others.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 8:32pm
maybe quite a few here need to spend a month or so down in the court room to see what is really going on there

It is incredible and frightening
Then again--maybe y'all are better off not knowing

As mentioned--education is not in the mind set of most offenders, and you really can't educate someone who doesn't want to be educated.

Last time I was there for an issue, it was the person's 72nd time in the court room
his pd pleaded that his client was ready to change his life
maybe he needs education!
Cincy State?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 10:24pm
Spiderjohn:
I agree.  On Friday, one person was there for the 43rd time...probably more times than he would attend any class.

The judge did reccommend community college as a way out for a couple of the first-timers as a better option than continuing their life of crime, but he seemed resigned to the fact that such a suggestion would be falling on deaf ears for most.  (Or, perhaps he had already suggested additional education to most of them a few dozen times each already???)
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

maybe quite a few here need to spend a month or so down in the court room to see what is really going on there

It is incredible and frightening
Then again--maybe y'all are better off not knowing
You are spot on here also, Spiderjohn.

One note of caution though, if anyone is thinking about visiting the court for a day:

Don't take your wife if you aren't willing to teach her (or have her taught) to handle firearms.

I'm going to look into a course for both my wife and my daughter.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 9:01am
Mike this would be a good thing to take firearm courses in self defence.. do alot of target shooting with the ladies so they feel confident in useing a handgun safely, the ccw course i took with real good Instructors.. look at this web page they are in morrow. you can split a 12 hr. class on sundays with them..this  is their web site littlemiamitactical.com  you might want to start out small with a 22 cal then once the ladies get used to the smaller guns then go for the real knock down power you need in self defence,the mid size 40 cal or the mid size 45 cal . IMO GLOCK has the best!!! LOL 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2012 at 7:43am
middletown business watch:
made a nice presentation last night during citizen comments
disappointing that only Joe Mullifgan gave them any recognition

the rest of the Council session was the usual begging, pleading, whining chaos that we now expect and get every two weeks.

More talks of mysterious money-shuffling and pandering to the former downtown area's special interests and "entitled "wanters" instead of those who honestly "need"

crime efforts take a back seat to fake expensive ornamental sidewalk lights

fine if ya want 'em--just install/pay for them yerself and leave the rest of us out of it.

pretty nice to get a small section of your street paved for free, city subsidized sidewalk light addition with the rest of town picking up the monthly tab for operating these lights.

Can my street be next?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2012 at 8:20am
Why citizens comments? This town can't even run a meeting. This was a presentation correct? As stated before Middletowns motto: " Lets do it we'll figure out the cost later". How much have we spent on the research for these lights? They wanted their "Island" so do the research pay for it yourself. Rome is burning. Spider this council is without a doubt a mixed up group. Regardless of how you feel about the ward system ending, the less we have behind that table the better. Thanks Picard for bringing us all back to our senses for how bright our future is. Downtown I guess is the end of the rainbow? Bravo to Mrs. Dillman for standing up and forcing the issue about the crime problem in this town. Shame on this City Manager for not attending these meetings even when we have AG folks down from the state. Truth hurts what piss poor leadership. On another note lets remember those without power today, going to be a hot one again.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2012 at 12:49pm
what we have become
featuring the classic line:
"He can't find a job, but he's found a gun."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaojfdxYsK4
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2012 at 12:00pm

One video deserves another.

I've been reading John Gatto for many years and agree with his assessment of American schooling. Really more of a podcast than video but if you can endure his delivery, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

"Death by Pedagogy: A Teacher's Polemic Against Institutional Learning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4fKbbv_b9o&

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2012 at 3:43pm

Reading some of the comments on this subject caused me to do a little research.

The Middletown City jail holds 80 inmates, in a city of 48K that’s not a lot of jail space. That alone makes it really hard to keep people in jail for the minor crimes. For most major crimes the inmates are sent to Butler County where they can hold close to 1,000 inmates. Both jails are at capacity as of today.  That means to lock someone up right now someone has to be let out. So who do you let out? I do agree that things should be much tougher on repeat offenders. But there is nowhere to put them.

The fact is that Middletown’s crime rate be it petty crime or the more serious crimes are a major issue. The problem affects everyone from business owners to home owners. Is section 8 the cause of all these problems? I have no doubt that the high numbers of vouchers have a played a serious role in the crime in this town. There is a bigger picture to look at.

The bigger picture is this. Number of Prisoners: 1st place is U S: 2,019,234 & 2nd place is China 1,549,000 The U S has 1200 prisons

There are too many people in prison in this county. Look around at the laws that lock up people for the same things over and over again. The prison system itself is soft on the inmates. Cable TV work out rooms and sports and it is all free to them.
No one that has been to prison fears going back;

I remember years ago a kid (from Dayton I think) was arrested in Singapore for spray painting a car. The law for that crime was to be publically flogged.
Source wikipedia:
Michael Peter Fay (born May 30, 1975) is an American who briefly gained international notoriety when he was sentenced to caning in Singapore as an 18-year-old in 1994 for theft and vandalism. Caning is a routine court sentence in Singapore but most Americans were unfamiliar with it, and Fay's case was believed to be the first caning involving an American citizen.[1]
The number of cane strokes in his sentence was reduced from six to four after U.S. officials requested leniency.
Michael Fay duly received four strokes of the cane across his bare buttocks on May 5, 1994 at Queenstown Remand Centre.
Do you think that Fay messed with another car in Singapore? Maybe it is time to stop locking them up and start bringing out the cane.  
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 6:22am
randy: "Both jails are at capacity as of today. That means to lock someone up right now someone has to be let out. So who do you let out?"

You don't let anyone out. You find a contained area with high fences. Construct some open air tents and set a couple of Porta-Pots out there and let them enjoy the outdoors, be it heat or cold. Of course, then, you'll have to contend with the bleeding heart/kinder-gentler/prisoners have rights ACLU who are part of the problem with the promotion of relaxing discipline in society. It is a free-for-all now. Dam near do anything you want nowadays and receive a painful "slap on the wrist" from these weak judges. The criminal element isn't intimidated anymore by the police, the judges nor the court system. Every time they are given a lecture, let off with a fine or handed a suspended sentence, it re-enforces their lack of respect for the law. JMO

randy: "Maybe it is time to stop locking them up and start bringing out the cane"

Bingo! But will never happen. (when does the right thing happen anymore in today's society?) Look at how much the politicians (and criminals- same thing) are getting away with now....at all levels. Look at the schools and the lack of any respect for authority given by the kids. ( if we just show little Johnny some kindness, he'll straighten up and fly right....as little Johnny laughs at them (and plays them like a cheap violin) Look at the defiant looks on the faces of the criminals....it has become a game to them and the game had it's fear factor taken from it years ago as we became more kind and gentle, thinking we could rehabilitate most of them. It is a joke to pretend that these people will change for the better if we are nice to them. They just laugh and play the system to the hilt with appeal after appeal, release and repeat offense after release......Just wondering what is going through a cops mind when they arrest someone for the 15th time, just to see them back out on the street again in 24 hours. The rules in society have gone down the toilet because we actually pay attention to the ACLU and the other "be kind-criminals have rights" crap. Why? JMO again.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 9:03am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

The rules in society have gone down the toilet because we actually pay attention to the ACLU and the other "be kind-criminals have rights" crap.

Agree! When I wake up every morning and read stories along the lines of some idiot smashing through a glass door with his bare hands to steal half a dozen bags of chips from a Subway.. there is clearly no real concern for the consequences of one's actions.

We have grown soft, we have grown complacent, and we have become brainwashed with the idea that pleasantries, instead of punishment, can solve our crime problem.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic