FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Demolitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 5:22pm
Ok, OK, OK........

In theory....... it could happen. I was asked to provide proof that it didn't happen and posted a letter from the Regional HUD Director that stated that it didn't. If you want to believe otherwise, knock yourself out! I tend do believe what HUD has to say about the matter.

GG
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2012 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by greygoose greygoose wrote:

VV, MikeP,

Wow…… I just provided you the stongest evidence out there other than a census and you still want to maintain your postion? Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably. Does that equate to Middletown becoming a magnate for the poor…absolutely not. Vivian has it right….. there were a large chunk of folks that transferred from public housing to the voucher program. It is OK to change your position on a subject when new information is presented to you. I agree that Section 8 has not been good for our city, but it did not result in a migration of the poor that you suggest…..it just helped to institutionalize the poor folks that already lived here.

GG
Greygoose,

I might accept your criticism regarding my “position” except for the following reasons:

1.     I have never taken a “position” on Section 8, and I defy you to quote any supposed “position” that you think I have taken and cite the source.  I have occasionally complimented individuals on specific arguments (regardless of which side of the issue they have taken), and I have occasionally injected informational posts into threads on the issue.

2.     I believe that my recollections regarding the “local residency preference” are accurate.  I provided it because I watch local (city) government and politics as close or closer than nearly anyone else on this forum (if not in this city) and I thought that I could help clear up a possible misunderstanding.  I did NOT take a “position” in that post.  I believe that it also explains a possible bias in the “letter from the Regional HUD Director”.  The figures reported to HUD would only report voucher given to local residents.  They would not differentiate whether or not the “local residents” were long-term or had just barely qualified.

3.     It was Middletown City officials, not I, that explained that Middletown’s voucher waiting list was much shorter than all surrounding cities and that people were moving here to establish residency and get on our local residency list.  This was in response to a question from a City Council member about limiting vouchers to local residents after hearing that many of the voucher-holders causing problems were from out-of-town.

If you cannot understand the difference between a longstanding city resident and someone who has been a resident only long enough to meet the definition mandated to receive a preferential treatment regarding vouchers, or if you disagree that ignoring that difference can be “a bit deceiving”, then we will just have to disagree.  But then it is you that refuses to “change your position on a subject when new information is presented to you,” not I.

Also, I actually agree with your premise that the Section 8 program has helped to institutionalize some of the long-time residents who are poor.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2012 at 9:08pm
Can Ohio City's File Chapter 9 Banruptcy?

How many Butler County Section 8 residents (having vouchers issued by Butler County) live in Middletown?

How many Residents from other states who have Section 8 have moved to Middetown (as once you have a voucher, the voucher goes with you)?

PacmanCool
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2012 at 12:27pm

I noticed that Dura Slate was removing the roof from the old Baptist Church on South Main Street, built in 1906. Mr Kohler stated that when all the valuable items are removed the church will be demoed before winter.

The Hardlines Design Company on July 21, 2012 did a full assessment of the old Rose Furniture Company, 36 South Main Street at a cost of $4,900. The roof has a large hole in it that has caused a great deal of damage to the interior of the building. The fate of this building is unknown at this time.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2012 at 12:37pm
Are they going to demo the $500,000 house owned formerly by the General Manager of AK (KR) now up at Mansfield, across from the former home of Dr. Watson, that has been vacant with weeds growing 4 ft tall, with windows open, after foreclosure, where the owners walked away, after realizing they lost 60% of their equity a few months after buying it? 

What about the First Financial Building? Surprised LM spent more time getting pictures with BB and the SunCoke folks, than finding a buyer for the building, or at least, a tenant. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2012 at 1:39pm

Are they going to demo the $500,000 house owned formerly by the General Manager of AK (KR) now up at Mansfield, across from the former home of Dr. Watson, that has been vacant with weeds growing 4 ft tall, with windows open, after foreclosure, where the owners walked away, after realizing they lost 60% of their equity a few months after buying it? 

What about the First Financial Building? Surprised LM spent more time getting pictures with BB and the SunCoke folks, than finding a buyer for the building, or at least, a tenant. 

Acclao
   The new Landing Banking legislation for 2.1 million can only be used for demo.
    However this same legislation allows City Hall to purchase foreclosed property and clear the deed of any liens and back taxes. The question is where will City Hall get the money to invest and rehab these properties to be sold at a later date?
    Also when we clear these deeds we loose all the back taxes on these properties so we have fewer funds for the city coffers.
    Mr. Adkins stated that City Hall would “hand pick” the properties that they would invest in. Will MMF be involved in picking and evaluating these properties is still unknown?

Talking about MMF...what is their real roll in any of these projects? Why did we give them $75,000?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2012 at 8:17am

City Manager’s

Weekly Briefing

July 31, 2012

Orman Building on Verity Parkway

The City has owned this building for 5 or 6 years now, receiving it free through the foreclosure process. Sadly, it is beginning to collapse and we need to address the situation. We are getting prices for two alternatives: 1) demo a portion of the building that is falling down and 2) demo the entire structure. The reason why we are not automtically considering the entire structure is because of the cost. It could run from $500,000 - $1,000,000 for the entire structure. And so we will gather more info and bring to council in the near future for a decision.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2012 at 6:44am
Another great reason why the city needs to be in the real estate business!!!

Building demolition to cost city at least $500K

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —
A partial roof collapse of the Orman building on North Verity Parkway — which caused debris to block the adjacent railroad track — is forcing the city to demolish it sooner than anticipated.

City officials were notified July 27 the roof had collapsed on the northeast wing of the city-owned building at 500 N. Verity Parkway.

Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins the roof is now pushing on the exterior walls. He said the railroad track the debris fell on is active and is being used by “one of our major employers that has a major shipment coming on Aug. 18 and would incurr significant losses if the spur is not cleared by that day.”

That employer is Wausau Paper Co., 700 Columbua Ave.

Vickers Wrecking has been hired to stabilize the collapsing wall and roof for 30 to 90 days and clear the rail for the anticipated shipment for the paper company. The contract will cost the city $75,000.

Adkins said the stabilization is only meant as a “band-aide.”

The city sent out bid packets last week asking companies for cost estimates to raze the vacant city-owned building. Bid packets are due back to the city on Monday. The building was not on any schedule for demolition.

Adkins said it could take 60 to 90 days to demolish the building.

City Manager Judy Gilleland said a rough estimate on demolition is between $500,000 to $1 million.

“This could clearly wipe out one of our last remaining funds for projects,” she said of the city’s downtown fund, which has about $800,000. “It’s unfortunate. We have talked with our insurance company, we’ve looked at a variety of other resources. There may be a grant out there that (Economic Development Manager) Denise (Hamet) is working on pursuing, but it’s doubtful.”

Gilleland said the city has been put in “a reactive situation and we need to take care of the issue
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2012 at 1:55pm
“This could clearly wipe out one of our last remaining funds for projects,” she said of the city’s downtown fund, which has about $800,000. “It’s unfortunate. We have talked with our insurance company, we’ve looked at a variety of other resources. There may be a grant out there that (Economic Development Manager) Denise (Hamet) is working on pursuing, but it’s doubtful.”
One of our last remaining funds ??? How many do they have and why did they lay off Police and Firemen in the 1st place if we had all these funds to use???
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2012 at 10:50am
If i remember over 40. The State recommends know more than the number of Depts. that you have. Certainly know more than a dozen. This should be addresed by council, who would allow for this much chance for poor accounting. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic