FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Demolitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demolitions
    Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 9:29am
List as of 7-05-2012

Demolitions in Process or Upcoming

Sixteenth

Fifteenth

Sixteenth

Auburn

Hill

Yankee Rd

Baltimore

Cleveland

Seneca

Columbia

Girard

Columbia

Charles

Young

Cleveland

Fifteenth

Yankee Rd

Auburn

Seventeenth

Elwood

Roosevelt Ave / 3479 Dixie Hwy

2405-2407

S. Sutphin

S. Sutphin

Yankee Rd

Centennial

Minnesota

Logan

N. Grimes

Fourteenth

Highland

Crescent Blvd

33 Homes x $8,000 Est Demo Cost = $264,000

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 1:36pm

That's quite a list.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 4:36pm
Some of these areas where these streets are you could demo the whole block and Iwouldn't mind. Just saying.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2012 at 6:16am

Randy
With the new Land Bank Program Middletown will demo 300 homes over the next 18 months. I would presume that the majority of the homes will be in the 2nd Ward.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2012 at 11:50am
Have all the homes on this list been deemed too far gone to repair ?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2012 at 2:31pm
I would imagine that it doesn't matter whether these homes can be rehabbed or not; they have the money now to demolish them and that's what they intend to do. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2012 at 3:36pm

TonyB
You are correct. Mr. Adkins stated that the City would demo 300 residents in 18 months.
That’s 100 houses every 6 months. I don’t believe they can accomplish this task within a 18 month time frame for 2.1 million dollars. I will post the demo lists as they are made available to me.

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2012 at 9:02pm
Does Evans have the contract ?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2012 at 5:59pm
The last I recall it cost between 7K & 10K a house to tear them down. The bigger the contract the cheaper the cost may be.

PacmanCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2012 at 6:27am
Today's Journal...

Affordable housing scarce, experts say
Official says public housing needs growing as market rents rise

While there have been signs that the economy is picking up, lower income people are still finding it a challenge to find affordable housing, local experts say.

The city is also in the midst of an ongoing federal investigation of several landlords who were in the Section 8 program. Adkins said three to four landlords have been removed from the Section 8 program for fraud.

He said there are about 1,500 vacant rental units in the city which are leased at market value, according to the 2010 census. In addition, property values in the city have dropped 8 percent and that there are more than 3,000 vacant homes.

Adkins said the Hamilton/Middletown area has the lowest affordable housing in the region but added that “there’s difference between affordable and decent housing.”

“But if you have a minimum wage job, you won’t be able to buy a house because you can’t make a down payment or get a mortgage,” he said.

Adkins said the city is working to remove blighted properties and save what’s good in the city’s housing stock. He said the city works with several organizations to assist people with home repairs

Adkins said the city is working to remove blighted properties and save what’s good in the city’s housing stock. He said the city works with several organizations to assist people with home repairs

PROPERTY VALUES HAVE DROPPED 8 PERCENT AND THERE ARE 3000 VACANT HOMES.....AND THE CITY HAS ADDED TO THE CARNAGE BY WELCOMING ANY AND ALL SECTION 8 VOUCHER PEOPLE, MAXING OUT THE VOUCHER NUMBERS. NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF CITY LEADERS.

I LIKE THIS STATEMENT BY ADKINS....

“But if you have a minimum wage job, you won’t be able to buy a house because you can’t make a down payment or get a mortgage,”

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE LOW INCOME PEOPLE ON SECTION 8 ARE PAID ON THEIR JOBS? (IF THEY HAVE ONE AT ALL) MORE TOWARDS MINIMUM WAGE, RIGHT? IF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE BRINGING INTO TOWN HAVE LOW WAGE JOBS, THEY WILL NEVER BY ABLE TO PURCHASE THE VACANT HOUSING STOCK IN TOWN, BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION, RIGHT? THEN WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THESE PEOPLE BEING HERE (OTHER THAN BRINGING IN FED MONEY) IF THEY ARE ALWAYS GOING TO TAKE HANDOUTS AND NEVER CONTRIBUTE BY MAKING ENOUGH TO EVENTUALLY BUY A HOUSE? WHY TRASH THE TOWN UP WITH LOW INCOME...HAS NO UPSIDE. IF IT WERE A GOOD THING, OTHER CITIES WOULD BE DOING IT.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2012 at 12:02pm
"The city is also in the midst of an ongoing federal investigation of several landlords who were in the Section 8 program. Adkins said three to four landlords have been removed from the Section 8 program for fraud.
"

Any one heard of this before today ?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2012 at 1:12pm
I would agree Pac. Plus if Evans has this contract the owner who i know will bend to get this work.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2012 at 3:11pm
All I know is the Middletown of 2012 looks nothing like the town I grew up in. And that's a real shame.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2012 at 7:15pm
"But if you have a minimum wage job, you won’t be able to buy a house because you can’t make a down payment or get a mortgage,”

The above statement is a sign of the times and makes home ownership of alot of Middletown housing an even bigger reason to tear down the vacant and delapitated homes.  These homes are unlikely to be bought by low income individuals when they must get a mortgage to buy and then get a second mortgage to repair the homes.  We also DO NOT need more low income rental in this city.  This just strains the available city resources to the breaking point.
PacmanCool
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2012 at 7:35pm
Pacman,
I agree completely.  The demolition of blighted properties is not the question--at least not in my mind.

Here are the problems in my view:
  1. The hoarding (and hiding) of money in slush funds, only to have it miraculously be "found" when it is needed for the "right" uses, while we are always broke (or a tax increase is the only answer) when it comes to the "wrong" uses.
  2. The prioritization of the purposes of municipal government, vis-a-vis: streets, public safety, business retention, sewers and other infrastructure, public support of private enterprises, the establishment of monopolies in private business areas by City actions, decorative sidewalk lights, and demolition, etc.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2012 at 12:06am
But if you have a minimum wage job, you won’t be able to buy a house because you can’t make a down payment or get a mortgage,”

The above statement is a sign of the times and makes home ownership of alot of Middletown housing an even bigger reason to tear down the vacant and delapitated homes. These homes are unlikely to be bought by low income individuals when they must get a mortgage to buy and then get a second mortgage to repair the homes. We also DO NOT need more low income rental in this city. This just strains the available city resources to the breaking point.
Pacman

Pacman,
I couldn’t agree with you more. The only “real” use of much of the older housing stock in this town is for low income rentals. This town already has double the amount of rental properties than a healthy housing stock should (40%).

Viet Vet,
PROPERTY VALUES HAVE DROPPED 8 PERCENT AND THERE ARE 3000 VACANT HOMES.....AND THE CITY HAS ADDED TO THE CARNAGE BY WELCOMING ANY AND ALL SECTION 8 VOUCHER PEOPLE, MAXING OUT THE VOUCHER NUMBERS. NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF CITY LEADERS. This is a very misleading statement. Although city learship really screwed up by increasing the Section 8 recipients by approximately 1,000 vouchers, it has nothing to do with current leadership. This was done by prior leadership and it is “CLEAR” that the city does not want to expand the program. In fact, they want to reduce it but HUD won’t let them.

I LIKE THIS STATEMENT BY ADKINS....

“But if you have a minimum wage job, you won’t be able to buy a house because you can’t make a down payment or get a mortgage,”

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE LOW INCOME PEOPLE ON SECTION 8 ARE PAID ON THEIR JOBS? (IF THEY HAVE ONE AT ALL) MORE TOWARDS MINIMUM WAGE, RIGHT? IF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE BRINGING INTO TOWN HAVE LOW WAGE JOBS, THEY WILL NEVER BY ABLE TO PURCHASE THE VACANT HOUSING STOCK IN TOWN, BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION, RIGHT? Again, your statement is misleading. The city did not bring low wage earners into town with the Section 8 expansion. The vast, vast, vast, majority of recipients were “already” Middletown residents. The problem is that once you get it, you can't get rid of it.

THEN WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THESE PEOPLE BEING HERE (OTHER THAN BRINGING IN FED MONEY) IF THEY ARE ALWAYS GOING TO TAKE HANDOUTS AND NEVER CONTRIBUTE BY MAKING ENOUGH TO EVENTUALLY BUY A HOUSE? WHY TRASH THE TOWN UP WITH LOW INCOME...HAS NO UPSIDE. IF IT WERE A GOOD THING, OTHER CITIES WOULD BE DOING IT.
I agree with you…. You can thank Mr. Kohler back in the days when the city council didn’t even realize that they were in charge of the Middletown Public Housing Agency. Mr. Kohler thought that getting 10% of $1,000,000.00 a month in subsidies was a good thing. The city now realizes that the costs of the program outweigh the benefits. The problem is that its too late to get rid of it. Let's be fair and put the blame where it belongs
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2012 at 6:11am
greygoose:

Viet Vet,
PROPERTY VALUES HAVE DROPPED 8 PERCENT AND THERE ARE 3000 VACANT HOMES.....AND THE CITY HAS ADDED TO THE CARNAGE BY WELCOMING ANY AND ALL SECTION 8 VOUCHER PEOPLE, MAXING OUT THE VOUCHER NUMBERS. NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF CITY LEADERS. This is a very misleading statement. Although city learship really screwed up by increasing the Section 8 recipients by approximately 1,000 vouchers, it has nothing to do with current leadership. This was done by prior leadership and it is “CLEAR” that the city does not want to expand the program. In fact, they want to reduce it but HUD won’t let them

grey- show me in this statement where I referred to CURRENT leadership? I referenced "the city" and "city leaders". This could include past as well as present. It is written with no time frame. YOU are the one who interjected the word "current"

greygoose:

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE LOW INCOME PEOPLE ON SECTION 8 ARE PAID ON THEIR JOBS? (IF THEY HAVE ONE AT ALL) MORE TOWARDS MINIMUM WAGE, RIGHT? IF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE BRINGING INTO TOWN HAVE LOW WAGE JOBS, THEY WILL NEVER BY ABLE TO PURCHASE THE VACANT HOUSING STOCK IN TOWN, BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION, RIGHT? Again, your statement is misleading. The city did not bring low wage earners into town with the Section 8 expansion. The vast, vast, vast, majority of recipients were “already” Middletown residents. The problem is that once you get it, you can't get rid of it

grey- prove to me that the vast, vast, vast majority of recipients were already in Middletown. Show me some numbers. I haven't seen the breakout of program recipients and where they originated from, be it in town or out of town. All I have heard is that the program has attracted everyone in the Miami Valley here for a handout.

grey-

THEN WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THESE PEOPLE BEING HERE (OTHER THAN BRINGING IN FED MONEY) IF THEY ARE ALWAYS GOING TO TAKE HANDOUTS AND NEVER CONTRIBUTE BY MAKING ENOUGH TO EVENTUALLY BUY A HOUSE? WHY TRASH THE TOWN UP WITH LOW INCOME...HAS NO UPSIDE. IF IT WERE A GOOD THING, OTHER CITIES WOULD BE DOING IT.
I agree with you…. You can thank Mr. Kohler back in the days when the city council didn’t even realize that they were in charge of the Middletown Public Housing Agency. Mr. Kohler thought that getting 10% of $1,000,000.00 a month in subsidies was a good thing. The city now realizes that the costs of the program outweigh the benefits. The problem is that its too late to get rid of it. Let's be fair and put the blame where it belongs

Alright, let's blame Marty Kohler for his backdoor tactics with city council. He is part of the administration and reports to Gilleland. As city manager, she is reponsible for her people. If Kohler knew that the council had a need to know they were in charge of the Midd. Public Housing Agency, Gilleland should have known it too. It should have been communicated to council from the start. It all goes back to placing the blame (again) on the people running this dam city. Lebanon had the right idea.....fired his carcass. This city should do the same.

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 11:28am

Viet Vet,
PROPERTY VALUES HAVE DROPPED 8 PERCENT AND THERE ARE 3000 VACANT HOMES.....AND THE CITY HAS ADDED TO THE CARNAGE BY WELCOMING ANY AND ALL SECTION 8 VOUCHER PEOPLE, MAXING OUT THE VOUCHER NUMBERS. NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF CITY LEADERS. This is a very misleading statement. Although city learship really screwed up by increasing the Section 8 recipients by approximately 1,000 vouchers, it has nothing to do with current leadership. This was done by prior leadership and it is “CLEAR” that the city does not want to expand the program. In fact, they want to reduce it but HUD won’t let them

grey- show me in this statement where I referred to CURRENT leadership? I referenced "the city" and "city leaders". This could include past as well as present. It is written with no time frame. YOU are the one who interjected the word "current"
Viet Vet – That is why I said that your statement was “misleading”, not “inaccurate”. By not making the distinction, it would be reasonable for a reader to assume that you were including current city leadership in your statement and that is just not accurate.

greygoose:

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE LOW INCOME PEOPLE ON SECTION 8 ARE PAID ON THEIR JOBS? (IF THEY HAVE ONE AT ALL) MORE TOWARDS MINIMUM WAGE, RIGHT? IF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE BRINGING INTO TOWN HAVE LOW WAGE JOBS, THEY WILL NEVER BY ABLE TO PURCHASE THE VACANT HOUSING STOCK IN TOWN, BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION, RIGHT? Again, your statement is misleading. The city did not bring low wage earners into town with the Section 8 expansion. The vast, vast, vast, majority of recipients were “already” Middletown residents. The problem is that once you get it, you can't get rid of it

grey- prove to me that the vast, vast, vast majority of recipients were already in Middletown. Show me some numbers. I haven't seen the breakout of program recipients and where they originated from, be it in town or out of town. All I have heard is that the program has attracted everyone in the Miami Valley here for a handout. Following, is the proof that you requested. It is located in the last paragraph of the third page of a letter written by Shawn Sweet, who was the Acting Director of the Cleveland Hub Office of Public Housing. The letter is dated July 16, 2010 and is in response to a city prepared report that suggested making changes to the Housing Choice Voucher program.

grey-

Alright, let's blame Marty Kohler for his backdoor tactics with city council. He is part of the administration and reports to Gilleland. As city manager, she is reponsible for her people. If Kohler knew that the council had a need to know they were in charge of the Midd. Public Housing Agency, Gilleland should have known it too. It should have been communicated to council from the start. It all goes back to placing the blame (again) on the people running this dam city. Lebanon had the right idea.....fired his carcass. This city should do the same. I agree. If I could, I would fire his carcass tomorrow. In my opinion, his poor judgment has had a greater negative impact on this city than anyone that has ever been employed by the city. To be fair, his mis-steps with Section 8 occurred before Gilleland was around. If I were her, I would still get rid of his sorry carcass.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 11:53am
grey- prove to me that the vast, vast, vast majority of recipients were already in Middletown. Show me some numbers. I haven't seen the breakout of program recipients and where they originated from, be it in town or out of town. All I have heard is that the program has attracted everyone in the Miami Valley here for a handout. Following, is the proof that you requested. It is located in the last paragraph of the third page of a letter written by Shawn Sweet, who was the Acting Director of the Cleveland Hub Office of Public Housing. The letter is dated July 16, 2010 and is in response to a city prepared report that suggested making changes to the Housing Choice Voucher program.

THE REFERENCE PORTION OF THE ARTICLE YOU HAVE SUPPLIED DOESN'T GIVE NUMBERS. SINCE IT DOESN'T MENTION THE OVERALL NUMBERS WE CAN'T ESTABLISH IF IT IS A MAJORITY. JUST SAYS MIDDLETOWN CITIZENS BEFORE THEY WERE GIVEN VOUCHERS. FOR HOW LONG? DID THEY JUST ARRIVE IN TOWN? WHAT WAS THE CRITERIA FOR THE DETERMINATION THEY WERE CITIZENS?....CAME TO TOWN, RENTED A ROOM, ESTABLISHED A RESIDENCE JUST TO QUALIFY FOR A VOUCHER? WHERE DID THESE PEOPLE COME FROM, HOW LONG HAVE THEY BEEN IN TOWN AND WHEN DID THEY ESTABLISH THEMSELVES AS MIDDLETONIANS? TOO EASY FINDING OUT MIDDLETOWN IS GIVING OUT FREEBIE VOUCHERS BY JUST MOVING HERE AND RENTING OUT A ROOM, CALLING YOURSELF A RESIDENT OF THE CITY. IT ALSO STATES THAT MIDDLETOWN HAS A "LOCALITY PREFERENCE" INFERRING THAT THEY COULD ALSO CONSIDER OUTSIDERS. DOES NOT SAY A LOCALITY RULE OR INSISTANCE. CAN'T ELDERLY AND DISABLED COME FROM OUTSIDE THE CITY TOO? BOTTOM LINE....IT IS A DRAWING MAGNET FOR EVERY TOM, DICK OR HARRY TO COME TO TOWN LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT AND HELPING DRAG THE CITY DEEPER INTO GHETTOLAND. THE PROGRAM NEEDS TO GO FOR THE HEALTH OF THE CITY. JMO

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 1:03pm

The references to Middletown’s local residency preference are a bit deceiving.

If I am not mistaken, it was reported in an early Middletown Public Housing Authority meeting that many of the vouchers went to people who, upon learning of our large number of vouchers, came here and established residency for the sole purpose of getting on our shorter waiting list (as compared to the waiting list in the community from whence they came).

Then, yes, those vouchers did go to “Middletown residents”.  However, they did not go to long-time residents.  They went to people who came here for the sole purpose of becoming “residents” to qualify for a voucher.
The period of time required to establish residency, as I recall, was fairly brief.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 1:49pm
Mike
Someplace during my research on this subject it stated that many of the Section 8 vouchers were given to people who had lived in Public Housing.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 2:46pm
VV, MikeP,

Wow…… I just provided you the stongest evidence out there other than a census and you still want to maintain your postion? Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably. Does that equate to Middletown becoming a magnate for the poor…absolutely not. Vivian has it right….. there were a large chunk of folks that transferred from public housing to the voucher program. It is OK to change your position on a subject when new information is presented to you. I agree that Section 8 has not been good for our city, but it did not result in a migration of the poor that you suggest…..it just helped to institutionalize the poor folks that already lived here.

GG
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by greygoose greygoose wrote:

VV, MikeP,

Wow…… I just provided you the stongest evidence out there other than a census and you still want to maintain your postion? Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably. Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably. Vivian has it right….. there were a large chunk of folks that transferred from public housing to the voucher program. It is OK to change your position on a subject when new information is presented to you. I agree that Section 8 has not been good for our city, but it did not result in a migration of the poor that you suggest…..it just helped to institutionalize the poor folks that already lived here.

GG

The info. you provided can be left to interpretation. Strong evidence? Not so certain as I am reading some ambiguity in the article. You have issues also with this statement..... "Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably". Also disagree with your statement "Does that equate to Middletown becoming a magnate for the poor…absolutely not"- really? why not? I find it quite logical that if you set the town up for attracting the poor, you get a response from the poor. Stereotypically, they will flock to gov. programs. And what would a concentration of this segment of society do to the town receiving them? The typical things....crime, clutter, downgrading the image of the city, undesirable outside influences connected with this influence. Don't see Springboro or Mason doing the Section 8 ride, do you? Hell no, they care about who they attract to their town and want to keep their cities from going ghettoland. Middletown leaders don't care. Some don't live here anyway.

GG, If you invite poor people into the community by supplying them with a Section 8 voucher program, you are acting like a magnet for poverty. Analogy time......if you put raw meat out in you back yard, expect the wolves to show up soon. If this was such a great idea, why have so many towns around here not adopted the program? Why no cities taking their fair share of vouchers? Why did Middletown take 1662 when the correct amount, based on town size/population was around 700 or so? I can see no benefit to this city whatsoever by inviting an overabundance of poor here as well as catering to the poor that were here all along. It is not a healthy thing for this city to have such a high concentration in one town. JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 5:00pm
Ever hear of the saying that horse has been beat to death? Well...that topic is Section 8, the dead horse. Why is this still a topic of discussion of endless proportion?

To be clear, it only requires an individual 30 days to be an Ohio resident. Hence, anyone could move from any state, establish residency a month later, move to Middletown, and legally, be eligible for Section 8 vouchers.

Middletown has no waiting period for establishing residency, and could not or it would be in violation/ conflict with the state constitution. It is not difficult gg to establish Middletown as a pt of domiciled residency. Try 30 days.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 5:14pm
VV, MikeP,

Wow…… I just provided you the stongest evidence out there other than a census and you still want to maintain your postion? Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably. Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably. Vivian has it right….. there were a large chunk of folks that transferred from public housing to the voucher program. It is OK to change your position on a subject when new information is presented to you. I agree that Section 8 has not been good for our city, but it did not result in a migration of the poor that you suggest…..it just helped to institutionalize the poor folks that already lived here.

GG

The info. you provided can be left to interpretation. Strong evidence? Not so certain as I am reading some ambiguity in the article. Its not an article. It’s a letter from a Regional HUD Director. If anyone would know the answer, wouldn’t it be the agency that is funding it? You have issues also with this statement..... "Were there some folks that moved to Middletown to get on a shorter list…..probably". Also disagree with your statement "Does that equate to Middletown becoming a magnate for the poor…absolutely not"- really? why not? I find it quite logical that if you set the town up for attracting the poor, you get a response from the poor. It might be logical but HUD states that it didn’t occur. Stereotypically, they will flock to gov. programs. And what would a concentration of this segment of society do to the town receiving them? The typical things....crime, clutter, downgrading the image of the city, undesirable outside influences connected with this influence. Don't see Springboro or Mason doing the Section 8 ride, do you? I AGREE WITH YOU…. It was a STUPID thing to do. The only things that I am disputing is that A) Current leadership had nothing to do with it. They oppose it and B) the vouchers did not cause a migration of poor folks to come to Middletown, they werealready here. Hell no, they care about who they attract to their town and want to keep their cities from going ghettoland. Middletown leaders don't care. Some don't live here anyway.

GG, If you invite poor people into the community by supplying them with a Section 8 voucher program, you are acting like a magnet for poverty. Analogy time......if you put raw meat out in you back yard, expect the wolves to show up soon. If this was such a great idea, why have so many towns around here not adopted the program? Why no cities taking their fair share of vouchers? Why did Middletown take 1662 when the correct amount, based on town size/population was around 700 or so? Because Mr. Kohler is a friggin idiot and the city council (at the time this was ocuring) didn’t even realize that they were in charge of the housing agency. I can see no benefit to this city whatsoever by inviting an overabundance of poor here as well as catering to the poor that were here all along. It is not a healthy thing for this city to have such a high concentration in one town. JMO Again, I AGREE WITH YOU…. I just wanted to make sure that the facts of the situation were out there. There is no doubt in my mind that, at the time that this occurred, the city just wanted 10% of the cut. The current leadership does not support the increase in vouchers and should not be blamed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic