FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Citizens 4 the Senior Center

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citizens 4 the Senior Center
    Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 6:23pm

Citizens 4 the Senior Center

September 13, 2012

Dear   Friend of Middletown Senior Center :

We hope you will join us in our support of the upcoming Middletown Senior Citizens levy on Nov. 6, 2012.

Issue 4 in Middletown (Butler County) and Issue 27 in Middletown (Warren County) will allow our Center to continue to provide daily lunch meals at the center, exercise classes, and transportation services, as well as many other activities, and services that are vital to many of our Middletown area men and women. Last year alone, over 17,488 meals were served to seniors at the Center and 1200 members participated in over 28,214 activities. We provided services to 3225 seniors in the community and made 8897 trips transporting seniors. Without this levy the Center may no longer be open for lunch meals or activities. I

With the aging population expanding at an alarming rate we must be prepared with adequate facilities and personnel to continue to offer quality services. Our mission is “to serve maturing men and women by addressing those needs and interests which contribute to their continued enjoyment and independence.” We want to continue to help seniors stay healthy longer at home and avoid more expensive long term care. Socialization, staying active, having friends and fun and a purpose for each day are part of remaining healthy and contribute to the enjoyment and independence of the seniors in our community.

A considerable amount of donations will be needed to finance this campaign. Hopefully you can help in this effort by making a monetary contribution made payable to “Citizens for the Senior Center” and also, of course, vote “yes” for issue 4. Please drop off your check at the Middletown Senior Center or mail it to Citizens for the Senior Center at 3907 Central Avenue, Middletown, Ohio, 45044.        

Thank you in advance help and support!

Michael Scorti            Michael Bailey              Richard Isroff

Co-Chairs, Citizens for the Senior Center

Ann Munafo

Ann Munafo

Executive Director, Middletown Area Senior Citizens, Inc.

Posted by Paul Nagy

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 6:57pm
Hello Everyone,

Like many of you I received the above letter from the Middletown Senior Center a few days ago. I have spent a lot of time thinking about it. Whereas, I would be against some levies from the city in this type of economy and under present circumstances, I cannot in good conscience oppose the levy for the Senior Center.

Look at the second paragraph and read all of the good, important and  practical work they have done and are doing for seniors. Its a lot of work and they do it with great cost effectiveness. They are addressing vital needs of Seniors. How can we not support such efforts?

Look at paragraph number three and see some of the very serious reasons for continued support  of the Center.

If you really want to help a good cause please consider what I'm about to suggest.

1.   Please make a contribution as requested. Get any businesses you can to make a contribution.
             2.  Please enroll as a member and use the services. Membership is $40.00 a year. The best
                   bargain you can get today anywhere.
             3.  Eat and enjoy your meals there. Lunch for members is $3 and most dinners run $5 - $5.95. 
                   Where else can you get that ?
             4.  Look around the house and find something you can sell for $10.00 and give that to the Center.
                   Get everyone you know to do the same. You'll never miss it.
             5. Every time you get any extra change why not contribute it to the Center for them to cut down that
                    brutal mortgage which threatens the very existence of the Center.
              6. Call and write your city council and ask them to find a real way in which they can make a
                    specific contribution that will encourage Mike Scorti, Michael Bailey and Richard Isroff, the
                     Co-Chairs of the Board, who have taken on this hard and hugh assigment.

Remember, you don't have to be a Senior to help on this. I'm always thankful for the young folks I
see  at the nursing homes volunteering their time, energy and money for the elderly and their loved  ones.

Personally, I want to ask you to consider this deeply and support the Seniors. I'm asking you the best way I know how but if you want me to plead and beg I will even do that. Times are hard and this important cause is on dangerous ground. Support Ann Munafo and the Center now !

Thank you for your consideration and support.

Paul Nagy

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 8:30pm
Used the transportation service on Friday as a matter of fact. Transported my wife to her eye appt. at Sears. We have a vested interest in the Senior Center and the service they offer for us. Have donated when we had the money. Will vote for the levy for selfish reasons. We need them to help us.

On the other hand, I have never been enamored to hear about them biting off more than they could chew mortgage-wise on the land and the building. Shouldn't have tried to build the Taj Mahal there on Central. Toned it down a little as to size and extravagance. Shouldn't be asking the people to make up for the mistake they made in their purchase and mortgage situation. IMO. The ones who made the decision should be the ones responsible for paying the note.

Nevertheless, we will support it.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 9:28pm

Mr. Nagy,

Even though I am a Senior Citizen by their standards and disabled, I have 3 problems with their plea for assistance from all of the citizens of Middltown.

1. they have only 1200 members
2. they only charge $40.00 per year ($3.33 pr/month) for membership
3. they way over built their Senior Center and we are now expected to pay for it.

The Senior Center needs to have a push for a doubling of membership and raise their dues from $40.00 per yr to $120.00 per year as a bare minimum.  We can not continually raise the taxes on the citizens of Middletown as is the current wave, next will be they School Levy, then will be another public safety levy.  It goes on and on and never ends. 

And yet all we ever hear about is how wonderful Downtown is.

PacmanCool
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 10:22pm
I have spoken to employees of the center who have stated that many of the current members already complain about the $40/year fee. That's right. They think it's already too much! Can you believe this? So good luck getting that raised to $120. Another instance of a generation that is used to taking all they can get. Good luck to our children and grandchildren because the Baby Boomers and the over 65 crowd want to live it up while not paying the piper.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Stanky Stanky wrote:

I have spoken to employees of the center who have stated that many of the current members already complain about the $40/year fee. That's right. They think it's already too much! Can you believe this? So good luck getting that raised to $120. Another instance of a generation that is used to taking all they can get. Good luck to our children and grandchildren because the Baby Boomers and the over 65 crowd want to live it up while not paying the piper.

Have to disagree with you on the part about that generation taking all they can get. This is the generation that would be too ashamed to ask any one for help unlike the younger generations that thinks they are owed something by the government.

On that note even thouigh they need to fire who ever brought the huge debt on the center I will be voting for this levy these older folks are deserving in my opinion. 
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 6:02am
VOTE NO!
Senior levy is a hoax.
The same people putting forth this taxpayer solution to the senior center problems are the same ones that stood by while the Center went into debt over its head.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 6:25am
Originally posted by Stanky Stanky wrote:

\
Now wait a minute Stanky! Some of us Baby Boomers have been working a long time. I'll have "paid the piper" for 51 years in 6 years. Been paying all that time (as everyone who works does) into some type of fund to help others. (United Way- paying SS to take care of the retired folks) We're not all greedy. "Taking all they can get".... I can't take all I can get because I really need the help for in-home care from Medicare and can't receive a dime nor the help. Make too much and too many assets to qualify....so they say. Hell, I'm up in the Warren Buffet/Billy Gates category according to Medicare. Not all of us receive handouts. I'm not exactly "living it up" nowadays either. I've paid my fair share over time. Shouldn't those who do get something in return? Would you like to benefit from all you have contributed over the years? Who wouldn't, right?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 6:31am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

VOTE NO!
Senior levy is a hoax.
The same people putting forth this taxpayer solution to the senior center problems are the same ones that stood by while the Center went into debt over its head.

29, my wife and I really do benefit from the handicapped transportation they provide, but I agree with you on the inflated building costs and the blame pointed in the direction of those who oversaw the financing of the project. Just wonder how much of the levy money will go into services and how much will be applied to the mortgage. They need to tell the voters their intentions for the money usage.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 8:47am
If the levy fails it won't be for selfish reasons. A lot of the younger generation is living pay check to pay check including my self. We do want to be able to help people out. But all these tax levies, rising food/gas/utility prices keep adding up.

The main problem is every single government agency always turns to some type of taxes to fund everything. They could just as easily get funding from the private sector through sponsorship, and other means. In fact in Cleveland they funded a road project, by hosting a fund raising race for a bridge project.

I would have to see how much the levy will raise my mortgage escrow payment to determine if I can afford to pay for the levy or not.

The one levy I would vote for is the street improvement levy, I think with in 5 years my street will be nothing but gravel. In fact when I sweep the grass clippings from the curb, I get more pavement pebbles then clippings.I think the road improvement levy would pay for itself, in car maintenance due to busted tires, and alignments.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 10:31am
ktf, I'm not sure fundraising can realistically raise the kind of funds needed.  No amount of bake sales and 5K races can fund what is needed here.  My problem with this levy is that it is needed to pay for a monstrous building/land purchase that they could never afford.  The former director who pushed for this building is no longer there.  The fault lies with the board for not asking more questions on this whole deal.

I agree with you on a street levy.  I would sign up for that but I believe something like that was tried several years back and failed miserably.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

ktf, I'm not sure fundraising can realistically raise the kind of funds needed.  No amount of bake sales and 5K races can fund what is needed here.  My problem with this levy is that it is needed to pay for a monstrous building/land purchase that they could never afford.  The former director who pushed for this building is no longer there.  The fault lies with the board for not asking more questions on this whole deal.

I agree with you on a street levy.  I would sign up for that but I believe something like that was tried several years back and failed miserably.

Neil/ktf, the street improvement fund was removed from the city budget in the mid 80's. It was voted on by the people and they approved the removal of the money from the street repair based on the city telling the people the funds were needed elsewhere. The funds were never returned back to the street fund. Also, the gas tax is, by law, suppose to pay for street repair. To date, there is no evidence the city has used this money for that purpose. Currently, there is an indication that there is no money in the city budget for road repair. The only repair we all see comes from the feds (I think). Someone please correct this if this is not accurate.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 4:44pm
Off-center as to header topic, however--/
Street repair:

As a Central Ave business/property owner, looking out at a highly-travelled and
rapidly deteriorating thorofare, I now wonder just how this venue will
ever be re-surfaced(and whether I would want to be in the middle of it after
A first-hand view of the Sutphin St. disaster).

No chance of ever getting 60% of the property owners to approve the expense.
Many own multiple parcels. And would face huge assessments. I would hate to
see what my charge would be.

So---the road must eventually be re-done.
How do you envision this playing out?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 10:13pm
If I am reading the above post by Mr Nagy correctly, the Senior Center has membership of approximately 1200 members that use the available services. The Senior Center website does not give an actual membership total.  I have found in my research that there are over 8000 citizens living in Middletown who are 50+ yrs. If the membership is at 1200 that would mean less than a 1/4 of the 8000 the available Seniors in Middletown are using these services. 
I can not find the cost of lunch and dinner meals on the centers website.  Can someone provide this information for me? 
I find it curious that Lunch & Dinner is served to anyone who walks in the door as long as they pay for it.  In other words, membership is not a requirement for meals at the center.  Are meals more expensive for non-members than members? If they are the same, why? Are there other services the are available to non-members?
I find it hard to believe that the transit program is only utilized by 500 seniors in a town that has over 12000 senior citizens in it and that only approximately 250 senior citizen use the in home care service.

Stanky, I really do not care if the complain about the $40.00 per yr.  I complain about the $1000's in taxes I pay each yr and see little to no benefit from.  If the seniors want a place that caters to their needs, then they need to pay for it and that means paying mor than $40 per yr in dues. 

It is funny how just about every time an educational levy comes around, we hear from the seniors "why should I have to pay, I have no kids in school?"  seems like the shoe is on the other foot then.

Middletown has become a "FIX ME" city with the majority of the city having a poor population being squeezed by them.  Middletown also has a very limited upper income popluation which also says "Give me, Give me".  Then the Middle income is squeezed and receives little in return for the $$ taken from them.

The town should change it's name from Middletown to Middlesqueeze.  As the Middle Income are constantly taken advantage of by it's city leadership, lower income popluation, senior citizens, etc.

PacmanCool
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 3:01am
Pac,
     The questions you raise are valid. I called and got the figures I published but I may not have quoted them right. I believe I was told there is a different price for non-members. I respect your opinion on this and your opposition. Initially, I was opposed to any more levies. It is outrageous in our present city economy. What changed my mind is not the politics but the needs of the people. Some cannot afford some of these vital services otherwise.
       When the  seniors wanted the old Swallens building for their center, and where they were going to put apartments on the upper floor, council and others said no because they wanted to find some funding to put Fenwick in Hunter on Rt. 122. So they sold them the property on Central and they overbuilt. All of this was under the direction and supervision of another council and others involved. It was all a sham. Now, however, the Center is left with this brutal mortgage which they can't afford and will have to cut services to pay it. Thus, the seniors are penalized. Council should come up with a good chunk of change ($50,000 would be nice) with the levy to show good faith and encourage the Center. Ann Munafo is doing an outstanding job as Executive Director and she has a huge burden here. My concern is for the innocent seniors and Ms. Munafo. They are what changed my mind. However, I do this with a lot of trepidation and I think those who disagree are just as right doing it. I just don't want the innocent punished here because of the corrupt manipulations of the guilty and I hope we can move on and make this a good thing for the city that is overflowing with us old folks. Thanks for your input.
         pn

Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 7:19am
Notice what is not being said: that the Senior Center needs this levy to stay in operation. I say let them default on their mortgage and then they'll find another home with a kitchen somewhere else. Virtually all of their funding is from government money anyway, so they can continue service from another location. Hey, how about opening up the Manchester Inn kitchen for their meals on wheels? And with plenty of hotel rooms, maybe the "vision" of senior apartment living can be realized after all.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 8:49am
It will more than likely pass. After calculating it for my house it will only cost me an extra 3-4 dollars a month. If it passes I am sure I will be able to cut 3-4 dollars from my budget. :)

"If approved, the levy would cost the owner of a $100,000 home $30.63 a year."
$30.63 / 12 = $2.55 per month.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 9:13am
ktf1179, whether it's $2 or $20 a month, the point is that the organization bought a McMansion they couldn't afford.  Why should we all bail them out?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 9:26am
Neil,
      I think you are right about not bailing out the organization but what about those that are crucially in need of their services? That's the big problem for me. Thanks for the post.
       pn
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 10:22am
Everyone spent beyond their means back in the 2000's. That was just the mindset of that time period.

I do agree that in theory they don't deserve to be bailed out because of the excesses. However I feel that point changes when you have people needing and depending on these services to get by.

The truth is, these services are needed because of the aging baby boomer generation. I would rather keep a senior center open and running over any wasteful school levy, that usually ends up paying for Administration and teacher salaries, and luxurious buildings and hi-tech equipment that is not needed to educate children.

Besides we will all be seniors citizens one day, and we might need those very services that you want to shut down.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 10:24am
It appears to be an oxymoron those that oppose most levies and tax increases in the city if the walking dead now are advocates of passing this senior tax proposal on need. A disappointing contradiction based application of rationale thought in certain instances and irrational in others.

Need? That' illogical. If there were a need, then logically, 75% of seniors would be members, not waiting on others to bail them out for getting Fenwick moved to their new location. Stugmeyer at seniors citizen was brother to Fenwick Stugmeyer, the business manager, all orchestrated by many existing council members.

Need? 11 acres sitting idle was needed for what? A new massive building was needed for what? 75% of seniors don't see the need or they would be members. The need was to get Fenwick moved and that was accomplished. Now the bailout to take care of the debt absorbed by taxpayers.

Need? Well then, lets's have taxes for income as there is a NEED for roads neglected. Let's pass the school levy as there is a NEED for replacement of an aged building and remaining competitive with look and feel of other districts. Let's raise taxes to 13% as there is a need to avoid laying off one city worker. Completely illogical and contradictory argument.

The only need here is to pay for a bailout for the few that took care of the Fenwick move by buying property and building a site not needed for 75% of senior citizens. But no worries. The seniors got the tax levy passed, so the voting blocks reciprocate. This levy will pass, just like the school building levy will pass. The outcome? No houses are being bought in Middletown, the city of quid pro quo assisted on occasion, by those who contradict positions without applying the same argument consistently nor mounting serious opposition
in spite of rhetoric.

Checkmate again, 75% majority, based on quid pro quo.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 10:41am
Nagy, ktf1179:

You're not getting my point -- the failure of this levy will NOT result in a shut down of senior services.  The organization WILL go on, it just may be in a more affordable location.  Let them default on the debt and restructure in a new, smaller location that has a kitchen.  There's a certain building on Verity Pkwy that would be a great fit -- formerly know as the Seniro Center.  But the city owns that now....or Cincy St does.  There are surely other options.

Emotional voting, without an understanding of what will truly happen upon failure, is what the pro-levy folsk are hoping for. 

And this whole issue just shows that all the past rantings from Nagy, Vet, others can be thrown out the window.  You folks have no credibility anymore.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 10:55am
acclaro:

Your argument concerning "need" has validity as to the mortgage, over-bought theme.

"The only need here is to pay for a bailout for the few that took care of the Fenwick move by buying property and building a site not needed for 75% of senior citizens"

Would like to throw you some residuals on the "need" thing.....

Certainly the financing, over-financed, over-extravagant thinking is true and certainly overshadows the need for people like us who actually call the Seniors Center and schedule my wife to be picked up for her drs. appts. Yes, we use the service and NEED the service. We are legitimate in our needs.

It is much easier to place her in her wheelchair, on the hydraulic lift of the Seniors bus and strap her in than to.........

Place her in her wheelchair. Wheel her out to the small car, low enough to the ground, lift her out of the chair, pivot her against the seat and gently place her backwards onto the car seat, turning her legs into the leg area and strapping her in. Then folding the wheelchair, putting it in the trunk, driving to the destination and doing it in reverse order, each time for each appt. I think you can see where we're coming from on this. Which would you choose?

I will not vote for this levy on the sole basis of helping them finance an overdone project. I agree, the taxpayer shouldn't help them clean up their financial mess. I will vote for this levy because, for us, the need is there on a day to day basis. Not so sure I can say the same things about the safety levy and school levies although, as to safety levy issues, the medic runs have helped us in the past.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 11:18am
Neil,
       You have put this in proper perspective for me. "There are surely other options." I appreciate it. One thing I have never been able to stand is for someone to call me stupid and them be right about it. I think you are right about this. I was thinking emotionally.
        One objection. I don't think that all the past rantings from Nagy can be thrown out. We needed them In the past because you and others didn't do much ranting. I'm glad you are now. You have good and important insight and I for one won't throw out this ranting on your part because it is a valuable ranting in the discussion of an issue. Why do people insist on getting personal in a discussion instead of sticking to the subject?
         Thanks for your post.
             pn
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 11:53am
"Emotional voting, without an understanding of what will truly happen upon failure, is what the pro-levy folsk are hoping for.

And this whole issue just shows that all the past rantings from Nagy, Vet, others can be thrown out the window. You folks have no credibility anymore"

Atta boy Neil!

Ouch! Folks, please continue to listen to Neil. He has all the answers and knows what is best for Middletown and you. We "ranters" will bow out and let Neil run this show from now on.

Neil?....please continue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic