Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, April 25, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Demos A Comin'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Demos A Comin'
    Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 7:31pm
Today's Journal...

City targets five eyesores for demolition

Middletown officials are considering tearing down pieces of downtown’s history in order to build toward the city’s future.
Years ago, the former Sonshine, Studio Theater, Middletown Cabinet and Montgomery Ward buildings were some of the most highly-used and recognizable buildings in Middletown. Today, they are among the worst eyesores.
That’s why city officials are talking about spending between $1 million and $1.5 million to demolish those city-owned structures in the second phase of a two-part demolitions plan. The first phase of the city’s plan involves razing the Orman building at 500 Tytus Ave., which carries a price tag of $597,000.

JUDITH SAYS.....

“With severely blighted structures eliminated from the landscape, and fresh green space, parking lots or new buildings in their place — along with students from Cincinnati State and the draw from art establishments and restaurants — I believe our downtown will have a very lively and vital feel in five years,” said City Manager Judy Gilleland.

HOW MANY "NEW BUILDINGS" HAVE BEEN BUILT IN THE SAME LOCATION AS THE ONES DEMOLISHED JUDITH? PLEASE NAME A FEW. HOW MUCH "GREEN SPACE" DOES A TOWN NEED AND HOW MANY PARKING LOTS DO WE NEED FOR THE FEW BUSINESSES DOWNTOWN AND HOW MUCH PARKING IS NEEDED FOR WHAT, 200 STUDENTS AT MOST? THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT, AT THIS TIME, THERE IS A NEED FOR AN ABUNDANCE OF PARKING. AND JUST HOW MUCH OF A "DRAW" HAS THE ARTS AND RESTAURANTS CREATED TO DATE? IF THE ARTS AND RESTAURANTS GREW THREEFOLD, THEY WOULD ATTRACT A MINIMAL AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TO THE DOWNTOWN BECAUSE THE ARTS ATTRACT LESS THAN 5% OF THE POPULATION AND THE TYPE OF RESTAURANTS THEY SEEK DOWNTOWN AND THE PRICES THEY CHARGE WILL MIMIMIZE ATTRACTION ALSO. I DON'T ENVISION THE "LIVELY AND VITAL (WHATEVER THAT MEANS) FEEL IN FIVE YEARS. I DON'T SEE ANYTHING YOU HAVE DONE DOWNTOWN LASTING, INCLUDING CS, BASED ON THE GROWTH TO DATE. NO TRAFFIC JAMS DOWN ON CENTRAL AND BROAD YET JUDITH. NONE 5 YEARS FROM NOW EITHER IMO......NOT WITH YOUR COLLEGE/ARTZY/FINGER FOOD RESTAURANT THEME YOU ARE BANKING ON. WRONG THEME FOR THIS TOWN. LIKE FORCING THE PEOPLE TO WATCH BALLET OR OPERA WHEN THEY WOULD RATHER WATCH WWE WRESTLING OR A DEMOLITION DERBY. YA JUST DON'T GET THAT THIS IS NOT A HIGHLY CULTURED TOWN. IT IS A WORKING CLASS TOWN. ALWAYS HAS BEEN.....ALWAYS WILL BE. STOP TRYING TO FORCE-FIT A CULTURED IMAGE INTO A NON-CULTURED CLASS OF PEOPLE.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:10am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Today's Journal...

City targets five eyesores for demolition

Middletown officials are considering tearing down pieces of downtown’s history in order to build toward the city’s future.
Years ago, the former Sonshine, Studio Theater, Middletown Cabinet and Montgomery Ward buildings were some of the most highly-used and recognizable buildings in Middletown. Today, they are among the worst eyesores.
That’s why city officials are talking about spending between $1 million and $1.5 million to demolish those city-owned structures in the second phase of a two-part demolitions plan. The first phase of the city’s plan involves razing the Orman building at 500 Tytus Ave., which carries a price tag of $597,000.

JUDITH SAYS.....

“With severely blighted structures eliminated from the landscape, and fresh green space, parking lots or new buildings in their place — along with students from Cincinnati State and the draw from art establishments and restaurants — I believe our downtown will have a very lively and vital feel in five years,” said City Manager Judy Gilleland.

HOW MANY "NEW BUILDINGS" HAVE BEEN BUILT IN THE SAME LOCATION AS THE ONES DEMOLISHED JUDITH? PLEASE NAME A FEW. HOW MUCH "GREEN SPACE" DOES A TOWN NEED AND HOW MANY PARKING LOTS DO WE NEED FOR THE FEW BUSINESSES DOWNTOWN AND HOW MUCH PARKING IS NEEDED FOR WHAT, 200 STUDENTS AT MOST? THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT, AT THIS TIME, THERE IS A NEED FOR AN ABUNDANCE OF PARKING. AND JUST HOW MUCH OF A "DRAW" HAS THE ARTS AND RESTAURANTS CREATED TO DATE? IF THE ARTS AND RESTAURANTS GREW THREEFOLD, THEY WOULD ATTRACT A MINIMAL AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TO THE DOWNTOWN BECAUSE THE ARTS ATTRACT LESS THAN 5% OF THE POPULATION AND THE TYPE OF RESTAURANTS THEY SEEK DOWNTOWN AND THE PRICES THEY CHARGE WILL MIMIMIZE ATTRACTION ALSO. I DON'T ENVISION THE "LIVELY AND VITAL (WHATEVER THAT MEANS) FEEL IN FIVE YEARS. I DON'T SEE ANYTHING YOU HAVE DONE DOWNTOWN LASTING, INCLUDING CS, BASED ON THE GROWTH TO DATE. NO TRAFFIC JAMS DOWN ON CENTRAL AND BROAD YET JUDITH. NONE 5 YEARS FROM NOW EITHER IMO......NOT WITH YOUR COLLEGE/ARTZY/FINGER FOOD RESTAURANT THEME YOU ARE BANKING ON. WRONG THEME FOR THIS TOWN. LIKE FORCING THE PEOPLE TO WATCH BALLET OR OPERA WHEN THEY WOULD RATHER WATCH WWE WRESTLING OR A DEMOLITION DERBY. YA JUST DON'T GET THAT THIS IS NOT A HIGHLY CULTURED TOWN. IT IS A WORKING CLASS TOWN. ALWAYS HAS BEEN.....ALWAYS WILL BE. STOP TRYING TO FORCE-FIT A CULTURED IMAGE INTO A NON-CULTURED CLASS OF PEOPLE.

Us Hillbillies have lots of culture it just dont involve much of what these people are trying to create.These people have gone crazy trying to build up a downtown while the rest of the I-75 corridor is trying to expand where the traffic is. And now these idjits just borrowed 1 million (wonder which of their buddies will see the $$$ from this "loan" ) for us to pay back when they cant even take care of the roads and safety services ? Has every one gone bloody mad ?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:43am
HOW MANY PARKING LOTS DO WE NEED
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:08am
My first problem with all this starts with the phrase "City owned structures". 

My second and third problems start there too.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:30am
Years ago, the former Sonshine, Studio Theater, Middletown Cabinet and Montgomery Ward buildings

Cincinnati State has become the excuse for City Hall spending every dollar they can beg, borrow and steal from other funds to revive “Their Downtown”.
City Hall purchased the Sonshine building and Studio Theater.
I believe City Hall purchased the Middletown Cabinet for $90,000 and I do not believe this is an unsafe building so why do they want to demo this building? Why wasn’t this building put up for sale? So what friend of City Hall wants this property?
What about the old Rose Furniture building that was on the demo list because it was unsafe?

HOW MANY DOLLARS IN PROPERTY TAXES HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE CITY COFFERS?
HOW MANY JOBS HAVE ALL THESE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ADDED TO DOWNTOWN?
HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY FOR “THEIR DOWNTOWN”?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic