FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOO MUCH SECTION 8?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

Is there a place online that you can watch council meeting? I got rid Of TW and cant get council meeting on Dish.
You can watch council meetings (not live, but usually beginning on the day after the meeting) on BLIP TV.  Here is the link:  http://blip.tv/tv-Middletown
Scroll down to find the find the program or meeting that you want to see.

I hope that this helps.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 5:02pm
The 4 amigos not only are "SPINELESS" they are heartless too.I hope the family hires a attorney and sues the hell out of this city.
Mr.Picard you saying that the gas station is a Blight site.You sir need to have your eyes check.
Mr.A sir you are the lowest of the lowest.
Did Mrs.Scott Jones leave cos she was pissed or she leave for other reasons?
I can not write what Iam really thinking of the "SPINELESS Ones" cos I would be banned but how they sleep at night has me puzzled.Angry
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 5:07pm
If MS. Scott-Jones left out of digust for the behaviour of the the 5 others then I salute her!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 7:59pm
Ok, just watched the opening segment of the council meeting with the Byrd's making their presentation. Ms. Byrd mentioned that they bought the house for $5000.00, then said the house was scheduled to be demolished. Don't understand. If the house was scheduled to be demolished, why was it up for sale? Seems like the Byrd's want to fix the place up. He claims to be a master craftsman in HVAC and other disciplines. I also don't understand why the city seems to be placing obstacles in front of them and seem unresponsive to people wanting to take a "fixer upper" and make it a viable home again. Have to hear the city's side of the story to judge fairly. Unfortunately, I didn't hear Adkins, the city manager, nor any official (I assume he was there to hear the Byrd's story) make any comments in relation to the Byrd's claims. Also, incredibly, didn't hear one council person inquire about this and ask for explanations as to the actions of the city. What is wrong with the people who sit behind council's desk? I could have asked at least ten questions after the presentation, mostly related to Adkins stance and the city's reluctance to help these people. The picture I watched showed all council members sitting silently like toads on a log, with no emotion nor caring in their demeanor. If this had been a VIP or an ally of the city, you can bet they would have received the utmost attention. Get 'em all out of town.....now. They are incapable of serving the people.    Disgusting, smug, pompous, egotistical behavior from people who are suppose to be mature adults.

The Byrd's mentioned they have retained a lawyer. My wish is that they take the case as far as possible and are successful against the city. City leadership needs for life to be just a little more difficult because of their indifference. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 9:11pm
I'm with you VET, Dougie does not like to be told no. His arrogance is unbelievable. You need to watch the rest of the meeting so you can see the total disdain they express for these people. Dougie said they might set a presidence if they allow them additional time. Judy set a presidence when she allowed Doug to answer a citizen comment, so what's the big deal. It's all about his arrogance and wanting to "show" these people he's in charge. The law suit has been started, lets see how cocky he is in a few days.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 9:35am
What I don't understand is why did the city not have a title search on this property.  Wouldn't that show the property was up for sherrif sale.  We all know the banks usually buy the property back to resale.  A little diligence on their part and this would not have happened.  Here is a couple that fell on hard times, and are working to get their life back on track, and they want to take advantage of them.  This is wrong, no matter how the city puts it - I hope the city is taken to the cleaners on this one.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 6:58pm
According to Mr. Adkins, it sounds like the City's criteria for demolition is whether or not it would cost more to restore a property than it is now worth.

I wonder why the Sorg Opera House, the Sorg Mansion, The Manchester Inn, the Historical Society Building, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum, have not seen the wrecking ball yet?

There is even one building on South Main Street whose owners want to demolish it, but the "Historic Commission" won't allow them to do so and instead is trying to force them to restore it!

Go figure.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

According to Mr. Adkins, it sounds like the City's criteria for demolition is whether or not it would cost more to restore a property than it is now worth.

I wonder why the Sorg Opera House, the Sorg Mansion, The Manchester Inn, the Historical Society Building, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum, have not seen the wrecking ball yet?

There is even one building on South Main Street whose owners want to demolish it, but the "Historic Commission" won't allow them to do so and instead is trying to force them to restore it!

Go figure.

If the Historic Commission (AKA MainStreet Snobs) will get there way.They got there Purty Lights compliment of the "tax payers."
Im still in disbelief on how cold hearted  those that voted to move forward are.As someone mention above,Mr.A sure dont like to be told NO.
Another thing that has me puzzled is when the discussion was going on Mrs.Queen Bee and Humpty Dumpty Les Sit there silently Seems When Mrs.Scott Jones asked if she could ask a question to the Byrds Les just sat there.Kind of odd,he is the City Attorney.Confused
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 3:40am
This is the guy everyone on here is defending by the way.....It doesn't surprise me that nobody here even bothered to mention this...They can go ahead and tear his fing house down. It really has nothing to do with the city. It is between these trashy people and the bank.

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 8:32am
Viper I am not defending anyone on here.  I am just saying the city isn't doing what is right.  I was always taught 2 wrongs never make a right - so is it right for the city to the wrong thing?  NO

I will be the first to say, quit animal testing, and use convicted sex offenders.  But you cant make a decision based on this on his past - some type of discrimination and potential lawsuit.  Really I would hate to see an individual walk away with a million of our tax dollars because our council acted stupid. 
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 9:08am
The city didn't do anything wrong... that is just it. The city was in full compliance with all the laws in place, which is what D. Adkins was trying to say. There was a length of time for someone to make an appeal if there is a demo order put on a property (I think 90 days). That time came and went by the time these people bought the house.  If these ppl were able to buy the house from the bank (who would have known full well what was going on with the demo orders), it isn't a city matter. The city is not at fault. They need to sue the freaking bank who sold them a house that was going to be demoed. It is a fraud matter between these ppl and the bank, or it could even just be a matter of ignorance on the part of the owners. I don't know if I could even trust what a convicted child predator was telling me.... so I really don't buy his sad sob story. Here is another question to consider... of the council members that did not want to move forward with the demo... do you think they actually knew this guy was a sex offender?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 9:32am
Viper - I also know alot about real estate law.  The city would have to do a title search - they would see this house was scheduled for foreclosure.  If they notified a owner it may not have been the same owner during the 90 day window.  There fore the owner of the property may not have known it was to be demolished when it was sold to this couple.  I am not saying they are or are not in their legal guidelines for disclosure -  but why would you put yourself in the middle of a lawsuit.  Which in turn will keep the property from being demolished at the scheduled time anyway.  Any good lawyer would get this stopped. 

Sometimes using a little common sense goes a long way.  Such as delay, and see if they bring it up to code. The city has a potential lawsuit on there hands, and they really can not afford to part with any more money. 

To be honest with you - do you expect that Adkins would say any different then they were in compliance with the law.  Last time I checked in any court room there is always 2 attorneys battling out saying they are right - but it turns out one is always wrong.  Did Adkins ever say he notified the bank the property was to be torn down or did he say he notified the owner (which could have been the individual that lost it in foreclosure).  In this case - the bank probably did not know. 
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by viper771 viper771 wrote:

The city didn't do anything wrong... that is just it. The city was in full compliance with all the laws in place, which is what D. Adkins was trying to say. There was a length of time for someone to make an appeal if there is a demo order put on a property (I think 90 days). That time came and went by the time these people bought the house.  If these ppl were able to buy the house from the bank (who would have known full well what was going on with the demo orders), it isn't a city matter. The city is not at fault. They need to sue the freaking bank who sold them a house that was going to be demoed. It is a fraud matter between these ppl and the bank, or it could even just be a matter of ignorance on the part of the owners. I don't know if I could even trust what a convicted child predator was telling me.... so I really don't buy his sad sob story. Here is another question to consider... of the council members that did not want to move forward with the demo... do you think they actually knew this guy was a sex offender?

Whats does this guys pass got to do with anything? Why is the city not willing to give them lets say 30 days to make the repairs or even better let them show the city they have the money to bring the property up to compliance instead of setting the city up for a lawsuit?I can answer that,cos Most of are leaders are heartless,Spineless and just plane stupid.Smile
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 11:21am
what this man did was wrong, i can't see where he can do much harm if its true his hands are ooo smashed,well DESERVED!! ouch that had to hurt... but i believe his sister is the one that got the place ,she does not look like a crack head,Heroin junkie,  walmart thieve, air conditioner hocker,   if they dont give this lady a chance!!! then ones that say they are moving forward should live a burning life in hell.!! IMO heck i have 6 within a mile of me but im not skerred!! you can put in any address you want, in any city within miles and their there, glad to see more and more women buying and getting their ccw, thats not good news for the rapist.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 7:12pm
A Simple title search would have taken care of this problem instead of taking shortcuts.

PacmanCool
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 9:32pm
And the city did do a title search actually. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 3:33pm
The Buyer should be doing the title search.  If the buyerfailed to invest in a title search and title insurance then that is his problem and he should suffer the consequences.

PacmanCool
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 5:51pm
Viper if you know so much about this, why dont you tell us.  Did the city notify the bank that owned the property or the individuals that lost the property?

Did they put signs up stating the property was going to be torn down? Condemned signs? 

In my opinion the only thing you have shown is the city not wanting to do the right thing because of this individuals past - which many here agree is not a valid point to do the wrong thing?

Title search by the buyers would not show that the house was to be torn down it would show they house was purchased by the bank - but there were would be no disclosure on a title search stating the cities intension to destroy the property.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 7:37pm
First of all, what Pacman said is exactly right. Second, the city did put signs up on the property. I believe D. Adkins actually says this during the council meeting. 

The city is doing right thing by going ahead and tearing the house down bec the city did everything on their end legal wise. All that stuff was done 2 weeks before these people bought the house in the first place. 

The whole part of Mr. Byrds past tells us this... The guy has no credibility. It is as simple as that. I mean it is bad enough that the guy is a Tier III predator. If his hands were crushed that badly by a forklift (which that story sounds odd in itself), how is he able to make such "smooth looking" gestures during the council meeting? 

It would be the banks responsibility to DISCLOSE if the property was going to be demolished. This is why I said the foul play is between the bank and these people... not the city. You should ask the council members that wanted to stop the house from being demoed if they read their pre meeting briefing packet and had any idea what was really going on. I know that they like to cater to the MUSA crowd a lot. So I would say go ahead and ask them...
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 8:27pm
Pac man is right , they should have invested in a title search, but this would not tell them it was scheduled by the city to destroy. I am betting that title insurance would not cover their loss either.   If they did put signs up, then they should not have bought it. Based on watching Adkins on the Section 8 fiasco, cant say I believe everything he says.  I am just stating if  you have the opportunity to avoid a lawsuit get a house up to par, move the funds to another property that should be demolished, wouldnt that make sense.  But we are dealing with city employees, and they tend to not use common sense. 
2nd - I dont think council caters to MUSA - if so, we would not have lights going up on Main Street.  They cater to themselves.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 8:36pm
Well a couple of members on council do cater to the MUSA crowd.. and the street light issue is a whole other topic.

And what if the same thing happens again with another house that is to be demoed? Are the owners going to boo hoo about the demo so it stopped again? That is what D. Adkins was talking about and how it will really open a can of worms in the process of getting rid of a lot of blighted homes.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 8:17am
Well, it looks like the Section 8 fiasco between the city and HUD is going to hit the fan. Journal story...

Housing expert says city is ‘playing with fire’
Section 8’s watershed moment with HUD will play a part in determining the city’s future

MIDDLETOWN — Cutting 60 percent of Middletown’s existing Section 8 housing vouchers would be reckless and could cost the city millions of dollars in funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, low-income and housing experts say.
City officials plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 vouchers through attrition in the next five years. They say Middletown is over-saturated with subsidized housing that is taxing city services, generating crime and negatively impacting the city’s image. Middletown has the highest rate of subsidized housing in the state at 9.7 percent.

"GENERATNG CRIME, TAXING CITY SERVICES AND NEGATIVELY IMPACTING THE CITY IMAGE"......GEE, WHAT DID THEY THINK WOULD HAPPEN? AND HOW LONG AGO HAVE WE BEEN SAYING THIS?...AND IT TOOK THEM UNTIL NOW TO REALIZE THIS? YA KNOW, THIS GROUP OF CITY OFFICIALS AREN'T THE BRIGHTEST BULBS IN THE PACK, ARE THEY?

But city officials recently sent HUD a letter refusing to back down from their position.

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Brown said HUD has the ability to cut off all of its Community Development Block Grant funds if the agency believes Middletown is not being fair with its voucher program. Middletown is slated to receive $1.4 million in CDBG funds this year, according to city records.
She said she has talked with HUD after hearing about the city’s plans and that the agency is “extremely upset with Middletown.”

Middletown had less than 800 Section 8 housing vouchers in December 1999, but that figure more than doubled by October 2005. City officials placed a moratorium on accepting additional subsidized housing vouchers in 2005 in an effort to stop single-family homes from being transformed into multi-family residences.
A 2005 staff report on the moratorium stated: “A major concern expressed in the master plan is the trend towards higher renter occupancy in formerly owner-occupied neighborhoods. This trend has been coupled with disinvestment in the same neighborhoods.”
Butler County Treasurer Nancy Nix, who served on Middletown City Council when the moratorium was introduced, said it’s “anybody’s guess” what will happen if Middletown is allowed to reduce the total number of vouchers to 654.
“I hope that (HUD) would understand that we are out of balance and let us reduce it to a reasonable amount,” Nix said. “There is no reason that Middletown should be the Section 8 capital of the state. It’s a continued strain on our services, and it hinders our progress to be a more vibrant community.”

THANKS NIX. WE REALIZED THE BALANCE THING AND BEING THE SECTION 8 CAPITAL OF OHIO YEARS AGO, BUT IT'S GOOD THAT YOU REAFFIRMED THAT. OH, BY THE WAY, WHEN YOU SAT ON COUNCIL AT THIS TIME AND SAW THE SECTION 8 SURGE DOUBLE, WHAT WERE YOU AND THE OTHER COUNCIL MEMBERS THINKING?

Brown said Middletown needs to concentrate on economic development, bringing in new businesses with new jobs, and the city’s 23 percent poverty rate will drop.
“That’s where their time and energy should be,” she said.

AHAH! "BRINGING IN NEW BUSINESS/JOBS AND CONCENTRATING ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT" IS WHAT MIDDLETOWN OUGHT TO BE DOING.......WELL, I BELIEVE SOME OF US HAVE ALSO BEEN SUGGESTING DOING JUST THAT THE LAST 10 YEARS OR SO. NO ONE LISTENING THOUGH.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 11:34am

But city officials recently sent HUD a letter refusing to back down from their position.

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said
Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Brown said HUD has the ability to
cut off all of its Community Development Block Grant funds if the agency believes Middletown is not being fair with its voucher program. Middletown is slated to receive $1.4 million in CDBG funds this year, according to city records.
She said she has talked with HUD after hearing about the city’s plans and that the agency is “extremely upset with
Middletown.”

Brown said
Middletown needs to concentrate on economic development, bringing in new businesses with new jobs, and the city’s 23 percent poverty rate will drop.
“That’s where their time and energy should be,” she said.

But..but..but Mr. Adkins has assured us that he will have more than enough time to spend ALL THE HUD FUNDS that he has been stashing away over the past several years before HUD pulls the plug on the all this free money.

As I have stated numerous times over the past 4 years the CDBG Funds have not been used in the areas of greatest need.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 2:00pm
Section 8--HUD-- crime--poverty--jobs--properties--demos--giveaways--streets--priorities

seems like everyone around gets it except for Council and Admin
Their circling of the wagons seems to get tighter every day, while total refusal to smell the coffee and get the big picture.
Could everyone be wrong but them? Possile--unlikely

The continued 30-year focus/favoritism/spending in one struggling area has begun to show the strain elsewhere
The entire city is suffering from neglect

When Middletown29 and his cronies championed moving the dedicated road improvement funds into the general fund, they surely had no idea that our streets would be completely de-prioritized and neglected.

I believe in wht Mr.A is doing fundamentally, and if we lose or have to re-pay govt.funding, then so be it. Whatever it takes to break this grip of poverty/stress.

Be very interesting to see how it plays out.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Well, it looks like the Section 8 fiasco between the city and HUD is going to hit the fan. Journal story...

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Of course she's going to say this.  Her livelihood depends on these types of programs.  Of course she wants us to believe that Middletown is wrong in their approach.

I want to see hard facts on this notion that Section 8 voucher holders are generational Middletonians. 

From what I understand, the goal of the increase was to help with the decline of housing stock, not to serve a need of a population.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic