FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOO MUCH SECTION 8?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 3:14pm
Nice understanding of the situation
Total agreement here, though it will not be decided by your or my thinking
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Brown said Middletown needs to concentrate on economic development, bringing in new businesses with new jobs, and the city’s 23 percent poverty rate will drop.
“That’s where their time and energy should be,” she said.

What Housing Expert Ms. Brown fails to state is that even if/as new jobs are brought to the city, the number of vouchers remains the same.

As people become more upwardly mobile, their desire for higher quality housing stock grows.  

While economic growth is important, it doesn't solve the # of voucher problem.  

I'm all for helping those who can't help themselves---the low income elderly, the disabled.  

But something has to be done about this "generational" curse in Middletown.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 4:34pm
Professional shills like Mrs. Brown should not be listened to.  Does anyone believe the nonsense that the iincrease in Sec 8 was for generations of Middletonians?  Did we have an explosion in births at Midd Hospital in the last 15 years resulting in the increase in vouchers?
HUD, Butler County, and the state of Ohio had to be ecstatic when Midd decided to increase our vouchers.  Like a sticky flytrap this city decided to attract all the residents that other communities did not want. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Well, it looks like the Section 8 fiasco between the city and HUD is going to hit the fan. Journal story...

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Of course she's going to say this.  Her livelihood depends on these types of programs.  Of course she wants us to believe that Middletown is wrong in their approach.

I want to see hard facts on this notion that Section 8 voucher holders are generational Middletonians. 

From what I understand, the goal of the increase was to help with the decline of housing stock, not to serve a need of a population.

SWOHIO75..... ONLY THE FIRST LINE OF YOUR QUOTE IS MINE. CHECK THE STORY AGAIN. I DID NOT SAY, NOR SHOULD I BE QUOTED THE LINES PERTAINING TO BROWN. IF YOU READ IT AGAIN, IT IS PART OF THE STORYLINE FROM THE REPORTER. I MERELY COPIED THE STORY. NOT MY THOUGHTS. NOT MY WORDS.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 4:15am

Gentlemen

Did you know that 41% of all births in the US are to unwed mothers?

We have uneducated young girls having babies.
We have young boys who haven’t graduated who can’t find jobs to help support these babies.
These are the new faces of poverty in our country.

SWOhio

The increase in vouchers was to fill the empty houses, increase the population and fill the coffers of City Hall. The higher the poverty level the more FREE HUD FUNDING you can get…

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 6:26am
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE????

Today's Journal story....

Residents upset over scheduled demolition of recently-purchased home

MIDDLETOWN —
Charles and Chire Byrd had barely started fixing up the Glenwood Avenue home they thought they’d bought for $5,000 earlier this month when city officials “kicked in the door” on March 15.

The siblings were surprised to discover that the home had been declared a blight and was put on the city’s demolition list in January.

HOW CAN A HOME BE ON THE MARKET FOR PURCHASE IN MARCH WHEN IT HAD BEEN PLACED ON THE DEMO LIST IN JANUARY???? WHO WOULD HAVE DONE THE CLOSING ON THIS WHEN THE HOUSE WAS CONDEMNED?

The Glenwood Avenue home was purchased by Fannie Mae for $24,400 in May 2012 and then Home America, a California-based company, acquired it for $1,000 in August 2012

Because of its poor condition, the city determined on Jan. 7 that the house should be torn down and a demolition order was posted on Jan. 9. Home America, any lien holder, or anyone interested in buying the home had until Jan. 29 to file an appeal, but no one did.

The Byrds began the process of buying the house from Home America in early March, but were unaware it was slated for demolition. They became the official owners of the property March 21

IF HOME AMERICA KNEW OF THE DEMOLITION ORDER FOR THE PROPERTY, HOW COULD THEY HAVE SOLD IT TO THE BYRD'S? SOUNDS LIKE FRAUD ON THE PART OF HOME AMERICA, DOESN'T IT? HOW CAN A COMPANY KNOWINGLY SELL A DEMO LIST HOME TO ANOTHER CLIENT?

Scott Meier, operations manager for Home America, said the building was sold “as is” and believes his company was upfront with the Byrds. ( "AS IS" MEANING DEMO LISTED)- A MISREPRESENTATION OF THE FACTS BY MEIER.

“We tell people to check things out before you buy,” Meier said. “This is an as-is purchase, and we encourage you to go out and to look at the the property, make as many calls as you want, call the city, call the county, check things out before you buy it, because you’re buying an as-is.”

WHAT? BUY "AS IS"? A HOME THAT WAS TO BE DEMOLISHED IS A "BUY AS IS"? SCOTT MEIER AND HOME AMERICA NEED TO BE PROSECUTED I BELIEVE. WASN'T NOTIFYING THE BYRD'S OF THE PROPERTY STATUS PARAMOUNT HERE? WHY WAS THIS PROPERTY EVEN OFFERED?

Chire Byrd said she does not want to file any action against Home America because they want the house

BUT THEY COMMITTED FRAUD HERE CHIRE. PROSECUTE THEM. THEY TOOK YOUR MONEY ON A BOGUS DEAL.

??? WHY WOULD HOME AMERICA WANT A HOUSE THAT IS TO BE TORN DOWN? DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO ANY OF YOU FOLKS?

Vice Mayor Dan Picard voted to move ahead with the demolition, but stated if there was some type of court action preventing the city from moving forward, “I might be of a different opinion.”

IF THE COURTS PREVENTED ACTION FROM THE CITY, DANNY, YOU PRETTY MUCH HAVE TO BE OF A DIFFERENT OPINION. IT'S NO LONGER YOUR CALL.

Charles Byrd said he simply wants a home for his family in Middletown.

“Isn’t that what it’s supposed to be about?” he said. “People moving into a house, keeping it nice, fixing it up. That’s what I want to do. This is my town, I love Middletown

CHARLES REALLY LIKES MIDDLETOWN AS HE HAS EXPRESSED THIS MANY TIMES.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 11:29am
Hit the news last night on channel 5. 
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 12:05pm
There is more to this story......More to Charles' story...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

There is more to this story......More to Charles' story...

Gotta feeling we've all heard all that will be offered from the media. SWOHIO, please tell us what they have failed to report.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 5:41am
Posted: 6:31 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bill calls for people receiving assistance to have drug test

CHARLOTTE, N.C. —

A new proposal could mean people seeking public assistance in North Carolina may have to pay for it by giving up their privacy.

“I think that's crazy,” said Erica Hooper.

Before you receive a dime in public money, the bill would require you to take a drug test and if you fail the test, you'd be required to undergo treatment.

“Wow. To me that's quite extreme,” said Sharell Watson.

Some people say it's fair that if you want government aid, you should follow government rules.

“If you are able to go out and do things that are hindering you from being able to work and take care of yourself,  then you have no business asking for help from anyone else,” said Robert McDaniel.

On the opposing side, Jennifer Rudinger, head of the American Civil Liberties Union calls it "not only a violation of an individual's constitutional rights, but notoriously ineffective."

Watson agrees saying help should not come with conditions.

“They're supposed to be able to help everybody. Even if they are homeless or on drugs, that's what the assistance is for -- to help them out and to get them on their feet,” Watson said.

Others are on the fence saying give people aid but don't allow them to abuse it.

“They should get help, but not in that way. If they plan to continue to do what they're doing.  They should go to a rehab if they really want help,” said Catie Godrey.

A similar law passed in Florida actually cost the state more money to pay for those drug tests than it would've paid out to welfare recipients on drugs.

Only about 2.5 percent of applicants tested positive for drugs.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:23am
Is there any wonder why we have such a budget deficit and public debt when we demand that the state pay millions to save thousands? Look at this program in the state of Florida: spent over $100 million to save $600 thousand. What may sound like a reasonable idea is, in fact, a state funded giveaway to private testing companies. There has to be a better method.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 9:09am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

Is there any wonder why we have such a budget deficit and public debt when we demand that the state pay millions to save thousands? Look at this program in the state of Florida: spent over $100 million to save $600 thousand. What may sound like a reasonable idea is, in fact, a state funded giveaway to private testing companies. There has to be a better method.

Better method?

Give the people who are applying for assistance a list of approved drug testing facilities. Have the facility doctor review/sign off on the results and forward to the Section 8 people for their records. Have the applicant pay for the test at the time of the test. If they really want the taxpayer to foot the bill, then they should have no problem affording the testing fee and not whine about it. The testing should be scheduled without notice and at different intervals. If they are given a test date, they have time to purge. Can't allow that. No state funds used.....only potential participants money is allowed. No pay-no passing the test-no housing. People don't have the money you say? Tough. Get it if you want to qualify. Enough coddling.

Some.....some people looking for a handout have alot of nerve thinking they "deserve" this service with no commitment. Wrong.   
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 8:34am
with my CDL lic. i had to wiss in the cup for almost 20 years, didn't like it but to get my $$$ at the end of the week, just had to do it, my problem with it there was only around 50 of us with the CDL'S that got the random every three months,BUT all the office people did not have to go thru the drug testing,just thought it was wrong.. first they started % wise of around 20 of us at a time, if anyone got positive the % taken text time there would be more, darn seem like i would get chosen every darn time LOL one time they did it 30 min before quiting time, didnt have to wiss then, got an hour overtime out of them, so they stopped pulling that crap at that time of dayLOL  the ones that got caught positive were given 6 weeks off without pay and insur,it cost these guys alot of $$$ to rehab then if you did the class you could return then if you came up dirty again (YOUR FIRED) man there was a few that got fired, all i could think was how stupid can you be to lose a good paying job over drugs. Wacko then what would really wiss me off was seeing many that did not work for $$$ and see-em early in the morn drinking their BUD, smoking their dope on the front pouch all day and night, and thought darn im out here working so you all can live this way for nothing, just thought it was plum wrong..so what im thinking still today if you want a roof over your head and food in your belly you will take that damn drug test at any given time to have that roof and food.. but i also believe we need to help the young that want help..the ones that dont want help will allways be out there taking their chances and stealing, mugging, doping their way thru life, what a waste... 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 2:37pm
Bumper,

If what you say is true, it sounds to me as if your company's drug testing program is flawed.

A proper drug testing program should include pre-employment testing for ALL employees.  Likewise, ALL employees (including management and administrative staff) should be included in the sampling of employees to be tested at random.

Are you certain that the "office people" did not have to test?  If drivers were brought in all at once for testing, perhaps the office staff either got tested first (or last) and just stayed at their work stations while non-office personnel were tested in order to get them (the drivers, for example) in and out quicker?  
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 3:19pm
Can someone tell me does Fenwick have a fish fry today? Time and place?
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 8:01pm
the office did have pre-employment testing but never random..so IMO yes it was flawed..it was saving them money..
chrie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 7:03am
i work 40 to 60 hours a week as an assistant manager i also used to drive a box truck for lance inc before i lost my job 6/5/2010 my father was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer on 2/16 of that year he passed on 7/28/10 at hospice I dont know about you but it still hurts he apologized to me because we were poor i looked at him stating we are richer than most as we have each other Smile and promised giving my word that i will help take care of my mother and little brother! Now for at least my generation i know a person is only as good as their word and as far as the house there was NO city signs on any doors or windows!!! the only signs 2 by the way were from home america if mr adkins would have called the # on them he would have had the correct address for the company that sold the home and as far as my brother he admits he made some mistakes when he was younger who hasnt just some are worse than others it was 30 + years ago and also do you realize he has never failed to register unlike alot and has not even had a speeding ticket or seat belt ticket since his release and i want to say thank you to all the ones pulling for us all i know to do is keep my word my head high and do the best i can also an fyi the city gives 20 days not 90 if they gave 90 this would not be an issue as we would have fallen into that time frame and applause to those who understand and have humanity Clap
chrie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 7:11am
also forgot to mention my home at 652 auburn st was arsoned on 9/20/2010 never found out by whom all this is in referance to 1710 glenwood the byrds and the concil meeting on 3/19/13 and 4/2/13 as to the rats yeah right ask an exterminator rats and mice as well as roaches leave droppings where they walk THERE ISNT ANY LOL
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 9:25am
just ask the cops and firemen what they think about section 8 in Middletown. They will tell you it totally drains their services and time handling more important issues. Also they will tell you that it has brought an element into the city that isn't good for Middletown at all. The front line workers are the ones who deal with it every day and they will tell you it has killed this city.
chrie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 11:40am
thank you vivian we go to court on 4/18 at 9 am in butler co court  hopefully things go good i just dont understand though they want to reduce govt housing so why dont they let our citizens purchuse these low $ homes to rehap then they will own maintaian and pay property taxes would that not be more benificial to ones pride and self worth as well as more $ for the city just sayin Smile
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 5:23pm
There are soo many of these homes available in middletown, I don't see a rush of people buying/rehabing for themselves.  I wonder why? ...

Nevermind, I know why.
chrie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by bumper bumper wrote:

what this man did was wrong, i can't see where he can do much harm if its true his hands are ooo smashed,well DESERVED!! ouch that had to hurt... but i believe his sister is the one that got the place ,she does not look like a crack head,Heroin junkie,  walmart thieve, air conditioner hocker,   if they dont give this lady a chance!!! then ones that say they are moving forward should live a burning life in hell.!! IMO heck i have 6 within a mile of me but im not skerred!! you can put in any address you want, in any city within miles and their there, glad to see more and more women buying and getting their ccw, thats not good news for the rapist.
chrie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 7:22pm
thank you bumper and he has always registered with the correct information anyone can make a mistake it is what they do from that point on at least thats what i was always told he has not even had a speeding ticket since his release and anyone its a good idea to get and use ccw ! ( before they take that right away too ) I rember my grandmother tellin me how alot of the homes in home acers were built by people who came here to work in the factorys ( my grandfather carl carver worked at sorg paper ) when they built their first home Smile
chrie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 7:38pm
how do you truley know for sure with out giving it a chance and not to sound bad i am talking about people who are low income and can not get a convintinal loan you know at least 10000 a year in earned income I really think you would be surprised but lets even say put a cap on the purchuses only 1 per family or person and if you make 40000+ you are not eligable to keep out slum lords and reduce the need for gov housing and bring us back to when you can do it trust me roofing ,dry wall,and plubing is not that hard however I always have my electrician on hand I aint doin that not even a switch plateLOL
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 1:03am
Originally posted by chrie chrie wrote:

how do you truley know for sure with out giving it a chance and not to sound bad i am talking about people who are low income and can not get a convintinal loan you know at least 10000 a year in earned income I really think you would be surprised but lets even say put a cap on the purchuses only 1 per family or person and if you make 40000+ you are not eligable to keep out slum lords and reduce the need for gov housing and bring us back to when you can do it trust me roofing ,dry wall,and plubing is not that hard however I always have my electrician on hand I aint doin that not even a switch plateLOL

Only thing is that it takes money to re hab a house and most the people that would be living in them cant afford to bring them up to snuff. Middletown has slim chance of ever being what it once was and if it ever does it will take many years and a lot more then just restaurant jobs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic