FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOO MUCH SECTION 8?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOO MUCH SECTION 8?
    Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 9:22am
Posted: 12:00 a.m. Sunday, March 10, 2013

How much is too much Section 8?

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

Middletown had a total of 774 Section 8 housing vouchers at the end of 1999 and over a six-year span more than doubled that number, according to city records.

Today, this Butler County city of 48,962 has more subsidized housing per capita than any municipality in Ohio.

That’s a statistic that Middletown officials have been anxiously working to change in recent years. Reducing Section 8 housing has become such a priority that the city administration and City Council are willing to risk the ire of and legal action from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development by eliminating 1,008 vouchers and falling out of compliance with the agency’s regulations.

Fourteen percent of the city’s housing stock, or 3,300 units, is subsidized housing, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins. Too much Section 8 “is not the root of our problems,” he said, but it can impact the overall image of the city and hinder progress and economic development.

“The city can only support 654 housing choice vouchers within the (Middletown Public Housing Authority) program,” Adkins said. “Any further saturation would … cross a tipping point where the additional subsidized housing creates more problems than benefits to the city as a whole.

“At that point, families of all incomes suffer because the city cannot provide adequate services to its residents,” he said.

But landlords like Jeff Faulkner, who rents several of the properties he owns to Section 8 tenants, disagree. They say Section 8 is big business in Middletown, bringing in millions of dollars to the city and serving hundreds of vulnerable, low-income and elderly residents who need decent, affordable housing.

The city pays about $10 million in funds it receives from HUD to the hundreds of landlords who rent to Section 8 voucher-holders. The city’s proposed voucher cuts would eliminate $6 million in payments to those landlords.

Faulkner said Middletown’s Section 8 program had “always been a strong, community-friendly program” until the city terminated its former administrator, Consoc Housing Consultants, and replaced them with Cleveland-based Nelson & Associates in March 2011. Since assuming more local control, he said, City Hall has been “beating up” Section 8 landlords with its strenuous property inspections and regulations.

Faulkner the city’s plan would not only run hundreds of low-income residents out of the city, it would also create an almost equal amount of vacant housing. That’s why he and other landlords favor transferring the program out of the city’s control.

“I think the Section 8 program needs to be moved to Butler County,” he said.

HUD had made a similar suggestion to Middletown officials in response to the city’s proposal to reduce its vouchers from 1,662 to 654. The federal housing agency objected to the city’s plan in a Dec. 18 letter, telling officials to fill 95 percent of its available vouchers, transfer its voucher program to the Butler County Metropolitan Housing Authority or face possible legal action.

The Middletown Public Housing Authority, which is made up of all seven city council members and the city manager, has told HUD it intends to proceed with its plan. About 1,300 vouchers, or less than 80 percent of those available, have been issued to date, and that number will continue to decrease through attrition over the next five years, officials have said.

Adkins said the data shows that — outside of the low-income housing tax credits — Middletown has almost twice as many subsidized housing units as Hamilton County and more than four times as many as other southwest Ohio housing agencies. He added that Middletown also has almost four times the state average.

“The city suffers from an overabundance of rental property, beyond what the existing market can support and a corresponding lack of home ownership in distressed neighborhoods,” Adkins said. “During the past 10 years, the city implemented a policy of increasing the number of Section 8 vouchers to assist low-income residents.”

Before Dec. 1, 1999, the city had 774 Section 8 vouchers. But because the city wanted to reduce the vacancy rates of older and less-desirable homes, and to ensure that housing remained in compliance with city code, Middletown officials began to accept additional vouchers, Adkins said.

The city added 888 over the next six years, with 56.9 percent of the vouchers having been added in 2000 and 2001. The last increase came on Oct. 1, 2005 when they accepted 108 vouchers.

In March 2011, Middletown terminated its contract with Consoc, which had managed the Section 8 program since 1996. The change happened because of 13 deficiencies related to operation of the program.

At about the same time the city was changing program administrators, the Middletown Division of Police and the Office of the Inspector General started an ongoing investigation of Section 8, which has so far resulted in the arrest of 10 landlords — five in 2011 and five in 2012 — after they uncovered tens of thousands of dollars in alleged improper rental payments made on behalf of voucher-holders, said police spokesman Lt. Scott Reeve.

The investigation, which is being lead by Middletown police Detective Ken Rogers, and tighter controls on the Section 8 program have had a positive effect, Reeve said.

“Crime was down last year for the first time in a few years, and I think the Section 8 investigation has something to do with that,” he said. “The program was not supervised at all for many years, and when Doug took over the program, he enlisted our help to clean it up.”

Some of the charges included landlords living in properties where tenants were to be living, or collecting Section 8 money when the property was vacant, Reeve said.

“There was a lot of abuse going on, in addition to the fact we have a disproportionate amount of Section 8,” Reeve said. “It hurts the crime rate, it hurts the school system, and it’s difficult to talk about because it comes across that we’re anti-poor. We’re not anti-poor, but we shouldn’t be disproportionate.”

Real estate, rental and leasing is the largest private sector service industry in the state, Adkins said. And while home sales were on the upswing in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area, according to 2012 and 2011 data, Middletown has not benefited from positive home growth, he said.

“In the wake of the housing market collapse and the decrease in available credit, the city of Middletown suffers from a substantial oversupply of vacant, undesirable housing, leading to almost complete disinvestment in many neighborhoods,” Adkins said.

Councilman A.J. Smith, who cast the lone dissenting vote on the city’s plan to cut vouchers, agrees there is a need to fix the Section 8 program. But he disagrees with the way the city is going about doing it.

Smith said Middletown will likely see some decline in the number of vouchers because of sequestration, the across-the-board federal spending cuts enacted March 1. HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan testified last month before Congress that the sequester would result in about 125,000 vouchers losing funding.

“But I don’t think it (voucher reductions) should be initiated by us,” he said. “I think we have an obligation to care for our constituents, and we should care for those who can’t care for themselves.”

Smith said the city’s Section 8 vouchers should be spread out better. While vouchers are peppered throughout Middletown, the highest concentrations are in the western and central portions of the city. Many of the vouchers are in the city’s 2nd Ward, which Smith represents.

“The way we’re doing (voucher reduction) is by any means necessary,” Smith said. “I don’t think we’re taking a very diplomatic approach.”

Smith said he doesn’t think Middletown should bear the burden of all Butler County’s low-income housing, but he worries about the public perception of the city’s current actions.

“I don’t think our message should be to get rid of all the poor people,” he said. “That is what the community is feeling City Hall is trying to do.”

This is the first of a three-part series looking at the past, present and future of Section 8 in Middletown.

Showing its age

Middletown has some of the oldest homes in Butler and Warren counties:

Middletown:

52.7 percent of the city’s homes were built before 1960

11.4 percent of the city’s homes were built after 1990

Butler County:

31.2 percent of the county’s homes were built before 1960

32.3 percent of the county’s homes were built after 1990

Warren County:

16.6 percent of the county’s homes were built before 1960

51.9 percent of the county’s homes were built since 1990

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

Residential sales

Here is the 2011 and 2012 sales data on Butler County:

2011 | 2012|% change

No. of sales: 3,259|3,812|14.51%

Average home price: $134,464.00|$136,675.00|1.62%

Median home price: $122,000.00|$125,000.00|2.40%

Source: Multiple Listing Service of Greater Cincinnati

Join the conversation

Visit us online at Facebook.com/MiddletownJournal and join our conversation about Section 8 housing in Middletown.

Follow us

Reporter Michael D. Pitman tweets about Middletown news at the Twitter handle @mdpitman.

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 1:32pm

Faulkner said Middletown’s Section 8 program had “always been a strong, community-friendly program” until the city terminated its former administrator, Consoc Housing Consultants, and replaced them with Cleveland-based Nelson & Associates in March 2011. Since assuming more local control, he said, City Hall has been “beating up” Section 8 landlords with its strenuous property inspections and regulations.

Faulkner the city’s plan would not only run hundreds of low-income residents out of the city, it would also create an almost equal amount of vacant housing. That’s why he and other landlords favor transferring the program out of the city’s control.

Of course he is going to disagree with it.I say he has  most of the vouchers.My understanding of the Section 8 is that there are only certain people that live in the place and thats it.After the lease is signed some move in other people and charge them to live there.Mind you there already getting a discount for the rent.Dont say it dont happen cos I know of a person that is doing it.This person is trying to get them out but is fighting city hall. If people are going to get help out of the taxpayers money they need to follow the rules.If not oh well.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 3:29pm

Word on the street….
City Hall just received an answer back from HUD concerning the reduction of Section 8 vouchers.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Word on the street….
City Hall just received an answer back from HUD concerning the reduction of Section 8 vouchers.

And ?
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 7:40pm
There is not a chance in hell that HUD is going to allow the reductions that the city is requesting.
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 9:15pm

And ?

Bocephus
I have no further information at this time

There is not a chance in hell that HUD is going to allow the reductions that the city is requesting.
Greygoose
I believe HUD will now turn the entire Section 8 program over to
Butler County before the end of March. I believe the Nelson & Assoc contract is to be renewed on March 21.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

And ?

Bocephus
I have no further information at this time

Greygoose
I believe HUD will now turn the entire Section 8 program over to
Butler County before the end of March. I believe the Nelson & Assoc contract is to be renewed on March 21.
And the slumlords are doing the happy dance.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 8:54am
You guys have been talking about Middletown being the Section 8 capitol of Ohio for years. Finally council has heard.

Kudos to all you fantastic and informed posters.

Also I see the Pioneer Cemetery is getting attention too. We all know who we can thank for that, right Viv?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 10:37am
Well seems to me if Middletown gets stuck with Section 8 the only recourse the city has is to strictly enforce the toughest ordinances on section 8 Landlords in the area , in order to drive them away and out of the city. I am talking Oakwood and Indian Hill style ordinances. 

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 10:52am
I find it interesting the pro argument for Section 8 is nobody wants those houses anyway so let's try to make "productive" use out of them.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 11:34am

ktf1179 - Well seems to me if Middletown gets stuck with Section 8 the only recourse the city has is to strictly enforce the toughest ordinances on section 8 Landlords in the area , in order to drive them away and out of the city. I am talking Oakwood and Indian Hill style ordinances. 

ktf1179

Please remember that Mr. Kohler and City Council REQUESTED the increase in Section 8 vouchers. While you may want to drive THEM away and out of the city please stop and think about where you live. The law clearly states that City Hall can not do selective enforcement against Section 8 landlords and their properties.
It is my opinion that City Hall is getting very close to a civil rights violation and discrimination.
If you want to drive out all the landlords of rental property then the inspections should be the same for ALL landlords and ALL properties.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 12:03pm

“The city suffers from an overabundance of rental property, beyond what the existing market can support and a corresponding lack of home ownership in distressed neighborhoods,” Adkins said. “During the past 10 years, the city implemented a policy of increasing the number of Section 8 vouchers to assist low-income residents.”

Before Dec. 1, 1999, the city had 774 Section 8 vouchers. But because the city wanted to reduce the vacancy rates of older and less-desirable homes, and to ensure that housing remained in compliance with city code, Middletown officials began to accept additional vouchers, Adkins said.

Swohio75 -I find it interesting the pro argument for Section 8 is nobody wants those houses anyway so let's try to make "productive" use out of them.

swohio75
No matter how City Hall now wants to try and justify their decision to increase the Section 8 vouchers over a five year period….This was clearly a total failure of City Leadership on numerous levels.  This was all about Greed and Feeding the Beast

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 12:50pm
"If you want to drive out all the landlords of rental property then the inspections should be the same for ALL landlords and ALL properties."

I agree with you on this statement. It should not only be for Section 8 properties, but for all properties, and Landlords. I would even include everyone who live in Middletown.

Yes I know I chose to move to Middletucky from Springboro,  but that is no reason we have to accept that image as status Quo. 

There is no reason why a Lawns can't be mowed, sidewalk can't be shoveled when it snows, backyard should be littered with toys, and junk. There is no reason why cars should be parked on the streets for months without moving. There is no reason homeowners should allow for Sidewalks and Driveways to crumble into gravel. There is no reason for house and properties to neglected so much that they become health hazards to live in. 

Also Middletown needs to a curfew, and a noise ordinance, if there is not one already. 

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that off my chest. 

But this is the type of stuff that the city needs to crack down on, not just Section 8, but for everyone in Middletown. The only way to improve the image of Middletown, is to get tough on these violators. If they want to live here they need to live by Middletown's Rules, not by what they think is acceptable. 

I am not against Section 8 housing, as long the property is maintain, and the people living there doesn't  cause an problems with the neighbors and the community. In fact the house I bought was a HUD House that I got for 90K.

I know I do complain  a lot on this forum, about various issues, that's because I know Middletown can do better if the City and it's citizens rise up to change it. I do like living here, much to everyone's surprise. l love my house, the location, the conveniences, and yes most of the people who live here. I am even holding out hope for the city, with the possible remodel of the Towne Mall, the attempt to reduce section 8 to more of a reasonable level, and the beautification efforts on the East End of town. In fact I am glad to see a lot of the homes in my neighborhood being re-modeled and flipped for re-sale increasing the values of the area. I am seeing Middletown starting to finally do the right things, but there is tons more things that needs to be done as well.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 1:26pm
Since Mr.Kohler was the driving force behind the earlt 2000+ Section 8 increase, AND the funding related, it might be interesting to see just how much of that early funding went out quietly to homeowners of the upscale residences in his historic S Main area and what names recieved these grants, if any did at all.

Time to cut the # of vouchers by whatever means necessary

The framework of our local economy , schools and safety has been damaged beyond repair(at least for the next 10-20 years).

Let the pigs squeal all that they want

jmo

jmo
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 1:41pm
spider, there was a lot of money that went to homeowners, especially several on south main st. Like mr. nelson self kept saying "follow the money". You could check out several remodeling jobs done several years ago when Kohler was in charge of the loans and the money.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 2:38pm
Whatever happened to Nelson Self...is he still around?
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2013 at 1:41pm
ktf1179,

The Housing Agency doesn't have the authority to increase the "toughness" of the inspection process beyond the guidelines laid out by HUD, but I can assure you that they are 10 fold tougher than what they used to be (and I'm not complaining). I just had a duplex inspected that had passed the previous 11 years (same tenant) and this year's inspection came back with 9 deficiencies that had to be addressed. The tenant hadn't changed..... just that the standards were being enforced.   
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2013 at 6:16pm

ktf1179,

The Housing Agency doesn't have the authority to increase the "toughness" of the inspection process beyond the guidelines laid out by HUD, but I can assure you that they are 10 fold tougher than what they used to be (and I'm not complaining). I just had a duplex inspected that had passed the previous 11 years (same tenant) and this year's inspection came back with 9 deficiencies that had to be addressed. The tenant hadn't changed..... just that the standards were being enforced.   – greygoose

Greygoose
Your above statement is incorrect. Several years ago Mr. Adkins decided to use the International Inspection Code as part of the HUD Section 8 Voucher Program.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 6:18pm
ADKINS HAS BEEN LYING TO COUNCIL AND PUBLIC FOR SOME TIME NOW, AS I'VE BEEN TOLD'SO IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

ADKINS HAS BEEN LYING TO COUNCIL AND PUBLIC FOR SOME TIME NOW, AS I'VE BEEN TOLD'SO IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Anyone that doesn't know by now that not only does Mr.A tell little white lies the rest of the "SPINELESS ONES" ones does also.LOL As Judge Judy says "Wouldn't believe them if their tongues came notarized."LOL
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 8:45pm
Yes,LMAO,You're right, but I guess what is most distrurbing is that he is an attorney J.Mulligan is an attorney, Les Landen just sits there, A. Scott-Jones tells us all the time about her law exprience, D. Picard is an attorney and our City Manager is the Director of this program and city council just listens to all the spin and believes it.IMO
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 10:07pm
Lawyers are the best of the best of LIL White Liars. What I don't understand is Why more people of this Dead Town don't stand up to the "Spineless Ones?"Takes more then just a few to make them listen to all not just a few.The ones they listen to is the ones that are in need of something and want the rest of us pay for it.There the ones that are Spineless ones cater to.Ones that say Scratch my back and I will scratch yours and reward you in the end.IMO everyone of them needs to be kicked out of there seats and then a step farther investigate them. To many times it has been said,We are Broke then all of a sudden,they find a money tree. 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 11:14am
Once again LMAO You are right, thank You!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 11:29am
It would be nice if we could organize something like the "red shirt" people did, and have a spokesperson to address council with OUR grevances.(just dreaming out loud)
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 12:00pm
OTH many people have addressed the "SPINELESS ONES" and they only listen to certain ones.If your not on their "A" list forget it.Use to think that a couple of them understood the regular people but they have shifted to the other side.
With this section 8 thing,IMO a person should only be allowed so many vouchers.There are a few that has more then 5 and IMO I think it just wrong.I own a few houses and would NEVER accept Section 8 housing.To many headaches.Get people in there that destroys the house and the owner is the ones that has to pick up the tab.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic