Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGENDA 6-04-2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AGENDA 6-04-2013
    Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:07pm

MIDDLETOWN CITY COUNCIL AGENDA , June 4, 2013

BUSINESS MEETING- 5:30 P.M. COUNCIL CHAMBERS – LOWER LEVEL

1. MOMENT OF MEDITATION/PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG

2. ROLL CALL

3. CITIZEN COMMENTS

4. PRESENTATION-Armbruster Memorial Award-Ralph Connor

5. CITY MANAGER REPORTS

Employee of the Month

Council on Aging of Southwestern Ohio- 2012 Annual Report for the Butler County Elderly Services Program

6. CONSENT AGENDA. . . Matters listed under the Consent Agenda are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and one vote of consent. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If discussion is desired, that item will be removed and considered separately.

(a) Approve City Council Minutes: May 21, 2013

(b) Receive and File Board and Commission Minutes:

Golf Course Commission – November 19, 2012 and March 4, 2013

Middletown Convention Visitors Bureau – February 28, and April 25, 2013

Historic Commission- April 25, 2013

Citizens Advisory Board- May 15, 2013

(c) Confirm Personnel Appointments:

Bus Driver- Timothy Finney

Part-time Bus Cleaner- Douglas Barker

Corrections Officer- Kate Fryer

(d) Receive and File Oath of Office:

Benjamin Bultman

7. MOTION AGENDA

(a) To authorize the sale of a nonproductive City owned lot at 606 Crawford Street for $500.

8. COUNCIL COMMENTS

II. LEGISLATION

1. Resolution No. R2013-11, a resolution to adopt the revision of the Solid Waste District generation fee and amend Section VIII of the Solid Waste Management Plan of Butler County, Ohio and declaring an emergency.

2. Resolution No. R2013-12, a resolution authorizing the transfer of monies in the Storm Water Fund to the Downtown Improvement Fund. (1st Reading)

III. PUBLIC HEARING – MidPointe Library System – 2014 Budget Request

IV. EXECUTIVE SESSION

Under the authority of O.R.C. 121.22(G) (1) To consider the appointment, promotion or compensation of a city employee.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:58pm

RESOLUTION NO. R2013-12

A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE TRANSFER OF MONIES IN THE STORM WATER

FUND TO THE DOWNTOWN IMPROVEMENT FUND.

WHEREAS, certain real property located at 1810 Manchester Avenue (Parcel #

Q6532018000060) is owned by the City; and

WHEREAS, said property was obtained as the result of expenditures from the Downtown

Improvements Fund; and

WHEREAS, the City was prepared to sell said property and place the proceeds of the sale in the

Downtown Improvements Fund; and

WHEREAS, the City has determined that said property may have value in complying with legal

mandates for a Long Term Control Plan for storm water; and

WHEREAS, if property were purchased by the City for purposes of complying with such legal

mandates, the purchase would be funded in whole or in part from the Storm Water Fund; and

WHEREAS, rather than sell the property at 1810 Manchester Avenue and purchasing property, it

saves money to retain ownership of the 1810 Manchester Avenue property and require the Storm Water

Fund to pay for the property to the Downtown Improvement Fund;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Middletown,

Butler/Warren Counties, Ohio that:

Section 1

City Council hereby approves the following transfer of funds to reflect the use of the property at

1810 Manchester Avenue for the legally mandated plan:

$100,000.00 From the Storm Water Fund (Fund #515)

To the Downtown Improvements Fund (Fund #481)

Section 2

That this resolution shall take effect and be in force from and after the earliest period allowed by

law.

Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., Mayor

1st reading: June 4, 2013

2nd reading:____________________

_________

Adopted:______________________

Effective:______________________

Attest: _________________________

Clerk of the City Council

H:/Law/Leg/2012 Leg/r Transfer Water Funds.doc

S T A F F R E P O R T

For the Business Meeting June 4, 2013

May 29, 2013

TO: Judith A. Gilleland, City Manager

FROM: Preston M. Combs, Interim Public Works & Utilities Director

PURPOSE

To transfer funds from the Sewer Fund to the Downtown Fund for the old Office Outfitters property.

BACKGROUND AND FINDINGS

The City purchased the Office Outfitters property with Downtown Funds in an exchange of

properties which brought the new UDF convenient store, fueling station downtown a few years ago.

City staff was preparing to list the old Office Outfitters property for sale last month when we realized

that this particular site has potential to partially reduce our combined sewer overflows as a part of the

Long Term Control Plan (LTCP). The LTCP is currently being developed to present to USEPA this

fall.

FINANCIAL IMPACT

The property is valued at $99,610. There are sufficient funds in the Stormwater Reserve Fund to

cover the transfer of funds.

RECOMMENDATION

It is recommended to transfer $99,610 from the Stormwater Reserve Fund to the Downtown Fund

and transfer control of the old Office Outfitters site at Charles Street and Manchester Avenue to

Public Works for future stormwater retention.

ALTERNATIVES

The City could proceed with advertising the property for sale or hold the property as is.

Purchase of Office Outfitters Property

*Transfer of Funds*

CONFORMITY TO CITY POLICY

Yes

EMERGENCY/NON-EMERGENCY

Non-Emergency

DEPARTMENTAL CLEARANCES

Judy Gilleland, City Manager

Michelle Greis, Director of Finance

Leslie S. Landen, Director of Law

Denise Hamet, Director of Economic Development

Scott Tadych, Assistant City Engineer

Betsy Parr, Clerk of City Council

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 7:13pm
I thought that this property was purchased from Duncan Oil (for $300,000+ with the old Clark station corner), so that Duncan could use the $$ to buy the property at the point of Central and Broad meeting University?

The UDF property didn't have anything to do with this by my re-collection.

The city already owns this vacant lot, so why the need for the fund transfer?
What is going there?

Remember---this was a rush purchase for "parking and a convenient store/laundromat/fueling station" adjacent to the rumored but not built train station for the state rail system between Cincy Dayton and Columbus.

Am I wrong?
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 7:28pm
Spider your absolutely right.Our "Spineless ones" and a few others in the City building has a hard time keeping up with there lies.
My question to the "Spineless ones"is,If you can transfer monies from one account to another why can't you do the same to fix some of these crumbled roads here in the city?Hell with the downtown,dont you think you have or shall I say We have gave them enough? I'm still waiting on my free building.Please give me the Manchester so I can make it into Apartments for the Students that go to Cincy State.Big smileBig smile...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 5:14am

Spider - I thought that this property was purchased from Duncan Oil (for $300,000+ with the old Clark station corner), so that Duncan could use the $$ to buy the property at the point of Central and Broad meeting University?
Spider, I thought it was the Duncan Oil property between Central and First Ave, at the tracks where the mini mart was going to be built. The same property where they tore down the small strip mall.  The same property that now has 3 foot weeds growing on it to give it that nice unkept look as the signs WELCOME YOU TO DOWNTOWN

The UDF property didn't have anything to do with this by my re-collection.
Spider, you are correct, UDF didn’t have anything to do with this Duncan Oil property transactions

The city already owns this vacant lot, so why the need for the fund transfer? What is going there?
Yes sir, the old SHELL GAME is still alive and well at City Hall.
“the City has determined that said property
may have value in complying with legal mandates for a Long Term Control Plan for storm water” How can this property have anything to do with the storm water control plan???
The truth of why this $100,000 needs to be transferred is the fact that Ms Judy needs more money in her DOWNTOWN FUND for her special projects…period.
This is a perfect example of how City Hall has raped the Sewer Separation Fund for years.
Email City Hall and demand that this property e sold and only then can the funds can be transferred to the Downtown Fund.
CITY HALL RAIDING OF THESE FUNDS MUST STOP NOW!

this was a rush purchase for "parking and a convenient store/laundromat/fueling station" adjacent to the rumored but not built train station for the state rail system between Cincy Dayton and Columbus.
Yep another act of pure desperation by City Hall 

Am I wrong?

Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:22am
Well said, Vivian.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:58am
Well,as you can see, the Mayor has already "blessed" this farce so "brother" will go along as well as "best buddy" Mort. Please don't let AJ and Josh along with Picard get sucked in to this shell game. Anita ,if you can ever stand up against the injustice here, NOW IS THE TME.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 11:32am
The city ALREADY owns this property(paid $300,000 for it--remember?), so--WHY are they "selling" it to themselves?
Why not just "gift it" like every other purchase lately?
Obviously because(as Ms.Moon stated) this is a fund transfer sham to funnel more money  FROM the storm sewer fund(AGAIN!!) into the starving beast black hole formerly known as our downtown. Maybe we can get a detailed explanation @ Council Tues. as to what this property(initially purchased for train station parking) has to do with sewers or storm water retention. I know of no extra drainage or sewer piping in that area. Also why we will never be able to fund adequate sewer repairs, since this fund has been constantly raided for ?ably related pet projects.

I know a little about the history of this propty, since Duncan contacted me to see if I would take over the propsed(but abandoned) plan to build a fuel center/convenient stor/laundromat there. There rep stated that their business was selling fuel, not running retail operations. I politely declined that offer since in essence, I would have been competing with myself down the street.

So-----when this water bill charge was created, I called it simply an un-mandated tax on the citizens. Mr.Marconi(then a commissioner) objected to my opinion, which has pretty much now played out exactly as I antcipated. The $$ has been shuffled to many un-related projects, and honestly has had little to nothing to contribute to sewers and storm water.

I can't believe that everyone who signed off on this issue as being correct can look us in the eye and call it the truth.
But they obviously  can do just that.
They really take us to either be that stupid and non-caring, or simply they don't care at all to stick this sham in our faces.

Since it is going forward as a non-emergency, they already have the votes in line, and probably won't even discuss the issue. Pathetic
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 3:52pm
Spider
I read this legislation several times and it really doesn’t say anything. It’s a joke
“the City has determined that said property
may
have value in complying with legal mandates for a Long Term Control Plan for storm water”
The word
may
in this legislation gives City Hall a blank check, a way out later to save face for lying to the taxpayers about this transfer of $100,000.
Don’t forget City Hall just raided the Wellhead Protection Fund of $600,000 and council didn’t even blink an eye as they all voted yes.
Ms Judy just told us the other day that we will be over a million dollar short in revenues over each of the next several years….It is time for City Hall to put ALL these city owned properties up for sale to refill the coffers.
What about the other properties that City Hall purchased down on
Central Ave
? We have gotten no bang for those bucks either.

WE ARE GOING BROKE!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 5:34pm
When I read this story, I thought what does the old Office Outfitters location have to do with any sewer issues? Reading further down the list, my suspicions were confirmed by all of your comments. The legislation to move money out of the sewer fund to the downtown fund to put yet more money into the pipedreams of a select few in this town, doesn't surprise me. Been going on since at least the 80's when Becker and company slid money out of the street funds to place in their little project fund, which sees the most money pass through than any other fund. The General Fund seems to have money meant for other purposes pass through it on a regular basis also. Old Russy Carolus was a master at the peanut under the shell game as the city played it's "voodoo magic" with the people's money. You are right spider, it is pathetic.......these people, including the entire city council are wrong to go along with this. Why do they continue to be the blind sheep being lead around by the city administration? No fight in any of them. Gilleland and her people are really hurting this city with her mode of operation. She, along with her administration and the entire council need to go.....now. They only cater to the elite few. Mistake after mistake and no one to call them on it.

We need people who demonstrate logic, prioritization abilities and competence. Those in leadership positions and who occupy the city building and those who sit behind the council desk don't seem to have a clue how to run a competent operation. Apparently Middletown is incapable of attracting leaders with enough skill to run a city correctly. This city has become a train wreck for sure.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 11:43am

Government has gone crazy from local to national its like the whole country has lost its morals and no one cares any more.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 4:22am

Well maybe someone at City Hall can tell us why Ms Judy needs this money and on what project this $100,000 will be spent?
If we get lucky maybe the council members might even ask a few questions before they approve this
transfer.  

Maybe
council members should be reminded that we will be having an election in November.

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 7:20am
If Ms. Giileland worried one-tenth as much about the general fund as she does about the downtown fund, perhaps we wouldn't be going broke.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 10:13am
If Ms. Giileland worried one-tenth as much about the general fund as she does about the downtown fund, perhaps we wouldn't be going broke.

Richard
 I agree....Clap

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 10:53am
I say it is time we start to share this news on our Facebook pages. Maybe the more information we share on Facebook and social media on what is going on, we might start to get people more involved in this town. I mean look at what happened in Cincinnati with the Parking deal.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 10:53am

Richard

Not only did City Hall rob Peter and Paul to get the 1.1 million dollar matching funds needed for the Ohio Moving Forward grant to demo 300 homes....but with each home that they demo they are loosing about $1,000 in property taxes....plus any delinquent taxes that were due on the property. Confused

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2013 at 10:19am
Thank you A.J. Smith for asking all the right question about the transfer of $100,000 from the Storm Water Fund to the Downtown Fund.

Why on earth would you build a storm water retention pond on a $100,000 commercial zoned property with an 8 ft chain link fence around it? Talk about an eye soar to the surrounding business area….This entire discussion made my 3 little gray cells go TILT…TILT…TILT

Ms Judy was not happy with Mr. Smith because she wants more money in the Downtown Fund…period. This entire discussion had nothing to do with storm water.
Just heard that Sam Ashworth’s step on, Scott Tadish, will be taking over Preston Combs’ position as head of Engineering Department.

Then Mr. Mulligan brought up the fact that City Hall had purchased other properties with the Storm Water Fund. Well Mr. Mulligan this was yet another royal screw up story from City Hall. If you remember the City installed a storm water culvert in the wrong place and as a result the houses on each side were damaged with water and mold. Home owners were going to sue City Hall so City Hall purchased both houses for about $250,000 and then demoed the properties.
Yep this was yet another $250,000….Down the Drain.

And then the lady from
Main Street stood before council and said “Shame on You” for going behind the back of the Historic Commission to get a demo order on the Rose Furniture Building before you ask for our approval. She also stated the demo of this building would cost City Hall $300,000.
Where is Ms Judy getting the money to demo this building?
Could it be that she needs the above $100,000 to help pay for this demo job?

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 11:16am
The lady also mentioned D.Adkins attempt to "bully" the Historical Society. Well, isn't this like the 3rd time we've heard about Dougie "bulling"? 1st the landlords then the homeowner now H.S. Dougie, cut back on the caffeine, you're out of control!!
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 12:05pm
It sounds like this power-hungry bureaucrat should be retitled Community Revitalization Prosecutor.  His enormous ego doesn't tolerate differing opinions of the citizenry.  Maybe there's a bit of insecurity behind his frequent displays of bravado?  Perhaps he should consider riding the bull at the upcoming bovine event?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 12:18pm
Oh,it sounds like there's lots of insecurities,that's why he wants Ms.Judy's job then he can have more power instead of being her "lacky"IMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 12:49pm
Over the Hill & Liberterian
I also believe that Mr. Doug is wanting Ms Judy's job and that increase in pay.
But we still haven't heard from HUD....so Mr Doug might be looking for another job very soon.
I heard that HUD had a show & tell of Mr Doug at the City Council Meetings...they were not happy with his performance...oooops!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 1:25pm
if any one has facebook and you don't know about this Middletown page it has over 3,000 members and not many of them have a clue about whats going on but be gentle because the admins have been known to ban people =) and oh yea you have to click on the "join group" button and wait for acceptance. you are welcome

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 1:27pm
Over The Hill -

Perhaps the saddest thing about Mr. Akins are the laudatory comments that a handfull of MUSA contributors made about him for several years after Ginger Smith was "encouraged" to retire four years ago.  Just look at some of the baseless statements that were made on his behalf.  I hope that they are somewhat enlightened now.

Vivian -

Thanks for your updates about the HUD mess.  The potential outcome may not be what Middletonians really want.  Of course, Mr. Akins could apply for jobs in West Chester as he did a few years ago.  Then, he wouldn't have to commute from Mason and could work there amidst wealthier neighbors.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 7:09pm
Very interesting HUD news
We shall see just how effectively Mr.a has himself organized.
I am not betting against him YET
Remember--he didn't drag us into the HUD mess
Happened long before his time, and he is trying to take us OUT of it

I can see him being an effective city manager also
He would definitely cut the crap and bull that has gone on for over 10years IMO

I like the guy, and hope to stay on the right side of him
He will listen and probably be more open than the current crew, and may take us away from the former downtown area lunacy expenditures
Plus he would tear down the Rose building.
Gotta love that + put the hysterical society in his place
Remember--Marty works for him

Jmo
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 7:31pm
Spider,

Finally Someone Who Understands What Mr A Has Been Through.  As Well As The Fact That He Had Nothing To With Section 8 Mess In Middletown.  It's About Time Someone Got It right.

PacmanCool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic