Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, May 8, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 3:33pm
Vivian,
Isn't your post circular logic?  The poverty numbers increased in Middletown because the section 8 vouchers increased.  As more of them are filled the poverty will go up again and there will be need for more vouchers and on and on and on.

Regarding council requesting more vouchers..who here is satisfied with the logic, or lack there of, that council uses?  My guess is that we can continue to increase the vouchers and increase the poverty until Middletown is one big subsidized housing project.  Then people can argue that the government needs to build more housing to take care of the poverty needs.  If we have a chance to turn Middletown around those in need must look somewhere else for their help.  A community can only support so much charity until it brings them down too.  Middletown is well beyond the limit.

Perplexed...I totally agree that the city has wasted HUD money and has sold the citizens out with the "price" to receive HUD money. 
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:44pm
Vivian -

Thank you again for providing MUSA with relevant documentation.  There's nothing more important than hard evidence that fully back up your assertions.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:40pm
Say what you will about the negative impact of the Section 8 program.  What most of you continue to ignore is the waste of HUD funds (CDBG, NSP, HOME, Stimulus) and misguided planning of the occupants of the fourth floor of the municipal building.  Consider the opportunities foregone by Judy, Doug and company.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:39pm

Gentlemen
    You seemed to be blaming Section 8 landlords and tenants for all the crime and poverty problems that have occurred in Middletown while you never seem to discuss the other subsidized housing units located in Middletown.
    If all these other subsidized housing units were available in Middletown in 2000 then why did City Hall requested 900 more Section 8 Vouchers over the next four year period?       

From City of Middletown Section 8 Analysis
June 2010
Page 25

CURRENT SUBSIDIZED HOUSING IN MIDDLETOWN, OHIO

MPHA Housing Choice Vouchers…………1662
BMHA Units in Middletown………………..593
Low Income Tax Credit Housing…………...604
Privately Owned Section 202/811…………..574
Assisted Housing Doty Trans.Living………...66
Hope House…………………………………..50
TOTAL UNITS……………..……………3,549

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:20pm
Gentlemen
I hope the following information will help you better understand the poverty levels in
Middletown. Please remember that over the past five years these numbers have increased.

From City of Middletown Section 8 Analysis
June 2010
Page 12

POVERTY LEVELS 2006 - 2008

% Families Below Poverty Level
Middletown 13.5 %
Ohio 9.7%
U.S. 9.6%

% Individuals Below Poverty Levels
Middletown 19.0%
Ohio 13.2%
U.S. 13.2

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 2:18pm
STANKY:

"What gets me is HUD's boo hoo claim that the city has not properly considered the impact of reducing vouchers on the recipients"....

Personally, I don't care what the "impact of reducing vouchers does to the recipients" because we aren't suppose to have but half the number we have in the first place. The city is doing them a favor by offering the number of vouchers that they are as we are only suppose to be distributing around 700 rather than the 1400 offered now. HUD knows good and well that we are only suppose to have around 700 for a city the size of Middletown. They have found a sucker (Middletown) to take all the vouchers not wanted by reputable cities and will do anything to force this city to hold on to them. Makes it easy for HUD to dump them in one place rather than to have to scatter them all around Butler County.

And, put a time limit on those so-called "rights" too. Then, ready or not, you're on your own, paying your own way like the rest of us have to do. Handouts should never be "forever". JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by processor processor wrote:

In my opinion Middletown's failure is a result of many different forces.  Squeemy points out one huge drivers.  Middletown's businesses used to be locally owned and operated.  Over time these were sold and became facilities within larger organizations.  This resulted in the management staff being significantly reduced.  As these people left town looking for opportunities the professionals who supported them, lawyers, accountants, etc also drifted off.  I think that this was just a changing of the times and was no one in particulars fault but it did significantly reduced the talent in town.  To witness this just look at many of Middletown's seniors.  Many are world class in intellect, drive and achievement.  Then look at the 30 - 50 year olds.  There are still some high achievers, but not nearly as many as before.  Then look at the 20 - 30 year olds.  Certainly some high achievers, but an even smaller proportion of their age cohort.

The city councils/administrators of the 1980's - 2000's certainly let us down with their lack of understanding of the underlying forces and appropriate counter measures.  I think they were trying to hold on to what they had versus looking for appropriate replacements.  For example they tried to hang on to the downtown retail by doing a "me too" and putting a roof over the place.  All this did was postpone the inevitable and make things worse.  They looked to keep the housing stock full and started us down this road of HUD money and Section 8.  They sold our "soul" to an unthinking unyielding bureaucracy instead of tending to city basics...low crime, good streets and other infrastructure, good fire protection, and low taxes.

Now we're in a huge mess with no easy way out.  I think that about the only path out is to significantly reduce the poverty in Middletown by reducing, preferably eliminating, section 8.  Then we'll need to tear down all housing stock, old factories, etc that are not being used.  City council needs to forget all of their HUD type projects and work exclusively on basic city functions; infrastructure, crime reduction, beautification and economic development.  We need to set the conditions that companies find attractive and then sell, sell, sell the city to them.  Ideally they would find some real business people to do the economic development NOT government officials who really don't understand and can't get in to see the right people in the right organizations.  If I was looking to expand my business in SW Ohio Middletown would not be on my short list because of the poverty, high crime, high taxes, etc.  West Chester, Mason, even Fairfield would be on my list.  Only once this was fixed, would Middletown be on my list for consideration.

I feel bad for the low income people who would be displaced, but the boat is sinking and will drown everybody if not righted soon.  No boat; no one can be helped.

EXCELLENT!!!! BINGO! NOW, BEFORE THIS GETS ERASED SOMEHOW.....SOMEONE MAKE A COPY OF THIS. EXPAND IT TO BILLBOARD SIZE AND PLACE IT IN FRONT OF COUNCIL SO THAT THEY MAY READ IT PERIODICALLY TO REMAIN FOCUSED WHILE GILLELAND, LANDEN AND THE OTHERS TRY THEIR BEST TO DERAIL THIS MESSAGE. MIGHT TAKE A COPY AND TACK IT UP ON THE WALLS OF EVERY OFFICE IN THE CITY BUILDING SO THAT THEY STAY FOCUSED ON THE CORRECT THINGS ALSO. I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST THAT RIGHT AFTER THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE AND THE PRAYER, THAT COUNCIL READ THIS VERBATIM BEFORE EACH MEETING IS STARTED.

GOOD ASSESSEMENT PROCESSOR.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 1:44pm
What gets me is HUD's boo hoo claim that the city has not properly considered the impact of reducing vouchers on the recipients. If I was getting a voucher, is it too much to ask that I may have to move somewhere else in order to continue my free lunch? The reality is most of these people would be able to move somewhere within 30 miles. This is a symptom of a larger problem, both in goverment and the population -- the ever expanding idea of "rights". I have a right to my free rent, I have a right to never move for that free rent, and on and on.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 1:31pm
In my opinion Middletown's failure is a result of many different forces.  Squeemy points out one huge drivers.  Middletown's businesses used to be locally owned and operated.  Over time these were sold and became facilities within larger organizations.  This resulted in the management staff being significantly reduced.  As these people left town looking for opportunities the professionals who supported them, lawyers, accountants, etc also drifted off.  I think that this was just a changing of the times and was no one in particulars fault but it did significantly reduced the talent in town.  To witness this just look at many of Middletown's seniors.  Many are world class in intellect, drive and achievement.  Then look at the 30 - 50 year olds.  There are still some high achievers, but not nearly as many as before.  Then look at the 20 - 30 year olds.  Certainly some high achievers, but an even smaller proportion of their age cohort.

The city councils/administrators of the 1980's - 2000's certainly let us down with their lack of understanding of the underlying forces and appropriate counter measures.  I think they were trying to hold on to what they had versus looking for appropriate replacements.  For example they tried to hang on to the downtown retail by doing a "me too" and putting a roof over the place.  All this did was postpone the inevitable and make things worse.  They looked to keep the housing stock full and started us down this road of HUD money and Section 8.  They sold our "soul" to an unthinking unyielding bureaucracy instead of tending to city basics...low crime, good streets and other infrastructure, good fire protection, and low taxes.

Now we're in a huge mess with no easy way out.  I think that about the only path out is to significantly reduce the poverty in Middletown by reducing, preferably eliminating, section 8.  Then we'll need to tear down all housing stock, old factories, etc that are not being used.  City council needs to forget all of their HUD type projects and work exclusively on basic city functions; infrastructure, crime reduction, beautification and economic development.  We need to set the conditions that companies find attractive and then sell, sell, sell the city to them.  Ideally they would find some real business people to do the economic development NOT government officials who really don't understand and can't get in to see the right people in the right organizations.  If I was looking to expand my business in SW Ohio Middletown would not be on my short list because of the poverty, high crime, high taxes, etc.  West Chester, Mason, even Fairfield would be on my list.  Only once this was fixed, would Middletown be on my list for consideration.

I feel bad for the low income people who would be displaced, but the boat is sinking and will drown everybody if not righted soon.  No boat; no one can be helped.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 1:08pm
As I understand it, The hud funds are suppose to be used in the "areas of greatest need" which would be in the low income areas, Well, Doug Adkins and Judy decided to have Middletown declared 54% proverty level so they could use the funds in any area they choose. They decided to take advantage of the article stating "Middletown, One of the fastest dying cities" to cover their plan.
HdMechanical View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HdMechanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

Acclaro:

Don't insult Detroit!  Detroit wasn't stupid enough to pick a fight with HUD, as Middletown has done.

Of course not, they chose to collect the HUD money and allow the tenants to self-police......Thus GangLandClap
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HdMechanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Spider and Vet
I posted 2 maps on this blog several years ago showing Section 8 and high crime areas however now I can’t find the post. High poverty areas = high crime areas is a true statement in almost ever city.
However the research and these maps clearly shows that City Hall over the past ten years did not use the HUD Funds in the areas of high poverty and high crime to help solve the problems.

So where did they use them....? Is there a mandate they must use the funds only for HUD housing........I don't think so, the funds go in the city budget to be used as they see fit. Sure some funds are used for maintaining the properties to HUD standards just like any other land lord who accepts Section 8...Rental is revenue regardless of who pays it, HUD or me. Unless I missing something, this is a for profit venture by the city ....Just so happens they also fund the other resources for the general public. Seems to me the city is policing itself and those who really don't understand the inner workings are crying...

The city is under no obligation to stay committed to section 8  , whats keeps them from just saying kiss this and no longer accept section 8 vouchers......Apply for grants to make it greenspace or update for higher end housing and put the current tenants on the street......
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 11:56am
Guess we can't compare Parma's Section 8 program with Middletown. Dug up an old post from Nelson Self and Vivian dated 2010 which stated that Parma is around 80,000 in population where Middletown is around 48,000. Parma has the allotted (correct) 700+ in Section 8 vouchers where Middletown has 1400+ or so. Gonna skew the data a tad bit if we try to compare.

Spider: Section 8.....lower income....one in the same IMO. It is an addition of poverty that this city can ill afford. Guilt by association at best with Section 8. No matter how we slice it, it can't be a good thing to add to a city, especially in the inflated numbers asked for by the city leaders.

Spider and Vet
I posted 2 maps on this blog several years ago showing Section 8 and high crime areas however now I can’t find the post. High poverty areas = high crime areas is a true statement in almost ever city.
However the research and these maps clearly shows that City Hall over the past ten years did not use the HUD Funds in the areas of high poverty and high crime to help solve the problems.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 10:21am
Guess we can't compare Parma's Section 8 program with Middletown. Dug up an old post from Nelson Self and Vivian dated 2010 which stated that Parma is around 80,000 in population where Middletown is around 48,000. Parma has the allotted (correct) 700+ in Section 8 vouchers where Middletown has 1400+ or so. Gonna skew the data a tad bit if we try to compare.

Spider: Section 8.....lower income....one in the same IMO. It is an addition of poverty that this city can ill afford. Guilt by association at best with Section 8. No matter how we slice it, it can't be a good thing to add to a city, especially in the inflated numbers asked for by the city leaders.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 10:08am
Lay the crime activity maps over the top of the S8 maps.
Scary--however S8 is somewhat scapegoated since the high- density crime areas are also lower- income non-s8 also.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 9:35am
The police have stated the increase in theft has been directly connected to the increase drug use be it cocaine or even more so herion. Is that also connected to Sec 8, Dunno
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 7:55am
Would be interesting to see the numbers on police responses - pre Section 8 lower numbers versus post Section 8 overabundance. Have read articles citing strains to city resources. Just comments, no data that I'm aware of. See the police briefs in the Journal everyday. Looks like we have a jump in theft from candy bars at the UDF to copper out of the air conditioners at businesses and residential. Can we tie this jump to the increase in the lowering of the income levels and all that that brings? Dunno. By inviting HUD to town in abundant numbers, have we made ourselves a target for influencing those connected with the criminal element here as well? Dunno. How about those "at-large" people we read about in the police briefs? Were they attracted here by the freebies initiated by the city?

I would imagine that with the increase in Section 8 and the invite of freebie hand-outs, the trend that would follow would be a certain amount of criminal element that would also track to the city that normally wouldn't be here. No proof...just stereotyping I guess. Wasn't Parma the other Ohio city saturated with Section 8? If so, wonder how they are faring on crime statistics?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 6:05am

Absolutly no proof that Section 8 tenents have increased crime or drained resources in Middletown.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HdMechanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 10:29pm
Hmmmmmmmmm......Maybe look at it this way, lower paying jobs still fund the tax base........Being a consumer 100% is the goal. Taxes are not collected on self-sufficiently, they create jobs and avenues which provide for more tax collections based on population density. They want to tax the same dollar a 100 times.....A lot of smaller businesses do not want higher paying jobs to move in, they will be stuck with a less educated pool of employees or slob workers to choose from.

It is a catch 22 in some aspects, I think CC is heading the right direction on fighting HUD....They need to decrease cost or increase revenue, if the Section 8 housing is a drain on resources then by all means cut it to the workable %.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 9:13pm
Middletown's economy is more around the US than many realize. we don't lag the rest of the US - we've been leading America's decline for decades.

during our "bright past" (and bright it was) - there were over 50 corporate headquarters in Middletown, many of whom traded internationally.
many of these businesses operated in an economy that manufactured goods. Middletown, as in many other similar towns, created value by making stuff. it was capital intensive and employed a lot of people.

since the mid-20th century, manufacturing in the US was replaced by finance.
corporate profits in the US 1950 - manufacturing: 55%, finance: 8%
corporate profits in the US 2004- manufacturing: 6%, finance: 41%

the entire Nation is deluded into believing that moving money creates value and Middletown is among the first to see its results.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Isn't it our city council and and revitilation dept. and our city manager's job to try to keep what business we have and promote new businesses to the area?

What do you mean we have lots of new businesses too bad 90% of them are minimum wage and wont support the people that work there!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Stanky Stanky wrote:

Bo, jobs just don't lose themselves. The question is why did companies leave Middletown, taking the jobs with them, and what could/should have been done about it OR whose fault is it that the conditions haven't been there for new companies to move in.

For the same reason that the jobs left America to go over seas and down south where labor is cheaper and they have less rules and regulations to deal with? I think greed may have something to do with it.

And don't mistake that I agree with our city leadership, I think they have did their share of damage, over the last 30 years or so we have had a lot of bad decisions. It just seems like that when we had good paying jobs before a lot of the industries left town that we had better leadership choices.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 2:53pm
Excellent point, stanky
very telling ?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 2:27pm
Isn't it our city council and and revitilation dept. and our city manager's job to try to keep what business we have and promote new businesses to the area?
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 2:16pm
Bo, jobs just don't lose themselves. The question is why did companies leave Middletown, taking the jobs with them, and what could/should have been done about it OR whose fault is it that the conditions haven't been there for new companies to move in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic