Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, May 8, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 1:26pm
Acclaro you left out one of the main reasons for the decline of middletown/America, the loss of jobs that pay a liveable wage and have decent benefits.
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 11:40am
How about drugs. Would that be put on our police department? With poverty and rampant hardcore drug use going on in this city is it cheaper for our city not to prosecute these individuals because of the manpower and lost money taking to prosecute them. They don't pay their fines and keep on taking up room in our jails between robbing people and stores. Should our police step up and patrol these areas more? Or is that a tax payer drain? I don't see middle class folks getting arrested at walmart for stealing.

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 10:48am
You were talking about grass in the streets here are some picture I took when I went for a walk in the Ayrshire Neighborhood yesterday. After I took these pictures I actually slipped and fell on a sidewalk that was wet and had alga growing on it.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 10:29am
Acclaro, I also think it's F but i'm hoping there's still a chance for "the powers that be" to wake up though that will mean they will have to admit they may have made a mistake. Can you sue them for dereliction of duty. Just asking.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 5:29am
Acclaro:

Don't insult Detroit!  Detroit wasn't stupid enough to pick a fight with HUD, as Middletown has done.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 1:06am
Neil....you are absolutely right. I was driving around town today and just thought what an unsightly mess this city is downtown, east end, north, south. The streets are a mess, weeds growing through them, almost white in composition. This city is near being Detroit.

It would be interesting to have a poll answered.

What in your opinion, caused more decline in Middletown than anything:

A) City council's decisions including the robbing of the annual pavement fund to pay salaries for employees for 25 years.

B)  Lack of "greenfield" sites.

C)  Reactive mindset of all leaders from city council, city leaders, school board, others.

D)  Poverty brought in by the city (ergo Section 8).

E)  Poverty brought in by the city (ergo- lack of economic development).

F)  All of the above.

G) Will Middletown ever come back?

A) Yes
B) No

My answers are F and B.

Detroit version 2.0 is coming; Middletown is already in Mansfield, Youngstown, league. Brighter future? Hell no.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 9:46pm
This town is too far gone.  There is no hope within the next 20 years.  We're far closer to Detroit than we want to admit.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 8:42pm
SJ, OTH

I couldn't agree more. However, it will take more than 10 or 20 citizen daily chats on a forum catering to citizens.  It will take 500 to 1000 active citizens who are willing to do a little work and kick in a few bucks to get the word out.  

PacmanCool
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 10:34am
SJ, No need to apologize, you're just expressing the same frustration that many of us here in Midd. are feeling. We see our opertunities sliping away and there doesn't seem to be answers how to fix it except we know we can no longer cater to a select few, this a city and it's time to act in the interests of what's best for the "entire" city.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 9:34am
holy moly
We all knew that it was bad, but THIS bad?
Poverty almost doubles in Hamilton to 20.9%, and here in Middietown, we now are at 23.2%!!!!(and that was a couple of years ago). Absolutely un-sustainable, and rising with no end in sight. Not only a local issue, however we always seem to be on the high end of these trends while on the low end of new living-wage job opportunities.

Council/Admin is drowning under this---and our town is crumbling from the sewers, streets, jobs, crime---you name it.
Can't lay fault with any one group of people, though these trends have to be broken. Obviously it is a national and global issue.

I assume that a movie complex and a few more mid/low level restaurants is all that we can support.
Still--we have the new owners of Towne Mall struggling for quality tenants---why couldn't that area transform to the movie restaurant complex, since it is already leaning towards low-end retail and vacant? This would leave the eastend still available for eventual higher-end jobs development as has been always planned.

Where is MMF? We haven't heard from them since Admin handed them a check for $75,000.
Weren't they trumpeting that they had been in charge of development of that east end area?
They crapped out in the former downtown area---so why the need for cash if they have also abandoned east end planning? How was the $$ used? Expenses(lol--for what--meetings/lunches?)?
When is their next meeting?
Actually Council/Admin is well-represented there--maybe they could give an update at their next public meeting!
Maybe the MJ could actually research this, and inform the readersip public.

AND.....
we have our annual ballon event next week-end.
The entrances to Smith Park are still an embarrassing mess.
The hydraulic is still a green, mucky disaster(haven't been down there since the rains--should be interesting), and the cement retainer walls along Verity have crumbled to non-existence. The weed growth has been ignored.
Hope that the weather co-operates so that we have balloon flights and patrons.
Either way--outsiders won't get a flattering view of our community, and will leave with that impression.

Sorry for the rant--I don't have a great solution other than attacking these issues one small step at a time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic