Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 27, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towne Mall Scam Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mike View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:56am
About Towne Mall Galleria...no new tenants, but plenty of tenants still vacating. Most recently, Home Connections closed in mid-March and Kay Jewelers, whose last day was Saturday, April 19th. Several other tenants are contemplating leaving because sales are way down from where they were at this time last year. It is a ghost town with very little foot traffic and all in all, this Mall is a very depressing place to work (yes, I do work here so I know a bit about what I am talking about). A bit of the potholes in the parking lot have been roughly filled, so I don't quite feel as if I am going to get my car stuck in one. I suspect that if you stay tuned, you will hear of more tenants leaving in the next few weeks. And by the way, as each tenants lease expired, no new leases have been offered, much less signed. We simply know that we are staying at least one more month when our monthly rent checks are cashed. And by the way, rent is ridiculously low at this Mall. I know that in the past 18 months on this site, it has been suggested that the new Owners should cut the tenants some slack and reduce rent. They have, along with other offers, but when your bottom line falls lower and lower, it makes no difference how cheap your rent is! You simply cannot make any money as a tenant!

Middletown folks constantly bemoan the state of the Mall now and talk about how grand it was back in the day, but then they leave your store without making a purchase. Talk is cheap. Support these merchants who are struggling to stay open!!!
Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 5:21pm
I went to the Social Security office a few weeks ago and wound up wandering into Elder-Beerman's. I bought a nice London Fog jacket for 40% of retail. I've shopped at stores there at Christmas time for convenience. So I've done my part to support the merchants there. But Middletown is just a depressing destination, like "The Walking Dead" set w/o zombies.  
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

I suspect that if you stay tuned, you will hear of more tenants leaving in the next few weeks. And by the way, as each tenants lease expired, no new leases have been offered, much less signed. We simply know that we are staying at least one more month when our monthly rent checks are cashed.

Didn't the two new restaurants - Ice Ice Smoothie and the Greek place shutdown after only a few months?

The last time I was in the mall, I noticed several of the "newer" tenants the new owners had bragged about are now gone.  ALM Sports, Home Connection, Splattered Platter Pottery Studio.

That with the loss of Finish Line and Kay Jewelers recently.

Sounds like little faith in the new owners from retailers.
buckeye43719 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye43719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 7:09pm
I saw on Middletown Journal's web site that All About You Catering will close by July 1st. According to the malls owner  George Ragheb, he will have good news shortly. Come on now. Give it up, Middletown is a lost cause.
Jesus is the only way to Heaven
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 8:25pm
More tenants exit Middletown’s Towne Mall

By Chelsey Levingston

Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
More tenants are calling it quits at the half-empty Towne Mall Galleria, while others wait for the turnaround promised by the property’s owners.

“We just stand here every day in a dead mall waiting for something to happen,” said Melody Palmer, owner of All About You Catering and Bakery.

All About You Catering opened a storefront at the mall in February 2013. Palmer has voiced support for the Middletown mall’s redevelopment until recently. Now she’s saying promises to repave the parking lot, and to sign leases with major foot-traffic tenants have been empty.

“If you don’t stand behind your promises, you can’t get people to move in here. You’ve got to say what you mean and follow through,” Palmer said.

All About You Catering will close its mall location by July 1, unless a “miracle” happens to change her mind, Palmer said. When the mall location closes, All About You Catering will move back to a test kitchen and the eight-year-old catering business will remain open regardless, she said.

The catering and bakery business joins a growing list of other shops to announce their departures so far in 2014 from the struggling mall, including Worthmore Clothes Shop, Finish Line, Wigs for a Change and Home Connection.

Towne Mall tenant Game-Lan(d) & PCs posted this on its Facebook page March 29: “Anyone who has stopped by in the last week may have noticed we are packing things up. Like many businesses in that mall we are closing our doors.”

Kay Jewelers also shut its doors in April. A spokesperson for Kay Jewelers declined comment.

“Every time a business leaves, we’re all hurt,” Palmer said. “If I stand out in the middle of the mall, there’s not one person in this mall.”

Remaining Towne Mall tenants include Elder-Beerman, Miss Selby’s Soap, Bath & Body Works, Rogers Jewelers and others.

“I do plan to stay open for now. I do have a strong customer base in the community, and they do support the store in there,” said Renee Selby, owner of Miss Selby’s Soap, which opened at Towne Mall in April 2013.

“Obviously I would like to see more stores in there as we all would, but I know we’re in a very depressed economy and the owners are doing everything they can,” Selby said.

Owner George Ragheb, of California, whose business entity SA Mary Ohio LLC purchased Towne Mall in October 2012, promised good news soon.

“I don’t have any news, but we will maybe make some news soon,” Ragheb told this news outlet on Thursday.

Ragheb has made similar promises since purchasing the enclosed the mall, telling merchants that major tenant announcements would come by the end of 2013. From 2012 to 2013, 11 small businesses opened. However, some of those same businesses have since closed such as Wigs for A Change and Home Connection.

Last year passed, and no new anchor tenants have signed leases.

Then in January, mass retailer Target announced plans to close eight underperforming stores nationwide due to declining sales, including one in Middletown located across Ohio 122 from Towne Mall.

“It’s difficult to revitalize a mall, this mall in particular. One of the biggest problems we have is Target closing,” Ragheb said. “New national tenants are very afraid to enter the market when a Target is leaving.”

In attracting retailers, Towne Mall is competing with new developments such as Austin Landing in Miami Twp. and Liberty Center, under construction in Liberty Twp.; Cincinnati Premium Outlets in Monroe; and Bridgewater Falls Lifestyle Shopping Center in Fairfield Twp. In a similar situation, Forest Fair Mall in Fairfield and Forest Park is a 1.5 million-square-foot mall also sitting mostly empty as owners pay off delinquent property tax bills. Forest Fair Mall was bought in 2010 and plans by new owners to redevelop it as a family attraction with a hotel, ice arena and amusement center have yet to come to fruition.

While saying that leasing the property has been a lot of hard work, Ragheb still offered reassurances that Towne Mall will be “100 percent successful.”

“We have to find tenants that believe that the Middletown people will buy from local retailers that open up in the area, and it’s a great market to be in,” he said.

“You have been patient for a while, please be patient for just a little bit more,” he said. “We will soon have updates about the mall.”

City Economic Development Director Denise Hamet said she’s been in contact with the mall owners.

“I anticipate an announcement prior to June 1 of an anchor tenant in the Dillard’s building as well as some possible outlot tenants. I also anticipate seeing some construction renovations starting in the next two months and that’s going to potentially include some sustainable energy improvements to the building,” Hamet said.

“The image of the interchange is very critical. We recently sent a proposal on a large scale office project and I intend to step that up,” Hamet said.

Towne Mall Galleria is located on Towne Boulevard in the Warren County portion of Middletown, in the section of the city referred to as the Renaissance District near the Ohio 122-Interstate 75 interchange. The more than 465,000-square-foot mall first opened in 1977.

A group of California investors including Ragheb bought the property for $850,000 in 2012, and later bought the adjoining Elder-Beerman and former Dillard’s properties. Dillard’s department store closed in 2008.
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:48am
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 1:59pm
Judy is Trying to help development in Middletown :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6StlikLsezY
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 10:57am
I had the chance to visit the mall yesterday - just curious, who is responsible for cutting the grass.  Looked like they were working on the parking lot, based on all the orange cones up - but the grass was extremely tall.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:14pm
the grass was extremely tall!!! hmmm  maybe they are gonna have a tall grass sell !! LOL the cones are just the maze you need to avoid if you decide to park and come -on -in to look for nothing...Confused
Iron Man View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by bumper bumper wrote:

maybe they are gonna have a tall grass sell !!

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Why isn't the city putting an orange sign up for tall grass? Confused
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 11:28am
Towne Mall has a new leasing company.  Same agent as before.  She must have switched companies.

http://www.jllproperty.com/US-Retail-en-US/All-property-Cincinnati/Towne-Mall-3461-Towne-Boulevard-Middletown-Ohio-45005/61492

New renderings are posted wit this listing.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 11:44am
I'll believe it when I see it.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 12:07pm
I had to go to the mall last week. Besides Elder-Beerman and Sears, there were 7 stores operating (Worthmore was closing the next day). Two as you enter the main door, Rogers, two (Christian Book Store and one other down by old McAlpin's), none going to Sears, and two (Bath & Body Works and Radio Shack) going to EB.   
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 12:09pm
Are you kidding? Once word gets out that Doug Adkins is in command, tenants will be flocking to the place-there will be a MAJOR announcement any minute now....yep, any minute now....well, soon, very soon...they promised....
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buckeye43719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:49pm
Major announcement any minute.. He promised a major announcement and  people don't break there promise.  He should get into politics. Either party, it doesn't make a difference.
Mike View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:41pm
And by the way, All About You Catering left Towne Mall Galleria by June 1st!
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye43719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:26pm
It couldn't shut down, the towne mall owner promised a major announcement.You must be mistaken.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 9:12pm
The sign with all the stores on it got blown away with the last round of storms we had on Wednesday. 
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye43719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

The sign with all the stores on it got blown away with the last round of storms we had on Wednesday. 

That sign was worth at least $1.28.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 8:35am
Apparently the owners of the Cincinnati Bell property are having better luck at redeveloping their property than the owners of the Towne Mall.

Towne Mall Development Plan
Minor Amendment
Petitioner:
Ken Knuckles of Development Management Group, LLC on behalf of property owner Towne Mall

3363 Towne Blvd./Pendleton Cr. (former Cincinnati Bell Store)

Proposal:
Demolition of the existing building and replace with a retail
mattress store with parking and landscaping.

Decision on Towne Mall Development Plan
Minor Amendment

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 11:07am
i made a trip to middletown a couple days ago and went to the mall to sears in the tool dept, thats it!! think i should change my name to toolguyLOLLOL well got what i wanted, but i just got to wonder how in the heck do they keep it open? i was out wasting some gas and thought i would go to monroe next and the red lights cams at oxford st and old 25 sure have some mighty quick yellow red going on!!! i was first in line at the light with no one behind me so i came to a stop with no problem, across the street was a rear end crash, the people were out of the cars looking at the damage,, my guess is that it had to be of the quick green then real quick yellow red!! right before i got there, i was going slow before i stopped cause there was no way they are getting my pic!!LOL but anyway from what i seen of my old home town, its alot worse now then what it was 8 years ago when i loaded the wagon and moved after 50 years born and raised in middletown, oooo well !! i did have my .45 on my side just in case i ran into anything stupid! but was real glad leaving middletown city limits again!! and returning to my new home and a purdy new blacktop street!!Big smile and in a excellent rating school that spends way less than middletown, to do the job!! and also way way less crime!! city leaders then and now have sure made a mess that, imo  the mess is not done messing!! now all you can do is sleep in it!! they have wissed the funds away for many many years and it is sure showing it!!! but lookout mr. doug is here to save the day!!Wacko
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 11:42pm
Don't worry bumper it will eventually creep into every town and city in America. Apathy the killer of America.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 6:09pm
Well I guess it's official: we will be getting a Burlington Coat Factory in the place of McAlpins at the Towne Mall.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 9:31pm
They apparently plan to open by Fall? 
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:27am
Nice catch, where did you get the info? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic