Print Page | Close Window

Towne Mall Scam Revisited

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: Economic Development
Forum Description: Local government efforts to develop the local Middletown area economy.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5567
Printed Date: Apr 28 2024 at 9:36am

Topic: Towne Mall Scam Revisited
Posted By: Middletown29
Subject: Towne Mall Scam Revisited
Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 12:05am
Owners of Towne Mall are struggling with their promises about bringing in new anchors. Several potential anchors have passed on the opportunity to come to Towne Mall.

Look for more promises but little if any delivery.

Hope the City checks them out before providing any financial support.

Replies:
Posted By: itsamee
Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 8:36am
Do you have a link to a story about the anchors passing?

-------------
Itsa me, mario!

Posted By: John Beagle
Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 9:42am
Interesting .... I know the manager is now the former manager. But I don't know why. One can only assume that things aren't going that swimmingly. 

-------------
http://www.johnbeagle.com/" rel="nofollow - John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.

Posted By: Historic House Guy
Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 10:16am
Take a look at the average income in this city. Why would any of them want to come here? Plus Fairfield Twp. is about to build a "mega" shopping center in Jan. I'm sure they're more interested in investing there.

Posted By: swohio75
Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 12:00pm
I was in the mall over the weekend.  The corridors were freezing, and I wondered if they had the heat on.   It didn't seem so. 

Such a sad state at the moment.

The average household income within one mile of the center is approx. $55k.   And $57k in a 3 mile radius.  Population in that radius is almost 34,000.  Not too bad, if you ask me.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/E/D/0/ED0A6C8F-402D-4F68-AA4D-E81BBB2F2EF4.pdf

Posted By: Bill
Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 12:35pm

A better use of that property for the city would be commercial office space and the tax revenue that would bring, wouldn't it?  Of course, who would move in there and who would fund renovations of the building.....

Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 1:12pm
I support that idea, or, level it and get a HUGE retailer in there to build on the property.

-------------
Itsa me, mario!

Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 1:50pm
Between the EB, Dillards and mall property, the investors have close to $3 million simply to acquire property.

Posted By: Trotwood
Date Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Owners of Towne Mall are struggling with their promises about bringing in new anchors. Several potential anchors have passed on the opportunity to come to Towne Mall.

Look for more promises but little if any delivery.

Hope the City checks them out before providing any financial support.

Please post a link. Right now you are spewing BS

Posted By: Bocephus
Date Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 6:32pm
Post a link? The ownership/management promised 3 or 4 (memory) fails new anchors by the end of the year and that's not the first time they failed to produce on promises. The only thing the new owners have accomplished since they bought it is to run off Dunham's sports (besides get a few local companies to relocate there no disrespect to them) great job.

Posted By: ktf1179
Date Posted: Jan 02 2014 at 7:58am
If anything the mall owners should work on next, is modernizing the lighting in that place. I have never seen such a dark depressing place to shop in my life. I noticed they have updated the lights in the parking lot, but the lighting inside needs it just as bad. It is small improvements that can make a difference in a way a place feels.

Posted By: Middletown29
Date Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 3:05pm
Towne Mall owners are bottom feeders looking for a quick buck with little or no investment.
Where did the City come up with these guys?

Date Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 4:41pm

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/target-closing-blamed-for-towne-mall-stall/ncnhb/" rel="nofollow - Target closing blamed for Towne Mall stall

Yea right. Target closing has nothing to do with the mall. It is a strategic decision.

The Towne mall has a whole different set of problems most of which springs from the place looking worn out. It has never been updated. The mall is old looking and tired. No one wants to associate their business with the Towne Mall without major major improvements.

-------------

Middletown USA

Posted By: Vivian Moon
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:00pm

Posted: 12:38 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014

Finish Line closes at Towne Mall

By  http://www.journal-news.com/staff/rick-mccrabb/" rel="nofollow - Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — 

One of the major retail stores in the Towne Mall Galleria has closed.

The Finish Line, a sporting goods stores that has been in the mall for about 15 years, has closed after not renewing its lease, according to one of the mall owners, George Ragheb, of SA Mary Ohio, which purchased the mall in October 2012.

Ragheb said reported sales at the Finish Line in the mall were “strong.” No one at Finish Line was available for comment. On Tuesday, workers were cleaning out the store, but they declined to comment.

Ragheb said the Finish Line location was about 2,000 square feet. There are 660 Finish Line locations in 47 states.

The closing of the Finish Line came just weeks after Ragheb said potential major tenants were “holding back” on signing leases because Target, located across the street from the mall at 6775 Roosevelt Parkway, was closing. The company announced it was closing eight stores later this year, including Middletown and Trotwood locations.

Ragheb said he was hoping to sign several major tenants to fill the space in the former Dillard’s location, one of the mall’s anchors. He said negotiations are continuing with those tenants.

Finish Line is the second tenant to recently leave the mall. He said Wigs For A Change, one of the 11 new businesses that opened last year, has left the mall, and other retailers haven’t renewed their leases. He said another merchant signed a new lease, at a higher rate, and four tenants are considering opening mall locations.

On Tuesday, Ragheb said soon he would have “very good news” to announce regarding the future of the Towne Mall.

Ragheb said his company remains committed to the Towne Mall. The group has spent $3.3 million purchasing the 465,451-square-foot mall and other properties. They spent $850,000 on the mall, $1.2 million on Dillard’s and $1.25 million on Elder-Beerman. The land and building were valued at $9.48 million, the auditor’s office said.

Posted By: acclaro
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:19pm
No worries....they are moving downtown besides Stained.

They know there is lots of 'feet' traffic downtown. Get it, feet--- shoes.

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Posted By: Stanky
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:56pm
"good news"? What, imploding the site?

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 2:53pm
I heard from a very reliable "state" source the owners, SA Mary, have a deal with Car Max at that location. It won't be a Mall, but a car lot.

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 3:05pm
Car lot?  Shake..my...head...

Wouldn't a fraction of the city's millions used in downtown have been better spent acquiring the mall?  At least the location has more hope.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 3:16pm
Might as well tear down the mall and rebuild it. Or make it a outdoor mall that everyone seems to want. I know in West Virginia they hold Garage Sales in the Mall to increase foot traffic. Also city government is also housed in the malls as well. Maybe Middletown should close up shop in Downtown and operate out of the Towne Mall lol Wink

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 4:08pm
Bill....yes, the ideal brownfield that could have been sold in time at a fraction of the tax valuation.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 4:27pm
When will council/admin finally start realizing this town needs a dramatic change of course -- something daring and outside the box, rather than same ol' same ol'. 

A stage 3 cancer patient doesn't need a warm bed and a cold compress, they need to be evaluated by smart experts and possible receive dramatic, cutting edge intervention.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 4:45pm
I think the owner is confused...
Attracting more tenants is not the same as losing all the current ones...

-------------
Itsa me, mario!

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 6:28am
ktf : "Also city government is also housed in the malls as well. Maybe Middletown should close up shop in Downtown and operate out of the Towne Mall lol"

WHAT??? BLASPHEMY!!! CURB YOUR TONGUE KTF! MOVE THEIR DOWNTOWN FLAGSHIP, THE SS DONHAM, OUT OF PORT AND LOCATE IT IN ENEMY TERRITORY? TAKE THE GOOD SHIP LOLLIPOP AND SAIL 'ER OUT BY THE FREEWAY? YA JUST GAVE THE MAYOR, GILLELAND, 'OLE LESLIE LANDEN AND ALL THE KNIGHTS OF THE DOWNTOWN TABLE A HEART ATTACK SUGGESTING THAT. (KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BY THE WAY!)    

A CAR LOT EHH? NOT A BAD IDEA. IF WE'RE GONNA JUNK 'ER UP, MIGHT AS WELL DO A BANG UP JOB OF IT.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:37am
Middletown has way too many shopping strips that are not in use that should be torn down and rezoned for new development. And if the developer is not going to invest in remodeling the Mall, then it "should" be torn down. Then they should start building some upscale 3-5 story Business Buildings right along I-75, And once you start getting some upper income businesses in those buildings,  then the restaurant and retail will begin to come back.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:28am
ktf, who is "they" and where is that millions in demo money going to come from?

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:37am
SA Mary bought the property to be readily used for new development, ie, they bought the land value, not the valuation of the buildings and existing leashes. As Bill properly stated, they don't have ( or don 't want to spend), the capital you are suggesting). In part, that is the reason for their current tactics: hold tight the current leashes (milking them), while suggesting new  big name, marque tenants are coming. It is apparent to many now with leashes (Finish Line as an example), have figured this out), there are no big name tenants. The big names want an updated store, the landlord/ owners, don't want to spend it. Hence....there is the problem-  no marque names, smaller fish are leaving tired of awaiting the Moby Dick whale that never came.

Now SA Mary sells land for a 2.5-3X multiplier, and.....Car Max appears on land.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:39am
Sorry I should have said the Owners of the Towne Mall could redevelop it into Business Buildings. And the city should try to get a developer thin out some Strip Malls that are in the area. Especially the ones with only one or two businesses in them.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:08am
At this time, I don't believe they own the Sears property.  I wonder how this fits in the CarMax picture..

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:29am
I understand Sears will sell their property as part of deal with a nice profit uptick.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:37am
I do hope the CarMax rumor is a bad joke. After all why would they put on in Middletown, when there is one up by 725? 

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:41am
Market Demand. Aren't there plenty of malls up and down 75 and 71 as well?

-------------

Posted By: processor
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 11:17am
There is no hope for the mall as a mall as it's already surrounded by better malls. Monroe outlet, Bridgewater Falls, Austin Pike and the new Steiner development. The owners would need to spend hundred's of millions of dollars to develop it into something that already exists, or will exist shortly, just up the road. I wouldn't take the risk and I would be shocked if they would. The citizens of Middletown can't support such a development by themselves due to a lack of spending power (witness Target closing) and why would people from other areas drive past current malls just to go to the Middletown mall unless it's really special...which would take a ton of money...and risk.

Too late. The time to do this was 15 years ago before the others were developed or in the process of development.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:55pm
Looks like the Towne Mall Won't be getting Field and Stream

Field and Stream store plans to build at Austin Landing

Austin Landing. (WDTN Photo)

MIAMI TWP., Ohio (WDTN) – Miami Township announced a new addition to the Austin Landing development Friday.

Field and Stream wants to build a 50,000 square foot store at the intersection of Austin Boulevard and Interstate 75.

The store will be one of two to come to Ohio.  The other store will be in Columbus.

Field and Stream is owned by Dick’s Sporting Goods.  It will carry outdoor equipment for hunting, fishing, archery and camping.

“Miami Township is excited to bring this new offering to the Miami Valley,” said Andrew Papanek, Vice President, Miami Township Trustee. “Field & Stream is a destination retailer that will serve the entire Dayton market and all of northern Cincinnati.  I am very proud of our staff’s effort to make Austin Landing a unique destination that continues to grow and attract these types of businesses.”

Reviews and approval of the plan will take about a month.  Construction is expected to begin in March once all approvals are made.  The store should then open in the Fall 2014.

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:16pm
Of course it's going to Austin Landing. What could Midd. possibly offer them to come here. There's so much more at Austin Landing. Our city sat on its hands years ago when talks started floating around about the "new" Austin Landing interchange. We watched while they jumped to action. It appears we still haven't gotten off our A$$ and tried to be a desirable destination for growth. IMO Oh, I forgot about our most desirable down town area! My bad!!

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:20pm
I am starting to really like this small strip. The TJ Maxx up there is swell, buy lots of Merino socks for winter hiking. Then, drop in to Kohl's, and now bypass entirely the Middletown (Franklin) Krogers, and shop at the Austin Kroger which is massive, have their own pizza dough (better than Traders Joe), and then hit 675 up to Traders Joes, and Town and Country strip, and Panera for final coffee while driving back.
Retail just doesn't work in Middletown, even for grocery staples. They hit a home run up there, while Middletown exit just sits.  

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:39pm
I am just waiting for Target to say they are opening a new Target in Austin Landing and closing the Dayton Mall one next. It seems all the business by the Dayton Mall are heading South, leaving the places north of 725 a Ghost Town. Too bad the Austin Blvd. wasn't the Ohio 892 Western Bypass around Dayton that it should have been, then we would have had some major development in the area.

Posted By: ohiostorm
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:41pm

Help me out here. doesn't the "Mall Owner" still need to purchase one more store before they own the whole thing?

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:53pm
They still need to get Sears, then they will have the entire mall.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 5:31pm
So I present a theory. I buy a portions of a mall. I Lie about rehabbing or rebuilding to keep as much rent going and as much community support as I can until I have all the pieces. Then I will tear it down and redevelop with a car lot or office buildings or whatever. This pipe dream of the reborn town mall is never going to become reality.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:38pm
Bingo!

-------------

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Bingo!
Huh??? They're going to tear down Towne Mall to build a huge bingo hall...like the ones on the indian reservations in Oklahoma that pay the large super-jackpots???

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 11:12pm
Hmm...I was just kidding, but actually that may not be too bad of an idea (if only it was legal and they could get a monopoly on the idea from the statehouse.)

It would bring a lot of outside money into town.

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 11:37pm
Mike, I think the Sr. Citizen Cty has a monopoly on bingo play in Middletown. I recall they had a pretty big pot running before the city bailed them out. Just got my notice of the city rah rah supporting the school board levy in May in the H2O bill. 

B  I N  G O, and bingo was his name O.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 11:45pm
Galleria Bingo Hall and Art museum. This could be big!

Date Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 3:22pm
It looks like the Tri-County Mall is having the same issue.

No consensus on future of Tri-County Mall

Black paper covers rows of store windows. The hallways are often half-empty. And despite banners proclaiming shoppers should “expect great things,” little of that seems to be happening at Tri-County Mall.

About one of every four storefronts is empty at the mall that once was a premier regional shopping draw. Dillard’s, a venerable department store, is now a clearance center, where sales are final on unsold merchandise from full-line stores at a 65 percent discount.

Perhaps more telling: The property worth nearly $180 million to buyers in 2005 was sold for $45 million to new mall owners at a Hamilton County sheriff’s sale in July.

“It’s sad for me to go there now and see the skeleton being picked,” said Cynthia Supe, a West Chester Township resident who worked in the mall in the mid-1970s and regularly shopped there for more than two decades.

New mall owner SingHaiyi Group Ltd. has been working quietly for months on plans to help return the shopping center to retail pre-eminence.

Springdale city officials, mall representatives and retail analysts say it could have a viable future. But first, the more than 5-decade-old mall will have to shed its outdated features, and officials must reach a consensus on what its future holds.

The site could be redeveloped to have outward-facing retail shops, more office space, even a hotel, the experts say. The bottom line is to get more tenants in the structure to draw more visitors and shoppers.

Jeff Tulloch, Springdale’s economic development director, said SingHaiyi (sing-HIGH-uh) and its affiliates are working through a significant transition of mall operations including bringing tenant leasing in-house.

Tulloch said he’s been impressed with the Singapore-based company’s approach, although he wishes things could happen faster.

“You need to have capital to redevelop the mall, and there’s no question” it needs to be redeveloped, Tulloch said.

SingHaiyi officials did not respond to several calls and email messages from The Enquirer seeking comment for this story.

Tri-County still key retail area

Opened in 1960, the mall at 11700 Princeton Pike was a major shopping destination in Greater Cincinnati for decades.

Tri-County is still one of the largest shopping malls in the region with nearly 1.3 million square feet of retail space, bigger than the 1.1 million square feet at Kenwood Towne Centre in Sycamore Township.

Macy’s, Dillard’s, Sears and Ethan Allen serve as the mall’s anchors, and BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse and Ruby Tuesday can draw big dining crowds. Macy’s, which owns its own space, is operating business as usual.

In the early days, Shillito’s, H&S Pogue and Kroger were part of the original open-air venue. The mall was enclosed in the early 1970s in keeping with retail trends at the time, and it went through a major expansion and renovation that began in the late 1980s.

“It had always been that way until the growth in Mason and West Chester (and) the three interchanges north on I-75” pulled retail traffic away, said Andrew Sellet, a local Cassidy Turley retail analyst.

Since the mid- to late-1990s, the mall has been losing market share to newer shopping venues such as Cincinnati Premium Outlets in Monroe, Bridgewater Falls in Fairfield Township and Voice of America Centre in West Chester Township.

Less than 10 miles north of Tri-County, developers want to build a $325 million mixed-use lifestyle center called Liberty Center. Columbus-based Steiner + Associates and Chicago-based Bucksbaum Retail Properties say they have a commitment from Dillard’s to be an anchor tenant.

The wealth profile of the Tri-County area isn’t dramatically different from Kenwood, either.

The average household income in the five-mile area around the mall is $71,785, about $8,000 less than the area around Kenwood, according to Nielsen demographic data analyzed by The Enquirer.

The Tri-County area also is expected to see slight growth in its population and average household income through 2018.

Still, only 112 tenants are operating at the mall, which has space for more than 150. Based on total retail square footage available, the mall says it has 86.5 percent of retail spaces leased.

Some tenants counted as current, however, are paying rent on long-term leases on space that’s been closed up. Landlords are happy to take the rent but would prefer the stores be open. A closed space – especially if there are lots of them – has a strong psychological impact on other retailers and shoppers, said Jesse Tron, spokesman for the New York-based International Council of Shopping Centers.

Some longtime shoppers cite another reason for Tri-County’s decline: a policy instituted in 2010 that required people under age 18 to be escorted by a parent or adult guardian after 4 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Although the rule was developed after mall officials fielded years of complaints about kids loitering or being raucous in the mall, it deterred many young people from visiting. It also didn’t work to get more adult shoppers back.

“That’s why they lost a lot of business because they’ve got so many rules, and I guess people don’t feel safe,” said Jamie Hamilton, 30, of Lockland.

Real estate expert: Renewing mall won't happen quickly

Today, SingHaiyi Group Ltd. has a 65 percent ownership stake in Tri-County. Controlling shareholders of the firm own Portland, Ore.-based American Pacific International Capital Inc., which bought the mall last year.

The SingHaiyi deal closed Dec. 13.

In a September news release, SingHaiyi said Tri-County Mall would be its first U.S. property transaction.

SingHaiyi Chairman Neil Bush said the company bought the mall at a deep discount and sees it as a “revenue-generating” investment opportunity. Neil Bush is a brother of former U.S. President George W. Bush.

“We will try to bring more tenants, and talks are underway for a few potential tenants,” Bush said in the September statement.

It isn’t surprising that much hasn’t happened since the summer purchase announcement, said Scott Saddlemire, principal of Sycamore Township-based OnSite Retail Group, a commercial real estate brokerage. He said it will take time, care and money.

Keith Yearout, who leads CBRE’s Private Capital Group in Cincinnati, speculated that the owners are experiencing difficulties in getting commitments not only from new tenants but existing ones as well.

Getting occupancy closer to and above 90 percent will likely be a top goal of the new mall management, said Tron of the International Council of Shopping Centers. He said mall operators should think about bringing unique dining, entertainment and service attractions to their venues.

“You can’t be a collection of stores anymore,” Tron said. “You have to create experiences for customers.”

Liberty Center’s developers are expected to announce more retailers landing at the venue in the next few weeks.

Tri-County Dillard’s is in the process of becoming a clearance center for discounted merchandise from front-line stores. In the past few months, the Dillard’s Tri-County store has been liquidating merchandise and fixtures ranging from shirts and skirts to towels and tables. A store once packed with items now operates in a shell of a space with a smaller crew.

Dillard’s spokeswoman Julie Bull declined to comment about the retailer’s plans, except to say that its clearance status at Tri-County is not a forerunner to closing completely.

New plans gauged for Tri-County

Tulloch, the Springdale official, is optimistic that the mall’s fortunes can be reversed.

If Dillard’s were to leave, Tulloch said the space could be repositioned for offices. tore could be repositioned as office space. The space would need an overhaul but with the amount of available parking, it could be desirable for a company seeking to accommodate employees. He noted that the mall’s owners also develop hotels.

Tron also said a regional mall may find new life as a “power center,” which is basically a collection of big box stores in one area such as Target, Walmart, Home Depot and Best Buy.

Yearout said the mall and surrounding area may be able to compete as a discount retail hub. Standout office tenants may be difficult for the mall with a larger concentration of companies occupying spaces around West Chester and Blue Ash.

While mall retail still exists and can be successful, it will be difficult to attract them as in years past to an underutilized building in dire need to rehabilitation. Many retailers are trending to fill smaller spaces and are seeking to be closer to shoppers.

“It has another life as something slightly different,” Yearout said. “What do you do with it, it’s not exactly cut and dried.”

It may not be the friendliest activity, but Sellet said one way Tri-County could bolster its activity by pulling retailers from around Forest Park or at Forest Fair Village, the more than 25-year-old struggling shopping center sandwiched between Tri-County and Northgate Mall in Colerain Township.

Hamilton of Lockland said she does most of her shopping for clothes and shoes online because the stores in Tri-County aren’t popular with her and other shoppers. The key for her to return: Stores that sell more fashionable threads.

“I would go back to Tri-County in a heart beat (but) there’s just no store that I want to shop at there any more,” Supe said.

“It was a good place to hang out,” said Hamilton, who recalls hanging out at the mall as a teen.

I cover real estate, retail and development across Greater Cincinnati. Email me at mailto:btweh@enquirer.com" rel="nofollow - btweh@enquirer.com .

Date Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 3:25pm

Mall owner: Tenants signing at ‘turtle speed’

By http://www.journal-news.com/staff/rick-mccrabb/" rel="nofollow - Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

The owner of the Towne Mall Galleria understands the frustration from local shoppers and mall merchants who expected major tenants to have opened stores in the shopping center by now.

George Ragheb, of SM Mary Ohio, which purchased the mall in October 2012, said he’d announce “major tenants” had signed leases before the end of 2013. That deadline has expired, and the biggest movement at the mall has been the closing of the Finish Line because of “results and demand in the market,” store officials said.

Ragheb, who lives in California, was in town late last week, and said negotiations with potential “significant, national tenants” are continuing, though he admitted it’s at “turtle speed.”

He said signing tenants is like the question: What came first, the chicken or the egg?

“Tenant A wants to sign but not until Tenant B signs,” he said Friday while sitting in the mall’s office. “Then we talk to Tenant B and they say they will sign only after Tenant A signs.”

He hopes to announce the signing of tenants in a month or so, but he hesitated to pinpoint a certain date.

When Ragheb and his investors purchased the mall, retailers were suffering through slow sales, which made them leery to expand, he said. He said retailers are evaluating possible new locations “20 times harder” because of the weak economy.

That’s evident throughout the mall. Less than 50 percent of the retail space is occupied, and Ragheb said a “good number” would be 95 percent. Right now, he said, the top priority is acquiring at least one tenant to lease the former 111,734-square-foot Dillard’s property. He expects to divide the Dillard space into three units, and once that first tenant is signed, and announced, Ragheb predicted the rest would follow at “light speed.”

Ragheb knows people are reluctant to believe the mall can be successful. He has read the comments posted from readers of The Journal-News. People think the mall is for sale, a false rumor, he said.

“I’m not very well liked,” he said with a grin.

That hasn’t deterred his determination. Ragheb said his company is “very committed” to the mall and he believes the region offers a “very strong retail market.” He pointed across the street at the full parking lots at the restaurants and hotels. When he visits Middletown, he stays at the Fairfield Inn and said there’s always a wait at Olive Garden.

It was mentioned that Target, located across the street from the mall, recently announced it was closing eight stores, including the Middletown and Trotwood locations. That was expected, Ragheb said, because Target and Walmart were located too close together and both offered similar merchandise and differing prices.

He remains confident, he said.

“We can make it work here,” he said. “We didn’t go into business to lose money. That’s not how we operate. We just need people to trust us.”

The group spent $3.3 million purchasing the 465,451-square-foot mall and other properties. They spent $850,000 on the mall, $1.2 million on Dillard’s and $1.25 million on Elder-Beerman. The land and building were valued at $9.48 million, according to the Warren County Auditor’s office said.

STAYING WITH THE STORY

Since the sale of Towne Mall Galleria more than one year ago, The Journal-News has covered the latest developments of the deal with in-depth stories. Count on us to continue this coverage of the mall and its impact on the Butler County economy.

Comment(s)

Comment(s) 1-14 of 14

Date Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 10:52am
Failure of the Towne Mall is imminent and self evident.

Review the owners statement:

"What came first, the chicken or the egg?"

Translation- Do we put in large sums of capital and then attract retailers, or do we sign retailers and then modernize?

He won't put in capital. Retailers won't rent without capital improvements first.

No traction, stalemate.

Mall doomed.

Next....no story, end is near on Mall. Look for car lot called CarMax.  

-------------

Posted By: FmrMide81
Date Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 12:13pm
Uh oh-the Chinese company that was going to build a new plant in Lebanon has backed out-THAT'S why no tenants are signing leases...glad the Galleria management have such a high opinion of their customers intelligence...

Posted By: processor
Date Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 12:41pm
Acclaro is spot on. Town Mall has been boxed in with the Austin Pike, Monroe, Liberty Way, and Bridgewater. No one in their right mind would invest the $100's of millions that it would take to get the mall special. Even with this it won't be any nicer than the others. Middletown doesn't have the demographic to support a nice mall on it's own, and why would people drive past the other malls just to go to Town Mall? It's a shame that it happened, but not much can be done now.

Posted By: buckeye43719
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:45pm
Any news on new tenants at the Towne mall. 

-------------
Jesus is the only way to Heaven

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:56am
About Towne Mall Galleria...no new tenants, but plenty of tenants still vacating. Most recently, Home Connections closed in mid-March and Kay Jewelers, whose last day was Saturday, April 19th. Several other tenants are contemplating leaving because sales are way down from where they were at this time last year. It is a ghost town with very little foot traffic and all in all, this Mall is a very depressing place to work (yes, I do work here so I know a bit about what I am talking about). A bit of the potholes in the parking lot have been roughly filled, so I don't quite feel as if I am going to get my car stuck in one. I suspect that if you stay tuned, you will hear of more tenants leaving in the next few weeks. And by the way, as each tenants lease expired, no new leases have been offered, much less signed. We simply know that we are staying at least one more month when our monthly rent checks are cashed. And by the way, rent is ridiculously low at this Mall. I know that in the past 18 months on this site, it has been suggested that the new Owners should cut the tenants some slack and reduce rent. They have, along with other offers, but when your bottom line falls lower and lower, it makes no difference how cheap your rent is! You simply cannot make any money as a tenant!

Middletown folks constantly bemoan the state of the Mall now and talk about how grand it was back in the day, but then they leave your store without making a purchase. Talk is cheap. Support these merchants who are struggling to stay open!!!

Posted By: Lebanonian
Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 5:21pm
I went to the Social Security office a few weeks ago and wound up wandering into Elder-Beerman's. I bought a nice London Fog jacket for 40% of retail. I've shopped at stores there at Christmas time for convenience. So I've done my part to support the merchants there. But Middletown is just a depressing destination, like "The Walking Dead" set w/o zombies.  

Date Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

I suspect that if you stay tuned, you will hear of more tenants leaving in the next few weeks. And by the way, as each tenants lease expired, no new leases have been offered, much less signed. We simply know that we are staying at least one more month when our monthly rent checks are cashed.

Didn't the two new restaurants - Ice Ice Smoothie and the Greek place shutdown after only a few months?

The last time I was in the mall, I noticed several of the "newer" tenants the new owners had bragged about are now gone.  ALM Sports, Home Connection, Splattered Platter Pottery Studio.

That with the loss of Finish Line and Kay Jewelers recently.

Sounds like little faith in the new owners from retailers.

Date Posted: May 01 2014 at 7:09pm
I saw on Middletown Journal's web site that All About You Catering will close by July 1st. According to the malls owner  George Ragheb, he will have good news shortly. Come on now. Give it up, Middletown is a lost cause.

-------------

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: May 01 2014 at 8:25pm
More tenants exit Middletown’s Towne Mall

By Chelsey Levingston

Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
More tenants are calling it quits at the half-empty Towne Mall Galleria, while others wait for the turnaround promised by the property’s owners.

“We just stand here every day in a dead mall waiting for something to happen,” said Melody Palmer, owner of All About You Catering and Bakery.

All About You Catering opened a storefront at the mall in February 2013. Palmer has voiced support for the Middletown mall’s redevelopment until recently. Now she’s saying promises to repave the parking lot, and to sign leases with major foot-traffic tenants have been empty.

“If you don’t stand behind your promises, you can’t get people to move in here. You’ve got to say what you mean and follow through,” Palmer said.

All About You Catering will close its mall location by July 1, unless a “miracle” happens to change her mind, Palmer said. When the mall location closes, All About You Catering will move back to a test kitchen and the eight-year-old catering business will remain open regardless, she said.

The catering and bakery business joins a growing list of other shops to announce their departures so far in 2014 from the struggling mall, including Worthmore Clothes Shop, Finish Line, Wigs for a Change and Home Connection.

Towne Mall tenant Game-Lan(d) & PCs posted this on its Facebook page March 29: “Anyone who has stopped by in the last week may have noticed we are packing things up. Like many businesses in that mall we are closing our doors.”

Kay Jewelers also shut its doors in April. A spokesperson for Kay Jewelers declined comment.

“Every time a business leaves, we’re all hurt,” Palmer said. “If I stand out in the middle of the mall, there’s not one person in this mall.”

Remaining Towne Mall tenants include Elder-Beerman, Miss Selby’s Soap, Bath & Body Works, Rogers Jewelers and others.

“I do plan to stay open for now. I do have a strong customer base in the community, and they do support the store in there,” said Renee Selby, owner of Miss Selby’s Soap, which opened at Towne Mall in April 2013.

“Obviously I would like to see more stores in there as we all would, but I know we’re in a very depressed economy and the owners are doing everything they can,” Selby said.

Owner George Ragheb, of California, whose business entity SA Mary Ohio LLC purchased Towne Mall in October 2012, promised good news soon.

“I don’t have any news, but we will maybe make some news soon,” Ragheb told this news outlet on Thursday.

Ragheb has made similar promises since purchasing the enclosed the mall, telling merchants that major tenant announcements would come by the end of 2013. From 2012 to 2013, 11 small businesses opened. However, some of those same businesses have since closed such as Wigs for A Change and Home Connection.

Last year passed, and no new anchor tenants have signed leases.

Then in January, mass retailer Target announced plans to close eight underperforming stores nationwide due to declining sales, including one in Middletown located across Ohio 122 from Towne Mall.

“It’s difficult to revitalize a mall, this mall in particular. One of the biggest problems we have is Target closing,” Ragheb said. “New national tenants are very afraid to enter the market when a Target is leaving.”

In attracting retailers, Towne Mall is competing with new developments such as Austin Landing in Miami Twp. and Liberty Center, under construction in Liberty Twp.; Cincinnati Premium Outlets in Monroe; and Bridgewater Falls Lifestyle Shopping Center in Fairfield Twp. In a similar situation, Forest Fair Mall in Fairfield and Forest Park is a 1.5 million-square-foot mall also sitting mostly empty as owners pay off delinquent property tax bills. Forest Fair Mall was bought in 2010 and plans by new owners to redevelop it as a family attraction with a hotel, ice arena and amusement center have yet to come to fruition.

While saying that leasing the property has been a lot of hard work, Ragheb still offered reassurances that Towne Mall will be “100 percent successful.”

“We have to find tenants that believe that the Middletown people will buy from local retailers that open up in the area, and it’s a great market to be in,” he said.

“You have been patient for a while, please be patient for just a little bit more,” he said. “We will soon have updates about the mall.”

City Economic Development Director Denise Hamet said she’s been in contact with the mall owners.

“I anticipate an announcement prior to June 1 of an anchor tenant in the Dillard’s building as well as some possible outlot tenants. I also anticipate seeing some construction renovations starting in the next two months and that’s going to potentially include some sustainable energy improvements to the building,” Hamet said.

“The image of the interchange is very critical. We recently sent a proposal on a large scale office project and I intend to step that up,” Hamet said.

Towne Mall Galleria is located on Towne Boulevard in the Warren County portion of Middletown, in the section of the city referred to as the Renaissance District near the Ohio 122-Interstate 75 interchange. The more than 465,000-square-foot mall first opened in 1977.

A group of California investors including Ragheb bought the property for $850,000 in 2012, and later bought the adjoining Elder-Beerman and former Dillard’s properties. Dillard’s department store closed in 2008.

-------------
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:48am

CONTINUE COVERAGE BY JOURNAL

This newspaper has provided unbeatable coverage of Towne Mall Galleria’s development

October 2012: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/sale-of-towne-mall-a-done-deal/nSbgk/" rel="nofollow - Sale of mall a ‘done deal’

October 2012: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/mccrabb-a-new-towne-mall-just-what-city-needs/nScB9/" rel="nofollow - A ‘new’ Towne Mall just what city needs

October 2012: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/investors-committed-to-towne-mall-redevelopment/nScCy/" rel="nofollow - Investors committed to Towne Mall redevelopment

December 2012: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/towne-mall-owners-buy-former-dillards-property-for/nTcxy/" rel="nofollow - Towne Mall owners buy former Dillard’s property for $1M

January 2013: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/dunhams-sports-leaving-towne-mall/nTwtc/" rel="nofollow - Dunham’s Sports leaving Towne Mall

February 2013: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/catering-business-to-expand-open-in-towne-mall/nWJbf/" rel="nofollow - Catering business to expand, open in Towne Mall

April 2013: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/business-expands-to-towne-mall/nXHt6/" rel="nofollow - Business expands to Towne Mall

April 2013: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/towne-mall-hopes-to-sign-right-national-tenants-so/nXYJ2/" rel="nofollow - Towne Mall hopes to sign ‘right’ national tenants soon

May 2013: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/7th-new-shop-brightens-outlook/nXpd2/" rel="nofollow - 7th new shop brightens outlook

August 2013: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/new-towne-mall-owners-purchase-elder-beerman-prope/nZNXQ/" rel="nofollow - New Towne Mall owners purchase Elder-Beerman property

September 2013: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/towne-mall-merchants-impatient-for-anchor-store-an/nZzLM/" rel="nofollow - Towne Mall merchants impatient for anchor store announcement

January 2014: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/target-closing-blamed-for-towne-mall-stall/ncnhb/" rel="nofollow - Target closing blamed for Towne Mall stall

January 2014: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/finish-line-closes-at-towne-mall/nc5HN/" rel="nofollow - Finish Line closes at Towne Mall

February 2014: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/mall-owner-tenants-signing-at-turtle-speed/ndPd9/" rel="nofollow - Mall owner: Tenants signing at ‘turtle speed’

February 2014: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/worthmore-closing-its-middletown-clothing-store-af/ndcFn/" rel="nofollow - Worthmore closing its Middletown clothing store after 92 years |||

HOW MUCH MORE DO WE REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE TOWNE MALL?

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 1:59pm
Judy is Trying to help development in Middletown :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6StlikLsezY

Posted By: Bobbie
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 10:57am
I had the chance to visit the mall yesterday - just curious, who is responsible for cutting the grass.  Looked like they were working on the parking lot, based on all the orange cones up - but the grass was extremely tall.

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:14pm
the grass was extremely tall!!! hmmm  maybe they are gonna have a tall grass sell !! LOL the cones are just the maze you need to avoid if you decide to park and come -on -in to look for nothing...Confused

Posted By: Iron Man
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by bumper bumper wrote:

maybe they are gonna have a tall grass sell !!

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Why isn't the city putting an orange sign up for tall grass? Confused

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 11:28am
Towne Mall has a new leasing company.  Same agent as before.  She must have switched companies.

http://www.jllproperty.com/US-Retail-en-US/All-property-Cincinnati/Towne-Mall-3461-Towne-Boulevard-Middletown-Ohio-45005/61492

New renderings are posted wit this listing.

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 11:44am
I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted By: chmoore1
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 12:07pm
I had to go to the mall last week. Besides Elder-Beerman and Sears, there were 7 stores operating (Worthmore was closing the next day). Two as you enter the main door, Rogers, two (Christian Book Store and one other down by old McAlpin's), none going to Sears, and two (Bath & Body Works and Radio Shack) going to EB.   

Posted By: FmrMide81
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 12:09pm
Are you kidding? Once word gets out that Doug Adkins is in command, tenants will be flocking to the place-there will be a MAJOR announcement any minute now....yep, any minute now....well, soon, very soon...they promised....

Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:49pm
Major announcement any minute.. He promised a major announcement and  people don't break there promise.  He should get into politics. Either party, it doesn't make a difference.

-------------

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:41pm
And by the way, All About You Catering left Towne Mall Galleria by June 1st!

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:26pm
It couldn't shut down, the towne mall owner promised a major announcement.You must be mistaken.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 9:12pm
The sign with all the stores on it got blown away with the last round of storms we had on Wednesday. 

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

The sign with all the stores on it got blown away with the last round of storms we had on Wednesday. 

That sign was worth at least $1.28.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 8:35am
Apparently the owners of the Cincinnati Bell property are having better luck at redeveloping their property than the owners of the Towne Mall.

Towne Mall Development Plan
Minor Amendment
Petitioner:
Ken Knuckles of Development Management Group, LLC on behalf of property owner Towne Mall

3363 Towne Blvd./Pendleton Cr. (former Cincinnati Bell Store)

Proposal:
Demolition of the existing building and replace with a retail
mattress store with parking and landscaping.

Decision on Towne Mall Development Plan
Minor Amendment

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 11:07am
i made a trip to middletown a couple days ago and went to the mall to sears in the tool dept, thats it!! think i should change my name to toolguyLOLLOL well got what i wanted, but i just got to wonder how in the heck do they keep it open? i was out wasting some gas and thought i would go to monroe next and the red lights cams at oxford st and old 25 sure have some mighty quick yellow red going on!!! i was first in line at the light with no one behind me so i came to a stop with no problem, across the street was a rear end crash, the people were out of the cars looking at the damage,, my guess is that it had to be of the quick green then real quick yellow red!! right before i got there, i was going slow before i stopped cause there was no way they are getting my pic!!LOL but anyway from what i seen of my old home town, its alot worse now then what it was 8 years ago when i loaded the wagon and moved after 50 years born and raised in middletown, oooo well !! i did have my .45 on my side just in case i ran into anything stupid! but was real glad leaving middletown city limits again!! and returning to my new home and a purdy new blacktop street!!Big smile and in a excellent rating school that spends way less than middletown, to do the job!! and also way way less crime!! city leaders then and now have sure made a mess that, imo  the mess is not done messing!! now all you can do is sleep in it!! they have wissed the funds away for many many years and it is sure showing it!!! but lookout mr. doug is here to save the day!!Wacko

Date Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 11:42pm
Don't worry bumper it will eventually creep into every town and city in America. Apathy the killer of America.

Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 6:09pm
Well I guess it's official: we will be getting a Burlington Coat Factory in the place of McAlpins at the Towne Mall.

Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 9:31pm
They apparently plan to open by Fall? 

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:27am
Nice catch, where did you get the info? 

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 7:56am
From the memo sent to the remaining tenants.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 8:01am
When I saw the post, I did a quick web check.  The are apparently hiring?  Though there is conflicting info in the postings online.  There is both a MIddletown, Ohio and Chicago reference.

http://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/store-management-opportunities-new-store-opening-in-middletown-ohio-JV_IC1145731_KO0,67_IE114.htm?jl=1092362647&paoIdKey=MA==

http://www.job.com/my.job/jobdisplay/page=jobview/pt=2/exl=1/key=234123691/

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 11:34am
Official announcement

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/burlington-coat-factory-to-open-at-towne-mall/ngXJf/" rel="nofollow - http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/burlington-coat-factory-to-open-at-towne-mall/ngXJf/

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:22pm

Posted: 11:17 a.m. Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Burlington Coat Factory to open at Towne Mall

By  http://www.journal-news.com/staff/chelsey-levingston/" rel="nofollow - Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Burlington Coat Factory announced Tuesday it will open a new 55,000-square-foot store in fall 2014 in Middletown.

The new Burlington will be at the Towne Mall Galleria, located at 3455 Towne Blvd. This opening will bring approximately 50 to 100 new jobs to the community and will be one of 20 Burlington locations in Ohio, according to the company.

“We are thrilled to open a new Burlington in the Middletown community, bringing even more jobs to the neighborhood and providing local residents with a valued shopping experience,” Tom Kingsbury, president and chief executive officer of the discount clothing retailer Burlington, said in a statement.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:37pm

Nice to have some good news for once. I think this is a good fit for Middletown.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 8:28am
Excellent news! The Bizjournal article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2014/07/retailer-plans-massive-store-up-to-100-new-jobs.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2014/07/retailer-plans-massive-store-up-to-100-new-jobs.html

Surprisingly little conversation here though. Burlington Coat is a great store to have in town. This should be an easy remodel - the key is moving mid-sized big boxes like hh gregg, DSW Shoe, Marshall's etc. to the mall, with storefronts facing out and connections leading into the mall. This is similar to what Northgate, Dayton Mall, and Tri-County to a lesser extent have done.

-------------

Posted By: Neil Barille
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 9:26am
This is good news.  I would think there should be some ripple effect and we may see other stores opening up.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 9:52am
Best part is, it will probably help revamp part of the exterior and make the mall a little more modern looking. 

-------------
Itsa me, mario!

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:00am
Originally posted by itsamee itsamee wrote:

Best part is, it will probably help revamp part of the exterior and make the mall a little more modern looking. 

One can only hope there are improvements to the exterior as shown in the renderings. 

In other retail-related news, the former Target store is listed for sale at $3m

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18699091/6775-Roosevelt-Ave-Middletown-OH/" rel="nofollow - http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18699091/6775-Roosevelt-Ave-Middletown-OH/

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:54am
This opportunity could put a very attractive front view to the center.
That alone could spark interest/appeal to give us a look of actually being alive out there., and a reason to walk to the eastern end of the mall to visit future businesses between.

jmo

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 3:20pm
What happened to the wine shop that they were talking about going in at Target space? Is that not going to happen?

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

What happened to the wine shop that they were talking about going in at Target space? Is that not going to happen?

I searched high and low for any confirmation on that and could not find any. Im not sure how true that was.

-------------
Itsa me, mario!

Posted By: katiebell
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 4:39pm
Went to Rogers Jewelry last week and the girl there said there would also be a DSW Shoe, and BW3's in an outlot. Pig

Date Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 7:48am
If this is true, those are two VERY welcome businesses. 

-------------
Itsa me, mario!

Date Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by katiebell katiebell wrote:

Went to Rogers Jewelry last week and the girl there said there would also be a DSW Shoe, and BW3's in an outlot. Pig

I also heard from a waitress from Applebees that there was a BW3 going in the outlot by the Burlington Coat Factory.

She said BW3 will be a competitor and is expected to take some business away from Applebees. 

-------------

Middletown USA

Posted By: middletownscouter
Date Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 10:56am
I'd bet that the folks at Fricker's probably feel the same way.

Date Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 11:44am
Hey, they need shoes too.

-------------
Itsa me, mario!

Date Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 12:49pm

BW3 for Fricker's is a good tradeoff, if it came to that.  Fricker's is god awful.

Date Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

BW3 for Fricker's is a good tradeoff, if it came to that.  Fricker's is god awful.

And the inside is just nasty.

Posted By: middletownscouter
Date Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 1:15pm
The BW3's that used to be in the shopping center where Tractor Supply and Big Lots is now seemed to do pretty good business back when they were open. I think they would do just as well or probably better as an outlot business near the interstate on the Towne Mall property.

Date Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 1:00pm
More progress at the TMG?  This item is on this week's planning commission agenda

II.
Towne Mall Preliminary Development Plan

Minor Amendment
Petitioner: George Y. Ragheb representing Bless Properties, LLC

Proposal:Construction of seven new outlot parcel buildings in areas currently used for parking

Decision on Towne Mall Development Plan

Date Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 1:25pm
You need to keep the Middletown Planning Commission out of the equation so they don't throw a monkey wrench in getting things done. Let business professionals do what they know how to do and keep the "second guessers" out of it. IMO

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 10:50am
From MJ

Mattress Firm to open near Middletown’s Towne Mall
MIDDLETOWN —
Bedding retailer Mattress Firm is planning to open in 2015 a Middletown store next to Towne Mall Galleria, further bolstering the mall’s redevelopment efforts.

A former Cincinnati Bell store at 3363 Towne Blvd. will be demolished, and a new Mattress Firm will be built in its place, according to city records. Kim Hardcastle, a spokeswoman for the Texas-based mattress company, confirmed the news.

This comes on the heels of a July announcement that Burlington Coat Factory plans to open this fall an anchor store at Towne Mall. Burlington will lease space formerly occupied by Dillard’s at 3455 Towne Blvd., said George Ragheb, one of the investors behind the California group, SA Mary Ohio LLC, that bought the mall in October 2012. Dillard’s department store closed in 2008.

SA Mary Ohio does not own the Cincinnati Bell property where Mattress Firm will be constructed, but Ragheb said the deal is “very important because it brings traffic into the project.”

“It’s an adjacent parcel of land under the same development agreement,” Ragheb said.

“Cincinnati Bell was closed long ago and I applaud Anchor Retail for buying that parcel and bringing Mattress Firm into it and turning that into a viable retail outlet rather than another closed store,” he said.

Plans for the new Mattress Firm are still in early stages, so more information about the store’s size, opening date or hiring are not yet available, Hardcastle said.

The current building sitting at the 3363 Towne Blvd. site does not suit Mattress Firm’s use. They’re proposing to demolish it and replace it with a larger building with more parking, according to the minutes of a July planning commission meeting of the city.

Also, Ragheb was scheduled to speak at Wednesday’s planning commission meeting about the construction of seven new out lot parcel buildings in areas currently used for parking at Towne Mall.

Currently Towne Mall, located near the city’s Ohio 122 interchange with Interstate 75, sits half empty. A group of California investors including Ragheb bought the property for $850,000 in 2012, and later bought the adjoining Elder-Beerman and former Dillard’s properties.

“This area is a strong regional area and it will be successful,” Ragheb said.

Mattress Firm is a good fit for Towne Mall, whose tenants include Elder-Beerman, Sears and Rogers Jewelers, said Denise Hamet, Middletown economic development director. Other adjacent out parcels to the mall are PNC Bank and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

“I have driven the area to look at various Mattress Firm sites, and they are nicely constructed and seem to fit in well and drive foot traffic to the other tenants where they locate,” Hamet said.

-------------
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 12:32pm
Hamet's last statement reveals a couple things -- she is good at time wasting and she makes uninformed conclusions.
Regardless of the competency of the Economic Development Department, I hope Mattress Firm is part of a successful revival of the mall.

Date Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 12:26am
Lots of opinions, few facts in this thread.... and posting full articles goes against TOS of Cox News and other news agencies, just as an FYI. Found that out recently. Ask www.urbanohio.com/forum2 if you really want proof. They had to clip every article in their database.

What I see is a lot of positive movement happening. Why isn't their any congratulations for SA Mary Ohio LLC or others who had faith in Towne Mall and are making this happen? After all, it's not you all that are taking out the loans to make this happen...

Print Page | Close Window