FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Salt Supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Salt Supply
    Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 6:56am
Article in the Journal about the salt supply. Apparently the city has an over abundance of salt and wants to sell the excess to other cities at a profit. Would the cities needing salt want to buy from Middletown with a price markup? If the price per ton almost doubled from last year, is it a good idea to sell the excess now , realizing that the city could pay double the price next year for the very same salt they are trying to unload this year? Help me here business people. Does this make sense or not? The city was suppose to buy 1200 tons for $55,000, but the salt supplier won't honor the purchase???? Didn't the city have a contract with the salt supplier? If so, doesn't the salt supplier have to honor the contract legally? Bressler in the county engineering office says the salt supply is short. If true, why wouldn't Middletown want to keep all they have, given the increased price per ton and the lack of supply? Why don't I understand the logic of these decisions?
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 10:39am
Why did the price of salt double? Is salt a comodity?

Sounds like it would be prudent to keep our salt and not sell it.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 11:52am
I don't follow the need to sell something you have excess of at the moment, just to turn around and buy more of it later. Is there a problem storing the excess salt? Will the excess salt go bad? Do we want to sell it to the other cities that have a shortage just to do them a favor? I need to go get the paper out of my car before I ask to many stupid questions.  :)
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 12:13pm

Ok

Mr. Marconi said that selling the salt is just good business and that it's not about being a good neighbor.

No problems with that and if the city were a private business it might be another story.

However my personal view of government would caution against getting in the salt business.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic